Cal’s comments, Kentucky football and… toys? (Tuesday Show Thread)

Good morning, Cats fans. Today on Kentucky Sports Radio radio, Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond will weigh in on what John Calipari had to say about the Harrisons yesterday. Plus plenty of football talk and a look at the best toy of all time.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

60 Comments for Cal’s comments, Kentucky football and… toys? (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:52 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Yes. I am back! The return of Jason haha. Had to take a break for a few.

Who is all camping out? I would like to say I’ll try Ticketmaster but it NEVER ever works.

• ukjaybrat
      10:07 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

1) congrats on being back…
      2) So your screenname is essentially a shortened version of mine, now you’re telling me we have the same name too? no wonder people think i’m you all the time …

• UK_JB
      10:20 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Thanks! Haha yeah I think 4 years ago I there was a UK_Jason so I didn’t use it.

2. Daniel
    10:01 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I got ticketmaster to work last year, I doubt I will get it two years in a row though!

• ukjaybrat
      10:08 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

my wife has gotten tickets every year since 2011 (the Davis year) through ticket master. last year was almost a failure. she woke up late but got in at the last second and stole one somehow.

3. Realme
    10:05 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I really didn’t like what Cal said yesterday. It was like he was saying we lost because he left the twins in. Very unfair to them, as we lost because of a number of factors throughout the game. I don’t think he meant it that way, but any amount of thought before speaking would tell him that the media would take that and run with it.

• ukjaybrat
      10:10 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

note: I haven’t read the full quote in context.

I don’t think it mattered how he phrased it. The media are going to twist his words any way they want to make it sound bad. The only good outcome would have been if Cal never mentioned the Wisconsin game again. He could argue that he left Aaron in because Booker was not having a great few games.
      and anyone could argue that Ulis should have been in over Andrew.

… but imo the ultimate argument would have been to leave Aaron in over Booker and Andrew in because of the brother synergy …

• Daniel
      10:11 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Same

• Realme
      10:13 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Amen to him just not mentioning it again. If he wants media attention, get it for the current team.

4. houndstooth
    10:18 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I think it would be kentucky football if Ryan Lemond rushed the field by himself and we got find $250,000.00 but they allow him to do his on math and only pays $2.50.

5. Big Curt
    10:19 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Wow, Matt Jones bringing the “I love you, but…” to Cal. lol

6. kramer
    10:23 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I didn’t hear what Cal said, I am over the Wisconsin game, I don’t blame any 1 player or coach. We lost only 1 teams wins the championship, its over. I live in Louisville, I enjoy listening to sports radio, however my choices in the drive in to work are Drew Deener or some x- UL player. I listen to Deener however today his guest host was Billy Reed, he hates Calipari. I assume Cal mentioned something about getting kids to NBA, not being students, so of course Billy Reed blabbed on about how Cal is ruining College basketball and athletics.

• ukjaybrat
      10:26 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

ditto. except i usually get to work shortly after 7:00. i usually catch the end of mike and mike and beginning of deener. so i got out of the car right as reed was opening his mouth. His Hate for Coach Cal is blatantly obvious. Does anyone know when their transition to 93.9 will be complete or will they always stay on that channel ?

• I don’t think I’ve ever heard Reed, but from everything I read he hates everything UK, so no surprise.

• ukjaybrat
      10:30 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

* “that channel” being espn 680

• J-Dub421
      10:36 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I never listen to any U of L radio shows. I’m pretty sure they would just make me angry, so why do that to myself?

• Booby Petrino
      10:44 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Listening to a UofL show sounds as awful as visiting Card Chronicle. Pass.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:06 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Reed’s relevancy disappeared with Knight.

7. Car Talk is HILARIOUS!!! I think one of the brothers died recently, but the show stopped production a couple years ago or so. It’s still in rerun form where I live.

As for the Cal comments, we’re all human, but he knows how dissected his statements are because of his position. He knew what he was saying. I just wish he would have done what Matt said and told them it’s over and that he’s already answered the question (many times over I’m sure).

• BlueRedneck
      10:54 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Yes, Tom Magliozzi passed away last year. He was the one with that hilarious cackle of a laugh and that northeast Pennsylvania accent that makes me smile all by itself. Ray survives him. That was one of my favorite radio shows. Spent many a Saturday morning turning wrenches in the garage listening to those guys. They were immortalized in the movie “Cars”.

8. Saul Smith
    10:37 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Ryan don’t be angry at me!!

9. houndstooth
    10:38 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

The next great song for football will be “play that funky music”

10. Jason
    10:39 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

In regards to the Eastern Kentucky football scuffles that happened. Which incident happened first, the Bar fight or the dorm room sucker punch?

• J-Dub421
      10:41 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

The bar fight happened first.

• BlueRedneck
      10:47 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I know Coach Stoops has already said that Barker will see some action during the EKU game, but based on the past history with the fights down in Richmond, I wonder if the wise decision would have been to hold him out of action in this game. What if an EKU player decides to seek retribution with a cheap shot like a chop block or low tackle to Drew’s knees? He could end up out for the season.

After saying that, I think the tragedy that happened this week may wake everyone up to the fact that this is just a football game and act as a pressure valve. At least I hope so.

11. houndstooth
    10:53 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

but there are alot of bad fans that you don’t hear from. I would say it is around 10%.

12. J-Dub421
    10:53 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Towns was double teamed, and they couldn’t get the ball in to him.

13. J-Dub421
    10:54 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

NNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! No Kentucky Joe singing!!!!!! STOP!!!!

• Realme
      10:56 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think that was singing. He is a lunatic.

• J-Dub421
      10:59 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I cringe everytime he calls in.

• ukjaybrat
      11:03 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

ditto. he has to be a plant. i don’t know anyone that WANTS to hear from him but they keep letting him on whenever he calls

• hater
      11:05 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I wish he was Louisville Joe, Tennessee Joe or anything other than Ky Joe.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:09 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I am not a big fan of internet petitions but would consider signing one (3 or 4 times) if it was to ban KY Joe from all electronic transmissions and media.

14. Daniel
    10:57 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I guess we got it….

15. houndstooth
    10:58 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I think that was the mating call for the crane.

16. BlueRedneck
    11:12 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

My daughter went to the UofL football game with one of her teammates (yes, I know, against my better judgement). I asked how the game was the next day, and all she had to say was that there were a lot of drunk people around her.

• ukjaybrat
      11:40 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

par for the course…

17. CATandMONKEY
    11:13 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

If KY Joe is the highlight of your show, a career change might be in order.

18. Realme
    11:15 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I think we need to have a little faith in Boom. Hopefully things are getting overly speculated about and blown out of proportion. I don’t think anyone as together as him would go off the rails over being outplayed by a teammate. I think he would look at that as a challenge.

• J-Dub421
      11:18 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Agreed. He doesn’t seem like the type to completely freak out over one bad game.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:22 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Whatever the situation with Williams, I have confidence that Stoops is handling it with far more skill and aplomb than Petrino would.

• BlueRedneck
      11:24 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

C&M, well that would be an easy one. 😀

• CATandMONKEY
      11:29 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Blue: indeed! A bit weak of me to state something so obvious.

19. CATandMONKEY
    11:23 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Want to lift the mood of the show? Toss Ryan a 4th grade math word problem.

20. BlueRedneck
    11:23 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I am listening while at work, and apparently I missed something when I had to take a customer call. What is the news from Ryan that has Matt bummed out?

• J-Dub421
      11:33 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Ryan said he heard an unsubstantiated rumor that Boom wasn’t even going to be at practice today and took UK off of his social media accounts.

• BlueRedneck
      11:38 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

If it is unsubstantiated, I would not give it the time of day. There is enough negativity being spread by trolls without giving some BS rumour legs on KSR. I think this will be long forgotten in two weeks.

21. EROCK
    11:25 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

After looking at Boom’s twitter, it looks like to me that he is saying that God helped him see the light that he needs to be a team guy and not selfish. I didn’t read it as an exit memo. I don’t think Boom is going to do something silly because of one bad game. Perhaps his opened eyes comment is recognizing that he was in the wrong. Let’s support Boom, he’s a young man who’s going to make mistakes. Let’s go Boom! Let’s Go Big Blue!

• CATandMONKEY
      11:33 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Hope he is simply working through the often typical maturity issues that often plague talented youngsters.As long as he is paying attention to Stoops and buying in to the team concept I will continue to fully support him. He is an explosive player who has the potential to be a legend at UK.

22. BlueRedneck
    11:40 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I did a quick search on “Boom Williams” and saw an entry by Ryan saying that he had added UK Athletics back to his twitter account. Maybe he was just having phone issues.

23. BlueRedneck
    11:41 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

And now KSR posts and entry about Baker’s hand in a cast? Man, you guys are just FULL of sunshine and rainbows today, aren’t you?

24. BlueRedneck
    11:46 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I’m hitting the big 5-0 this weekend, and looking back turning 30 or even 40 was no big deal.

• Realme
      11:49 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I’m closing in on 40, but don’t see what the big deal is. Everyone has to get older at the same rate.

• BlueRedneck
      11:50 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Yep, getting older sucks, but it beats the alternative.

• Stuck on Blue
      11:51 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

It’s certainly better than the alternative! 😉

• J-Dub421
      11:53 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Happy early Birthday!!

• BlueRedneck
      11:56 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Thanks! Kind of sad that I don’t have some kind of big bash planned for it. But we burned the house down when i turned 40. 😀

25. BlueRedneck
    11:55 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

I have daughters, and I know WAY more about American Girl Dolls than I could have ever predicted ten years ago. They are simply expensive dust gatherers now. Kind of like all the Barbie Dolls and Breyer Horses that we have hundreds of dollars wrapped up in.

26. BlueRedneck
    11:57 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

Kind of priceless to hear Matt talking about how he likes big nuts.