Churchill Downs gave Wes Welker too much money, wants it back

Wes Welker reportedly cashed a $57,193.90 ticket at the Kentucky Derby and was seen passing out hunnids to random strangers on his way out of the building. Now Churchill Downs is asking for about 14 grand of that back because he was overpaid at the window. According to TMZ, a rep for Churchill Downs confirmed an overpayment due to “a tote machine malfunction.” A letter was sent to Welker’s camp asking for the money to be returned.

Oh, so he only won around $43,000? Poor guy. That’s pocket change to KSR caller Chris, who was last seen donating clothes and canned goods to the families of UK’s assistant coaching staff.

To me, winning at the track is not losing. I go in hoping to break even.

Article written by Drew Franklin

25 Comments for Churchill Downs gave Wes Welker too much money, wants it back

1. dustin
    11:09 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

I wouldn’t give back a dime!

2. Dano
    11:10 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

If KSR incorrectly bills an advertiser for $400 instead of $4000, should the advertiser get to keep the $3600?

• Glenn
      11:16 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

Your example doesn’t make sense because it is backwards but if it was correct the proper procedure would be to not pay the bill and call about the discrepancy.

• ukbradstith
      1:10 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

That’s not the same thing at all.

3. Glenn
    11:12 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

I’ve seen Chuchill’s business practice lately including their increase in takeout this meet. They could sue me. Take some of the extra money from the takeout increase and fix your tote system.

4. Wish in one hand and poop in the other
    11:13 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

“Excuse me random Churchill Downs official. I know my ticket says I bet all my money on the 8 horse but I made a mistake at the window. I originally meant to say the 5 horse. Now where can I cash my winner? Would it help if I put my request in a letter? Whichever. I just need what you owe me.”

5. bosshog
    11:15 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

I nominate this display for, “Most Nouveau Riche Display,” of the Kentucky Derby.

• A fool and his money
      11:42 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

No worries. There won’t be too many more scenes like this one once his career ends.

• RealCatsFan
      2:12 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

Call it what you will, but the world needs more fools like this if it leads to more generosity.

• A fool and his money
      5:04 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

Drunkenly passing out hundred dollar bills to random people at the Kentucky Derby (you know, where all the needy hangout) isn’t generous. It’s irresponsible.

6. dustin
    11:16 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

If walmart forgets to charge you for your milk, are you going to take it back? Nope, chocolate milk for everyone…

7. lol
    11:19 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

Just gets everything from deadspin.com

• TMZ
      12:45 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

Who gets everything from Deadspin. Not us, we’re always first b*tch

8. Larry
    11:24 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

So if the tote machine had screwed up and UNDER paid Welker by $14k, I’m sure Churchill would be contacting him to give him the extra $. As if…

9. Deacon
    11:29 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

I’m going to write to Churchill Downs and advise I was underpaid based on “a horse malfunction.”

• catlogic15
      11:35 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

Funny!

10. Jeremy
    11:39 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

Who took that picture and why is there no courtesy?

• NoOneCares
      12:44 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

wow, I bet you’re a lot of fun at parties. Why would anyone give a rats who took the picture?

11. Mike
    11:55 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

Arguably he could keep it. If he made obligations with that money, it’s the track’s fault, and they can more than afford to take the loss.
    Just need an attorney to argue it.

12. UK FAN
    12:33 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

I already spent the 14k I owed you

13. RealCatsFan
    2:16 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

If I was Welker I would tell CD to kiss Pappy on da’ head, and I would do it publicly. CD is all about greed, greed, greed. I hope this blows up all over them. They have had a lot of bad publicity lately, and deservedly so. First the money grab by limiting the payouts, and ask Ron Turcotte what he thinks about CD’s management. Hell, they lost me as a customer when they decided to no longer allow patrons of the infield to bring their own cooler. SCREW THEM!!

• Glenn
      2:40 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

I won’t be betting there anymore and it’s 15 minutes from my house. It’s 2014, I don’t need to take their crap anymore, I have options and right now I’ll be betting Belmont Park more.

14. AlexC
    3:37 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

If it was a tote error then the tote company owes Churchill. Going after the race fan is just bad for Churchill’s image. That being said, Churchill doesn’t care whet they do to the race fans anymore. It’s all about the bottom line no matter how shady they have to be.

15. Larry Wachs
    5:31 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

No. What is this? A Jew joke? Like: Get the Quarterback in Football? This is Churchill Downs. The Kentucky Derby. CHD: you fugged up.Forget it. Move on. Don’t ask for your fuggin’ money back. From Wes Welker, no less. This will be all over TV. You turned great advertising into negative. WTF?

16. Keith
    6:10 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

It was not Welker that was overpaid but someone in his party. And, they are not making him pay it back, they simply wrote a letter letting the guy know of the error. Naturally, the hope is he pays it back. That has happened in the past.