Cameron Mills and Lee K. Howard take over KSR (Monday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Cameron Mills and Lee K. Howard are stepping in to run the show after Rex Chapman and Josh Hopkins had to cancel due to some unforeseen travel delays. Tune in to hear their breakdown of the latest topics in UK sports, including USA’s loss in the FIBA World Cup, the NBA Summer League, and SEC Media Days down in Hoover.

The rest of this week’s guest host schedule:

Tuesday, July 11: Avery Williamson
Wednesday, July 12: Mark Titus and Tate Frazier
Thursday, July 13: The Sklar Brothers
Friday, July 14: Laura Rutledge

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

41 Comments for Cameron Mills and Lee K. Howard take over KSR (Monday Show Thread)

1. Realme
    10:03 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

2 questions:

Is Cal on the hot seat… for the U19 team?

More seriously: Has Tai made his case for playing time on this year’s team?

• runningunnin.454
      10:06 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

Canada beat us, Spain beat Canada, and we destroyed Spain…just shows you the challenges of coaching very young players, and Cal is the best.

• Realme
      10:10 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, I’m kidding about that part. Most of the U.S.’s best under 19s are in the G league right now. But there does seem to be people on the Twitter thinking that way.

• Not Dan Issel
      10:12 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

If, and that is a big if, Tai’s performance is a genuine indicator of his improved skill set, it will be difficult for Cal not to keep him off the court.

• Not Dan Issel
      10:14 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

I don’t like that last sentence. Maybe it should have said “it will be difficult for Cal to not keep him on the court.” In other words, Tai has to play some unless in practice he is not what we saw this summer.

• I agree about Tai. I think our inside game will be solid. I just hope we have something on the perimeter. That seems to always be our Achilles heel.

• Realme
      10:34 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

I think we’ll have (just barely) enough 3 point shooting, by committee (several players than can shoot, no single phenoms). It sounds like free throws will be an issue for some of the guys (as usual).

• Oh yeah, the OTHER Achilles heel.

• J-Dub421
      10:41 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

Cal’s players have a history of improving at free throw shooting throughout the course of the season, and from 1 year to the next.

The little I saw of Tai’s play (via highlights), I thought he looked more confident, had some improved post moves, and looked to be in much better shape and ran the floor a lot better. Those things should transfer over to the season and I think Tai will see more playing time.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:13 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

Cal….call R.J. !!!

3. Realme
    10:13 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

I’m glad it’s these guys instead of 2 similar guys with WAY bigger heads.

4. I like Cameron, but even if you don’t, you have to admit he brings some energy.

5. GoBigBlu
    10:18 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

Good to hear you again Cameron!!

6. Realme
    10:25 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

Preach Cameron!

• Sorry I always do this: what was he talking about? I was distracted by work. 🙂

• Realme
      10:31 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

He was ranting against the whole Cal’s a failure because he ONLY has one championship so far thing that people do.

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

Cal has won 82.5% at UK, his winning per cent has been in top 5 in the country 4 out of 8 years; and, he has had No. 1 winning per cent twice.
      Who do they want…Red Auerbach or Phil Jackson?
      Coach K’s record at Duke is 78.6%.

• Realme
      10:45 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

Another reason people who feel that way don’t make sense is, to make their argument, they have to assume Cal won’t get another one. We’re in the hunt every year, people. It’s only a matter of time.

• Rupp. 🙂

Seriously, it’s just like Bama football fans. Until Saban came along, some Bama fans would have rather had Bear’s bones in a chair on the sidelines than some of the coaches they’ve had.

• J-Dub421
      10:51 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

Cal has a higher win percentage at Kentucky than Rupp, Pitino, Hall, or anyone else.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:07 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

J-Dub and others bringing facts but good luck getting some of our “fans” to accept these unassailable truths.

• J-Dub421
      11:12 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

You can’t fix stupid.

7. Cam is a pickler? Who knew?

8. runningunnin.454
    10:56 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

I went to a well known UL fan site over the weekend for my weekly comedy fix; didn’t have to wait long.
    There was an article about Pitino talking about next season’s team.
    Very first comment; “this team has a very, very high ceiling”. Ha Ha Ha,
    Can’t make this stuff up.

• Realme
      10:58 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

My co-workers must wonder why I occasionally just sputter with laughter, but I just can’t help it.

• runningunnin.454
      11:11 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

Yep, only thing better is if Rick had said it. Matt would collapse and die from laughter.

9. Realme
    11:13 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

This guy’s story is awesome. I’d heard him before, but didn’t know how he got started as a member of BBN.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:19 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

Agreed. He is awesome. I feel a little lame as a fan in this guy’s shadow. Fortunately my wife accepts my insanity during the season as Iong as I come back to Earth during the summer.

• Realme
      11:22 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

My spouse feels almost as dedicated as I do, thankfully. My friends think I’m crazy, but it amuses them.

10. J-Dub421
    11:18 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

Okay, I’m a huge UK fan, but this dude is a lunatic. If watching sports causes you to get divorced and estranged from your family, you need to re-evaluate your life. Also, it’s only acceptable for toddlers to throw tantrums because they don’t know any better. You’re a grown man, act like one.

• Realme
      11:20 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

If it was for any other team besides mine, I’d probably agree with you, but I think he’s awesome.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:22 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

I cannot disagree but these issues may be more common than you might think, especially in a fan base such as BBN.

• Realme
      11:24 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

I’m sure his situations were actually more complicated than just his sports behavior. Relationships tend to break down for many reasons, then we remember that one interaction the most.

• J-Dub421
      11:27 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

I can agree with that, but skipping your uncle’s funeral is pretty bad, as is breaking things. We all yell at our TV’s but have enough self control to not break things.

11. Random question: why do they use a girl’s basketball in international ball?

12. J-Dub421
    11:35 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

#1 There is a lot less defense in the NBA, so it’s probably easier for guys like Bam.
    #2 Cal does not hold guys back. He does force them to develop the weakest areas of their game, which makes them more successful in the NBA.

• Realme
      11:44 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

Agree. Some people confuse Cal getting them to share and play in the way that is best for the team instead of the individual with holding them back. What is clear is that Cal guys are almost always more NBA ready than non-Cal guys with comparable talent.

13. J-Dub421
    11:58 am July 10, 2017 Permalink

BS!! Roy Williams totally knew, and so did Dean Smith!! They went to athletic department meetings where they discussed the African American Studies classes. There was one where the Department Chair was retiring and they were worried about the gravy train ending.