BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Why the Hype About Bob McKillop?

I continue to not understand the storylines behind tonight’s game against Davidson.  The matchup favors the Cats in almost all ways.  If they defend the 3-point line well, I don’t see a way Davidson can win this game.  I go into this game quite confident because I think the game rests entirely on if UK shows up.  If they do, they will win no matter how Davidson plays.  And if they don’t show up, then they can lose.  Frankly, if they can’t show up for an NCAA Tournament game, they don’t deserve to get out of the 1st round anyway.

But the storyline that makes even less sense to me is the coaching matchup, which most give the advantage to Bob McKillop.  You don’t have to look very hard to debunk the idea that Bob McKillop is going to coach the socks off John Calipari:

1st ROUND TOURNAMENT RESULTS AT CURRENT SCHOOL
Calipari (7-0 Overall and 3-4 against the spread)

2010: (16) East Tennessee St. (-18.5): WON and COVERED
2011: (13) Princeton (-12.5): WON and NOT COVERED
2012: (16) Western Kentucky (-26.5): WON and NOT COVERED
2014: (9) Kansas State (-6): WON AND COVERED
2015: (16) Hampton (-34): WON and NOT COVERED
2016: (13) Stony Brook (-13.5): WON and COVERED
2017: (15) Northern Kentucky (-20): WON and NOT COVERED

McKillop (1-7 overall and 4-4 against the spread)
1998: (3) Michigan (+15): LOST and NOT COVERED
2002: (4) Ohio State (+13): LOST and COVERED
2006: (2) Ohio State (+10.5): LOST and COVERED
2007: (4) Maryland (+6): LOST and NOT COVERED
2008: (7) Gonzaga (-1): WON and COVERED
2012: (4) Louisville (+6): LOST and NOT COVERED
2013: (3) Marquette (+3): LOST and COVERED
2015: (7) Iowa (+3.5): LOST and NOT COVERED

Bob McKillop teams have been a double-digit seed in each and every one of their eight tournament appearances.  They have made it out of the 1st round just once.  Kentucky has been a single digit seed in each and every of Cal’s 7 tournament appearances.  They have made it out of the 1st round in all 7 years.

If Bob McKillop is such a genius, why can’t he get out of the 1st round?  If John Calipari is such a bum coach, why can he get out of the 1st round every year?

The game tonight matches all of the matchups above.  Why is it suddenly going to be different now?

Answer: it won’t.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

10 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Why the Hype About Bob McKillop?

1. Cals Hoverboard
    10:18 am March 15, 2018 Permalink

The 12-5 matchups are tempting and juicy for picking upsets, we all know the history. Plus, if Kentucky wins, heck they were supposed to, look at all those burger boys on that team, and it won’t hurt their credibility. But if Davidson pulls an upset, wow look at me, I’m a fricken bball genius! Either way, that’s what I’m paid to do, that’s what people want to read. Plus it’s Kentucky. Doesn’t everyone outside of the BBN want to see Calipari go down?

2. FroggyFrog
    10:18 am March 15, 2018 Permalink

I’m actually a little worried about this game and respectfully disagree that its 3 or bust for Davidson. Statistically David has a very good offensive efficiency. Their effective field goal percentage ranks 11th nationally as opposed to us, ranking 143rd. They also prefer a slower pace of play and do a nice job of protecting the basketball. Thus, its likely they’ll play slow, limit mistakes, and shoot the 2 and 3 at a nice rate. My final score is UK by 5, but I do think this will be a good ball game.

• Jazz1124
      12:13 pm March 15, 2018 Permalink

Omg I agree 100%. Thank you for being the voice of reasoning for the Big Blue Nation. Matt Jones has nothing on your analysis

3. plumloopy
    10:21 am March 15, 2018 Permalink

It’s anti-Cal and anti-1-and-done sentiment. Everyone likes the idea of the talented coach that stays at the smaller school out of integrity and loyalty. Doing it the “right way,” not chasing the dollar.

I can’t say I’m comfortable with our system and an early exit this year (which feels as likely as any tournament we’ve been in during the Cal era) is going to increase the grumbling. 1-and-done feels like gaming the system and people don’t like it. The system is the problem, not Cal, but anyway…

4. CoachCat
    10:30 am March 15, 2018 Permalink

As the old saying goes, You live by the 3 you die by the 3. I don’t see this game going their way

5. serdi
    10:33 am March 15, 2018 Permalink

ESPN and other media are like the news networks. They push the story they want to push with the outcome they desire.

They want the great defeat of the mighty Wildcats. They make a big deal about the Virgiinia kid breaking his wrist. They fact that Vando is out…has the national media said a word?

McKillop has done a great job at Davidson and has raised thieir level of play from the Southern Conference to the Atlantic 10 in a few short years.

The media is hopeful.

6. Smyrna_Cat
    10:41 am March 15, 2018 Permalink

I think it means he is a good coach … when he has Curry playing for him. Most of us would be good coaches at that point … “Curry, shot whenever you want!”

7. SoCalCat
    10:51 am March 15, 2018 Permalink

I think you’re just jealous of Tyler on the website, thus ragging on McKillop 🙂 . As other commenters have pointed out, the allure of the NCAA tournament is David felling Goliath and a Davidson win meets that criteria. Also, the fact there will always be Calipari detractors adds to the pile.

I’m not sure which UK team will show up today. The team that feels it shows worth through individualism or teamwork? Cal has indicated he doesn’t know himself. I think Davidson is getting credit that its seniority and being the little guy means they won’t quit no matter the circumstances.

I do think if UK loses today that the one-and-done approach will endure more scrutiny in the off-season then it has in the past. It won’t change Cal’s approach, but the cupboard was bare this year and I don’t see a significant change next year.

8. jaws2
    3:15 pm March 15, 2018 Permalink

Anybody remember Cornell? Great coach, senior players, use the shot clock? How’d that turn out? I have zero fear of losing to Davidson. Our length will destroy them.