BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Would a Final Four be Worth It…..If We Lost to UL?

donate-ul

Had an interesting conversation with a UK friend this weekend about the UL game in a few weeks and UK’s recent domination of the Cards.  And let’s be honest, it is shaping up to be a pretty competitive game this year.  Certainly more competitive than most thought before the year.  And if we want to be honest, even though we have won 7 of 8 meetings since Calipari arrived, most of the games have been competitive.  Now, that brings us back to the conversation I was having.  We talked about the nightmare scenario if UL was to win at Rupp today after as much confidence as we had as a fanbase before the year began.  But, my friend brought up something that I feel like many UK fans bring up when talking about the rivalry:

“We’ll always have the Final Four win”

I found this to be an interesting comment, since that was 4 seasons ago now, but I hear that often.  Many UK fans (including myself) consider that win the biggest of the Calipari era, even bigger than the title game over Kansas.  But should it continue to be a rallying cry over Louisville, even if they beat us this year?

Which brings me to the question I have for you, the reader?  Because my friend still focuses on that 2012 win and everything it stood for, I wonder if this scenario came up which of these options you would choose:

-LOSE IN THE ELITE 8 TO A GENERIC TEAM (i.e. Syracuse) OR LOSE IN THE FINAL FOUR TO LOUISVILLE?

Ask Cards fans.  Despite the fact they made a surprise run in 2012 to the Final Four, to then be eliminated by Kentucky had to almost make it not worth it.  As my friend proves, he still goes back to that win as a key source of ridicule against UL fans.  For a fanbase like ours, losing in the Final 4 to Louisville would just be a nuclear meltdown.  It would be 1992-Duke levels of despair.  So would losing a round earlier to a team that isn’t a rival just be better for all involved.  Our fanbase wouldn’t have to go through the turmoil of losing to UL and their fanbase wouldn’t have that to hold over us.

Yes, the Final Four is the ultimate goal each and every season.  But at what expense?  I’m not sure an eternity of bashing from the opposing side is worth adding to the rafters another Final Four banner.

Your thoughts?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

15 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Would a Final Four be Worth It…..If We Lost to UL?

1. Mathlete
    8:06 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

I would be able to tolerate going 1-31 if that 1 win was over Louisville. For me, that 1 loss stings more than the NIT loss to Robert Morris the same year.

2. Smyrna_Cat
    8:16 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

I hate these, “Pick whether you want to eat your booger or your friend’s booger. ”

I would like to go the Final Four and win it all. I would like UL to be on probation and not even make the tourney.

As we all know, a poke in the eye is sometimes just a poke in the eye. It doesn’t mean you will do well with something else you want.

3. Basteballer
    8:17 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

Lose in the 8. The ONLY way it’s acceptable to lose to them is if it’s like 2012 and we lose to them in regular season but win it all in March. Otherwise, lose earlier in the tournament rather than lose to them later.

• MVPerk
      9:34 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

We beat them twice in championship year 2011-2012. Once in reg season, and once in Final Four. They beat us in 2012-2013 reg season and then they went on to win it all.

• Mathlete
      1:07 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Basteballer – You’re confusing Louisville with Indiana. Easy to do, both wear red and are irrelevant unless they’re playing UK.

4. ukjaybrat
    8:17 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

I would rather lose in the Elite 8 than to UL in the Final Four. The ridicule of not being good enough to meet them in the next game would be bad. but the shame of actually losing to them would be worse.

That being said, i would never hope to lose at the time so we don’t have to see them in the next game, because i think we can always beat louisville.

5. Smyrna_Cat
    8:19 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

And why is it that Jonathan Miller’s blogs are set up so no comments are allowed? Do you do that because you think people will say how amazingly silly and egocentric his blurbs are? Seems to me if you think people will say negative comments about Mr. Miller’s rants, you shouldn’t put them on this site … or you should be fair and let people comment.

• ukjaybrat
      8:26 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

because the post is one in which extremely ignorant and racist people could start shit… and that is not only unnecessary, but very hateful. I believe that would like to avoid that at any cost. even if it means some people can’t comment their opinion on the post.

• JoeMoney333
      9:05 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

“And why is it that Jonathan Miller’s blogs are set up so no comments are allowed? ”

Probably because of people like you.

• Catsby80
      9:18 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

The political and religious posts have no business here. I’m a republican and I agree with some of Mr. Miller’s points, but this is a sports blog. If I want to read about politics, I’ll go to a political news site… And before anyone jumps at me and says, “if you don’t like it, don’t read it/scroll past it”, my response is simply, don’t be ridiculous. It’s like a car wreck on the side of the road… Regardless of how much you want to drive by without looking, you simply can’t help yourself but take a peek…

• chadtrill
      9:28 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

I’m not a republican but I agree with it. I also agree with Catsby. If a post has to have it’s comments section locked then it has no business being posted here in the first place.

• ukjaybrat
      9:30 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

i scrolled past it with no problem… js

6. smahurin
    8:54 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

I want UK to be as successful as possible, period. That means making it as far in the tournament as they can. I obviously would love for UK to win the title every year, but its incredibly difficult to win a title in a 6 game single elimination tournament format. So the realistic answer is, I want UK to advance as far as they can, and continue to give themselves the opportunity to win.

So yes, I would rather see UK advance to a final four and lose to a rival than not advance to a final four at all. People might find this odd, but while rivalries are great, they aren’t overly important. I’m singular in focus in that I just want to see UK succeed. I really don’t care what other teams do or don’t do. I don’t even care that much about playing traditional rivals in the non-conference schedule, I just want to see UK play good teams. I enjoy the UK/UL games, but especially since cal and pitino have been there as both teams have generally been very good. Honestly, I’m glad we don’t play IU right now, just because they aren’t very good. I just want to see UK play (and beat good teams) in the non-conference and advance far int he tournament which means they’ll be pitted against good teams. If they happen to slip up from time to time, well that’s the cost of doing business, playing good teams and being successful.

I value the push for success more than the fear of failure. To me if you’d rather UK flame out early than risk the possibility of losing to a rival, thats valuing the fear of failure more… and thats just not the way I’m personally wired.

• 2thepoint
      10:32 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

I agree! It is we the fan that can’t take the loss not the team.

7. TJY
    10:50 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

In my opinion, until UofL beats us in the Championship game, they can never talk trash to us. We beat them on the biggest stage, in the second most important game of the year. The only way you can beat that win is to beat the other team in the Championship game. I don’t care if Louisville wins every game they play EXCEPT when they play us. I don’t want to lose to them ever but losing in December doesn’t mean much compared to losing in March…or April.