It’s not that the game above isn’t mentioned.  It’s just that very few people ever call this their favorite game.  With all of the amazing NCAA Tournament wins over the years, including championships, plus some memorable football wins in there, a regular season win in January doesn’t always come to the front of the mind.  But if you want the absolute epitome of the Rick Pitino-era domination, it occurred in Baton Rouge in 1996.  The first half was truly the most dominating, uncaring, brutally smothering half of basketball that I have ever seen and I doubt has happened in a major college basketball game in the last 25 years (or more).

So what is your “outside the box” game in any sport that always ranks high on your favorites list but is rarely mentioned?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

18 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: What’s Your Favorite UK Win that Never Gets Mentioned?

1. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    8:08 am May 4, 2016 Permalink

I rarely get to go to Rupp so I would say UK vs IU in 2010. I was there, we beat IU by almost 20 points and Liggins played a great game. This isn’t my favorite game, but of ones that don’t get mentioned it was pretty good for me personally.

2. ClutchCargo
    8:15 am May 4, 2016 Permalink

For me, it’s probably the home game against Tennessee in 1987. Down by 7 with :45 remaining, Rex Chapman ends up making a finger roll over Doug Roth on a fast break to send it to OT. Cats ended up winning. I was a freshman at UK that school year and also witnessed our last win over Florida in football.

• Saul T. Nuts
      10:31 am May 4, 2016 Permalink

I was at the Tennessee game and the Florida game too! I’ve been to quite a few games at Rupp, and I don’t think I’ve ever heard Rupp louder than that Tennessee game…my ears were ringing afterward.

3. Sentient Third Eye
    8:23 am May 4, 2016 Permalink

Roger Harden’s buzzer beater at LSU.

4. cvillejay
    8:23 am May 4, 2016 Permalink

For me it has to e 2010 against Tennessee in the SEC tourney. We had lost to a mouthy, cocky, physical UT team at the end of the season. We beat the brakes off of them by around 30, and embarrassed them. I was at the game in Knoxville when they beat us and it was not fun. Cousins had 19 I think.

5. dale-in-orlando
    8:42 am May 4, 2016 Permalink

I was at the Princeton 1st round game in 2011 and that was a heck of a game that seems to get lost in the Calipari era. Knight buzzer beater. This seems to be the forgotten team in the Cal era.

6. jajones4043
    8:45 am May 4, 2016 Permalink

The Derrick Miller/Reggie Hanson squad that took down Shaq and the #1 LSU Tigers, scoring 100 points in the process…One of my first vivid UK memories.

7. coolmode
    9:06 am May 4, 2016 Permalink

I agree that the 1990 LSU game was a big one that never gets discussed. Mainly because Pitino was the coach. However, that was a David and Goliath game.

8. serdi
    9:19 am May 4, 2016 Permalink

Two games in the 1969-70 season and one in the 1965-66 season

UK 84 North Carolina 77. Game was played at the old Charlotte Coliseum. It was the first big test for the program without Mike Casey. Jim Dinwiddie and Terry Mills adequately filled the starting guard positions in support Issel, Pratt, and Larry Steele. Issel and Pratt had lost to North Carolina in their other games while at UK. It was a statement game. Both teams were in the top 10. Beating the Tar Heels in Charlotte was special.

UK121 LSU105. Maravich had 64, Issel had 51. Mike Pratt was the 3rd leading scorer in the game with ONLY 27. The game was in Baton Rouge at the old Parker Ag Center.

1965-66

UK84 Michigan77…Finals of the Mideast Regionals at Iowa City on my 12th Birthday.

Cazzie Russell had 29 for UM. It was thought that Michigan might just be too powerful, big, and strong for the Runts. Only six Wildcats played in the game. Only Tommy Porter played for UK besides regulars of Riley, Dampier, Kron, Conley and Dampier.

9. deltasig41
    10:09 am May 4, 2016 Permalink

@Vandy, 2003…That team was sort of stumbling along, still searching for an identity. Down double digits at the half, they most certainly found it. If my memory serves me right, we held Vanderbilt to 3 fields goals in the second half, and went on to cruise. That team became a defensive juggernaut after that, and went on to finish the SEC slate undefeated.

North Carolina, 2010…When John Wall went end-to-end for a two-handed flush in the midst of a 20-point run, Rupp Arena was about as loud as I’ve ever heard it, and Kentucky basketball was finally back on top of the college basketball world.

@Indiana, 2010…Not a real special win, by any means…It was a poor Indiana team, we were ranked in the top 5, and after a slow start, blew their doors off and cruised to a double-digit win. But, it was my first, and only, trip to Bloomington and seeing Indiana fans mope around after the game was something I’ll never forget.

Kansas, 2015…The sheer dominance that was on display in that Champions Classic game was something to behold. I realize the first half against UCLA a month later was even more impressive, but for me, the first big nationally televised game of the season against a blue-blood program like Kansas was the perfect stage for that type of performance. I think it’s safe to say we all knew after that night we had something special.

10. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    10:17 am May 4, 2016 Permalink

this may not be out of the box, but the obliteration of #1 for the first time ever Florida was a thing of beauty.

11. bigboyshag
    10:19 am May 4, 2016 Permalink

Mine was – second row seats for 1997 versus Tim thomas and the Villanova Wildcats @ Rupp – Ron Mercer just pure trash talked Thomas all day long. Up 20 at the half – Thomas quit and Mercer went EVEN deeper into his Pschye’.

Won it like 93-56 and Mercer had 23 and 11 but also was the MAIN reason that Thomas looked lackadasical and lost the whole day

12. MfromW
    10:25 am May 4, 2016 Permalink

2003 – #1 Florida goes down in Rupp was the most fun I’ve ever had watching a basketball game.

13. sincitycat
    10:55 am May 4, 2016 Permalink

The one game in retrospect I wish we had lost: The 1966 semifinal game versus Duke. It was an intense game and one of my favorites (I never have seen a replay of the game). Duke, like us, was all white and had they won maybe they would have been the school to take the racist heat years after the game.

14. ncaa is in on it
    12:26 pm May 4, 2016 Permalink

SINCITY CAT,,,YOU ARE THE WINNER!

15. ncaa is in on it
    12:41 pm May 4, 2016 Permalink

Oh, and the 1980-81 season when #1 LSU had there band right behind UK’s bench when we played there and then the last SEC game and on national TV at Rupp we put our band behind there bench and stopped their undefeated season. Loudest I’ve ever heard Rupp. I was 11and got tickets for my bday and got interviewed on the news coming out of Rupp. AWESOME!!!

16. Melissa
    1:12 pm May 4, 2016 Permalink

This is one of my all time favorite games and no one talks about it. 1995 SEC Championship Game at the Georgia Dome. We trailed the whole game and won in overtime, beating the reigning national champion Arkansas Razorback team. We had knocked them out of the SEC Tourny in the semi-finals the year before (and they went on to win the NCCA championship). I loved this game and this team.

17. FCFS82
    1:46 pm May 4, 2016 Permalink

The year after KU beat us up in Lawrence. Game was on ESPN, Cats won 88-71. Rupp sounded like a 747 that night. Crowd was out for blood.