Celebrating a little momentum (Monday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap Kentucky’s big win over Missouri, discuss the latest leaks in the FBI’s investigation into college basketball, and much, much more.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

97 Comments for Celebrating a little momentum (Monday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:08 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

What about my man Vando? 15 rb in 27 minutes; that’s 22 per game. Those are Rodman numbers.

• He’s unbelievable. And to think I didn’t believe he could contribute much coming in so late. I think Junior Porter didn’t want none ah Jarred!

• Realme
      10:13 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

He’s really having an impact. Also, he’ll make a heck of an enforcer if we ever need one.

2. Morning’ BBN! Cats are playing soooooooooooo much better. I guess we all need to learn to trust Cal.

Here is one of my random not stickin’ ta sports links. It caught my eye since the cardinal is the Kentucky state bird, and although the UL Cards are our rivals, the birds are really beautiful IMHO. Here you go:

“One in a million yellow cardinal spotted in Alabama”

• Realme
      10:14 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

That’s really cool.

• 4everUKblue
      10:18 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Wow!

• JTHinton
      10:19 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Some of us never doubted this team 😉

• JTHinton
      10:19 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Man City are the 2018 Carabao Cup Champions

• Realme
      10:26 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

I doubted a bit, but I did so quietly without accusing the players and coaches of terrible things.

• Same Realme.

4 everblue, speaking of non-sports topics, your link about how the music of the hippie movement got started: who knew Frank Zappa was (allegedly) for the war and couldn’t stand the hippie movement he helped create? Wow! Weird.

• 4everUKblue
      10:46 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Yeah CG, I found that and the fact that he never used drugs (allegedly) surprising. BTW, the author suddenly got cancer and died really suddenly.

• J-Dub421
      10:48 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

I hold no grudge against actual cardinals (of the avian variety).

• One person in the comments on that article said the yellow ones are much more tasty. lol

3. 4everUKblue
    10:17 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

I think the haters failed to take notice during our struggles that we had JV not playing, Green injured, Baker injured and not that it was that big of an impact but, Tai was injured. Even after JV started playing and Green came back, it took some time for the two of them to get up to speed.

4. I missed the beginning of the story. How did this “scuffle” start?

• Realme
      10:20 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Guy cut line in the restroom and said something about not caring about lines.

• Yeah, I picked that up later. After he wouldn’t talk about it in the post game (said I’ll save it for Monday), I thought he got into an actual donnybrook. I’m disappointed. Haha! 😛

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

And then called him a pejorative name for a gay person.

• 4everUKblue
      10:41 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

In some European countries they are restroom attendants. When I was in Amsterdam there was a really big stern looking woman in uniform stationed in the men’s room. Felt pretty weird.

• That’s totally inappropriate 4ever. I’d have to go find another one (assuming I have the time to).

• 4everUKblue
      11:18 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

CG, I agree and it was very weird like a lot of other things in Europe, they were in every restroom.

5. Realme
    10:19 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Ha ha, listening to the story I thought this would be one of those darn millennials. 55 is too old to be a brat but too young to not give a blank.

• RealCatsFan
      10:37 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

That guy was probably one of those douchebags who has lived his whole life with a silver spoon in his mouth, probably from daddy’s money, and thinks he is above waiting in line, and for that matter, probably above all rules and laws that apply to the rest of us. Reminds me of someone else…

6. 4everUKblue
    10:19 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Story time with Uncle Matt….Anything happen in UK sports this past weekend?

7. runningunnin.454
    10:21 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

File that call on Hami as “Well, the ref is blind or doesn’t understand the game”. The guy backed over him like a mack truck. Same with the first half fouls on Knox; of course, they missed calls both ways…their incompetence continues to reach new levels. Sometimes you just have to laugh.

• 4everUKblue
      10:25 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

And don’t forget the foul on the lob to JV that resulted in taking the ball out of bounds and free throws.

• Yeah, Hami was totally not moving. I remember hearing a radio broadcast a long time ago. I can’t remember who was playing, but I think it was a small college bball game. Anyway, the announcer said something like having to overcome the other team and “these 3 blind mice”. Too funny.

• 4everUKblue
      10:29 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

*and NO free throws.

• runningunnin.454
      10:32 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Did you see Bob Huggins was reprimanded for his comments after the Kansas game? I guess the Big 12 is proud of a 35-2 FT advantage. Business as usual in Lawrence.

• J-Dub421
      10:52 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

College officiating is terrible and the refs are never held accountable, so they will never change.

8. Realme
    10:26 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

I’d like to see video of Matt trying to throw a punch.

9. Realme
    10:29 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

It’s odd about this team. They feed off each other in shooting. If one can’t hit anything, often none of them can. One gets hot, most of them follow suit.

10. Shannon should have played “Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting”! Come on STD!

11. secrick
    10:35 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

I can’t believe how players hitting shots makes everyone look so good. I thought we played a good tough game and i was so happy for Diallo.

12. Argh! I missed the pun that made Matt laugh. What was it?

13. runningunnin.454
    10:37 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

I normally like Sean Farnham; but, I was really disappointed with the call Saturday. All they talked about was Deandre Ayton, Sean Miller, and the guy on the Missouri bench that’s only played two minutes this year.
    They didn’t even announce Knox’s 2nd foul; it was under the basket, and I missed it. So I’m wondering why Kevin is on the bench for 12 minutes in the first half.

• Realme
      10:39 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

And shoes. They were obsessed with shoes.

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

The good thing about Kevin sitting so much is that the team thrived without him. It was a one to two point game, and they pushed the lead to 12 by halftime.

• Booby Petrino
      10:52 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

ha ha yeah they were totally obsessed w that guy’s ripped shoes and PJ’s “workmans boots” lol

• To be fair, much of that shoe conversation was once the game was in hand for UK.

• J-Dub421
      10:58 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

PJ’s shoes looked like they were made from dragon scales from Game of Thrones or something.

14. Realme
    10:42 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

As someone on Twitter pointed out, Cronin’s comments make him sound like a good candidate for Louisville’s next coach. Nonsensical and acting like a victim.

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Yep, in their game with Xavier this year, he was hit with a technical, and then went after an X player in the “handshake” line after the game. I’m sure the player had said something; but still, he’s a coach and a grown man. In his post game press conference, he said “that guy would never play for him”.
      Before talking about UK, he should strive to be the best team in Cincinnati.

• J-Dub421
      10:55 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Cronin needs to work on his team being the best in their city and state, and keep our name out of his mouth.

15. 4everUKblue
    10:51 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Is JV not the best rebounder Cal has had? I think he is.

• 4everUKblue
      10:54 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Of course I have done no research so I could be wrong.

• J-Dub421
      10:55 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

If not Vando, then Terrence Jones.

• Realme
      10:57 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

He absolutely would be if he’d been playing all season. As it is, he’s close, at the very least.

• 4everUKblue
      11:00 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

His energy is off the charts. I love his game, and he hit a shot not within one foot of the basket so that’s cause for excitement as well.

• ClutchCargo
      11:05 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

He’s really good, but I have a hard time putting him above Anthony Davis and Boogie.

16. BTW, did you see at the start of the Zone game that Bill Walton said something like (talking about the scandal) “This goes against everything I believe in morally, ethically…”.

I wonder if he’s ever heard the name Sam Gilbert?

17. Realme
    10:58 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Interesting how many players / parents on the list have flat out said they had never met with that agent. What if the whole list is bogus.

• J-Dub421
      11:00 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

It’s not like these agents have any scruples, so it’s entirely plausible that they would lie on an expense report.

• ClutchCargo
      11:07 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

What I have heard quite a bit is the parent(s) saying the kid never took any money. Carefully worded comments.

• BluKudzu
      12:26 pm February 26, 2018 Permalink

A spread sheet is evidence, but it is not a conviction. The deal is sleazy as it gets, and why would anyone, use the document generated by slimeballs to be unquestioned proof?

18. Realme
    10:59 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

I know Ayton is claiming innocence, but the evidence in that case sounds compelling. How unfair would it be for AZ to knock other teams out of the tourney and then get vacated, if they knew since Feb that he isn’t eligible?

• J-Dub421
      11:01 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

How are they holding Miller out, but not Ayton? It makes no sense.

• ClutchCargo
      11:09 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

J-Dub, I asked that question repeatedly over the weekend. The only way I can make it work in my head is that MIller and whoever were prepared to pay him the $100,000 if that’s what it took, but then he signed anyway. But even that seems dumb.

• runningunnin.454
      11:12 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Miller, I think, is toast. I heard some analyst over the weekend say he wouldn’t coach another game.

19. runningunnin.454
    11:01 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

I haven’t seen the new top 25 if it’s out; but, I don’t even want to be in it. They can have their Nevadas, St. Mary’s, Houstons, and Florida States.
    I know what we have.

• J-Dub421
      11:03 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

I know that they way we’re playing now, no one wants to play us in the tournament.

• 4everUKblue
      11:04 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

I think the top 25 comes out Tues or Wed.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:14 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

I would guess we’d be 23rd or 24th this week. Florida State and Houston both lost this week and we’ll leapfrog a losing Baylor and possibly trump Middle Tennessee.

20. J-Dub421
    11:06 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

I was sooooo happy that Hami finally had a good game. He had looked so dejected recently.

• runningunnin.454
      11:10 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Now we have to worry about SKJ; he looked really unhappy on the bench. I think he would get a lot of minutes next year.

• 4everUKblue
      11:10 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Same here, when he hit his first 3 I scared the hell out of my dog.

• Realme
      11:11 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Same. SO fun to watch when the players are having fun.

• Realme
      11:13 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

My Twitter thinks Sacha is the transfer Matt keeps alluding to. It’s like last year all over again with him. I was happy earlier that he was getting to contribute.

• J-Dub421
      11:14 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

I was so proud of the fans for cheering Hami all night and trying to pump him up and applauding his good play. I really think he will continue to play well now. The weight was finally lifted.

21. secrick
    11:08 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

What about the three that Brad hit, loved the players reaction to it.

• J-Dub421
      11:12 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Hami lost his mind over Brad’s three.

22. J-Dub421
    11:17 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Normally our young teams improve gradually. This team did it all at once. All of a sudden everything clicked. It’s like three games ago, Cal flipped a switch and now we’re good. I’ve never seen anything like it.

• secrick
      11:19 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Cal never panics , just us, well some of us.

23. Laker Cat 18
    11:18 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Two weeks ago, I made the prediction that we’d see a worst-case scenario and lose 13 games including our first round match-up in the SEC tournament. I’m so glad to be proven wrong. I now think we can and will win out in the regular season and are very likely to make a deep run in the SEC tourney.

News that SGA has taken leadership of the team could be attributed to the recent team success! I’m very proud of the guys. Finish with a bang fellas!

• Laker Cat 18
      11:20 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

The team has looked MUCH different the past 3 games. Hoping to see them build on whatever changes they have made. Effort has been much better. Just want the team to know that we are all noticing their hard work!

• sprtphan
      11:54 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Sorry, but you my friend are a bandwagoner. Guess there are things. Stay calm and enjoy.

• Realme
      11:58 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Disagree, sprtphan. People can doubt, but keep watching and hope to be proven wrong. It’s not the same thing as attacking the players and coaches and quitting on the team.

• Laker Cat 18
      12:20 pm February 26, 2018 Permalink

sprtphan – Welcome to the KSR comment section, newbie.

24. J-Dub421
    11:31 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

I’m going on record to say I think we’ll win at Florida.

25. peaches76
    11:38 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Matt, calling Wynyard no good? Not a good look. Has a scholarship to play basketball at UK. Those aren’t given lightly. Poor decision on who he was running with? No doubt. In the wrong system/style of play? Probably so, but that falls on he and staff. Even you guys were pumping him up back in the summer. Your “not very good” comment was in poor taste. IMO

26. RealCatsFan
    11:46 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Haven’t been keeping up with KSR because of all the health issues with my parents. Going with my dad to meet the doctors to talk about his latest scan. Nervous as crap about it, and can only imagine how he feels. Mom is in the hospital with CHF and a spinal fracture. When it rains it pours…

• 4everUKblue
      11:49 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

Prayers for your parents RCF.

• Realme
      11:51 am February 26, 2018 Permalink

You got this, RCF. Don’t forget to take care of yourself too.

• BluKudzu
      12:33 pm February 26, 2018 Permalink

RCF
      Wow, Very sorry to learn of the parents situation. Hoping all goes well, and make sure to keep everything in perspective. It is very hard to do, but only you can control your stress, which can be prelude to health issues.
      Take care, keeping you in my thoughts.