Coach Mingione is back to talk UK Baseball (Tuesday Show Thread)

Baseball is the talk of the town and who better to talk about it than Coach Mingione, who will make his second KSR appearance in as many days. Yesterday he was on the show to explain why he bunts; today he will come on to say, “I told you so.”

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Drew Franklin

52 Comments for Coach Mingione is back to talk UK Baseball (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:03 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

Congrats, Bat Cats!
    Beat UL.

2. secrick
    10:03 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

Great win last night. Now beat those cards 2 in a row. Kept me up late last night but it was worth it.

• J-Dub421
      10:30 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

I always want to beat the dirty birds. There are few things in life better than knocking Louisville out of the post-season.

3. secrick
    10:05 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

Good to see Coach Cal out last night supporting the Baseball team.

• runningunnin.454
      10:13 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

I’m sure his support helped the team. The announcers interviewed him during the game; they seemed surprised he could talk baseball…hell, he grew up in a baseball town.

• I remember Mitch also helping clean seats after the CWS renovation to get it ready for the first game. Humble man IMO.

4. Dave from Owsley County
    10:17 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

Seems like a great guy and great coach but I have to turn the radio off when he’s on. His consistent, maniacal laughing is annoying AF.

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:22 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

What a win last night! I’ve never seen the state this excited about baseball. Go Cats!

6. runningunnin.454
    10:23 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

The crowd last night was rowdy; it was obvious on TV; a lot of heckling, and I think they got to NC State in the late innings.

• RealCatsFan
      10:58 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

Speaking of rowdy crowds, I had the Stanley Cup team on last night, and that crowd in Nashville was off the chain. They have really embraced hockey in that town. I have said this before – if you can get that kind of support for pro hockey, I don’t understand the argument that an NBA team could not do the same thing in Louisville. I think most of the blowback against the idea comes from fans and administration of UofL. They truly look at the NBA as a threat to their imagined monopoly on sports in the city. Their worst fear is that an NBA team stocked with Cal’s ex players would come to town and take over the YUM Center!

• Question though: is it at least partly because there are a lot of transplanted northerners there who grew up with hockey? I don’t know. I’m just speculating and I’m curious. You would think that would have been the case in the ATL but they lost both teams to Canadian cities, the Thrashers to my wife’s home town

7. J-Dub421
    10:28 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

This call needs to end. So boring.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

Conner Heady is the sibling of one of my daughter’s former club volleyball teammates. Her dad was a fun person to talk UK sports with, and he was always listening to a UK baseball game during tournaments (when he couldn’t go to it). Our kids play for different clubs now, so I don’t see him anymore, but I bet he is on cloud nine!

9. Coach is the best!

BTW, when Matt was talking about how tall Hjelle (sp?) is, it reminded me of some player who said when Randy Johnson finished his follow through he looked like he was half way to home plate.

GO BATCATS!!!

10. runningunnin.454
    10:47 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

Coach is right; UL is really good, it will be a challenge.
    They probably have the No. 1 draft pick in Brendan McKay; they just don’t know whether to draft him as a pitcher or a hitter.

11. secrick
    10:52 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

The Baseball team is really young i’m told and this Coach must be really good .

• J-Dub421
      11:18 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

This team is really young, and we have a young 1st year head coach. We were supposed to be in a rebuild year, but this team is exceeding expectations by a lot.

12. Realme
    10:54 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

I have a friend like Mingione, she is literally always high on life. Bouncing off the walls with enthusiasm. Basically me during peak basketball season.

13. Realme
    11:25 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

What was the result against Louisville for the baseball team in the regular season? (I could google it, but why do work when some of you surely know).

• RealCatsFan
      11:27 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

We split with them. Won at home – sprinted out to a huge lead, and had to hold off a furious rally for the win. Lost at their place.

• J-Dub421
      11:28 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

They beat us at their place earlier in the season, then we beat them more recently at home.

• Realme
      11:31 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

Ok, thanks. Nice to be a underdog now and then.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:29 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

Anyone else find the video ad that appears at the bottom of the KSR site on a smart phone browser to be EXTREMELY ANNOYING? You have to wait for the damned video to play before you can hide it, and it runs for like five minutes. Meanwhile it slows down the site so much that it takes forever to scroll. I understand that the ads help to pay for the site, but you sure as hell aren’t going to get me to buy your product if your ad annoys me!

• runningunnin.454
      11:34 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

There are annoying ads on TV, too. That one with the GPS going recalculating, recalculating over and over. It’s so annoying I don’t even know what they’re selling.

• RealCatsFan
      11:38 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

Not nearly as bad as the radio ads for jewelry and boner meds. I guess they go hand in hand. 🙂

• Here here! (or is it “Hear hear”?)

I’ve noticed on my iPad that you sometimes see the little pause button, so I can sometimes stop the video, but I can almost never hide it.

Yes, ads pay for the site. Guess what? They would get more click$, hence more ad $$$, if they payed attention to the $how Thread.

• runningunnin.454
      11:49 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

What about those K-Y Duration ads. “Dad, what’s it mean when she says she doesn’t finish”.

15. Realme
    11:37 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

The greatest UK tradition is winning a lot.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:37 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

Sorry, I know the guy is a huge UK fan and has some issues, so God Bless him, but there is no way I would call “Dancing Guy” rutting on a railway to a terrible 80’s song a “great tradition”. 😉

• Realme
      11:39 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, dropping that poor girl was awful, but the end result was kind of a positive.

17. ky196
    11:39 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

They just mentioned videos with hot women, have they ever seen the ZZTOP videos? Gotsta get paid!

18. Realme
    11:42 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

Help, I missed Billy’s punchline.

19. I can’t believe Matt never heard that joke. I first heard it told by a Bama fan on the radio, aimed at Auburn of course.

20. ky196
    11:48 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

They talk about the Loserville scandel, what about the tar bumb scandal? That one is far worse and should potentially take away more banners!

• Realme
      11:52 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

Agree. I’ve said it over and over. As much as I hate the Cards, they don’t deserve any punishment if the NCAA is going to let UNC slide.

• runningunnin.454
      11:55 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, but they can cop out saying the UNC situation should be addressed by the accreditation people; but, you just can’t ignore plying underage recruits with strippers/hookers.

• ky196
      11:59 am June 6, 2017 Permalink

I agree that you can’t ignore the hookers/strippers, but I just can’t understand how accreditation is the only way to deal with the fact that ineligeble players were on teams that won banners!

• runningunnin.454
      12:03 pm June 6, 2017 Permalink

I agree with you especially since the only thing the accreditation outfit did was put UNC on “probation” for 20 years of academic fraud.