BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: What Would Each Possible UK Record Mean?

© Dale Zanine | USATSI

© Dale Zanine | USATSI

Before the season, I put a post up detailing how the fanbase would react/feel with each possible season record, from 0-12 to 12-0.  You can view the full post here.  Now that we are completed with half of this season, I thought it could be a good time to do a little refresher and get a sense of how the fanbase might feel depending on each of the record possibilities.  This does not take into consideration a possible SEC title game and/or bowl berth.

FINISHING RECORD

5-7: A complete collapse by the Cats would bring back memories from 2014 and 2015.  Considering this would include losses to Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Louisville, and MTSU, I would have to think Mark Stoops would be back on the hot seat.  And likely will have lost the fanbase again.

6-6: Sure the Cats would go to a bowl but they’d probably be the only ones as fans would likely have checked out by the time Georgia was beating us.  This would likely just be a win over MTSU left on the schedule.  Stoops would very likely keep his job but the seat would be very, very hot going into 2019.

7-5: The two scenarios above are very, very unlikely.  When you get here is where you could reasonably say their is some realistic chance.  Even saying that, I would say 7-5 is a less than 5% chance of happening.  This would mean wins over MTSU and either 1 SEC win or Louisville.  No matter what the combination would be, fans would have to feel some disappointment if the season finished here.  Would mean Cats lost at least two of Vandy/UT/UL and that would suck.

8-4: I think, right now, this is reasonably the worst case scenario.  Give UK Vandy and MTSU.  Louisville is looking more and more like a lock too.  That means road losses to Mizzou and Tennessee and a home loss to Georgia.  In some ways, that is a very good season.  In other ways, you would still see opportunity lost.  Would be interesting to see the fanbase reaction to an 8-4 finish, which would also lead to a pretty decent bowl.

9-3: Unless one of the two remaining losses is Louisville, this means Cats don’t make SEC title game but finish 5-3 in SEC for the first time since the Carter administration.  The difference in fan reaction between an 8-4 season and a 9-3 season would be the most dramatic, I think.  Even still, a New Year’s Bowl is very possible at 9-3 and this team goes down as the best in UK in over 40 years.

10-2: If the remaining loss is to Georgia, then Cats might not make it to Atlanta but if Georgia is a win, then Cats are going to Atlanta barring some unfortunate things.  This season would go down as maybe the best in UK since the 1950’s and a chance to play Alabama would be wild.  Mark Stoops gets as close to a lifetime deal as he wants.

11-1: Hello Atlanta.  Hell Sugar Bowl.  Hello all the money to Mark Stoops.  Don’t even try Florida State.  He’s Ours.

Thoughts?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

17 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: What Would Each Possible UK Record Mean?

1. va kat
    10:17 am October 18, 2018 Permalink

I think 9-3 is a must now. Anything less than that would seem like a collapse reminiscent of the 2007 season where 6-1 became 7-5. And let’s be honest, last year’s 7-5 season featured huge missed opportunities against Florida and Ole Miss and left the fans somewhat upset. But I think this teams is too good to let that happen again. Go Cats.

2. JaminTheCoach
    10:29 am October 18, 2018 Permalink

I’m more apprehensive of the Missouri game than I am of Georgia at this point. I can see Lock picking on Westry all game. Teams run on Georgia, that’s what we do best. Honest guess 10-2 with a real shot at 11-1.

• Middy
      10:47 am October 18, 2018 Permalink

Lock is only completing around 50% of his throws in SEC play maybe less. Our secondary picked him off a bunch last year. What do you think will happen this year?

• Shively1978
      1:13 pm October 18, 2018 Permalink

Missouri 2 best receivers have been injured they will be back buy then. What worries me is if Lock picks on Lonnie Johnson like he did last year. Got to put Baity on Hall because Johnson cannot keep up with him.

• foamfinger
      11:36 am October 18, 2018 Permalink

They have no run defense. We will keep the ball out of Lock’s hand, and he tends to play pretty poorly against good defenses. That’s the main knock on him from Draft experts.

• BigolBlue
      12:34 pm October 18, 2018 Permalink

Dream world. Everyone please stop with this crazy talk. Jones has all of you hypnotized

3. UKfanman01
    10:48 am October 18, 2018 Permalink

I like how fans are expecting things now when most talked garbage about how they wouldnt win 7 this year. I said 8 going into this year at work and honestly think they CAN win out. The question is will they? The toughest game hands down is UGA and they look beatable.i like my Cats

• foamfinger
      11:39 am October 18, 2018 Permalink

I think it depends on if we can make UGA one dimensional, either by shutting down the pass or run, or by getting a pretty good lead before halftime. Also, it depends on how much Fromm grows between now and then as a passer and if their coaching staff stops managing him as much as they have.

4. RackEmWillie
    10:49 am October 18, 2018 Permalink

I’m going with 9-3, losing a bad performance to Mizzou and a close, classic, exciting game to UGA. Beat Vandy, Tennessee, MTSU and UofL all by comfortable margins.

5. ScoggDog
    11:04 am October 18, 2018 Permalink

I think the Mizz game decides the difference between a really good 9-3 and a great 10-2 season.

And either way … they’ve changed my perception of UK Football. I had this odd, strange feeling about the Vandy game.

Turns out … its called “confidence”. I like it.

• ClutchCargo
      11:09 am October 18, 2018 Permalink

I know, right?? It’s weird to actually expect to win SEC games, but I can get used to this.

6. CATandMONKEY
    11:22 am October 18, 2018 Permalink

9-3; Are you kidding me?

Yes, I think we could do better but. . . Come on. 9-3?

Yes. Will Take it.

7. davis2319
    11:27 am October 18, 2018 Permalink

I’m gonna say 10-2. I can’t decide what loss it will be that gives us two losses on the year. 10-2 just sounds right to me. However, I think UK can win out too so it just depends on how we play against the teams we are supposed to beat.

8. davis2319
    11:30 am October 18, 2018 Permalink

If we go 5-7 that would be an absolute albatross of a finish to the season. Couldn’t imagine that scenario and how the fan base would react

9. jahanc2uky
    1:09 pm October 18, 2018 Permalink

9-3 or 10-2 sounds like a christmas present early from the North Pole. A Chance at Atlanta come the UGA game is the only way this fanbase is fully satisfied at this point, in my opinion. Also, at this point in the season, how is UK not viewed as the 2nd or 3rd vest team in the league?

10. cats646
    3:13 pm October 18, 2018 Permalink

Idk what our record will be. But I am gonna go on record right now and say that if… IF, we make it to Altlanta, we will beat Alabama by 3 touchdowns! Shock the world and ourselves. They ain’t stopping Benny! Go big blue!!

11. SuperTroy18
    3:52 pm October 18, 2018 Permalink

I said 10 wins before the season. People called me delusional. After the Florida game, I thought we could go undefeated. I’m hoping the A&M loss really gets us going strong to the second half of the season. I think this entire season has been a perfect storm. I do think we go into the UGA game as a de facto SEC East Championship Game. If we win it, we go to Atlanta. If we lose, I’m afraid we could have a hangover game the next week in Knoxville. No matter what, I think we beat Mizzou, MTSU and UL. Also gonna win big this week, of course.

UGA and MAYBE UT if we play awful and they play like they did on the Plains.

I think we win out. Just getting a chance at Bama would be a Dream season for Cats. After that, it’s all playing with house money.