Could Matt Elam’s decision come next week?

elamshove

After Matt Elam postponed his announcement during the Army All-American game, everyone assumed he’d wait until Signing Day to decide between Alabama and Kentucky.  However, his coach thinks his decision could come next week.  John Hardin head coach Chad Lewis spoke with the Herald-Leader’s Ben Roberts, and said that Elam will sit down with his family on Sunday after his unofficial visit to Kentucky to go over his decision, and possibly announce next week:

“It’s not set in stone yet, but I feel like he’s going to possibly announce late in the week next week,” Lewis told the Herald-Leader.

Could the never-ending recruitment finally be coming to an end?  Read more of Lewis’ comments about the Cats’ chances over at the Herald-Leader.

58 Comments for Could Matt Elam’s decision come next week?

1. bluebloodtoo
    11:41 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

If Elam chooses Alabama over UK, we UK fans aren’t going to act like 5 year olds and blow up his twitter account are we?

• We Hang Banners
      12:03 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Nope, because in four years or so he will still be making visits to schools. Talking about how very soon he will know.

2. greer
    11:43 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

Stay home big fella, be a hero.

• Correction
      12:24 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

“Stay home big fella, be a zero.” – There I fixed it for you.

• Trolldar
      12:36 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

“Correction” why would he be a zero? even if UK continues to suck, the 3 former UK players going to the Super Bowl next week will tell you that you can still be a successful football player at UK.

3. PatCat
    11:46 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

I feel fairly confident that Elam will choose Alabama. He enjoys the recruitment process, he enjoys playing games, and Kentucky (and Kentucky fans) have been falling all over him for months. I get the feeling that he wants to stretch out the love-fest as long as possible before heading south. I am a big fan of Stoops and I am amazed by his recruiting prowess, but taking a recruit from Alabama in a head-up fight seems a tall order.

• mashburnfan1
      7:45 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

I bet $20 the “Sunday sit down with family talk” takes place at the dinner table.

4. symphonist41169
    11:47 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

If he picks Alabama OF COURSE there will be some idiots who’ll show their asses on Twitter. KY/Bama, Stay/Go, Hero/Goat, just make a decision & announce. I’m worn out from following it this long & am getting to the point that I really don’t care where he chooses. Cats? Great, be a hero. Tide? Great, can’t really blame you. But make a decision already!!!

• Pierre
      11:59 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

Well said.

5. CAT fan in TX
    11:48 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

Bluebloodtoo, unfortunately there will always be a few. Every fan base has them though.

I like this kid a lot, and the funny thing is, his hair might be one of my favorite things. I’ll root for him wherever he goes, but it sure would be great to see the entire fan base rooting for him. I believe he really would be a fan favorite at KY. A celebrity, if you will.

6. jaws2
    11:50 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

The next Mister Cobble; maybe.

7. Jdawg
    11:53 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

WHO CARES!

8. Fat Albert
    11:58 am January 24, 2014 Permalink

This tub of goo makes me look anorexic.

• Disgusted
      12:01 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

What’s the point of this? It’s not even funny.

• 9-asty
      12:29 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

I thought I was funny.

• Hawkeye Tim
      1:38 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

It’s funny when the comment is read with the poster’s name…..and something you say typing on a keyboard and not face to face with a large and strong enough to rip my arms off my body.

• haha
      2:44 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

i found it hilarious

• haha
      8:45 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

still hilarious. It’s 2014, hilarious…so he could beat someone up, congrats

9. LeX
    12:04 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Sounds like Alabama to me.

10. Ryan
    12:06 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Feels like Wiggins all over again!

• Dingo
      12:56 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Exactly!! I bet some of the UK players could care less where he goes at this point too. We don’t want a prima dona… we want somebody with a nasty mean streak who loves to hit.

11. rick
    12:07 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

So much drama for so little.

12. KG
    12:15 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

if he chooses UK, great. If it’s Ala. I wish him well.

13. Hungry
    12:25 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Tyler, where is my sandwich?

• TT
      12:44 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

your bologna and mayonnaise are in the fridge, bread is in the pantry. Make it yourself.

• JayOne
      3:35 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Please pass the mustard and dill pickle chips

14. stevem
    12:26 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Please no more Elam nonsense until after he commits to BAMA

15. 9-asty
    12:28 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

He is going to announce next week… That’s he goin to announce on signing day. And then he’ll announce that he’s going to wait a couple more weeks.

16. Carter
    12:34 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

The greatest satisfaction would come if he decided to go to Alabama and told us that he made the decision based on idiots from Kentucky making negative posts about him on KSR. Then the backward L could come forward and claim credit for his post.

• That'sStupid
      12:38 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Yeah, bc a kid will base one of the biggest decisions of his life based on the comment section of KSR. Give me a break.

17. Fat Albert is a Moron
    12:35 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Fat Albert, you suck. Troll. Probably a U of L loser over here trolling our boards.

18. Cayuts by a hunnert!
    12:57 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Is it just me or is this kid not a dead ringer for Shrek?

• Cayuts by a hunnert!
      1:02 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

And lest you think I’m trying to be offensive, I think Shrek would have made one helluva defensive tackle. Agile, strong, ill-tempered. Just saying.

19. chris
    12:59 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

If he decides on bama then so be it. I believe he should indicate to coach Stoops one way or another this by mid week so UK can make a move for another DT if needed. Whatever he decides, I say best of luck.

20. JEREMY
    1:04 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Would love to see Matt wear his HOMESTATE BLUE and WHITE! But if he chooses bama then I will be disappointed but wish the kid nothing but the best! Felt the same way about Shawn Alexander out of Boone county when he ended up at bama… Come play for the CATS Matt!!! #BBN!

21. No tears in my eyes
    1:10 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

I am one that believes in the importance of a players attitude over skills. Not real fond of either with this recruit. Not impressed in the Army bowl game. Saw him loafing (quit totally) on a play that went to his opposite side in the game. UK will be better off without him.

Kid had the opportunity to help UK get more recruits if he would have committed months ago. Me over we attitude. Hope he loves Coach Saben. His high school head coach did him no favors allowing this to not only drag on, but become such a high media story.

Go Cats!

• MattP
      1:30 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

I agree. I understand that he will be a huge get for the cats but he just doesn’t pass the “look” test as far as attitude goes for me. Every picture I see of him he is all swelled up and acting hard. He knows people want his services and he is playing with them. I just don’t like the way this kids handles himself. Even in this picture you can see how he thinks he is so much better than his other team mates – he totally squeezes the kid on the left out and has to be the center of attention.

• Me
      2:25 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Come on guys. He’s still a freakin kid. It’s a huge decision that will set the course of his life so if he’s up in the air and confused I can’t blame him, and neither should you.

22. So Tired
    1:12 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

I’m SOOO TIRED of waiting for his decision. Just pick a school and stick with it, either way.

23. ribin
    1:14 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Come on down — will have a ‘test’ everyday with Kruk — both side of the ball would improve.

24. The quintessential fan that reads too much into little things
    1:15 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

You can tell just by the way he is sitting that he is selfish and has a “me first” attitude. Look how he is hogging the space there. I bet he always takes both armrests at the movie theater too.

• MattP
      1:36 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

I agree and see the same thing you do. Every picture I see of the kid he is a swelled up and acting like billy bad-ass. Maybe it is just my perception but he seems like “that” kid.

25. Always a bridesmaid
    1:34 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

What player has every coach visit them at least 5 times, has the head coach ride them around in their Mercedes, has the entire UK coaching staff visit them together at Christmas, yet still can’t decide?

He’s like the girl you love, but won’t commit to you for a relationship. So what do you do, you ask out the second prettiest girl, she treats you like a king, and you live happily ever after, and finally realize how better off you are in the long run.

Dump him now!

26. Jughead
    1:36 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Can we PLEEZE only talk about Justin Bieber? Don’t you people have lives?

27. TN Kat
    1:51 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

To much drama/hype. Reminding me of 40~0 threads. More interested in the other guys who want to be here. More Randall Cobbs, less Twin overhypes.

28. Damond
    1:56 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Hell I bet they will even Engrave his name on the end of the bench at Alabama so he will feel special while he rides the pine!!

29. MustangCat
    1:58 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

I’m down here in E-town, and i hear a lot of good and bad reports on Elam. From inside sources. Supposed to be from a bad family situation, but i hear he is pretty smart! Physical attributes are off the charts, but is gonna play catch up in some departments. The one thing that i think about where he is concerned is that Saban hasn’t quit on recruiting him yet. Saban has stocked up on DT’s in this class, and the cupboard is full, and he still wants the kid badly. That says a lot. If he goes to Bama, he won’t see the field for 2, probably 3 years. If he comes to UK, he probably starts next year. Not that he’s ready for that. All in all, i hope he goes with his heart and not his head. UK needs him more. Bama will never miss him.

30. Red Headed Stepchild
    2:09 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

He better hurry up making his decision, UK may fill his spot.

31. Louisville1Cal5
    2:14 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Almost done caring whether we get him or not, this has gone on far too long.

32. RandyB
    2:36 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

If he announces and doesn’t make a big deal of it, he goes to Bama.
    If he announces at school and plays it up big, he’s going to UK.
    And, if the latter happens, Stoops needs to introduce him to Jacob Hyde,
    a KY DL who knows how to make decisions.

33. Mac
    3:00 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

I hope the kid stays at home, but it’s really been too much. Matt, and folks at KSR: Please, if the kid DOES choose Bama (and who could blame him), just announce it, and close it. Act like it never happened. This has not been a good experience for anyone but Elam.

34. Bean
    3:25 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

Elam is over rated. I saw him and John Hardin get beat by a good 2a desales team. And Elam got stale mated several times and even pancaked once by a 5 ‘ 11″ guard, I think Cochran was his last name. I wouldn’t sweat over Elam, UK will be ok with or without him

35. chris
    3:26 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

It’s important for UK that Elam gives Stoops and company an answer by mid-week. If Elam chooses Bama then so be it and I wish him the best. Give UK the opportunity to go after a back up DT before signing day.

36. Dave in Marshall islands
    3:48 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

If he goes to the game this weekend to take advantage of seeing a basketball game then picks Alabama, I am sorry that I have to feel he is a user and is self centered. I am sick of seeing all the publicity he receives day in and day out here.

I am just thankful for the guys that have committed and are at UK to rebuild our program

37. Mike In The Wood
    3:56 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

I’m guessing Bama but hoping Kentucky.

38. Could Matt Elam's Decision Come Next Week?
    4:09 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

39. hoosier wild cat
    6:27 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

I hope he goes to Kentucky. I really believe he has not made a decision yet. It is a lot of pressure for a Ky native to go to UK. But it would be hard to turn down AL. I will support what ever he does. Lets don’t forget he is a HS senior. The hardest decision I made when I was in HS was what to do after practice or who to ask out. I can only imagine the pressure he is under.

40. CopenhagenCat
    9:08 pm January 24, 2014 Permalink

I’ll be glad when he makes his choice just like everyone else. But some UK fans need to relax. Don’t lose any sleep over it. I hope he picks UK. I really believe Stoops will make him a great player and he will start as soon as he gets here. But if he chooses Bama so be it. Take it easy on the kid. Its his choice no matter what.