Colin Cowherd blasts Rick Bozich and John Wall

I never thought I’d see the day KSR sided with Rick Bozich, the guy who yelled near our camera to interrupt a TV segment at the 2012 Final Four, but today might be that day. And it took Colin Cowherd, the absolute worst, to do it.

Cowherd just blasted Bozich on his radio show for a column Bozich wrote yesterday¬†asking Cowherd to apologize for his harsh comments about John Wall four years ago. Cowherd caught wind of Bozich’s piece and called him out on the air.

“This comes from, I don’t know who this is,” he said to lead off the segment. “He works at WDRB. I have no idea.”

Cowherd went on to thank Bozich, who he accused of being a UK homer, for listening to his show before going off on John Wall once again. The ESPN radio host still can’t get over Wall doing the Dougie in his first home game, calling him a “moron” and saying it was “the dumbest thing he has ever seen.” Then he noted Wall isn’t even top 15 in jersey sales and he can’t get over the fact it took four years for Wall to win a playoff game in Washington.

You can listen now (if you hurry) on ESPN’s live stream of “The Herd”; just rewind back to around the 12:05 pm mark. If you don’t catch it now, it’ll be on Cowherd’s podcast after the show. If you don’t catch it at all, you have seven minutes of your day to spend doing something else. I can’t get mine back.

Article written by Drew Franklin

58 Comments for Colin Cowherd blasts Rick Bozich and John Wall

1. Hollahollaholla
    12:39 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

All Cowturd, or is it Coward? anyway, all he does is talk about sports basing everything on market size. He always looks at sports from the perspective of media, ESPN and ratings. He has a very boring take on sports.

• Greg Casey
      1:03 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Colin Cowherd is not a person. He is an organic machine which inputs rudimentary sports knowledge and outputs hotsportstakes designed to magnify ratings by inflaming the largest number of fans.

And if you told me four years ago that John Wall would eventually take the raging dumpster fire that was the Washington Wizards to the playoffs then I’d pick him all over again this year just to make sure he couldn’t leave. I thought for sure as great as Wall was, he still couldn’t fix that organization.

2. Jayone
    12:43 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Bozo a UK homer? Sure

3. Bobbaloo
    12:43 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

He has a face for Radio. I’m sure John Wall envies him. Skip Bayless has more insight than him. BTW, Bozich has appeared on ESPN several times.

4. David from Cincinnati
    12:45 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

I try to never listen to the world-wide leader if at all possible.

5. C....A.....T....S...CATS
    12:47 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Thanks for the WARNING Drew…

National Sports Media leave me totally amazed at their own egos, much like this Collin Cowherd person.

I’ve heard him rant and rave on ESPN, with a LISP like Lou Holtz, and he has NO MORE SPORTS KNOWLEDGE than the “average JOE FAN on the street”.

Yet, he somehow comes to represent “mainstream sports knowledge”???
    Yet, HIS opinion comes to MEAN SOMETHING to national radio listeners???

Give me a break.

Talk about the drudge, useless, over publicized, Sports Radio Host.

This clown does not deserve any further publicity. His career is already a SHAM!

Matt and Drew… take notes cause YOU are headed in C.C.’s direction… and it’s not a respectable place to end up.

ON…ON…UofK….

• Rixter
      12:56 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

I agree. Unfortunately, my office-mate loves ESPN / WKRD, so Cowherd or Jay Mohr are always blaring in the office (thank god for KSR and headphones). What they all have in common is they come in with 2, maybe 3 topics, and they repeat the same thing over and over ad nauseam…makes me wanna puke.

6. AaronJ
    12:48 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

He was going over the map of the United States showing who the most searched player was per state and he made a huge deal out of “not knowing” what a particular state was called which he was eventually told it was Kentucky. Obvious trolling to piss off the state of Kentucky even more but the guy is smart and knows how to get listeners.

• idontflinch
      5:55 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

I agree the guy is smart, kinda. Consider this: like ESPN or not, it really is the worldwide leader in sports and this guy is smart enough to keep a show on it. But, to act like he doesn’t know what the name of a state is? That is phony and anyone with a half a brain knows it. He isn’t smart enough to know that pretending to not know the name of a state is behaving a like a juvenile? Come on now. He can be a hater if he wants, there is a long list of UK haters and he can have a seat somewhere in the middle as far as relevance goes. What this guy needs to do more than anything is simply grow up. I bet his family shook their heads in embarrassment when he acted like he didn’t know what state Kentucky was…

7. btowncatfan
    12:48 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

I listened to Cowherd when he first went on the air way back when. After about 1 year, when seasonal sports began to recycle again, I realized his show was exactly the same, material wise, as when he started. I quit listening. Some 4-5 years later I listened again just to hear if his schtick had changed. Sure enough he was harping on same subjects, how managers in baseball aren’t nearly as important as football coaches. His show never changes, keeps repeating year after year. Only the players, or characters change. Lamest show on the air and a big reason why I quit ESPN altogether, unless UK is playing on one of their channels.

8. Tom Blevins
    12:49 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Bozich a UK homer? Cowherd really should check his facts before he opens his mouth. There are probably very few things Cowherd could have called Bozich that would have hurt him more.

9. ITweetBombs
    12:49 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

I thought he had a pretty good point….

10. ITweetBombs
    12:50 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

I thought he had a pretty good point…

• Katmandu
      12:54 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

You can say that again.

11. RICK
    12:51 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Don’t listen to him and for sure don’t respond to him, that is what he wants.

12. Rixter
    12:52 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Let me get this straight. This thread is about 2 morons, that we care squat about… arguing back and forth about John Wall, who just led his team to it’s first playoff win in 6 years, and if I’m not mistaken recently signed a max contract? Is that about accurate?

Can we move on to something important?

13. D-Rock
    12:53 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Let’s face it….almost everyone on ESPN stinks. They went from covering sports to trying to control it. Any network that pays Cowherd and Stephen A. Smith any amount of money can’t be too intelligent.

14. ukjaybrat
    12:54 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

It’s really hard to make it to the playoffs in your first couple years when you get drafted #1 overall to a really shitty team… you’d think someone that follows sports even a little bit would recognize this fact.

• steve
      1:53 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Good point. Cowherd was so far off base when he went on that dougie rant that he can’t find enough room to digest the crow he should be eating. I mean’ how old is john wall? 23?

• idontflinch
      6:07 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Cowherd doesn’t care. He makes his name by sensationalizing everything he talks about. He says stuff that any normal sports fan knows is crazy. He is the sports journalism equivalent of the National Enquirer.

15. I Sayy
    12:55 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

I remember Cal doing the ESPN carwash a year or two ago and when he went on sportsnation with Colin the guy did everything but slob on Cal. He kissed his butt the whole time and kept asking where his secrets for recruiting were hidden in his sport coat.

• idontflinch
      6:04 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

When he was a little kid I bet he was the type who would talk big and bad when he was around adults or tough kids who he thought would protect him, but when he was alone he always kissed everyone else’s rear ends so they wouldn’t beat the snot out of him. It’s too bad for him that he is still that way today.

16. John Wall
    12:55 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Who is this Cow herder person talking $hit about me? He’s an ESPN radio guy? Oh, then whatever. I’ll be over here swimming in my Olympic-sized pool full of money.

By the way, since when does ESPN have a radio station?

17. James
    12:56 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

I wish John Wall would just show up in person to Cowherd’s studio. I’d love to see the reaction on that twerp’s face. Kind of like when Boogie introduced himself to Thamel. Gutless wonders that would pee their pants if the people they trashed would ever confront them, that’s what guys like Cowherd and Thamel are.

18. David
    1:02 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Cowherd is the guy that expressed dismay over the fact that John Calipari (while at Memphis) didn’t accompany Derrick Rose to his ACT testing site to “insure that it was truly Rose taking the test”…what the idiot Cowherd failed to understand was that would have been an egregious recruiting violation…I had to endure watching Cowherd when he first started out on KGW-8 (NBC affiliate of Portland, OR) when I was a younger man and knew then that this was an individual who was more concerned about his profile then the actual sports he was hired to cover; it should also be noted that “Cowherd” translates into “Moron” in Latin and “Putz” in Yiddish; in English it merely reflects the notion that Colin stands in a field chewing his cud until that time where his short life is ended to make hamburger meat…which is why I just stopped listening to his infantile opinions altogether…

19. Bubba Earl
    1:03 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

I have never been a Bozich fan, but even worse, Cowherd has always sounded moronic to my ears, I will not give him my listenership. The two of these idiots going at it is like rooting for your two least teams such as, Cards playin Duke,I can’t stand either team!!

20. Past over all #1 picks
    1:04 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Lebron didn’t win a playoff game til his third year. So our boy Wall is doing just fine in his fourth year

21. js2
    1:11 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

cowherd is a dick

22. Alamo_CatFan
    1:12 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Hey, remember that time when John Wall cared what Cowturd said? Me either.

23. Blue logic
    1:16 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Let be honest if one of our rivals lets say I.U. or U.L. had a player that did that we would be calling them everything and Matt would be having one of his immature rants on them…..Just saying!

• Really?
      1:52 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

All Wall did was dance? Am I missing something? I strongly doubt if a UL player danced that we would be talking about it 4 years later.

24. J.A.
    1:17 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Cowherd is cartoony sometimes but on this topic he is spot on, for all you UK fans who love John Wall any clown who dances everytime someone talks about him is exactly that, a clown. At UK he cared 0 about winning, all he cared about was his brand, and all you just raise him up and praise him for it. He is everything that is wrong with athletes, he may have humbled a bit in 4 years but I have no use for him. And Boogie gets a bad rap because he’s passionate about winning, blows my mind.

• James
      1:22 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Did you actually watch John Wall play basketball? Did you forget when he joyously jumped on top of Boogie after he hit the shot to send the ‘Cats into overtime against MSU in the SEC championship game? Did you see how devestated he was after losing to WVU in the Elite Eight?

Be gone troll.

• J.A.
      1:30 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

I forgot to mention that I’m a moron.

• PW
      1:31 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Shut up.

• Steve
      1:58 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

“At UK he cared 0 about winning, all he cared about was his brand.” You cannot have watched the ’09-’10 season and come to that conclusion. The players on that team had an amazing will to win.

• steve
      2:01 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Good luck j.a. next year in the fourth grade.

25. James
    1:19 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Blue Logic=I.U. or U.L. fan

26. BobbyBlue
    1:22 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Umhh…wrong spelling,its Cowterd….Mentioning either one of these guys on KSR,just helps them get hits.

27. Wall2Cousins
    1:22 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

any live stream of Randle announcement?

28. PW
    1:24 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

In a nation of people with functioning brains, Colin Cowherd would not have any radio/TV presence. Fortunately for Colin Cowherd we do not live in that society. I wouldn’t give him the favor of clicking any of his crap. I’ve heard a bit of his drivel on the radio and he’s definitely the worst. Ever. I’d rather have Dicky V narrate my sex life than listen to 5 minutes of Colin Cowherd.

• "Work" is a relative term
      2:21 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

I’m stealing that bit about Vitale, your royalty check is in the mail.

• idontflinch
      6:12 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

That’s funny.

29. ragmag
    1:29 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

John Wall is in good company. Cowherd loved to bash Aaron Rodgers for not having won a playoff game. Then Rodgers went and won the Super Bowl and Cowherd looked like a fool. In both cases, Cowherd seems to think a player can be solely responsible for his team’s lack of playoff wins. It’s such a over simplistic way of thinking. It took Rodgers a few seasons to win a playoff game because Green Bay’s defense wasn’t good and the Packers would get outscored. Similarly, Wall hasn’t had much help.

30. Cat fan
    1:35 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Not really surprising, he said something about John Wall his rookie year as well. Cowherd calling someone a homer though is a bit ridiculous on his part considering how when he was on Sports Nation he would refer to the Heat and Patriots as “my Heat” and “my Patriots” and then he would go on and on over how great Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are. Him and guys like Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith are all the same they may not believe what they say majority of the time but they just do it to get people talking about them.

31. UKfan
    1:51 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Looks like a dimwit. Glad I don’t waste my time listening to his nonsense.

32. Art Vandalay
    1:53 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Has anyone ever met a single solitary should that listens to this guy?

A PAC 10 or 12 homer is gonna have to do whatever he can do to try and get attention for himself.

There’s a reason he’s not a household name despite espn giving him a little bit of airtime here and there…. He’s not very good and people are very well aware of it.

33. Onlooker
    2:07 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Just Look At Him. He’s wearing a U of ESPN shirt. How many NC’s do they have?
    And he looks so smug.
    And he has hairs out of place.
    And he has skeletor cheekbones.
    And he works for ESPN and he has his own radio show and he makes lots of money.
    And the national sports media wonders why they’re not adored.
    And I need to stop before I go any further. Colin, keep up the bad work, it’s making you money.

34. Syrin
    2:11 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

The first stat I look at when I am trying to determine the quality of a player is their jersey sales.

35. jpg
    2:11 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Bozich a UK HOMER?!!! That could not be further from the truth.

36. OhioCat
    2:23 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Cowherd has always had a hard-on for bashing Wall. It dates back to his rookie year and he’s always more than happy to remind his listeners for his dislike of Wall and his game. When talking about athletes who will never win a championship or be big time winners, Wall is always at the top of his list…along with Derrick Rose. I never understood his dislike for Wall. Cowherd himself is always one of the first to talk about how much he hates the old unwritten rules in sports. Seems funny that Cowherd hates Wall for something as minor as doing a short dance before his first game…gotta be more to it than that.

37. HackRichards
    2:45 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

MOST all Sports Writers wish to live their unaccomplished dreams through the athletes they write/lie about. PERIOD

38. Julius new shoes say
    3:08 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Cowherd is to ESPN Radio and sports talk in general what Rex is to twittersfier

39. gazza90
    3:39 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Cowhard built his career on being a troll, or what would more charitably be called contrarian, and the Wall episode is one of the more recent examples. He started out his career in Las Vegas bashing Tarkanian and UNLV when they were at their zenith. If it wasn’t for drumming up ratings by pissing people off, he wouldn’t be on the air.

40. Mark Liptak
    4:46 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Oh my God, Wall isn’t even in the top 15 in jersey sales!! Heaven forbid! This will be the downfall of the nation!!!!!!!!!!

Only a grade A moron like Cowherd would think that in any way is important.

What a buffoon.

41. old timer
    5:26 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Cowherd epitomizes what is wrong with broadcasting today. If you are edgy, arrogant, obnoxious and opinionated (whether it is an intelligent opinion is of debate) you can have your own show. It is not limited to sports and radio. Just look at many of the talking heads on Fox and MSNBC. If you yell loudly and often enough people start believing the garbage you spew. Thoughtful, intelligent discussions of issues are nearly extinct.

42. AKYN
    8:07 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Cowherd is not considered a real life sports commentator. He’s just a pundit with little real knowledge to share.so calling names and insulting various sports constituencies and kissing the rear end of what he considers major players, i.e. Lebron, etc. He’s a waste of time and anyone who listens to him needs to try and get their life back. Cowherd is not just stupid but believes the found of sports knowledge is all in Las Vegas. What a crock. He is a shill for the Vegas sports books and tries to pass himself off as a “player.” He’s mostly just an asshat. Anyone who has followed John Wall’s career to date knows he’s a class act and has improved immensely since he came into the league as a one and done. Don’t forget he was really only one year out of high school when he was asked to play point guard for a crummy NBA franchise. The Wizards are getting better players and Wall is developing into a quality point guard, the toughest position in the NBA.