BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Year 4 UK History…..

Ed Greinke | AP

Ed Greinke | AP

Ed Greinke | AP

The goals are not exactly that hard to figure out for Mark Stoops this year.  It’s 6 wins or bust for the Cats.  Despite the fact the schedule has been significantly stronger than last year (when UK played just ONE ranked team), it’s Year 4 of the Stoops era with no bowls yet.  The last 2 years should have been bowl seasons, especially last year’s collapse.  So this year, no matter how they come, the Cats HAVE to win 6 games if you want the fans to stay on board.  So what has Year 4 meant for UK coaches in the past.  Below is each UK coach since Bear Bryant and what their record was in their 4th year at UK.  Those in bold had their best year up to that point in their 4th year.

Joker Phillips (only coached 3 years)
Rich Brooks: 8-5 (most wins at that point)
Guy Morris (only coached 2 years)
Hal Mumme: 2-9 (worst record at UK)
Bill Curry: 6-6 (most wins at that point)
Jerry Claiborne: 5-6 (2nd worst record at that point)
Fran Curci: 9-3 (most wins at that point)
John Ray: 3-8 (most wins at that point)
Charlie Bradshaw: 6-4 (most wins at that point)
Blanton Collier: 3-7 (worst record at UK)
Bear Bryant: 9-3 (most wins at that point)

So, taking out Joker and Morris, who didn’t last 4 years at UK, 6 of the 9 remaining coaches had their best year up to that point in Year 4 of their tenure.  Mumme was headed out the door because of probation in his 4th year so there were some extraordinary circumstances with that one.  But for a program that has seen plenty of 5 win and below seasons, that’s a pretty good group of 6 wins or more seasons.  If I told you that Mark Stoops had a 66% chance of winning 6 games or more this season, I would hope you would take those odds.

So, it’s 6 wins or bust, right?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

14 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Year 4 UK History…..

1. BackHomeInKY
    8:45 am August 1, 2016 Permalink

Flawed logic. Success or failure during past seasons has no bearing on this year’s results. UK’s personnel, opponent’s personnel, strength of schedule, SEC’s stature are all variables that impacted prior results exclusive of what this team is facing. I wish we were 66% to win six games, but it’s probably less than that.

• Sentient Third Eye
      8:52 am August 1, 2016 Permalink

This is not about predicting outcomes, but simply about establishing a historic benchmark. By that benchmark, it is six wins or bust.

• scorpiocard
      2:36 pm August 1, 2016 Permalink

To suggest that the number of seasons alone that a coach has been at uk (or any school) determines the chance percentage of how many wins they will have in any given season is beyond flawed logic. It’s out right stupid. Sorry BTI…but really???

2. spaghetti
    8:49 am August 1, 2016 Permalink

6 wins or bust? After only 4 years? You’re crazy. Stoops has to be given 6 years minimum to allow his third class to be seniors. Here’s my logic… His first recruiting class was recruited against UK’s terrible history and awful previous 3 years under Joker. So he went into these homes and said “I know we have sucked for years but I’m going to turn this thing around, please come and play for us.” Most HS kids would say not to that. His second recruiting class was still recruited against UK’s terrible history but also Stoops first year win total (2). So he went into these homes and said “I know we have sucked for years but I’m going to turn this thing around. I know we only had 2 wins our first year but Joker’s carryover program influence sucked and I was trying to play some of my freshmen from my first class. Please come and play for us.” Again, most HS kids would say no to that. A few more “yes” than the previous year. Plus Stoops was able to start bringing in JUCO transfers and he started dipping into Ohio talent, which KSR has preached time and time again is great talent. For his third class, I bet he abandoned the “I know we have sucked for years” and led with “we are improving (5 wins in year two) and we’d like for you to be a part of us turning this program around. It’s been going in the wrong direction for years. We have stopped the wrong momentum and are in the turn around phase. Come and be a part of it!” More HS players said yes. We got the big in-state recruits. We started getting recruits that would say no to other more traditionally better schools like Louisville, South Carolina, Miami, etc. We also started getting good transfers. So Stoops’ third class was his first decent one and he needs to have a chance to coach them through their senior year before we jump ship. Each of Stoops’ recruiting classes has been better than the previous one. It’s only a matter of time before that starts showing up on the field. Imagine how competitive his 4th and 5th recruiting classes will be as seniors. Especially as Ohio State and Michigan start stealing recruits from Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, etc. That’s why I think the man deserves 6 years. He’s a great coach for our program. Doesn’t need the spotlight but he takes advantage of it when he gets it. He’s honest and he’s passionate about UK.

• scorpiocard
      2:42 pm August 1, 2016 Permalink

• BluKudzu
      2:50 pm August 1, 2016 Permalink

@ Spaghetti –
      I appreciate your hopes and passion, for Mark Stoops, leading us out of the situation we have been in for years.
      He is going to get 6 years, it will cost too much to buy him out. So, it might not be a bad idea to try and understand the irrational or as you put it “crazy” fan, for expecting a bit more this season.
      Like it or not, the NCAA is loaded with coaches that have turned around similar or worse programs in 3 years or less. It happens.
      One thing I wish people would do, is quit punching the Joker meal ticket for an explanation of Mark Stoops lack of success. The team, and program was extremely over-hyped. The season was filled with turmoil, poor coaching, lack of discipline, poor game management, improperly prepared for games, and poor administation of the program. All with a once in a lifetime, made for success schedule, that would have allowed similar teams to easily get 6 wins.That was not Joker’s fault.
      That team struggled against poor performing teams in and outside the SEC. It had to catch a lucky break to beat EKU. OVC. 3rd year. OVC, do you not get that, or are we too crazy to understand?
      Every team that UK beat last year was either fired or resigned. That should tell you something.
      I think I am worse than any other fan for UK football, I look at it, the other way, than most. I think 6 losses is a bust. It should not happen this year, his fourth.
      This coach makes 5 to 6 times what Joker made at UK. He has had more tools to work with, more money for the program, far better facilities, and zero pressure from the AD, and his record after three years is worse than Joker’s.
      In 6 years, if having a winning season and a meaningless bowl means success to you, then come on over to the “crazy” side, because with the investment made in this guy, I think it irrational to not to expect better.
      I would remain passionate about UK as well, becoming a millionaire and winning only 12 games in three years. I think it easy to understand.

• Heywood Jablomie
      3:02 pm August 1, 2016 Permalink

@scorpiocard – And his post would be the same bullshit as he has posted for years. Nothing but a yawning drawn out manifesto of historical proportions wasting 5 minutes of everyone’s time. Not to mention the skewed (I really mean stupid) facts……er fauxs.

• scorpiocard
      3:17 pm August 1, 2016 Permalink

@BluKudzu

Obviously it is well known that I enjoy coming on here and taking shots at our rivals hapless football program, but I also really enjoy college football, and rivalries aside, can look at things objectively.

People who make excuses for Stoops abysmal performance are either totally ignorant about college football, or in complete irrational denial, or both. Ignoring all the obvious signs, like barely escaping the EKU game with a win in year three, is ridiculous.

All the tell tale signs are there that he is in over his head. You do a great job of pointing out the obvious problems and give away signs of this. Maybe he will shock us this year, but I don’t see it coming. I say 4 wins this season .

3. fauxbobknight
    8:49 am August 1, 2016 Permalink

LOL 66%? you dont believe that do you?

• satcheluk
      2:24 pm August 2, 2016 Permalink

He didn’t say that and you are not the only one who’s commenting without having read the article clearly. He merely indicated that 66%(6/9) of previous coaches had won 6 games and then asked if you would be happy with a 66% chance of 6 wins. He never said Stoops has a 66% chance to win 6 games.

Did you not read the article or do you need remedial training?

4. Patches
    9:06 am August 1, 2016 Permalink

It is always 50/50 either we do or we don’t, just like rain either it does or doesn’t….lol

5. dshwildcats
    7:16 pm August 1, 2016 Permalink

“@scorpiocard — And his post would be the same bullshit as he has posted for years. Nothing but a yawning drawn out manifesto of historical proportions wasting 5 minutes of everyone’s time. Not to mention the skewed (I really mean stupid) facts……er fauxs.”

Simple solution, jambalaya! Don’t read it, birdbrain! I’m sure you’re the typical “casual” Louisville Football fan, who doesn’t like to spend too much time on facts, because you really don’t know that much about Louisville Football. No, you guys are much more about the hyperbole (can anyone say “collision course with the National Championship”??). As for your buddy, Scorp, he actually does know college football really well, but tends to exaggerate, and sometimes fabricates, Louisville’s accomplishments. I used to catch him in those exaggerations and fabrications quite often! Lol!! He’s smart enough to know that the average Louisville fan has very little knowledge about their football program, and wouldn’t dare call him out when stretches the truth! Lol!!

6. dshwildcats
    9:15 pm August 1, 2016 Permalink

“Too much to read here, but I like your line about Louisville being a “traditionally better” program. If dshwildcats sees that line however, he will make a post three times as long as yours explaining why that one statement is so so so wrong! LOL!”

If “traditionally” means since 1985, then yes, Louisville has had more success than Kentucky. Of course, as is the case with many things, there’s more to the story than meets the eye. If I claim that I’m better than you in math because I made an “A” and you made a “C”, does that tell the whole story? Probably not–if we dig deeper and find out that I was taking basic algebra, and you were taking trigonometry. It’s the same as if we are comparing the success of the two football programs over the past 30 years. Yes, Louisville has been successful playing as an Independent, and as a member of C-USA and the Big East for the majority of those years. It has also helped that Louisville’s administration began financially investing in the football program 30 years before Kentucky’s.

But, the argument that I’ve consistently heard from Card fans over the years is that they would’ve fared much better than Kentucky in the SEC over the past two, three, four decades, etc. Of course, the facts (I know your ol’ buddy jambalaya doesn’t like to deal with facts! lol!!) demonstrate that when Louisville has had its opportunities to face SEC opponents, its won only three of those games all time. If you expand that to take into account other big name programs besides the SEC teams that Louisville has played in the past 30-40, things don’t get much better. The Cards’ record vs. the schools like Oklahoma; Penn State; Ohio State; Florida State; Miami; WVU, etc., is nothing to write home about. Yes, you’ve been in two BCS games in the past 10 years; but so has Cincinnati. Heck, UConn even played in a BCS Bowl game.

Apologies to Mr. Hyperbo…..I mean, Heywood! I realize that actual facts aren’t as good as mindless “smack talk” he enjoys! Lol!!

7. dshwildcats
    9:29 pm August 1, 2016 Permalink

Sorry about that “manifesto”, Heywood! Lol!! I guess when you’re also a UNC fan (as I suspect), anything more than about a paragraph is probably difficult for you to follow and comprehend! For a school that committed 20 years of academic fraud centered around fake classes, one of my posts must be the equivalent of reading “War and Peace” for you! Lol!!

Now, back to your insults and smack talk! Heaven forbid that you actually engage in intelligent conversation! And I thought “us Cayats fans were posed to be the stoopid ones!” Lol!!!

Have a good evening, brother!