Coach Cal in Las Vegas, Robic in Louisville

John Calipari bounced around Las Vegas last night to watch at least two of his top targets, at two separate events. First, we know he was at the Fab 48 Tip Off Challenge at Bishop Gorman High School, where he saw Skal Labissiere put on a show. Josh Pastner, who has seen every one of Labissiere’s games this July, was also in attendance.

Then he made his way over to the Adidas Super64 at the Cashman Center, about a 10-minute drive north from Bishop Gorman. That is where Jaylen Brown scored 11 points and grabbed eight rebounds in a win in front of Cal, Roy Williams and several others. Afterward, Brown told a UCLA blog there is “maybe a little truth” to a rumor that the Bruins are his leader.

Meanwhile, John Robic stopped in the Wednesday’s action at the AAU Nationals in Louisville. Robes is back again this morning to watch Antonio Blakeney.

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for Coach Cal in Las Vegas, Robic in Louisville

1. MojoCat
    10:52 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

I am starting to get a bad feeling about this class. First Newman slipping away, now Brown…and I think Skal is Memphis’s to lose! Not a lot of Elite talent in this class… Cal is the man and I hope I’m wrong!!

2. UK
    11:02 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

I dont’t understand why people worry about recruiting with Cal as the coach. Our coaches don’t talk to any of the recruiting guys. In return, the recruiting “experts” don’t pick UK. Like I care what Brown said to a UCLA reporter, because he might say something different if interviewed by KSR.

And if he really is deciding between UCLA and UK, I’ve got two words for him. Shabazz Muhammad.

• any ucla fan
      11:32 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

Alex poythress

• CatBlue in LR
      1:20 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Betcha right now Poythress makes a better pro that Muhammad.

• any ucla fan
      1:33 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Catblue just playing devils advocate

• Jake
      7:10 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Whats poythress have to do with anything? Hes had a much better college career than Muhammad and will be a better pro. Kids are learning u dont pass up on UK, Michigan St., Duke and u could maybe throw kansas in there but they’re not as good as developing players as the others mentioned. Bennett would have been a beast if he’d chose UK but now look at him. He’ll go down as the Ryan Leaf of the NBA

• any ucla fan
      8:17 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Just saying he was projected #1 overall at one point and now in his thrid year he’s a projected 2nd round pick. Shqbazz still went in the lottery after one year

3. Alec
    11:17 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

If Brown doesn’t come to UK it will be the first time that I am truly upset/annoyed that a recruit did not pick us. Shabazz didn’t bother me too much and neither did Wiggins, mainly because we already had those positions filled. Brown is made for Cal to work with. I hate to be “that guy,” but Brown is dumb if he doesn’t pick us.

4. J-Guy
    11:43 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

Some Holiday Inn theme music:

5. Slice
    1:05 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

I think guys wanna commit early and not knowing who stays n who goes hurts for some of the top recruits, Cal will get guys but might not be the top talent were use to.

• Dude
      4:49 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

So you’re saying we might get guys who *gasp* stay a while and develop? You know, what every old-school blueneck has been clamoring for since Cal got here? Oh, the humanity!

Poor Cal – damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t.

• Jake
      7:14 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

I’d agree with you but a guy like brown should not care because he would def get plenty of min no matter who we have. I think your comment is dead on with a lot of big men though.