Corey Peters says Cardinals have discussed boycotting Week One of NFL season

Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

After the NBA’s two-day boycott sparked various protests and walkouts throughout the world of sports heading into the weekend, former Kentucky defensive lineman Corey Peters confirmed that a similar holdout is on the table in the NFL.

In an interview with Howard Balzer of SI.com, Peters said that his Arizona Cardinals have discussed a “variety” of options to fight for social justice, including a potential boycott of Week One of the season.

“Just in some of our private conversations, there’s been a variety of things that come up, some more extreme than others,” Peters said. “But we’ve talked about a wide variety of ways to protest and a boycott in Week One, obviously, that’s something that has been discussed. But I think as far as the next steps, I don’t think we’re there yet. We’re still trying to talk with some of the leaders on the team and trying to figure out what’s the best way to make the biggest impact.”

The former Wildcat’s comments come after Seattle’s Russell Wilson said on Friday that if games were played this weekend, the Seahawks would not participate.

Like the NBA ultimately decided when they agreed to resume the playoffs starting this weekend, though, Peters sees the value in players using their platforms in the NFL to “fight for change.”

“One thing that I think some guys are concerned about, and I am as well, is I think this is an excellent platform,” said Peters. “Look at me right here, sitting here talking to you guys right now about these issues. And I don’t want us to give away our platform to continue to try to fight for change. So I think everything has to be weighed equally. And hopefully we will figure out a solution that is in everybody’s best interest.”

The NBA postponed a total of nine games since Wednesday – three per day – following the Milwaukee Bucks’ initial boycott of their Game Five matchup against the Orlando Magic in response to the shooting of Jacob Blake in Wisconsin this past Sunday.

After the two-day pause, the NBA and NBPA agreed to the following commitments moving forward, per Bleacher Report:

• Immediately establish a social justice coalition featuring reps from players, coaches and governors
  • Convert team arenas into voting locations for 2020 general election
  • Create ad spots in playoff games that promote civic engagement

Peters, who played at Kentucky from 2006-2009, is going into his tenth season in the NFL and his fifth with the Cardinals.

Last season, the former Wildcat started all 16 games for Arizona, finishing the year with 38 total tackles, six tackles for loss, and 2.5 sacks.

(Sports Illustrated)

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

34 Comments for Corey Peters says Cardinals have discussed boycotting Week One of NFL season

1. Batsell
    11:23 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

And……yawn.

2. PensacolaCat
    11:27 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

As long as they don’t get paid

3. rockyou
    11:58 am August 29, 2020 Permalink

doesn’t matter to me, boycott the whole season and don’t take a paycheck, that will send a message. I’ll have to read about it here on the KSR liberal page as I don’t watch anymore Pro sports.

• bkeith75
      12:23 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

You don’t “have” to read about it. You can simply choose not to. End of problem for you.

• rockyou
      1:06 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

I don’t “have” to do anything, it’s a free country last I knew, but if what I said hurt your feelings or triggered you, that’s tough, deal with it, that’s what I think. Your problem, not mine

• dukeisking
      7:00 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Clown

4. UKFanSC
    12:05 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Yeah……that’ll fix it.

5. 44stewart
    12:08 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

With all you conservative white folk quitting all sports, I am going to get great seats at games and bars.

• UKFanSC
      12:17 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

News flash…… if all conservative white folks quit all sports, there are no sports.

• 44stewart
      12:25 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Rather have no sports than fans like you.

• rockyou
      1:11 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

well 44, first you said you’ll get great seats if all us “WHITE” conservatives quit sports, then you turn around and say you would rather not have sports. 1. Why do you assume we are white? 2. if there are no sports, you won’t get good seats, so now what??

• 44stewart
      2:18 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

90% of conservatives are white. Like my odds on saying white conservatives. I would get better seats if you all quit going. But one of your white brethren said there would be no sports. My number one choice is you all stop being fans. My number 2 choice is if you don’t than end sports. Option A Option B. Simple really.

• satcheluk
      1:46 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

44-lol!

• Cousins Fake Tooth 2
      3:54 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

@44stewar – As being a black man, you can continue to push the faux narratives all you wish. This is political.

6. 44stewart
    12:11 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Hopefully they change Rupp Arena to MLK arena or Harriet Tubman arena. I could get lower floor season tickets.

• UKFanSC
      12:36 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

I like Slappy White arena, or perhaps Avon Barksdale Center.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      7:23 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Change it based on a lie. Yup, that makes sense.

7. Headhurts
    12:23 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

No fans means no $$$ have to get real jobs that will fire you if you walk-out, like my job.

• 44stewart
      12:27 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Actually no they can’t fire you. If 2 or more walk out in protest it’s considered a form of strike. Union or no union. That is a protected right of all citizens.

• Cousins Fake Tooth 2
      3:55 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Uh, yeah you have fun arguing that in court here haha.

• bigbluebg
      4:54 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Umm no in KY every contract can be terminated at anytime without reason by your employer and there’s nothing you can do about it.

8. JT55
    12:36 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Go for it, get a real job then.

9. Eddiemcwildcat
    12:50 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Liberalism is a disease far worse than covid. Im boycotting liberals.

• 44stewart
      12:53 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Thank god. Been trying to get you trumpets to boycott us for four years.

• rockyou
      1:17 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

44 must be a troll, no one is that stupid. Oh, wait the liberals are that stupid, just like the ones yelling at and trying to attack Rand Paul and his wife last night. They obviously never got disciplined as children and weren’t taught manners or respect. Oh well, not my problem

• satcheluk
      1:48 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

44 isn’t a troll, he’s just more evolved and has empathy, the highest for if knowledge. Luckily, our society is trending that way, which gives me hope, so we just have to wait for the boomers to die.

• UKFanSC
      2:04 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Yeah….real “evolved”…..that highest of “for if knowledge “…..sounds like satchmo is real evolved too.

Based on her posts, 44 hasn’t made a substantive comment yet. She just pops out of her rathole, spews stupid comments to get a reaction, knocks down a few malt liquors and heads off to her job at Walmart. You can look forward to four more years of that.

• 44stewart
      2:12 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

I find it amusing that you assume I am a female. Not. That I work at Walmart not. You also through in the stereotype malt liquor. You are definitely an old white guy.

• UKFanSC
      2:41 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Not !

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      7:26 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

You’re celebrating people who differ politically dying and you’re more evolved than people who prefer waiting for the facts of the Blake case to come out? Okay then. I take no joy in what happened to him, but all the facts aren’t out yet.

10. Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert
    2:57 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

I’m sure his dad, Harry and his mom, Anita, are very proud of him.

11. bigbluebg
    4:59 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

I feel like this would be difficult to do in the NFL. There are players who don’t make millions and need to pay bills. And NFL there are tons of guys ready to take their jobs. Unemployment in the NFL is a real thing. Guys train all year for a shot in training camp. It wouldn’t be the same product…but they’d get by and owners would say a ton of money by not paying the stars…eventually the stars would want to start collecting/stop missing their paychecks

12. dukeisking
    7:00 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

????????

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      7:27 pm August 29, 2020 Permalink

Duke fans often have trouble speaking clearly.