Calipari visiting five-star forward Jonathan Kuminga

Jon Lopez | Nike

Photo: Jon Lopez/Nike

John Calipari is back on the recruiting trail. According to Jake Weingarten, Cal is in New Jersey today to see five-star forward Jonathan Kuminga, the No. 1 player in the 2021 class who is considering reclassifying to 2020.

Calipari and his staff have visited the 6’8″ 205 lbs. St. Patrick star several times over the past few months. Auburn’s Bruce Pearl, Nebraska’s Fred Hoiberg, and LSU’s Will Wade have also prioritized Kuminga this fall, while Duke has shown interest. Many see the Blue Devils as the favorite, but our own Jack Pilgrim said earlier this month that is not the case.

Two weeks ago on the Sources Say Podcast, I reported that the Duke talk surrounding 2021 No. 1 prospect Jonathan Kuminga was incredibly overstated and that the 6-foot-8 forward was not leaning toward the Blue Devils. Since this, that talk has grown even louder, and if I were to make a prediction today, I’d say Kuminga will not wind up at Duke if he reclassifies to the class of 2020, as expected.

In terms of Kentucky’s chances, the coaching staff continues to visit the five-star forward during the fall recruiting period, indicating they feel at least somewhat confident in their chances. One source familiar with Kuminga’s recruitment told KSR on Sunday that the rumblings of Duke’s chances diminishing are also going hand-in-hand with the buzz surrounding Kentucky going up. The five-star forward told KSR at Peach Jam that he had discussed a “dream class” scenario with Kentucky commit Terrence Clarke, with the two openly talking about playing at the same school in college. When you factor in Kuminga being AAU teammates with Lance Ware, along with him being a current student-athlete at The Patrick School – former home of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Dakari Johnson, and Nick Richards – and a star out of New Jersey – Karl-Anthony Towns, Isaiah Briscoe, Kahlil Whitney, Ware all signed with Kentucky out of the state- the connections are certainly there.

Kuminga’s not expected to make a decision — on a school or reclassification — anytime soon, but today’s visit is further proof of Calipari’s new energy in his “second tour” at Kentucky.

14 Comments for Calipari visiting five-star forward Jonathan Kuminga

1. Cletis75
    2:46 pm October 30, 2019 Permalink

Kuminga at the 4 in a small ball scenario would be unbelievable! Would love to have him and Cade, but would be more than happy with either of the 2. Kuminga has been one of my favorite targets of all! It would be lob city with any of our current commits, askew/Boston/Clarke driving the ball to draw the defense! The sky is the limit with these possibilities!

• Cletis75
      2:52 pm October 30, 2019 Permalink

Having good/great shooters Boston/Askew with great scorers, Clarke/Cade/Kuminga would be impossible to stop consistently for any Defense. Then all you need at the 5 is a rim protector/rebounder, as the scoring would be set.

2. UKFanSC
    2:47 pm October 30, 2019 Permalink

Ohhhhhh baby. This guy is the one we want. Second coming of Mashburn. Mega stud.

• Cletis75
      3:08 pm October 30, 2019 Permalink

Mashburn is probably still my favorite player still, even though he got me thrown out of Rupp and almost arrested when I was 17 years old, long story. Their games are very similar in inside and out production!
      I would love to have another “Monster” of that caliber!
      Kuminga plays a little more above the rim than Mash, but I just remember Mashburn hanging in air a half second longer than anyone else to get his shot off! He was so smooth his sophomore and junior years.
      Kuminga really looks a bit more athletic and ready day 1! Mashburn was a bit more physical at 230-240!

• bc79
      8:21 pm October 30, 2019 Permalink

Would love to hear the story…..

• Cletis75
      9:46 pm October 30, 2019 Permalink

BC, to make it shorter, we just put a thumping on the dirty birds Dec 28 1991 in front of I think it was the 3rd largest crowd ever at Rupp! Pitino and Cawood did the after show courtside and kids are on the court playing with pitino’s kids. Was my first game ever, went with my uncle Jesse James, who at the time would slap the devil for talking bad about “His Cats!” When Pitino left I got his and Cawood’s autograph on one of the 3 signs, and followed Ricky p to the locker room. Travis Ford comes out, autograph! I go get my uncle cause I can’t believe it, and take him back and my cousin. We stand there talking to 2 security guards for 3 minutes maybe when Jamal my hero Mashburn comes out, puts his arm over his girlfriend’s shoulder and starts to walk out! I was like, Mr Mashburn, can I have your auto graph. He turns around walks over looks at the security guards like, really guys. They snatched me up, slammed me against the wall and started to get really rough. I weighed about a buck twenty. My uncle stepped in told them to calm down, he was taking me home. Fortunately, they listened but I lost my 3 autographs on the old 3 signs they used to give you at the games. I was pissed at Mashburn the whole ride home, but forgave him by the time we got to Livingston Ky, population 241 at the time. Went back following Thursday on January 2nd to see Notre Dame pack a loss back to South Bend! If you’re listening Jamal, I still want that Auto!

3. TonyMontana
    3:42 pm October 30, 2019 Permalink

Kuminga is so dominate. He could go play in the NBA right now and he’s what 16? He is #1 on my wish list right now. Would love to have him at Kentucky.

• J-Dub421
      4:06 pm October 30, 2019 Permalink

No, he dominates, or he is dominant.

• GoCatz
      5:34 pm October 30, 2019 Permalink

What’s up JDub…you worthless POS.

• J-Dub421
      6:06 pm October 30, 2019 Permalink

Wow, I really hit a nerve. You’re seeking out other unrelated comments on other threads. Grow up.

• GoCatz
      6:14 pm October 30, 2019 Permalink

You threw it down, I’m just picking it up.

• TonyMontana
      7:36 pm October 30, 2019 Permalink

Kuminga is so gonna dominate the NCAA. 🙂

4. Saiyanj717
    5:01 pm October 30, 2019 Permalink

Let’s go! Come to the #BBN Kuminga!! Land where Kings are born!

5. Ridge Runner