CJ Conrad released from New York Giants practice squad

Some unfortunate news for our pal CJ Conrad: yesterday, the New York Giants released the former Cat from their practice squad to sign running back Austin Walter.

The Giants are thin at running back and already have five tight ends on the roster, so the move makes sense in that regard, but it’s still disappointing, especially considering how well CJ played in the preseason. In four games, he had eight receptions for 62 yards, with an impressive 32 yards after catch.

On Saturday, CJ called into the KSR Pregame Show to share his thoughts on the Florida game and talk about how much he was enjoying his time with the Giants. Here’s hoping he finds a new home soon.

[USA Today]

19 Comments for CJ Conrad released from New York Giants practice squad

1. Ridge Runner
    6:09 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

Hang in there, CJ. I really hate this for him and know he could be such an asset to a team. Yes, Ms T…hoping he finds a spot somewhere.

• Ridge Runner
      6:14 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

I could see the Patriots looking at him. Not that I hate or love New England but yeah, I could see the interest from them.

• JASUN74
      7:52 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

RR, man I agree with you. They could definitely use him, he blocks as well as any TE in the league and will catch the ball at a very high rate. Hard to take down also. He has a great football IQ and is is one of those kids that will be loved by an organization. I really hope he gets on somewhere this year but he’ll be back in no time. Thanks brother.

2. notFromhere
    6:31 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

GREAT NEWS! He needs a shot with a team that can use him, not wasting away on the depth chart. Praying he’ll get on with a good fit and a great team

3. season-3-disc-2
    6:51 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

He was overrated at UK. This is not surprising news.

• CatsandPats
      7:15 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

I kinda have to agree with you here. I think he was slightly overrated and Keaton Upshaw has the potential to be a much better Tight End all around when it’s all said and done, IMO.

• JASUN74
      7:59 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

Now little boys just quit! Lol. He was 100% definitely not overrated. He was in fact under used and under appreciated by the fans like you all. If we would’ve gotten him five more catches a game last year, we would’ve lost 1 or 2 games all year. Now that you’ve both proved you know nothing about Football, I must say you made a good guess as to Upshaw. He’s a beast and going to be great, but he has a long way to go to be compared to CJ right now. I do think though, with a couple more years he could work himself into the first round of the NFL draft.

• season-3-disc-2
      8:27 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

Hahahahaha Yea he is sooooo good. He just get cut by one of the worst teams in professional football?

• Nickerbocker05
      9:20 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

Season-3 dick2.. you are such a douche bag.

• season-3-disc-2
      9:22 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

If you say so my old friend Nick05.

• cats646
      9:27 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

Lol season3disc2 you’re either a troll, or you haven’t watched one of our games the past 4 years. The dude NEVER missed a block and caught the ball every time it was thrown his way. He didn’t stand out on a national level because Gran refused to throw the ball to him. But when he did it was a catch. He’ll find a home in the NFL, I guarantee it. Run along now fukhead, I’m sure mommy’s got a snack fixed for you upstairs.

• season-3-disc-2
      9:45 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

He is simply just not good. He can’t even find a home on the practice squad of one of the worst offenses in the league. Hahahahaha what a joke……brb mom’s got my pop tarts ready.

• cats646
      9:55 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

Ok so you’re just a troll, thanks for clarifying.

• JPhelps
      9:04 am September 19, 2019 Permalink

Jasun makes unprovable claim “If we would’ve gotten him five more catches a game last year, we would’ve lost 1 or 2 games all year.“ then uses that to infer someone else knows nothing about football.

Jasun. Please keep posting. Your ignorance provide constant comic relief.

• JPhelps
      9:08 am September 19, 2019 Permalink

This is even better…

“He’s a beast and going to be great, but he has a long way to go to be compared to CJ right now. I do think though, with a couple more years he could work himself into the first round of the NFL draft.”

A guy whom could potentially work his way into the top 32 picks in the NFL has A LONG WAY TO GO to be compared to an undrafted free agent. Even if Conrad hadn’t had his mishap during combines, he was projected AT BEST 5th round with a good combine. But a guy can work himself into the first round, has a long way to go to catch him…

You literally can’t make this up. It’s perfect…

• cats646
      10:08 am September 19, 2019 Permalink

JPhelps, I think Jasun meant he can’t be compared to CJ’s blocking yet. Talent wise he can be better if he puts the work in. Also CJ very well could’ve been a way higher caliber pick coming out of college if he was utilized more in the passing game. The guy never dropped anything. Remember the Mississippi state game last year? So all I got out of this is that not only was Jasun right, but you can’t comprehend anything you read. Smh

4. shelby3605
    8:48 pm September 18, 2019 Permalink

Steelers, steelers, Steelers….

5. JPhelps
    9:11 am September 19, 2019 Permalink

I feel like the missed combine really cost him. Dearly. And it’s so unfortunate, because had a 5th round selection had the type of preseason he as an undrafted FA had, they’d make a 53 man roster because of the investment.

Just really bad luck. I do believe if he continues to work, he can be successful. Just has to find the right team with the right holes.