Could 2015 Be Cal’s Most Important Class?

Darrell Bird l 247 Sports

Darrell Bird l 247 Sports

Darrell Bird l 247 Sports

By now you’ve heard about the NBA’s push to raise their own age limit from 19 to 20, effectively changing “One and Done” to “Two and Through” nationwide.  Even if it’s passed, though, the earliest it could be implemented is 2016, which means that Karl Towns, Tyler Ulis, Devin Booker, and Trey Lyles don’t have to worry about it at all.  If they want to go after one year, they’re free to do that, guaranteed.

But the 2015 class?  Well, that’s where things get interesting.  Because the 2016 NBA Draft could be subject to the 20-year old age limit, the 2015 class could be the first to have to stick in college for two years.  What does that mean?  Well, to put too fine a point on it, that means we need to get good players next year.  Duh, right?  I mean, isn’t that the goal every year?  “Talent over experience” and all that?  But really, in 2015, that goes beyond important: it becomes mandatory.

Remember that Cal said that if he could keep players for more than a year, he’d stick around a while longer.  Why?  Because it’s easier to keep a good team!  It’s just that simple.  And 2015 could very reasonably be the year that starts.

So how are we doing?

Kentucky’s already on the board with Top-15 player Charles Matthews, a 6’5″ shooting guard from Chicago who committed in February.  That’s a fantastic start.  But who else is considering UK?  How about the #1 and #2 Centers (Stephen Zimmerman and Diamond Stone), #1 Power Forward (Ivan Rabb), #1 Shooting Guard (Malik Newman), and #3 Small Forward (Montaque Gill-Ceasar), among others.  Interestingly, there isn’t a point guard ranked in the top 20 of ESPN’s Super 60, so we’ll have to see how our point guard situation works out by that point.  My suspicion is that we’ll start a sophomore Tyler Ulis to kick off the 2015 season, but we’ll see how things work out.

We always keep a close eye on recruiting, and with 2014 almost completely wrapped, it’s time to turn our attention to Matthews and his future teammates.  We almost always have bragging rights in the recruiting period with Calipari, but in the 2015 class, we could be getting something even better: sophomores.

Think about that.

Article written by Corey Nichols

24 Comments for Could 2015 Be Cal’s Most Important Class?

1. Do whut?
    7:16 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

• gottodoit
      7:54 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

Hard to say Pitino and ‘class’ in the same sentence.

• Samaki Walker's Car
      8:25 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

What is this disgust for knowledge in Cardnation? Math, History and apparently Grammar. Or is this a standard reply from some list. Tell me, what # is this on the Portino’s 15 second lunch buffet.

• Do whut?
      9:09 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

Just as embarrassing as KSR’s fixation on all things Louisville is the number of Cats fans that don’t recognize sarcasm. I’m a Kentucky fan and that whooshing sound you heard was my first comment whizzing by you overhead.

• Not so fast my friend
      9:29 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

I counted the top threads on InsideDerpVille the other day, and 68% (yes, I counted) of the posts had Cal/WWW/UK in the headline. So don’t come up in here with that ish….

THAT’S dedication….

2. Tennesse Coach
    7:27 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

Tennesse Coaching Search Is Heating Up http://t.co/yhnOC2TMqo

3. 2015 Players
    7:34 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

Anyone know where we stand with these 2015 players? Are we the favorite for any certain players or is it wide open?

4. The Real Issue
    7:34 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

The real concern is what they do with the D-League. If players are allowed to go straight to the D-League with higher salaries then it could open the door to the hostage situation that happened before the one and done rule was put in place. If you recruit the top-10, there is a good chance you are going to be left with little as those players choose to get paid in the D-League while prepping for their NBA careers. Leaving colleges scrambling like UL had to do with Telfair.

• Art Vandalay
      7:45 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

D League will never be enough of a high profile place to play to pull all of the top talent. The guys that have obvious OAD potential and a family that is living in poverty will be drawn but college generates so much more buzz and name recognition that playing for 2 years then going into the league will always be a more attractive option.

Flying on UK’s private charter jet and staying at top notch hotels will certainly trump riding a bus in Des Moines, Iowa to stay at the Motel 6 five nights a week to remain anonymous for 2 years.

D League will always be a majority of the NBA’s demotions and European guys. It will never ransack all of CBB’s top flight talent.

5. RuppWorker
    7:45 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

Hey guys I’m not really the type to ever comment but I wanted to get on here to see what you guys think of how I’m feeling. I feel really good about the Harrisons, Poythress, Dakari and even better about the chances of Randle coming back. I’m not saying he is going to stay but I do believe he doesn’t like what he is hearing about his draft status. If the four do come back with the addition of the four recruits coming in with Willie, Lee, Hawkins and Willis I believe we are witnessing the start of a dynasty. Even though I do believe Kentucky is dominating college basketball I wouldn’t consider it a dynasty just yet. We are finally seeing the best of both worlds with one and done players staying an extra year or two and Cal recruiting awesome four year players. With the addition of the new two and through rule implementing in 2016 I whole heartedly feel that these next five years,if Cal stays that long, we will see our Cats not only catch up to UCLAs 11 Championship but pass them. What do you guys think?

• Ghost of Wooden
      7:57 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

Never will happen, you don’t have Sam G.

• Chris Tighe
      11:03 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

Ruppworker..I agree with your thoughts about UK finally passing UCLA by winning #12. Then and only then will I give my blessing for Cal to retire from UK. Until then Cal has more work to do!!!

6. timefor9
    7:49 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

According to the 247 crystal ball, its looking good for us getting malik newman. that kid looks very good. i would love to have him come here.

• Calm down
      8:06 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

Newman is a beast…..would be awesome to have him for two years!

Randle is not coming back…..why would he?

Also does anyone remember Parker saying last year….that he’s not down with the one and done mentality…….uhhh

7. Bulletproof Sunglasses
    8:00 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

I can’t help but feel like you guys are staring the hype machine up again on purpose. STOPPPPP

• Bulletproof Sunglasses
      8:00 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

Starting*

8. Bleed Blue
    8:20 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

Wouldn’t expect to get Teki anymore likely goes to MSU since he stayed for 2015. I would expect our next commitment to be Carlton Bragg who is ranked 6th I believe or around that number on most recruiting sites. Also with Slice on board look out for Chieck Diello. Also Skal Labesirre (sp?). Malik and Stone have talked about a package deal so we will have to make up on Stone cause we haven’t really recruited him.

9. CatBlue in LR
    8:36 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

If Skal and Malik are in a package deal, that’s an Arkansas lean at this point. Arkansas is in heavy with both, and Skal is playing with Arkansas Wings Select with other Arkansas targets Malik Monk and Melvin Frazier. I saw them this weekend here at the Real Deal. Monk is a junior-to-be, and he is the real deal (no pun intended). Probably the best player in the tournament. But, he’s a heavy Arkansas lean–his brother, Marcus, a former Arkansas football and basketball player who holds the Arkansas record for touchdown catches and played briefly in the NFL is back in Fayetteville as a basketball assistant to Mike Anderson. He also helps coach this AAU team.

Skal was not that impressive to me — a few skills, but at 6-10, 210 no strength whatsoever. I was hoping to see Newman with the Jackson Tigers, but for some reason, he didn’t come with them this weekend. That team has a couple of players besides him we’ll see in the SEC year after next, but not at UK.

• cracka
      8:43 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

I hadn’t heard that, but Newman did blog about teaming up with Stone just a couple days ago

10. I Love It
    8:56 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

Ahem, the most important recruit of that class?

Brad Calipari

11. Karen
    11:54 pm April 20, 2014 Permalink

I thought that Cal had no intention of leaving any time soon. I am confused.

12. dnabbo
    7:51 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

Ivan and Zimmerman are absolute Monsters. Im telling you now, Ivan will be a #1 overall pick in the draft. He has it ALL. And a Big Cuz mean streak. Do yourself a favor and look at these 2 young guys vids

13. CatBlue in LR
    12:16 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

It’s still “tip-off” not “kickoff” when you’re talking basketball 🙁

14. Ky_Tom
    12:38 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

( quote) 1.Do whut? April 20, 2014 at 7:16 pm | Permalink | Reply
    Enough with this talk about Cal and 2015. Why aren’t we discussing Pitino’s class of 2015? I mean this is KSR after all..( unquote)

first lets get this straight, KSR, doesn’t mean LSR,,,Its “” Kentucky, Sports Radio::….Not Louisville Sports Radio….”” WE are KENTUCKY””, and have been over the last 100 years or so…In my view, this Radio program KSR was started to talk about the University Of Kentucky, Not the City College of Louisville… Sure Matt Jones talks about Louisville, but only when he needs to..I doubt Matt study’s up on Louisville, as he does Kentucky…He will let a Louisville Fan talk on his radio show, IF only to keep piece on the Air waves.. If I recall, the Louisville program has its own radio show, on another radio station..If you want to know more about Ricky Pee’s next recruiting class, maybe you should start there..