College Football’s Thursday News and Views

UK Football Fan Day
I pity the fool who messes with Vince Marrow

Well folks, we finally made it. In less than 24 hours, the college football season will commence, and the agony of the offseason will be history. Say goodbye to your family and all your terrible offseason TV shows–sorry “House Hunters Renovation,” I’m sure we’ll meet again–because beginning at 6 p.m., the 2013-2014 season begins and your weekends will be booked until April.

I’ve always loved college football more than any other sport. The neon green grass, the snap of the snare drum, flags whipping in the wind and that first pop of the pads…to me, that is pure poetry. By the time the first weekend of football rolls around, I’m usually so starved for it I literally shake with excitement. What other sport could get fans out of bed at the crack of dawn to sit in a parking lot and drink all day? On Saturdays in the South, some of the biggest cities are actually stadiums, each with own special ritual, whether it be an eagle circling Jordan-Hare, a bengal tiger scaring the crap out of people in Baton Rouge, or a fat English Bulldog sitting on a bag of ice between the hedges.

The best thing about college football is it’s not just a sport; it’s a way of life, especially in the South, and can only be measured on a Richter Scale of emotion–for us, the sheer high of upsetting the number one team in the country in 2007 to the lowest low of getting shut out by Vandy. We’ve been in the cellar for a long time and the climb is steep, but at least now we’ve got a ladder with all its rungs.

Breathe easy, guys. Football’s back and so are the Cats. And with that, here are the news and views…

Dominic MaGee gets an offer

Emmanuel Mudiay’s commitment to SMU is still sending shockwaves through the 2014 recruiting scene. On Wednesday, we found out that John Calipari has offered another point guard a scholarship: Dominic MaGee, a 6’3″, 175 lbs. guard from Louisiana. MaGee fits the mold of a typical Calipari point guards more so than Tyler Ulis; he’s long, athletic, and can either slash to the basket or pull up for a jumper. He’s a lefty with some major speed, and although ESPN ranks him only the 18th best PG in the class, many feel he’s underrated.

Does this mean Cal doesn’t feel good about his chances with Tyler Ulis? Not necessarily. Accoridng to Evan Daniels, Ulis is still a very strong Kentucky lean, despite some rumors that he’s favoring Michigan State. For now, remember those four little words: In Cal We Trust.

James Blackmon comes to town

While point guard remains a big mystery for the 2014 class, the shooting guard position may become a little clearer very soon. James Blackmon Jr. will take an unofficial visit to Kentucky on Thursday with his father, who is a former Cat himself. Since decommitting from Indiana a few weeks ago, Blackmon has been showing some major interest in the Cats, and the feeling is mutual. Calipari has been in constant contact with the talented shooting guard, who will follow up his visit to Lexington with an unofficial visit to Louisville the next day. Along with Trey Lyles, Blackmon is the recruit those around the program feel is most likely to commit, so it’s imperative that he has a good visit on Thursday. Please make him feel welcome.

Cal says Julius Randle will “rip your throat out”

Coach Cal called in to the radio show on Wednesday morning to wish Matt a happy birthday, and gifted Matt and viewers with some tidbits about his new team. When Matt asked him how good Julius Randle was, Cal said “scary. Really scary.” In fact, Cal said he’s got the same killer instinct as Michael Kidd-Gilchrist:

“There are guys that have a deer-in-the-headlights look, and there are others that squint their eyes like ‘I’m gonna rip your throat out.’ He’s one of them.”

What’s also scary to Cal? How good the Harrison Twins can be if they play up to their potential.

Maybe that’s what the theme for this team should be: Scary. Really scary.

HNj4y4P
In my dreams, this is what Za’Darius Smith does to opposing quarterbacks.

Putting Western back in its place

Two years ago, Western linebacker Andrew Jackson gave us the line of the Joker Phillips era when he said of Kentucky, “They supposed to be SEC.” One year ago, the Hilltoppers beat the Cats and celebrated all over Commonwealth Stadium. The upset humiliated UK’s players, and after Western picked up the Bobby Petrino, Hilltopper fans couldn’t stop crowing. Suddenly, the directional school saw itself not as the sweet, silly red blob north of Nashville, but a mid-major player worthy of primetime showdowns. It’s like Big Red took PEDs and has ‘roid rage. Star linebacker Andrew Jackson opened his big mouth again on Wednesday when he said this about the Cats:

“I don’t care anything about them. We’re going to handle them on Saturday. …We just gonna hit ’em in the mouth and get it over with.”

A year ago, maybe. Now, with the first game of the Mark Stoops era less than three days away, UK’s youngest brother better get ready for a reality check. Bobby Petrino is an offensive genius, but when it comes down to it, I don’t believe he has the athletes to run his offense how he wants. Their quarterback Brandon Doughty is coming off a knee injury and has only thrown for 113 yards in his career. Antonio Andrews is good, but so is Kentucky’s front four, who all have images of last year’s upset dancing in their heads. The upperclassman on this year’s squad have been ready for this game for eleven months. Keep giving us bulletin board material, Mr. Jackson. We thrive on it.

945190_10151804114689581_1397576580_n

It’s time

The team is ironing out all the nitty gritty details leading up to Saturday’s opener, and as such, there wasn’t a lot of news to report from practice Wednesday. Three things:

— Neal Brown says the quarterbacks have looked “sharp” all week. That’s good.

— The team will wear khakis, a button-down shirts, and sport coats on game day, ties optional. As Stoops put it, “we should look good.” Yes, and fans should go see how good they look at the Catwalk, which takes place at 3:45 p.m. CT at Gate 1 at LP Field.

— Raymond Sanders and Jonathan George want to be known as “Thunder and Lightning” to represent their different running styles. Give us some touchdowns and we’ll call you whatever you want, boys.

Finally, if you haven’t checked out Matt and Drew’s work over on TheOuterCourts.com yet, please do so. There was a long rain delay on Wednesday, which just meant the guys were free to do more random things in the most ridiculous manner possible.

They’ll be back in the morning to get you ready for Saturday’s opener and so will I. See you then.

36 Comments for College Football’s Thursday News and Views

1. I know animals eating other animals is part of God’s creation, but ewww! Call me a wimp if you will, but I’m a softie when it comes to animals. And no, I’m not a PETA member (far from it), just a softie, that’s all. I’m glad I don’t have to see my Hardees burger slaughtered. I only have to see the finished product.

Anyway, good writeup TT. I can’t wait to see Randle play, and it’ll be really cool if Blackmon’s son comes to UK. I watched his dad when he came in with Winston Bennet and he helped us win a lot of games. Part of one of the best UK teams (1984) that did not win a championship. Darn those Hoyas!

2. Rei
    11:39 pm August 28, 2013 Permalink

I second not liking the gif.

3. Andrew Jackson's Bulletin Board Material
    11:49 pm August 28, 2013 Permalink

Thanks Andrew. You just added fuel to the fire. I hope UK knocks you out of the game. I hope UK wins by 3 touchdowns.

4. Reality
    11:53 pm August 28, 2013 Permalink

1 & 2… Are you fuggin kidding me? @1 … Many people believe you should kill your own food at least once. It’s the way of a sissy coward. What if that leapard didn’t catch that antelope or whatever it is? The cat would die… It’s the circle of mutha fuggin life.

5. Andrew Jackson's Bulletin Board Material
    11:53 pm August 28, 2013 Permalink

If I were coaching in this game, I would challenge my players to literally hurt Andrew Jackson. Break him.

6. Justin Bailey
    12:18 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

Matt, can you help me get the word out about a fellow Kentuckian and UK alum who is a great young country artist living and playing in Nashville every week? His name is Luk Nichols and will be featured at Honkey Tonk Central both Friday and Saturday nights from 6-10. BBN needs to show one of their own as much love as HTC can squeeze in their doors!

7. bigredbleedsblue
    12:23 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

More gifs of animals eating other animals please!

8. Ridge Runner
    1:33 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

The more I read about Randle makes me drool with anticipation for basketball.

Gif is awesome, Ms T !

9. SeaCat
    1:52 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

Tyler, I love you, butt
    Drop the ‘I won’t ‘. crap
    I won’t : is a major sign of weakness
    I won’t is human code for I can’t…
    just sayin…

10. Paul
    3:51 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

Glad to see Tennessee tickets for sale on KSR. Way to represent KSR, what’s next UL ad’s?. Had to be Drew or Tyler, whenever I see a post by one of these two I just keep scrolling.

11. TheTruth
    6:24 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

Someone help me understand the brash confidence everyone seems to have in the defensive line. I understand the excitement about Zadarius, but the the rest of this group hasnt proved it can form a serious pash rush. While decent against the run, the inability to pressure is part of what made our defense a joke last year. What am I missing?

12. J in Orlando
    6:48 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

I do not have a job and my entire life revolves around UK and this blog. My self worth is tied to how UK performers on the field and the court.

13. RealCatsFan
    7:01 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

To me, in the world of UK sports “Thunder and Lightning” will always bring memories of Derek Anderson and Ron Mercer on the 97-97 team. We would have a three-peat if DA had not been injured that year. What a guard combo that was!

Hope the Cats bring the D to shut up Jackson’s oversized pie-hole. Go Cats!

14. Common Sense
    7:54 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

I think Andrew Jackson said something more along the lines of:

“Dey s’pose be SEC”

15. Some Guy in Kentucky
    8:09 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

I think that it is great that WKU jackson is talking sh!t. It will just give UK players more of a reason to be focused and beat the hell out of the Hillhoppers. The gif of a lion tackling a deer is great.

16. Wild Blue
    8:23 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

Great post Mrs. TT. I wish my wife had the same enthusiasm about football as you.

17. Bobbysueflay
    8:30 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

12. The dline is the strongest, if only, spot on this team. Joker left this team with few ld and cbs. If joker wasn’t fired think where this team would be this year or the upcoming years. Barker wouldn’t be coming here nor most, if not all, the rest of the upcoming class. Cobble, Rumph, smith, And Dupree will set the tone of the game if they stop the run game. Hopefully so because we are so thin at cb. You can’t turn a football program around like basketball. It takes year. But having a top ten recruiting class coming of a 2-10 record.

18. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    8:44 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

This is going to sound crazy, but I am really intrigued by the 2014 class. It won’t be anywhere near Cal’s best class, but it could be the year we actually see him have to develop an entire team of talent for the future. We offered the 18th best PG in America? Awesome, lets see if Cal can make him great.

19. Ole Miss Fan.....
    8:57 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

#12 It didn’t take Ole Miss Yrs to rebuild after a 2-10 season…. or Vanderbilt…..It is just like everything in life….. it is hit or miss…you either do or you don’t…..put up or shut up….

20. red headed step child
    9:06 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

I do love the “hill hoppers” mascot, he looks like my nutsack after a night out with a ULoL skanks. It hurts when I pee

21. RealUKFan
    9:20 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

The best thing about the college footbal season finally starting is that we know that we are closer to getting basketball season underway.

22. brad
    9:25 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

great stop by the leopard but the antelope still looks as if he gained 10 yds. FIIRRSST DOOOWWNN LOPES

23. RealCatsFan
    9:34 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

Brad, I think the leopard was whistled for a face mask on the play.

24. RealCatsFan
    9:38 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

#1 & #2, the sad thing is that the big cats are vanishing from the earth slowly but surely. Very possible that the only ones still living in our childrens’ time will be in zoos and animal reservations. Every creature exists for a reason, and the loss of the big predators at the top of the food chain will have adverse effects on the natural world. Witness the number of car / deer collisions in our state as evidence of this – they have very few natural enemies anymore, aside from Kenworths and Freightliners.

25. Late Hit
    9:41 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

Throw a flag on the leopard for a horse collar tackle!!!

26. quickie
    9:48 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

Andrew Jackson will find the “trail of tears” in the reverse mode of his name sake.

27. Beatle Bum
    9:54 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

That picture of Marrow is classic. Gets me pumped for college football!

28. FFF70
    9:58 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

Great opening on college football!!! Very well done,Ms Thompson!!!!

29. bb
    10:08 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

Ms. Thompson,your significant other is Lucky,Lucky,Lucky! Can’t imagine my wife remotely thinking the first pop of the pads sounding like poetry. Wow!

30. KD
    10:21 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

First down Lopes??? That’s a take-down, a clamp and a two minute bleed out….GAME OVER. If ZaDarius does that…..same result. Most impressive is how Larry Leopard stayed in his lane. Gotten love the Cats!

31. FIELD STORMER
    10:51 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

WILL UK STORM THE FIELD IF THEY BEAT THE 5th PLACE SUNBELT TEAM??? HAHAHAHAHahahaaa!!!!!!

32. Nutwrap
    11:46 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

I hope the gif doesn’t show the goal line stand. Even though it dies, the impala still scores the TD, and that’s the important part of football: you don’t get points for killing (unless you play for the Saints)

33. come on
    11:59 am August 29, 2013 Permalink

It appeared to me the cat was on the line of scrimmage where the run was stopped dead in its tracks. Pun definately intended.

34. Really
    12:19 pm August 29, 2013 Permalink

#20 I don’t think you have any idea what your talking about. Ole miss and Vandy are still rebuilding! They haven’t won anything yet, they are better then they used to be but along way from LSU, and Bama. It took them time to get where they are now

35. 4, please reread my post for content. I said I am far from being a PETA member and that I eat burgers! If you like the gif, more power to ya. If you hunt, more power to ya. I know lions gotta eat. It’s just like I said, I’m a softie, that’s all.

Here is an analogy: I am FOR people having surgery to repair injury, cure disease, etc., but I don’t care to watch the surgery shows like my wife (who is a nurse) does. I’m not the queaziest person, but it’s just not my thing.