Coach O adds a major transfer at point guard

The Tampa Tribune

Orlando Antigua is already making major moves at his new job down in Tampa, Florida. The former Wildcat assistant coach added one of the nation’s best transfer options at point guard over the weekend when Marshall’s Kareem Canty picked South Florida as his new destination over Bruce Pearl and Auburn and Penn State.

Canty, a Brooklyn native, averaged 16.3 points and a team-high 5.5 assists for the Herd last season as a true freshman.

Go Bulls? Go Bulls.

Article written by Drew Franklin

17 Comments for Coach O adds a major transfer at point guard

1. Ville Cat
    12:31 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Happy for Coach O and excited to see what he is able to do down at USF.. By default, we the BBN need to get behind Coach O and adopt USF as our other team..

2. RC
    12:33 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Happy for Coach O, but this is a Kentucky blog. Quit sucking the Bulls off, Franklin.

• YouSUCKatLIFE
      12:45 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

We have to worry about UCF trolls now. Leave Coach O alone. Go Bulls!

3. Dan Soloe
    12:34 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

I love Cal and hope he’s at UK for the next 25 years,but make no mistake,should he leave or retire,UK would make a HUGE mistake not making Coach Antiqua the next head Coach ! This guy is going to be a great coach and I hope UK has him in the plans if Cal leaves in any way !

4. Axe Cop
    12:44 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

I wonder how soon we’ll see USF on the schedule?

• a21CATSfan
      12:47 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Coach O is trying to WIN games.

• tltaworl
      12:48 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Probably 2 or 3 years when he thinks he has a shot at being competitive.

5. Major move?
    12:48 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

A transfer from a bad mid major Marshall team that finished 11-22 is a “major move” and one of the best transfer options? Good luck to Antigua but maybe leave the overhyping to the USF fan sites?

6. Common Sense
    12:52 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Here is what is going to happen:

Year 1 @ USF – Vast difference, Might be bubble team in a WEAK conference
    Year 2 @ USF – Tournament Team- double digit seed that upsets good team
    Year 3 @ Memphis – Wins 2 tournament games,
    Year 4 @ Memphis – Elite Eight Run
    Year 5 @ Memphis – Top 10 team all year

Stays at Memphis til Cal is done….UK hires Orlando Antigua as our 8th head coach….

• Bret
      1:11 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Your logic makes sense, but not sure I agree with the @ Memphis part (Pastner is young and just barely good enough to not get fired). I expect Coach O to take 2-3 years at USF to make something respectable, then he will get picked up by a low tier BCS school program (Perhaps SEC or ACC). After 2-3 years at the next stop that could be 2019-2020 and Cal would be ready to recommend a successor to Barnhart.

• Common Sense
      1:24 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

I disagree…People were ready for Shaka and Brad Stevens after 2 years… granted they had tourney Runs but still….Bigger schools want Coaches with personality, excitement and recruiting ability. Thats Coach O…I have family in Memphis that are a part of the school…They are growing VERY impatient with Pastner….all that talent yet no results….Orlando would hop on that in a minute and if he is successful Memphis would jump on him in a minute….

7. NoHeWasn't
    1:22 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Canty was not a true freshmen. He was a red shirt freshmen who I believe was a Prop 48 type player who had to sit 2 seasons ago. Marshall is one of the only schools who takes these types of players. You don’t even have to pass the ACT at Marshall…just sit a year and you are good to go. It doesn’t surprise me at all that he would get his academic standing up and transfer to a better program.

8. Bob
    1:29 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

I live in Tampabay and for 53 years have been an Cats fan . However as when i lived in Philia. i liked George Washington as my local team here in Tampabay i like USF Bulls. Make no mistake not enough to loose Coach O too . However the man gave my love UK some great years and for that i am grateful and will support him . Coach O is part of the BBN family and as you and i he wants to better himself and coach his own team, God Bless Him and his new life .

• bigblue
      4:46 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

ummm… right. yes. I think.

9. Chaz
    4:48 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Why are they all signaling “Hook ’em Horns”? I thought Texas (along with Bevis and Butthead) had that all staked out.

10. Toddf
    6:05 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

I dont care what anyone says, it won’t bother me one bit to hear updates about coach O’s team. Loved the job he did and the way he carried himself here. If he is successful at UEFA then I’d love to see him come back here and be head coach after coach Cal leaves…in about 10 or 12 years 🙂

11. Dan Soloe
    9:32 pm May 12, 2014 Permalink

Agree Toddf, Coach Antiqua was a huge part of our sucess and I appreciate him and hope this site does keep up with how he is doing ! Its a shame some can be ,whats the word Im looking for, uncaring or cares less after someone leaves. I find that pitiful and sickening to be honest ! Guess they could care the hell less about the players after they leave to,its just about what they can do for us huh,screw’em after they leave UK huh some out there ?!!!

Im glad Cal makes it know it is a family,and players do come first ! And coaches to,with there sucess,comes UK’s sucess,as others out there see UK players and coaches succeed,they want to come here and do the same,its a shame some out there cant see that,or even worse,dont care !

Coach O has a great shot at being the UK coach down the road for another thing,I know this is a strong posibility,and will leave it at that. So for that alone,people should want to follow his career and see how he is doing. I truly appreciate all he did for us to though,and the great person he is,I encourage and hope KSR does also ,and despite an idiot here and there out there,they will follow his career as well. Go Cats,and wish you the best Coach O !