Calipari Offers Jemarl Baker

Kelly Kline | Under Armour

Kelly Kline | Under Armour

John Calipari has officially extended scholarship offers to three shooting guards.  During a visit to Jemarl Baker’s Los Angeles home, Calipari offered the four-star shooting guard, following Cameron Johnson and Mark Smith.

The former Cal (Berkeley, not Calipari) signee was released from his letter-of-intent after Cuonzo Martin left for Missouri.  Baker is the No. 73 player in the nation according to the 247 Composite Rankings.  Nobody hit more three-pointers on last summer’s Under Armour circuit.

“I feel like I’m a guy that makes plays and gets guys involved but shooting is something I’ve been able to do my whole life,” Baker told Chris Fisher of The Cats Pause following his offer. “Yeah, shooting is definitely what I do best.”

Baker also shared his thoughts on the Wildcats with Fisher. “They’re a great school.” He added: “They develop a lot of great players and that’s what I really like.”

The 6’2″ sharpshooter is also considering Arizona, Duke, Marquette, Utah, Maryland and many others.

During Calipari’s visit to L.A., he and Kenny Payne got to see Malik Monk win the Jerry West Award and watch Skal Labissiere and Willie Cauley-Stein play against Julius Randle.

@UKCoachCalipari

@UKCoachCalipari

[247]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

8 Comments for Calipari Offers Jemarl Baker

1. DrewP
    4:28 pm April 8, 2017 Permalink

Great to see another offer on the table. Wonder what Marcus Lee is thinking since it has now been a year? A lot of turnover at Cal.

2. Not Dan Issel
    4:58 pm April 8, 2017 Permalink

It would seem obvious that the first to commit is the winner, unless Cal has attached some conditions to the offers.

• a21CATSfan
      6:09 pm April 8, 2017 Permalink

I’m wondering what happens if 2 or 3 of these guys commit? Even if Bam stays in the draft, we only have 3 scholarships available. I love the idea of adding depth for the future, but we still need a game changer for next season. Maybe Cal knows more guys are going to leave; hopefully not Wenyen or Sacha.

• BigBlueMeade
      7:40 pm April 8, 2017 Permalink

I feel that Cal has offered these scholarships letting them know that there is a stipulation that if others commit before them that they lose their chance.

3. blackmilk23
    6:28 pm April 8, 2017 Permalink

Is this guy 6’2 or 6’4? I’ve seen both.

4. fatbrat
    8:16 pm April 8, 2017 Permalink

Coach Cal of Kentucky offers 3 scholarships to shooting guards or “John Calipari has officially extended scholarship offers to three Kentucky shooting guards”. Who are the three guards from Kentucky?

• gobble gobble
      9:22 pm April 8, 2017 Permalink

It’s okay, fatbrat… nick makes errors like that on EVERY single article he writes. It is truly annoying and him working for KSR is simply because of who he knows. Easily the worst writer on LSR.

• gobble gobble
      9:24 pm April 8, 2017 Permalink

And the thing is… all it takes is a simple proofread. Derp