Cam Reddish commits to Duke

2018 five-star SF Cam Reddish has committed to Duke.

Duke and Kentucky were considered the final two schools in consideration, with UCLA, Villanova, and UCONN on the list, as well.

Reddish was on Calipari’s FIBA team in Egypt, where it was reported the Wildcats made up a ton of ground in the forward’s recruitment. In the end, though, the heavy favorite won out.

The latest speculation in recruiting circles is that Kentucky was only going to be able to land two of Reddish, Zion Williamson, and RJ Barrett. With Williamson and Barrett considered heavy favorites for UK, this news was bound to happen sooner or later.

On that note, here are highlights of the two (potential) future Wildcats to cheer you up:

Go. Big. Blue.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

15 Comments for Cam Reddish commits to Duke

1. Jiminy Crickets
    8:36 pm September 1, 2017 Permalink

early in this process I thought we would land Naz Reed (never offered) and Cam Reddish. Looks like Cal has gone all in on Zion and Barrett. Now that Reddish is at Duke, Id say UKs chances at Barrett are really good, but have suspicion Zion ends up at Kansas, and actually think Quickley goes with him. I think the chances that several of this years kids comes back, will keep OADs from piling on UK this recruiting season. Losing to Canada in the U-19 was a really bad turn for Calipari. Dukes class this year, and next is looking scary good.

• Rabbi Li
      1:08 am September 2, 2017 Permalink

Naz Reed would be a nightmare. It would be like recruiting a tall Lance Stephenson. PR disasters from 1000 miles away. It’s like risking your program on the behavior responsibility of zoo animals.

In the world of big men there are plenty of other options.

Demarcus Cousins is about as far out on the limb that Calipari should ever go (and I’d say to do it again… as Boogie has enough people skills to bridge the gap). Demarcus was a risk but he was also raised to understand responsibility (even if he couldn’t always keep a lid on his reactions on the court… when looked at closely he was being competitive and when a big guy is that way small guy sometimes go flying. He showed he could make it through his BBall time without any hideous off the court incidents.

2. 3 fan
    10:06 pm September 1, 2017 Permalink

Cal is getting his ass handed to him by K right now. I mean BAD. Get a recruit Cal

3. chris43
    10:12 pm September 1, 2017 Permalink

Certainly makes you wonder what Duke is doing to land all these top notch guys lately. If we land Barret and Zion no biggie whatsoever BUT if they ended up going elsewhere or even one of them and it’s a different story. I just don’t understand it. Cal sends way more to the NBA and his players tend to do much better there and get the very sweet second contracts. But even with that we still lose out on the top 1-3 guys lately it seems. But after all those are rankings and all are five star talents. I know it’s based on a player by player basis naturally….but honestly most years what’s the real difference between the supposed “#1 guy” and say the “#4 guy”. They’re all five star prospects in that range. It just kills me seeing them picking Duke so much lately.

4. loosey101
    10:49 pm September 1, 2017 Permalink

It’s been pretty tough watching Duke pull in these top recruits lately. Really does make you wonder why they are choosing Duke and what they are selling. Part of my is starting to question Cal’s staff, I understand they just hired this Justin guy last year, but it may be time to bring in a big gun for recruiting.

5. KayutsBy90
    11:13 pm September 1, 2017 Permalink

I honestly think its the academics being far superior at Duke. I think parents want their kids to go to Duke for that reason and it keeps UK coming in second for almost every recruit.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:39 pm September 1, 2017 Permalink

…Except that for a “one-and-dones” academics are generally not an issue, even as a fall-back. I can see academics as a major factor for anyone who is anywhere below a lottery pick. That is not to say that there may be the occasional lottery pick with a 4.0 GPA and perfect SATs.

If either of my daughters were to get a scholarship at Duke I am sending them but will NEVER support their basketball team.

• Cletis75
      4:59 am September 2, 2017 Permalink

Academics? Not sure but there’s a lot of people in North Carolina that say most Duke players take courses from NC a&t to stay eligible. Not sure, just saying.

• yoshukai
      9:21 am September 2, 2017 Permalink

That is laughable. Dukes basketball players don’t take REAL DUke classes and very few could get into Duke if they had the same admission standards as regular students . Besides 1 year at Duke is not an education.

6. LegggoooCats
    11:42 pm September 1, 2017 Permalink

I know a lot of people always say to trust Cal in recruiting and that he’s never out of it (look at us getting Kevin Knox)… but I must agree with most here. I myself have been a bit alarmed with recruiting recently. Coach K and Duke are snagging up every huge recruit it seems, and our shine has taken a hit. We need to improve our staff, and have guys that recruits relate with and enjoy being around, like they did with Antigua. Something isn’t quite right.

7. az1006
    12:03 am September 2, 2017 Permalink

I tend to think that most of the time, when Cal loses a recruit, it’s either because Kentucky was never in the driver’s seat to begin with, or he’s put his priorities elsewhere. In this case, I think it’s fair to say he’s zoning in on Williamson and Barrett, and for good reason. Barrett is a generational-type talent, and I think Cal’s success with Murray (a fellow Canadian) will pay huge dividends there. If we end up with Quickley, Williamson, and Barrett, the recent losses in recruiting are a small blip. Time will tell, so we will see. But I’m going to continue to have faith in Cal’s ability until proven otherwise.

8. AllBall
    2:28 am September 2, 2017 Permalink

Im not convinced we land Zion. I realize the shoe affiliation conspiracy theories don’t hold water but from what I’m hearing the KU/Adidas partnership helps them.
    I think UK will ultimately sign 5 guys to the 2018 class. Given Cal’s recent interest in Shittu and Keldon Johnson it will be a stretch to land both Barrett and Zion. Funny how certain players like Moses Brown and Louis King are still waiting on offers. Hopefully, it all works out in the end. I predict it to look something like this:
    Quickley
    Barrett/Zion
    K. Johnson
    Bol Bol/Brown
    Simi Shittu

• Cletis75
      5:03 am September 2, 2017 Permalink

Possible, I guess. Just can’t understand why anyone would go to Kansas.

9. yoshukai
    9:28 am September 2, 2017 Permalink

It can all be traced back to Duke bringing in Jeff Capel (who by the way , broke the rules and got fired at Oklahoma) , and Kentucky losing Antigua . Plus , besides Duke and North Carolina NO other school would have been able to take Duval and pull the shit they did with Bagley and have them ruled eligible.