(Catalina Fragoso-USA TODAY Sports)

(Catalina Fragoso-USA TODAY Sports)

2020 five-star guard Cade Cunningham could be making a decision in the immediate future.

According to Rivals recruiting analyst Corey Evans, the nation’s No. 2 overall prospect could announce his decision “in the coming days.”

The only issue? If Cunningham does make his commitment that soon, Evans believes it’ll be to Oklahoma State.

“For Cunningham, the word is that his decision could be made in the coming days and, if it is, would be in favor of Oklahoma State,” Evans said. “While there was a lot of talk that he was leaning toward Kentucky last month, I have not budged from my prediction.”

The reasoning? Once again, Cunningham’s brother, Cannen Cunningham, being on staff and the Oklahoma State program being on him the earliest among all finalists.

“The Pokes have a lot going for them, of course, with his brother being on staff and Mike Boynton being the first power conference coach to offer him,” he continued. “Cunningham could potentially visit Stillwater again this weekend. Be on the lookout, because a commitment could be near.”

In terms of the visit Evans mentioned, Cowboy fan site PistolsFiringBlog.com was the first to report Cunningham taking an unofficial visit to Stillwater this weekend, with Oklahoma State beat writer Jacob Unruh also confirming the report this morning.

While a scheduled unofficial visit with a decision on the horizon certainly isn’t the most promising news, one should note that Oklahoma State’s first regular season game is on Wednesday this week, the middle of the school week for Cunningham. Their second game of the season is this Saturday against UMKC, allowing the five-star guard to see his brother coach before Montverde Academy’s basketball season begins on Nov. 19.

2020 five-star guard Bryce Thompson – who is visiting Oklahoma State tomorrow – is set to announce his college decision on Nov. 12, with Kansas seen as the heavy favorite.

Top-100 prospect Rondel Walker, Cunningham’s AAU teammate and friend, is Oklahoma State’s lone commitment for 2020 leading up to the early signing period.

(Rivals.com)

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

31 Comments for Cade Cunningham may decide ‘in the coming days’, Rivals analyst sticking with Oklahoma State

1. VirginiaCat
    11:23 am November 5, 2019 Permalink

I’m not sure that the timing of his visit to Oklahoma State bodes well for us. Jack, any insights?

• BlueGrass
      1:28 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know anything about Evans reputation as a recruiting analyst, but it reads like he’s guessing. He made two points, I think bode well for UK.

1. He likes OK St because of his brother (a given) and “they were the first to offer him”? That’s just dumb. No Top 5 kid is deciding on a school because they were the first to offer.

2. Evans said, “While there was a lot of talk that he was leaning toward Kentucky last month, I have not budged from my prediction.” Sounds like he’s just trying to say “I knew all along, I never budged!” More than he actually has a clue beyond guessing. He’s just doubling down on his already wrong prediction.

His brother already knows where he’s going. It’s not like he’s not part of the process. It’s natural you would support your family by being in town with him for his first game. I don’t read that as anything other than supporting the family regardless of where you sign.

2. UKinIN
    11:26 am November 5, 2019 Permalink

Not that it’s over but when Cunningham didn’t announce when the UK buzz was the loudest I thought he’d end up drifting back to Oklahoma State. First Wiseman now Cunningham. As success as UK basketball is, sometimes it feels like it’s snake bit in recruiting.

• Cokely53
      11:53 am November 5, 2019 Permalink

Yeah Clarke Boston and Askew already. We’re totally snake bit.
      I’m not buying the ok st hype. Still think he’s ours and we will see how “snake bit” we are.

• UKinIN
      12:03 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

“Snake bit” only applied to Wiseman and Cunningham, as I pointed out, but thanks for reading.

• Cokely53
      12:28 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

1 or even 2 recruits doesn’t make you snake bit. Your statement doesn’t make sense. But thanks for playing.

• Looother
      6:32 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

My sources have said and continue to say OK State…

3. BillW
    11:26 am November 5, 2019 Permalink

Is he possibly going to watch his brother coach his first game and tell him in person he’s coming to uk? It’s possible….right?

4. UKinMKY
    11:33 am November 5, 2019 Permalink

“Leaning toward Kentucky last month”. So, a week ago?

5. SuperTroy18
    11:35 am November 5, 2019 Permalink

I wanna believe that he’s just giving them a last look before committing to Cats. I think we’ve had him since Madness. He doesn’t seem to wanna be that big fish in a small pond, just to flame out in the first round of the big dance. He knows UK is where it’s at for a guy with his talent/skill.

6. RoarFor22
    11:46 am November 5, 2019 Permalink

I get wanting to play for your brother but if he goes to OK State it will be the exact same situation Ben Simmons was in. Cade is good enough that no matter where he goes he’ll still be a top 5 pick, however if he truly is about winning and playing with good players you can’t persuade me ever to think that OK State is a better place to do that than at Kentucky. If he goes to OK State, it’ll hurt but at least he didn’t go to duke or Carolina

• SuperTroy18
      12:53 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

I don’t have a brother, but if either of my two older sisters got hired somewhere, I would honest just remove that school from my list entirely. I mean, he can hang out with his brother anytime! How important should that factor really be?!?!

• tncatrn
      1:26 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

I agree. He seems to be pretty level headed and about his business. So any decision where he ends up at OKSt over UK from a professional development and future casting/branding standpoint is just against that mindset to me. So until I hear something different from Evan Daniel’s. I’ll believe UK is still the leader. Otherwise he would have let people get in his head about family and connections. But I dont see that happening

• KYjellyRoll
      6:23 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Yass!!

7. VirginiaCat
    11:46 am November 5, 2019 Permalink

He has probably made up his mind, but if not, tonight’s game could influence his decision.

8. mashman 93
    11:55 am November 5, 2019 Permalink

Now lets see if Evan Daniels changes his pick.

• RealCatsFan
      1:12 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

I’m with you on that. He is the guy I listen to.

• tncatrn
      1:27 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Exactly. I’ll stick with UK until he changes his pick

9. bcs0710
    11:59 am November 5, 2019 Permalink

The visit doesn’t mean much. Odds are his mind is made up and has been for a while. Whether it’s UK or OSU…who knows

10. mrknowitall1981
    12:16 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

I hope he ends up here, but him and his family worked the process by telling everyone to keep recruiting him. Blood runs thicker and he’s a lottery pick no matter where he goes. In reality, Cal might have wasted a lot of time and money recruiting this dude when he could have had Christopher for sure. He’s preached about wanting guys who want to be here and not just stringing the program along, and it very well could have happened in this instance. With that said, Cal thought the reward outweighed the risk with this kid because he is that talented. It still isn’t over and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cal make another visit on the heels of this report. Can he make another push for Christopher or maybe even Green if this falls through?

• StuckinLville
      12:48 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

I think Cal pushed Christopher for a commitment like he did Boston and Fletcher and when he didn’t, Cal said bye. He wasn’t even going to visit until January. For someone who claims he was all about UK, apparently he really wasn’t, or wanted to play games, and Cal isn’t doing that anymore. I just don’t think hiring his brother is enough to get him there, especially since it’s OSU. Louisville hired Marquis Teague’s dad and that didn’t work, same for SMU with Maxey. If Cade really wants to develop into a possible #1 pick and a chance to win a title, he knows where to go. If he’s afraid of hard work and playing with great players, he’ll go to OSU; however, he’s close with Boston, Fletcher, and Clarke so I think at the end of the day he will end up a Cat.

• FlatTopsAndBlockedShots
      5:54 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

@mrknowitall unfortunately both are totally out of the picture in Green and Christopher. I heard a rumor from a fellow EYBL coach that the requested visit to Florida for Cal from Cunningham’s father was to let him know that they appreciate that he stayed true in the recruiting process and recruited him hard but they would be signing with OK St.

@StuckinLville from what I’ve been told, supposedly UK felt that Christopher would commit without even visiting after they offered and push for Green to visit early. When that didn’t happen they had also visited Clarke and got news that he could reclassify, that turned out true and UK said adios because they didn’t want drawn out recruitments as they are looking to lock in recruits fast the next couple of classes as the “one-and-done” rule is projected to be done by the 2022 class.

11. Rod Crandler
    12:46 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Have we ever received a commitment from a recruit (or has anyone else) where a close relative was working at another school? Typically the only reason they hire the relative is to get the recruit in the first place.

• RealCatsFan
      1:13 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

See above. Exhibit A: Marquis Teague.

12. BBNBRIAN
    12:46 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

At least it isn’t Duke or Memphis…

13. BobbyBlue
    1:48 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Maybe it is just my BB paranoia but for a long time, way before Cunningham came along, Corey Evans has seemed to get Wood every time he reports Cal isn’t going to get one of the top recruits, that he covets !

14. Kojohnson
    1:53 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

If this is a Ben Simmons situation he should learn to go to the school with the best opportunity. Yes Ben Simmons was a #1 pick but he is the same player from college he has yet to elevate his game. One thing Kentucky has been the best at is developing our players. Our players either get better here or have the work ethics to get better in the league.

15. Headhurts
    2:15 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Go to KY Cade and 1 year after you play you can pay your brother to stay home eat bon bon’s and watch Mauri Povich reruns.

16. T-Town Cat
    5:34 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

If he was going to play with his brother, why wouldn’t he have already announced that and stopped leaving his brother hanging? As mentioned above, I hope he isn’t just stringing is along for the attention.

17. KYjellyRoll
    6:21 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Looks like family will pressure him into a school where his lone season will have less wins than losses?

18. KYjellyRoll
    6:22 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Courtesy visit. This guy is a CAT!