Calipari delivers a final message to Marques Bolden

John Calipari isn’t allowed to mention the one remaining target in the 2016 class by name, of course, but if you read between the lines, he had plenty to say to Marques Bolden in today’s press conference. When asked, Calipari denied saying he wanted to add one big man to his recruiting class, telling reporters that he’s not going to pressure a player into coming here, because to succeed at Kentucky, you have to really, really want to play at Kentucky.

“No, I didn’t say that. Here’s what I would say. We don’t try to bully, we don’t try to intimidate, we’re not trying to overwhelm people with calls. We’re not trying to bring all our recruits together in a conference text to try to tell the kid — we don’t tell our kids. We don’t do that.”

“If a kid wants to come and walk on our campus in September, I’m alright with that. I don’t really care. The reason is to come here, you have to be sure this is what you want or you should not come here. This thing is on. This is not for funsies here. My thing is whatever happens, happens. However this stuff plays out for anybody, obviously, that’s the extent of what I can say.”

7 Comments for Calipari delivers a final message to Marques Bolden

1. Bluebloodtoo
    3:54 pm May 11, 2016 Permalink

It doesn’t sound confident or not confident. It sounds neutral, like ‘I’m not going there’ neutral.

2. Wildfelinebeeline
    4:25 pm May 11, 2016 Permalink

Cal being Cal. If you want to come here, be ready. If not, we’re good where we are/thanks for choosing. I noticed he “reassured” the reporters that Lee was staying in the draft. That’s the true message here. “Hey Marques, Lee isn’t coming back! We’ll have room for you!”

And, Duke be yelping puppies!

Go Cats!

3. lechee24
    4:51 pm May 11, 2016 Permalink

“Not to parse Cal’s every word, but that doesn’t sound very confident to me. But, what happens happens, right?”

What doesn’t sound confident? Cal was just delivering a message in saying that he doesn’t care when the kid commits. He’s not going to get up there and say “we’ve got him” If he wants to he will, if he does not, we will still be fine

4. deltasig41
    5:11 pm May 11, 2016 Permalink

I don’t necessarily think it means anything. This might be one of the few times where Cal was asked a question and answered it without an underlying meaning. I think Cal has given his pitch to Bolden, realizes there’s not really much else to say, and is waiting to see. Like the rest of us, I’m sure he’s ready for it to be done so we can move forward, with or without him.

And it is quite possible Bolden is waiting to see what Marcus Lee does. So, the fact Cal said Lee is likely staying in the draft may be the most important statement out of all of them.

5. Luether
    6:43 pm May 11, 2016 Permalink

Thanks for the update Mrs TT. I agree with you that Cal’s words don’t sound very confident about landing Bolden…

6. BigBlueSwagger
    7:22 pm May 11, 2016 Permalink

Cal’s basically saying I’m not gonna beg and I’m not going to let the team beg you to be here. You need to WANT to be here. Maybe Cal’s reading Bolden and knows that psychologically with 18 year olds, they need to want you more than you want them. If we’ve indicated we want him and he knows he’s got a scholarship waiting for him if he wants it, then perhaps not chasing him like Alan Cutler, we’ll have a better chance to land him. Cal epitomizes swagger and swagger NEVER begs!!!

7. trumpetguy
    12:30 pm May 12, 2016 Permalink

If Marcus Lee returning/staying is remotely part of the thought process……perhaps a mid-major is more appropriate then either UK or Duke!