Bud Dupree Explains Why He Wasn’t a Starter.

bud-pittsburgh

Many people expected Bud Dupree to be one of the starting outside linebackers for the Pittsburgh Steelers as they took the field last night in the Hall of Fame Game. However, we didn’t get to see Bud until the second quarter and instead of being upset about it, Dupree answered in a very Bud Dupree way.

“This is the Steelers. If this was a different team, I would think otherwise,” said Dupree, the 22nd overall pick from Kentucky. “Being the Steelers, this organzition has already been established. We’ve got good players on the team already. Nothing is going to be given to you, I just have to go out there and take it.”

Even if you absolutely loathe the Steelers like this writer does, it’s a heckuva answer by Dupree. While he didn’t seem to really do much last night during the game, Jeremy Fowler of ESPN spoke highly of his ability to chase downfield on second-level running plays. The one thing that was shocking to hear about Dupree was the fact he was exhausted from playing special teams and defense.

While it’s just one preseason game, don’t be surprised to see Dupree starting come the first week of the regular season.

Article written by Bobby Reagan

One time representative of UK at SEC 3v3 basketball championships. Northern Yankee living the Kentucky dream. Follow me @uklefty22

18 Comments for Bud Dupree Explains Why He Wasn’t a Starter.

1. I loathe the Steelers and the Ravens both and they both took the UK players! Oh well, I wish them individual success, just not team success. Maybe one or both of them will play for the Bengals one day and help us win that elusive Super Bowl!

2. NFL Caliber Players
    6:49 pm August 10, 2015 Permalink

“…don’t be surprised to see Dupree starting come the first week of the regular season.”

Starting? After last nights performance?

• DylanG
      6:52 pm August 10, 2015 Permalink

Another UL fan showing they’re a coward. What a surprise. Don’t reproduce. Please god don’t.

• Not in the ballpark
      8:03 pm August 10, 2015 Permalink

Dylan, you retarded or something? How is that guy a UL fan? Everyone knows Dupree sucked last night.

• DylanG
      8:15 pm August 10, 2015 Permalink

No but you using the R word, tells me all I need to know. Go back into your hole.

• Not in the ballpark
      9:19 pm August 10, 2015 Permalink

Well if you’re offended by it, you must be it. I feel sorry you are mentally challenged, perhaps you should be a UL fan, instead.

3. Kelkat
    7:03 pm August 10, 2015 Permalink

Loathe the Steelers? Does that mean you wish your team was as good as the Steelers? LOL Just like there are fan bases out there that are jealous of UK basketball success. There are fans bases that are jealous of the Steelers success.

I am fortunate enough to be both a UK fan and a Steelers fan. I don’t see Bud starting for a while unless there is an injury. Moats is a head of him and a solid player. They will work him in but he will obviously have to show more then he did last night. I think by mid season if he performs the well he will be in a rotation with Moats and the better he plays, the more playing time he will get.

Go Steelers !!!

• Mary
      7:18 pm August 10, 2015 Permalink

Amen Brother or Sister!…Steelers Fans and UK Fans are very similar. Very passionate, dedicated & at times, very opinionated about to their team. I am very fortunate that I am a Huge fan of both…..Go Cats! & Go Steelers!

• CatsFanFrankfort
      8:50 am August 11, 2015 Permalink

Um no. Why take offense at something where it is completely uncalled for? He loathes the Steelers, so obviously he must be jealous? What an absurd line of thinking. He might be a Ravens fan or a Bengals fan, who can acceptably loathe a division rival. I don’t really like the Steelers, and I am a Broncos fan. I don’t have to have a reason, but it certainly isn’t because I am jealous. As a UK fan, I loathe Louisville, Duke, and Tennessee. So obviously I must be jealous of those programs? Jeez, don’t take a post on a UK website about your favorite NFL team so personally.

Just like other idiots on here who attack any sort of different line of thought posted with ‘oh, you must be a Louisville fan’. Which is also ridiculous. (See below)

4. GroundControlToNumber9
    7:15 pm August 10, 2015 Permalink

Let’s be real…

Bud

Shedding those block to get to the outside is why you didn’t start. The pro hold is harder to slip.

Practice it and realize you can’t sit on those guys like that anymore (otherwise you’ll be chasing running backs down the field rather than hitting them upfield for no gain or a loss).

• Absotively
      7:23 pm August 10, 2015 Permalink

Dupree is gonna be a solid pro (barring injury) for a long time. He gets it. But yes, once he adjusts to the speed and “nuances” (i.e. legal holding) of the pro game, he’ll be fine. I think he’ll crack the starting lineup by Week 9.

• DylanG
      8:04 pm August 10, 2015 Permalink

You must of not watched the same game I did. Bud was getting held CONSTANTLY

5. Billy Hill
    8:04 pm August 10, 2015 Permalink

I guess now we know why Bud fell down the draft board.

• DylanG
      8:08 pm August 10, 2015 Permalink

I seriously think there’s this one UL fan who probably weighs 300+ pounds just sitting on a UK site, trolling. I feel sorry for you.

• Teddy Bridgewater
      11:18 pm August 10, 2015 Permalink

Any explanation to why I fell so far….?

• J-Dub421
      11:50 pm August 10, 2015 Permalink

I wasn’t aware the first round was considered falling down the draft board.

6. Steve
    9:35 pm August 10, 2015 Permalink

You loathe the black and Gold. Well this is for you. Here we go Steelers Here we go!!!

7. Mitch
    8:14 am August 11, 2015 Permalink

Longtime Cats and Steeler fan and I love it when one of the great UK players are on the Steelers. Just like Dawson, Dupree has the tools to be a great pro player. In the NFL they always hold, and the refs are not going to give a rookie the call in his first game. Go Steelers and Go Cats!