Charles Barkley makes fun of Kentucky, plus a night with Barkley in Atlanta

Charles Barkley had a little fun last night with the state of Kentucky during the Thunder/Spurs postgame show on TNT. Ernie Johnson was going over the network’s summer NASCAR schedule and Charles chimed in with a joke after the mention of the Quaker State 400 in Sparta.

He said, “Other than John Calipari and Rick Pitino, there’s no reason to go to Kentucky.”

Oh, Chuck.

Thanks to our buddy World Wide Wes, I was fortunate enough to hangĀ out with Charles for a little while at the SEC Tournament in Atlanta this year and, not only is he a lot of fun, he’s a great guy. At one point in the night he took the microphone from the DJ and gave a shout-out to UK fans, then bought drinks for everyone in the bar for the next 20 minutes.

A friend of mine was also at the bar and she caught Charles’ generosity on video. We’ll leave her anonymous here because he told everyone to put their phones down, but here’s the video:

Article written by Drew Franklin

11 Comments for Charles Barkley makes fun of Kentucky, plus a night with Barkley in Atlanta

1. Coach
    12:24 pm May 26, 2014 Permalink

UK playing Kansas in Louisville…..baseball that is.

2. Rei
    12:40 pm May 26, 2014 Permalink

I do like the fact that he seems to be a UK fan. He doesn’t strike me as a man of brilliance, but he seems like a lot of fun.

• Jus sayin
      1:50 pm May 26, 2014 Permalink

Yea he has always been friendly to UK

• A. Gent
      7:13 pm May 26, 2014 Permalink

Sir Chas. Barkley….IS a brilliant man. R U kidding me? Hay Zeus Phillipedes. My Brother-in-law is from Leeds. Bama fan. Has no clue of the legend: that lives. I went to UK. The one time, I waited all night for tickets was to see a 3-game series which included Chuck Persons and Charles Barkley (Auburn), IU (Bob Knight), and UofL (Denny Crum). Back in the day, as Charles would say. The man entertained then; he lives now, and will always be: Sir Charles Barkley.

3. hersheyisabear
    12:52 pm May 26, 2014 Permalink

Because Auburn was so much of a better choice. Come on, Charles. Seriously?

4. Randy
    2:10 pm May 26, 2014 Permalink

I used to own a night club downtown Lexington and every year Barkley would come in for a charity golf tournament. He would sign autographs for anyone who wanted one and buy a round of drinks for multiple tables and groups. One year he hung out in our VIP with a bunch of ex Cats that were mostly current NBA guys. He never asked for any money or special attention. He may joke about Kentucky but he is good people to me. Besides, if he says to much we can just show the picture of his last game against UK were he was left crying in the middle of the floor like a baby with a big head.

5. truBLU
    4:58 pm May 26, 2014 Permalink

6. goukgo
    5:17 pm May 26, 2014 Permalink

He should be banned for life.

7. Chaz
    6:22 pm May 26, 2014 Permalink

Some folks make it a point to visit every state in the Union. Sir Charles’ bucket list includes pissing off every state before he dies. And he’s pulling it off!

8. Megan
    3:53 pm May 27, 2014 Permalink

I love Charles. And he’s about right when it comes to Kentucky. Of course, you can make like observations about any number of states.