California Chrome allowed to wear nasal strip during Belmont

(Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images)

(Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images)

(Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images)

Good news for horse racing and nasal strip fans everywhere: the New York Racing Association stewards ruled that California Chrome will be allowed to wear a nasal strip during the Belmont on June 7.

Yesterday, the Derby and Preakness winner’s trainer Art Sherman said that California Chrome wouldn’t run if he wasn’t allowed to wear the three inch nasal strip, which is allowed in every racing jurisdiction except for New York. Scott Palmer, the equine medical director for the New York State Gaming Commission, asked the stewards to reconsider their ban on the strips, which they did this morning, reigniting California Chrome’s Triple Crown bid.

Could this finally be the year the Triple Crown drought ends? Please??

37 Comments for California Chrome allowed to wear nasal strip during Belmont

1. catlogic15
    11:14 am May 19, 2014 Permalink

Shouldn’t have been a problem in the first place, knowing full well the New York Racing Commission was not going to create a controversy for a historical pursuit such a this.
    That being said, I’m sick and tired of the connections of California Chrome wining and moaning in public about every little thing. They sound like a bunch of spoiled jackasses.

• jaws2
      11:36 am May 19, 2014 Permalink

Sure, let’s just change the rules for this race. I agree with you that it was a bad rule to begin with, but if that’s the rule stick with it you spineless ‘basturds’. Let’s see if the rule goes back AFTER the race.

I’m sick of these connections and hope the horse loses with his nasal strip falling off in the backstretch.

Then the connections will ask for a do over!

• Yev
      11:42 am May 19, 2014 Permalink

The reason that the NYRC has banned them, is that there is no way to regulate them according to them. And as such, to level the playing field for everyone, they have banned them

• jaws2
      11:48 am May 19, 2014 Permalink

That doesn’t hold water. It’s an excuse they can use to collapse under the pressure. The new American way. All you have to do is follow the money, it’s always about the money. So, why didn’t they change the rule before now?

2. Grammar King
    11:15 am May 19, 2014 Permalink

UPDATE: California Chrome has been disqualified from the Belmont Stakes after photos were leaked providing irrefutable evidence of hat-eating, a long-banned practice in horse racing.

• Bomb 'o' Matic
      11:35 am May 19, 2014 Permalink

Fail.

• Don Rickles
      12:06 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

****crickets****

• Grammar King
      12:14 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

And where is your attempt at humor?

3. Shady meat packer
    11:22 am May 19, 2014 Permalink

Know what we call thoroughbreds? Fast food.

4. turkeywildturkey
    11:35 am May 19, 2014 Permalink

I think this is a mistake. Why is the world would they make an exception this year, when they haven’t in the past. I think these DAP people are a disgrace to the racing industry. Who the hell do they think they are? None of these people don’t have a lick of class. They’re getting too big for their britches. None of these people deserve to win the triple crown. Send them back to California.

5. Ridge Runner
    11:36 am May 19, 2014 Permalink

Is it wrong of me do say… No, let the triple crown drought continue? — until a “Kentucky Horse” wins!
    😉

6. Yev
    11:40 am May 19, 2014 Permalink

Can someone please explain to me why the NY stewards are caving this year? In 2012, the same situation occurred with I’ll Have Another trying to wear the nasal strips and capture the Triple Crown at Belmont, and his request was denied. Why are people caving into the this horse and his connections?

• Name *
      12:20 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

if you whine long enough, more times than not you’ll annoy people into submission…

7. TANK
    11:45 am May 19, 2014 Permalink

I hope they lose. Ownership like this does not deserve to win such an honor. After this horse goes to stud we will never hear about them again again. They caught lightning in a bottle and think that they are now racing royalty.

8. Sheltonracing'sexpert
    12:01 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Chrome’s breeding or lack of such will kick in and he
    will falter over the 1 1/2 miles of the Belmomt.

• Yeah
      12:20 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

That Sir Ivor, Vaguely Noble and Ribot on his bottom line speaks sprinter through and through. SMH.

9. D
    12:02 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Why all the haters? Its a cool story. I’m a KY man, through & through, but c’mon, would be great to see a TC winner.

• Don't see why
      12:31 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Why would it be great to see a Triple Crown winner? That does not add anything for me. This horse is not Kentucky bred and these guys are whiny. And I don’t think they will win because I don’t think he can go the distance. The Belmont guys did not need to cave because there was absolutely no way they would pull him from the race. Now at least he will get beat with no excuses.

• D
      12:49 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

I don’t know, maybe because it hasn’t been done in 36 yrs. Hence, it would be a “great” accomplishment. Why are these owners whiny . . . the remark v. Churchill? Lets see, Ronny Turcotte, Wes Welker, Breeders Cup denial . . . the money-first attitude at Churchill is casting a poor light and they’re being called out. I hate seeing the demise of KY racing due to Casinos, but CD creating own PR nightmare.

10. J-Dub421
    12:25 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

So the New York Racing Commission wouldn’t make the exact same exception for Big Brown and I’ll Have Another a few years ago (both horses were in the exact same position having won the first 2 triple crown races), but now they will for California Chrome???? WTF?!?!

• RealCatsFan
      12:42 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

How do you know they filed a request to use the nasal strip? Maybe they just figured it wasn’t that big of a deal to them.

• Yev
      1:05 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

RealCatsFan, I cant speak about Big Brown, but I am positive about I’ll Have Another, because if you google it, there is an official response on records from NYRC Race Stewards at Belmont on the issue wherein they ruled against it.

• C biscuit
      3:03 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

YEV, RealCats is correct if you googled it you would’ve seen that Doug O’Neil did not officially ask for an exception with IHA, he said they did not think it was a big deal, so they never even asked for it.

11. Casper
    12:42 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

This horse is slow, 3 seconds behind the Derby record.
    But if everyone else is slower, could still win.

• Crazy8s
      1:31 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

I’ve heard this argument and wanted to see how California Chrome’s speed really matches up. Although his derby time was one of the slowest winning times in recent years, he still was faster than the winning time of Smarty Jones (and I don’t remember hearing arguments that he was slow). California Chrome’s Preakness time was elite (the fastest since 2007 and a pace that matches up with all but a few legendary horses) besting the times of Triple Crown hopefuls I’ll Have Another, Big Brown, Smarty Jones, Funny Cide, War Emblem, and Charismatic. You are absolutely right, a slower horse can win against slower competition, but when looking at both races (not just one derby and comparing it to a record that hasn’t been touched for over 40 years ago) nothing tells me California Chrome’s speed isn’t on par with the best we’ve seen in this extended Triple Crown drought.

12. RealCatsFan
    12:51 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Come on people! The owners of CC are criticizing the management of Churchill Downs, NOT the commonwealth of Kentucky! And from the sound of things, it is deserved criticism. CD is all about the bottom line. There have been grumblings in the horse industry about CD for quite some time. The people who are running the show now have no ties to the past and couldn’t care less about tradition or hospitality to anyone who is not a wealthy insider of A-list celebrity. People getting on here bellyaching about a non-Kentucky bred horse make the state as a whole sound like a bunch of inbred hilljacks.

Clay pretty much kicks it in the sack with his article:

13. Cousins Fake Tooth
    12:52 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Its New York. What else would you expect? Them and California know much more than every other peon in the other 48 states.

14. Hmmm
    12:57 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

What is this? Belmont sports radio??

15. JDN1016
    1:19 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

I generally don’t “root against” competitors but I am making an exception for these whiney A-holes who own this horse. They pose like they are just simple blue collar folks who are just happy to be here. They criticize and belittle the “Blue Blood” horse people who have spent their lives in the industry and imply they are above their arrogance. Their blast in the media for the lack of hospitality shown by the employees of Churchill Downs shows their true colors. Now they threaten to “take their ball and go home” if the standing rules aren’t changed to suit their horse. I wish their horse a safe trip and good health but can’t stand to see them win another race.

16. UKBlue
    1:28 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

The wife of the loud mouth owner bought her Preakness dress at a Cracker Barrel in Louisville, these are the kind of people we are dealing with & representing the horse industry on TV. Hope this horse gets left in the gate.

17. George
    1:28 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Put an * on it if Chrome wins!

18. Seriously
    1:55 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

I’ve been against these clowns ever since they bragged that their horse would kick KY thoroughbred a$$. Hate that attitude. Hope he gets beaten so they can fade back into obscurity.

19. I don't get it
    2:33 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Are these horses really good at ploughing or something? Can they pack a lot of provisions compared to other horses? Are they good about not being spooked by snakes and such? Can they handle long cattle drives with few watering holes? What exactly are they good for?

20. brian
    3:02 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

I predict Tyler you will see the first triple crown in your lifetime barring an injury before the Belmont…

21. Gimel Martinez's Mustache
    4:14 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

This is a Triple Crown year, mark my words. The racing industry needs it, and they’ll take whatever horse with whatever means they can to do it.

22. Mike
    4:27 pm May 19, 2014 Permalink

Just wanted to say I agree with JDN1016 above. Only exception is I will be able to stand it if the horse wins. I just will be a lot happier If he finishes somewhere well out of the money. Churchill may very well be all about the bottom line but it is in my state and you got derogatory comments about it after they’ve given you a check that would make my salary look like pocket change….well go screw yourself. Just my humble opinion. Yeah it’s all about state pride. KENTUCKY Derby, by God!

• Agree