Complete list of businesses affected by latest Coronavirus closings

Earlier Sunday afternoon, Gov. Andy Beshear provided Kentuckians with an update on COVID-19 and how its affecting businesses across the state. Now, the order closing all non-essential retail stores has been officially released, and it clarifies many of the questions some Kentuckians had following Gov. Beshear’s address.

The order says all in-person businesses that are not life-sustaining will be ordered to close Monday, March 23 at 8 p.m. Businesses that are excluded from the closures include grocery stores, pharmacies, banks, hardware stores, gas stations, building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers, and other businesses that provide staple goods. Grocery stores also include supermarkets, liquor stores, specialty food stores, and meat, seafood, fruit and vegetable markets. Other businesses that can remain open include automative parts, repair, accessories and tire stores, pet and pet supply stores, and car and van rental services.

All of the listed businesses may remain open, they must practice social distancing and hygiene guidance provided by the CDC and Kentucky Department of Health. Failure to do so could result in mandatory closure of the business.

The new order does directly impact businesses including car dealerships, furniture and home furnishing stores, electronic stores, clothing, shoes, and jewelry stores, department stores, florists, office supplies stores, gift shops, and used merchandise stores. Such stores must be closed by Monday at 8 p.m.

Here’s a look at the complete order.

These closings come on the same day that Kentucky’s total surpassed 100 confirmed cases; the Bluegrass now has 103 confirmed cases of Coronavirus, as of Gov. Beshear’s 5 p.m. press conference on Sunday.

Article written by Maggie Davis

I love sports, podcasts, long walks on the beach and Twitter (@MaggieDavisKSR)

14 Comments for Complete list of businesses affected by latest Coronavirus closings

1. lexattorney
    8:59 pm March 22, 2020 Permalink

• RAGE
      10:57 pm March 22, 2020 Permalink

Just curious does anybody know does this mean H&R Block will be closed??? I have a standing appt every year on March 24 so do I need to try and move it up??? Just curious

• RAGE
      10:57 pm March 22, 2020 Permalink

Sorry lex attorney didn’t mean to tag this on to your comment I screwed up and hit it on accident but just curious

2. Mulli
    9:37 pm March 22, 2020 Permalink

lclarifybsir what in your opinion is not allowable? What they did in KY or PA or both? Just wondering…

• lexattorney
      12:28 am March 23, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know what the PA attorneys have argued but I would make a 5th/14th Amendment argument. This is the section of the constitution dealing with due process and the right to free enterprise (5th on the federal level, 14th on the local and state level). Constitutional Law isn’t my strong suit but there might be an argument that these state governments overstepped their authority as it relates to intra and interstate commerce under the Commerce Clause, possibly as it relates to the Necessary and Proper Clause. As I said, I don’t know what they argued and that’s just my opinion and best guess. Take it for what it’s worth which might get you half a cup of lukewarm coffee lol

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      9:57 am March 23, 2020 Permalink

lexattorney, you bring up some very interesting points. And as my comment below indicates, everyone has different ideas on which businesses are essential and which are not.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:18 am March 23, 2020 Permalink

And I don’t see how that PA governor can think truck stops aren’t vital. Our economy is suffering enough already. We have to keep those trucks rolling.

3. CJKAssassin123
    1:33 am March 23, 2020 Permalink

What Dollar Tree close I’m asking because I work there!

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    9:56 am March 23, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, we don’t need electronics stores. They’re just a luxury! Never mind we have 5 gazillion people now working from home that weren’t before (including yours truly 3 days a week) that might need a power cord/strip, PC, monitor, keyboard, etc. etc. etc.

• Mathlete
      10:06 am March 23, 2020 Permalink

You can still do online ordering and pickup if they decide to stay open

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:15 am March 23, 2020 Permalink

I know Walmart has all that, but what if they run out?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:17 am March 23, 2020 Permalink

True, but as stated in my addendum comment, what if Walmart & Sam’s run out? The list says electronic stores have to close completely unless I misread something.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:31 am March 23, 2020 Permalink

And I almost forgot: Amazon is suspending shipment of all non-essential items, so good luck ordering a power cord from them.

5. LakeCat
    12:20 pm March 23, 2020 Permalink

Let’s see little florist shops shur down along with many other small businesses but by George those liquor stores must stay open. Zero rationale for these closings. You keep the large retail stores open with thousands pouring in but close little businesses that might have 50 customers a day. Unbridled stupidity.