Cal is chasing Cal for Swanigan

Many believed it was a two-school fight between California and Purdue for Caleb Swanigan, but Kentucky is squarely in the mix, according to several reports.

Last night, CBSSports.com’s Jon Rothstein tweeted, “Kentucky has emerged as a legitimate landing spot for 2015 big man Caleb Swanigan.”  Rothstein called UK a “real threat” to the other schools.

It sounds like Swanigan would prefer to join Ivan Rabb and Jaylen Brown at California, but Cuonzo Martin doesn’t have room on the roster for him as of now. While Swanigan waits for Martin to figure it out, UK is putting up a fight to land the five-star big man. Purdue is also contender for its proximity to Swanigan’s hometown in Indiana.

While the rumors of his high demands at Michigan State paint Swanigan as prima donna, he would make an excellent addition to next year’s roster at a position that needs his size.

Hell, I’ll cook for him and he can stay in my guest bedroom.

Article written by Drew Franklin

10 Comments for Cal is chasing Cal for Swanigan

1. TJY
    11:02 am May 15, 2015 Permalink

If he really demanded those things at MSU and didn’t go because of that, I would rather not have him.

I do trust Cal on character assessment, and if the MSU stuff is true, I think he would pass on him.

2. SADmaninKy
    11:13 am May 15, 2015 Permalink

Drew,

You should have left out that last line; the NCAA might be breathing down your neck on that one!
    p.s. How much cash would he find in that guest room?

3. symphonist41169
    11:42 am May 15, 2015 Permalink

Cal & Izzo seem to have a pretty good personal & professional relationship so I think it’s safe to assume if the rumors were true Izzo would have told Cal in no uncertain terms to steer clear of Swanigan.

4. jrdh13
    11:42 am May 15, 2015 Permalink

Yes not sure on how good the kid is but if he’s good hed be perfect for us next year as cal always tries to pair his shot blocker with a guy with a bigger body. This would also slide ap to the 3 which would give us a lineup as big as last years

5. mgilkey13
    11:43 am May 15, 2015 Permalink

It only takes one bad apple to ruin the bunch. If we’ve learned anything with the youth and talent we’ve seen come through the last several years, it’s that team chemistry is key and that we want kids that buy in to the team approach and playing for each other. Even if the MSU staff is a rumor, there must be at least some merit to this kid’s ego. Does that mean I don’t want him? Not necessarily. Cal is a true sales guy, and part of that is coaching the behavior of these kids and selling the approach. A lot of these other kids had just as much ego so let’s hope and trust Cal and his staff can calm this kid down if he makes what should be an obvious decision to choose UK over Cal and/or Purdue. But if they think he’s a lost cause from an “I” vs. a “TEAM” attitude, then yeah – best of luck to him elsewhere. PS – I still like our team next year and I can’t wait until October. Go Cats!

6. BigO
    11:58 am May 15, 2015 Permalink

Whether he is a good kid or not (only conjecture on our part) not sure where I see him fitting in. IF he were to come he is a 4/5 and we already have Skal, Alex and Lee there. We don’t need a 4th player there that will push Alex to the 3 for many minutes IMO. Brown was the best fit for what UK needed in the spring. Best to use Mathews/Mulder/Willis at that 3 spot than Alex.

7. ClutchCargo
    1:19 pm May 15, 2015 Permalink

I suspect the high maintenance stuff is exaggerated. As for ego, Coach Cal has proven that he is the king of dealing with egos. To recruit almost exclusively the elite players and actually win at a high level, that is an essential skill.

8. gottodoit
    1:42 pm May 15, 2015 Permalink

Based on what little ‘knowledge’ I have of the situation, Swanigan would likely be an unnecessary distraction. We’re already ranked #2 in a pre-season poll. Let’s run with the guys we have.

Just a little coaching here and there and we’ll make it all the way home.

9. lagunner
    5:02 pm May 15, 2015 Permalink

If he comes to UK, I suggest his nickname be “Top Chef.” Karl Malone was the Mailman because he delivers and Caleb Swanigan can be “Top Chef” because he’s going to serve it to you! I see him coming out at Big Blue Madness in his chef’s hat!

10. raymond57
    7:27 pm May 15, 2015 Permalink

From reports per KSR investigative reporter Duquan Cavanah, we got him all locked up! Great news!