Cade Cunningham shoots down recruiting rumors

(Catalina Fragoso-USA TODAY Sports)

(Catalina Fragoso-USA TODAY Sports)

After John Calipari’s visit on Monday, rumors have been flying about Cade Cunningham and Kentucky; this morning, the 2020 five-star guard took to Instagram to shoot them all down, but not before teasing fans with a commitment-like post.

“I’m ready to make my decision, and I’m excited for what the future holds. I will be committing to…” Cunningham wrote before adding a picture of a mural in his hometown of Arlington, Texas. “Arlington, Texas! Forever committed to my city. I will continue to put on for the AGG!!”

“Just check y’all’s sources. [Laughing emoji] I tried to tell y’all about that ‘inside scoop’ y’all are getting. The rumors are false. My circle as tight as the period at the end of this sentence.”

View this post on Instagram

100% committed

A post shared by Cade Cunningham (@cadecunn1ngham) on

The post is a big hit with current and future Cats:

Well played, Cade.

35 Comments for Cade Cunningham shoots down recruiting rumors

1. CrystalBall
    11:04 am October 23, 2019 Permalink

Looks like he is enjoying the attention.

• Bubba Nasty
      12:09 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

Agreed. Too much drama for me.

• jos_ros_
      12:30 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

not sure if serious or not

2. clarks
    11:17 am October 23, 2019 Permalink

And devin askew wasnt committing on that thursday either lol

• mashburnfan1
      11:58 am October 23, 2019 Permalink

That came from Askew who was saying his HS coach was wrong and no date was talked about but we found out it was just a lie from Askew and his coach was telling the truth.

3. a21CATSfan
    11:24 am October 23, 2019 Permalink

This is the worst thing about Kentucky Basketball media. Yes, Jack’s post and podcasts are cool, but not EVERY PLAYER that visits is going to commit. Remember when Kerry Blackshear silently committed? That was Jake Weingarten and some idiot with a made-up UK FaceBook page. Remember when Vernon Carey and Isaiah Stewart showed just the slightest bit of interest, and everybody freaked out? I truly believe y’all are scaring the kids we need away. Yes, Cal has adapted and started evaluating good lower-ranked talent, but he still needs superstars to win. CATS

• StuckinLville
      11:46 am October 23, 2019 Permalink

You think Kentucky media is the only one doing this?

• JerryCat
      11:48 am October 23, 2019 Permalink

In basketball, yes

• StuckinLville
      12:02 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

I highly doubt that. And no kid cares about the media enough to sway their decision.

• catfan058
      11:51 am October 23, 2019 Permalink

And I’m pretty sure Jack Pilgram even said it wasn’t until last week that he even thought UK had a real shot. KSR is good at what they do. Can’t blame them if kids don’t come to UK. That’s just a crazy idea to even think that.

• tdogg40330
      11:57 am October 23, 2019 Permalink

Lower ranked talent? He’s had a top 2 class for 10 straight years. Everything is fine, some years the talent pans out better than others …. i think his track record speaks for itself

4. catfan058
    11:49 am October 23, 2019 Permalink

Hey if we get him great! He is an amazing talent. If we don’t then hey it is what it is. But I don’t care what anyone says. It would be hard to say no to family. And you can’t fault him if he doesn’t say no.

5. UKBaker24
    11:55 am October 23, 2019 Permalink

The most encouraging thing to me isn’t that Cal visited on Monday it’s that Cade and his family were the ones that initiated the visit. There’s a lot of info and “sources” out there but it has been confirmed that Cade’s Dad is the one that asked Cal to visit, that is very encouraging

• mashburnfan1
      12:00 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

Probably wanted to tell Cal that UW beat his bid and he needed to up the bid. Recruiting is dirty, always has been and always will be by ALL involved.

• UKBaker24
      12:05 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

You have a weird beard

• kenny
      12:26 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

Where was that confirmed?

• J-Dub421
      12:19 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

Trashburn stfu. Either produce proof Cal is paying players, or shut your mouth. Just because Kansas, LSU, Louisville and company got busted paying players doesn’t mean that UK is. If there was even a whiff that Cal/UK were paying players, we’d already be on probation.

• ibescootch
      12:26 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

I’ll be honest, I kind of love that mashburn always has the same one-dimensional, skeptical thought process, because it guarantees he’s either an idiot or a troll. And either way, nothing we say will ever change his perspective. It’s kind of nice having something to depend on every day.

• satcheluk
      10:18 am October 24, 2019 Permalink

Incentives drive behavior. Trolls feed of the caustic interactions. If everyone would quit feeding the trolls, eventually they lose interest and go away.

• Cletis75
      12:23 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

Mashburnfan1, how could they beat our bid? Cal offered him the opportunity to compete and win on the largest stage college basketball has to offer!
      Out of curiosity, has it been cold under your bridge the last couple of mornings?

• ukkatzfan
      12:24 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

Well, can’t argue that. Once it has been confirmed. I thought it had only been rumored. but confirmed, can’t argue that. Unless it was just a rumor that was confirmed. I will hang up and listen.

• StuckinLville
      1:28 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

Mashburn is really Kyle Macy. The disdain for Cal because he has the UK job he wants and the fact his career as a coach failed, is unbelievable.

• 4everUKBlue
      4:31 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

mashbum really is the turd in the punch bowl because he’s a piece of sh!t and that’s being kind.

• 4everUKBlue
      4:51 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

I think mashbum hates Cal because his wife is cheating on him with Brad.

6. Han
    12:26 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

They all always shoot down rumors and “sources” even if those end up exactly right. (Remember how Askew wasn’t announcing on a particular day and then like 12 hours later they said he’d announce that day?)

Ultimately, all that matters to me is that Cal and the staff have a better idea of their relationship with Cade than all the experts on forums do. Let Cade have his moment to announce, and I’m cool with it regardless of who he picks as long as he doesn’t lie to our staff or lead them on.

• 206Bones
      6:35 am October 24, 2019 Permalink

You will see, he is leading our staff on.

7. Guitarteacher74
    12:56 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

Hope he still chooses Kentucky

• TonyMontana
      4:13 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

My sources say he will.

• drip or drown 60
      8:12 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

Definitely

• Looother
      12:41 am October 24, 2019 Permalink

My sources still say OK State…

8. UKCatAttack
    2:39 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

The sources are almost always school representatives. Coaching staffs usually have a good feeling which direction a recruit is leaning. That being said 17 and 18 year olds notoriously change their minds. Most average kids always like the school they most recently visited.

9. clarks
    3:35 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

We in good shape either way. He doesnt come we get askew to reclassify, which he may do anyway

10. BigBertha
    5:27 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

I understand weighing your options, HOWEVER, you know where you’re going. OSU will not win a title even with him on the team. Maybe I need to work on my patience.

11. CahillsCrossingNT
    5:53 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

I think he still ends up in Stillwater.

12. mashman 93
    8:12 pm October 23, 2019 Permalink

I hope we get Cade but it’s hard to turn family down so we’ll see. Our team for 2020-2021 will still be damn good with Devin Askew running the team.