BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: What We’ve Seen From Gunnar Hoak So Far

I’m sure everybody has heard the saying that the favorite player for a football fanbase is always the backup quarterback.  Fans are rarely content with the play of their signal caller and always wonder if the guy waiting in the wings could be better.  With Terry Wilson’s recent struggles, it has only intensified some fan’s call for Gunnar Hoak to see some action.  In our case though, we’ve seen Gunnar a little this year.  In the season opener against CMU, Hoak got three series to show his stuff and against Murray State he got two series in the 4th quarter.  Let’s look at those series:

*Hoak completes a nice pass to Bouvier for 19 yards
*Hoak rushed and forced to throw it away
*Hoak completes short pass to Bouvier for 5 yards
*Hoak hands it off
*Hoak nearly throws an interception that would have been Pick 6
*Pass Interference Penalty
*Touchdown Pass to Bouvier
6 plays: 3-5, 48 yards, 1 TD

*Hoak hands it off
*Hoak throws high but completes to Bowden for 2 yards
*Hoak misses open receiver low
3 plays: 1-2, 2 yards

*Hoak hands it off on first 4 plays
*Hoak badly overthrows receiver
*Hoak throws high and defender knocks down pass
6 plays: 0-2, 0 yards

AGAINST MURRAY STATE (2 series)
*Hand-offs: 5
*Passing: 4-5, 77 yards, 1 TD

So all in all, Gunnar Hoak has played 25 official snaps this season in 2 games.  His stats in those 25 snaps:

Hand Offs: 11
Passing: 8-14, 127 yards, 2 TD

Now, of the 14 passes that Hoak threw, you could easily argue that four of the passes were poor and one should have been intercepted.  He has thrown the ball down the field 3-4 times and the rest were short passes.

But I think what is the most unknown is that neither opponent was a quality opponent.  The stats are pretty good and I think we’ve seen enough to know that Hoak MIGHT be able to throw the ball a little.  I am not sold that a 6-1 team should mess around with a quarterback change but I also understand that if Kentucky falls behind 14-0 in a game that Wilson might not be able to bring the Cats back.

Here’s to hoping we don’t actually have to face that situation.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

101 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: What We’ve Seen From Gunnar Hoak So Far

1. cats646
    10:40 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

Combatmedic, please watch these before you talk about how great Gunnar Hoak is. I saw nothing that makes me think he would be a good Quarterback

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:22 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

And this was against Murray St…

• bigbluebanana
      5:06 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Cm likes Hosk for one reason, he’s an eastern Kentucky boy, and he’s white. It’s that simple. If people haven’t noticed the blatantly racist undertones of everything he says, then I don’t know what to tell them. If this were Hoak starting and playing this way, I’d bet my life cm would be defending him to the end. Cm always says negative stuff about Democrats too, he’s the problem with the GOP (of which I am a proud supporter). Some people just hate their life, so they create a fake persona, in this case a war tattered combat vet, and vent all their frustration with how poorly their own life turned out

5:42 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Praying for you ma’am.

10:47 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Annnnnd Banana Rama I am a squared away; highly motivated, dress-right dressed, standing tall and looking good SOLDIER For LIFE…you can call me Sir. My brothers and sisters called me “Doc”. Again, enjoy the freedom you have to openly disrespect me, you’ve earned that right and I am honored to be a part of ensuring you have that basic freedom of speech. It’s my honor and pleasure. I’m not even mad at you sister!

10:41 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

That’s my boy…scored in 55 seconds! We couldn’t get Terry to score in 10 quarters…he’s gonna light the field up Saturday…hopefully TERRY will do all the hand offs and Hoak do all the throwing for a 1-2 Punch on the ground with Benny and through the air with Hoak

10:49 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

FALSE VALOR. Also he scored in fifty five seconds, yes, against central Michigan. Then came out the next two drives and didn’t even come close to hitting one receiver.

11:20 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Wow. Nice comparison three series versus 7 games: THE WHOLE WORLD bets on HOAK based on Performance Stats MORON

11:19 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

And you saw WHAT that makes u think TW IS!!!!

2. Le Docteur
    10:43 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

Would love to see you tools cover Wilson with the level of skepticism you cover Hoak. If you’d just admit you numb nuts led the Overhype Wilson train maybe you’d be able to find the path to credibility. But I’m not holding my breath.

• michaelb
      10:56 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

Pow pow …. yea the Terry break down of this would be waay uglier. I just want Terry to get better fast . At least hoak knows that he has to take a chance & pass in 1on1 s

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:23 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

Oh please docteur, hold your breath.

• Le Docteur
      11:33 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

You. Keep holding Wilson’s Johnson.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:40 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

As a fan I don’t talk bad about our players. What have you done for UK football? Moan, complain…

• Dark Soul
      1:03 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

I was on the Wilson wagon at first but multiple times he could have got the first down and he slid because he plays scared. He is the same way in the pocket. If he gets over that he has the physical tools to be a beast.

11:23 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

The Wilson Wagon has crashed and burned… Lads and Gents!

11:46 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

I’m not saying Hoak is terrible, he’s just not as good as Wilson. Trust me, I know Wilson has played very bad at times but I think he has potential to be great. I just don’t see that with Gunnar. Numb nuts.

• Alleykat16
      11:58 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

If we fall down 14-0 and we put Hoak in the defenses are going to know that we are passing the ball and they will be pinning their ears back and they will be blitzing like crazy. A 2 touchdown deficit is not panick time. What would have worked is they should have been playing Hoak more along with Wilson. But I’m just a fan and the coaches know a lot more than me. Who ever is playing I’m rooting my tail off for UK.

10:47 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Rhiiiight

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:50 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

I agree with you 646, Hoak has had two years to prove himself. Unless these critics have been to all the practices, they don’t see what the coaches see.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      12:07 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

One thing for sure if Hoak is the QB, he will be no threat to run. Like Alleykay, as a fan I will be cheering no matter who is in the game.

12:44 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Right there with you on that. Even if it’s Walker Wood I’m gonna be hoping he plays lights out. If you are a true UK fan you should never, under any circumstance, want a player to play bad just so you can prove a point. I’m lookin at you Combatmedic.

10:48 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Brother we have a lot of “just fans” on here that’s LOST!

11:22 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Oh don’t CHALLENGE the far left, radical TW lovers!

3. UKfanman01
    11:01 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

Wilson is garbage. Potential yes. Starting SEC caliber QB, I think not. When he has a qbr under 20 in 3 of 7 games it kinda tells the truth.
    The woulda coulda shoulda’s didnt happen. IF Wilson nevnevenevnever fumbled and completed more passes he’d be stellar. But he didnt and hes not. Double standards a bit.
    Also I’d start Clark before Wilson. He looked good in his series

11:49 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

I would like to see Clark. But I’m not ready to give up on Wilson yet. I think he will come along. A lot of his incomplete passes have been because of drops.

• Le Docteur
      11:56 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

Total bullshit. Our drop rate is at its lowest in years. But keep making excuses.

10:50 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

6-1 and stats going down every game…what are u waiting for him to do!? It’s okay, sometimes you gotta learn to say: you’re FIRED

• Iamheasyouarehe
      12:04 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Trying to find an excuse for fans like you who act like children.

12:47 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Our drop rate is lower because we haven’t even thrown the ball half as many times as we did last year. Quick, better call medic and get some pointers, your stupidity is showing.

10:50 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

You’re catching on

• damage_control
      3:17 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

6-1 (4-1 in SEC). You shouldacouldawoulda figured this out before typing out such an idiotic comment.

10:48 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Finally

11:24 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Facts

4. RackEmWillie
    11:22 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

Neither QB is even close to a finished product. Before the season, I was firmly on team Hoak. I thought Terry did great athletic things, but I ultimately thought the better pure QB was Hoak. Wilson is pretty much Stephen Johnson 2.0 (not that it’s a bad thing). But Hoak seems to have the better full body mechanics than Wilson, likely due to his dad.

Plainly put, Wilson has gotten it done as a QB in 1 game this season. UK is lucky to be at 6-1 on the strength of their running game and defense. The question becomes, do you think UK’s recent body of work can beat Mizzou and UGA? If you do, keep it the same. If you don’t, advocate for a change. I personally don’t think anything since the Mississippi State game will beat either team, and possibly not Tennessee.

Can Wilson get the job done? Maybe. Maybe not. Can Hoak get the job done? Maybe. Maybe not. Mizzou isn’t exactly a top tier defense, so the opportunity to be successful should be there.

12:48 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Wilson needs to gain a little more heart to be Steven Johnson 2.0. I’m hoping he does.

10:51 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

He has no instinct…so he’ll never be SJ

5. Aar
    11:31 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

This team and Wilson have shown that they rise to the occasion and the level of opponents. They also react well when they’re underdogs. I’m comfortable with Wilson starting against Mizzou and like that coach has publicly taken away a lot of his expectation to play every down – unless he performs. Based on past performances, he’ll rise to the occasion. Hoak will get an opportunity otherwise.

• michaelb
      11:49 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

Yea you’re right they do rise to occasion most times . I like that bout Terry

• Cats N Pats
      3:52 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

My biggest complaint about Wilson is he has looked A LOT slower in the past three games versus the first four. He’s not going full speed which means he isn’t giving 100%. In the A&M game there were at least 2 times he could’ve gotten a first down instead of going down gingerly. I’m starting to think his legs aren’t as reliable as a good arm. We have plenty of legs on this team now we need to incorporate some plays that require a good arm to get it there.

11:25 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

They didn’t think of that before the season began!?

6. michaelb
    11:33 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

This vid shows also how good a receiver d bouvier & others can be when given an opportunity

7. Eazy19035597
    11:55 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

I am the only one who saw hoak outplay wilson in the spring game, wilson breakdown would be way worse

• Nick
      12:18 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

He also out preformed SJ in the spring before that.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      12:43 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

I’m not going to resort to calling Hoak names or anything of that nature, but anyone who believes we would have been better last season with Hoak instead of SJ is delusional.

• Nick
      12:48 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

All I said was he out preformed SJ in the spring game… Which is a true statement.

5:59 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Actually Hoaks stats were better than all QB’s last 2 Spring Games…!

12:49 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Combatmedic saw him play better in the spring game too! Btw, Rose outplayed Snell in the spring game. So your point kinda sucks.

10:54 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Uhhhhh were talking about the PASSING GAME…not handoffs or QB runs…see, we are talking about a DEFICIENCY Zane needs addressed and you are all emotionally involved

11:26 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Go play FORTNITE’ kid and quit bothering us

• Nick
      1:00 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Rose out preformed Benny and guess what, he is actually a pretty good running back… Gunnar could actually be a pretty good QB if given the opportunity, which it sounds like he’g going to get. And yes I agree with you, sometimes the truth does suck. Thanks for pointing that out.

11:26 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Right

• Nick
      1:01 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

he’s*

1:36 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

I was replying to easy, not you nick. I agree with your point.

• damage_control
      3:19 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

I also saw Charles Matthews look like the next big thing in the Blue/White game a few years ago. How is that relevant to anything?

10:54 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Once he started he was a MAN on the court…

• Nick
      3:40 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

And guess what, when Charles Matthews finally got his chance he showed he is actually pretty good. He was in the starting rotation for last year’s national championship game. You brought Matthews up, tell me how that’s relevant to anything. Or maybe it’s just the case that players that look good preseason are actually pretty good when given the chance. Thanks for helping me make my case.

• Nick
      3:44 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

I don’t get it, a player looked good preseason and turned out to actually be good. But how is that relevant to whether or not they are actually any good or not, is that really what your asking?

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      6:43 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

The few names that support your cause still don’t obscure the countless practice/pre-season supermen that went on to be duds for various reasons. Sometimes they can’t adjust to the speed and physicality of a real game. Sometimes the coaches are holding teams back so the competition is way stiffer. And sometimes the player knows the team on the other side of the ball so well after being told by their coordinator how to attack them in game prep that when facing real time decision making he can’t keep up. Maybe Wilson looks like a god in practice, who knows if the coaches have seen Gunnar struggle when actual allowed to be hit(unlike in spring games), one things for sure the play speed of a player changes drastically when going from drills to one in one to practice to spring/invitee games and then full on games. Those guys were the exception not the rule.

• Nick
      7:58 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Again all I was saying is that Gunnar looked like the better QB the last 2 spring games, which is true. I wasn’t the one that brought up the other player’s preseason performances (which I don’t know why anybody did, I feel like that only helped to prove my point not theirs). We’ve seen Gunnar play in 3 preseason games and 3 games this season. He has thrown a TD in 5 of those 6 performances with no interceptions. The only time Gunnar has seen the field as a wildcat and not thrown a TD is when he went into the game for victory formation against Mississippi State. I believe he has only had 4 meaningful offensive positions this year and has thrown a TD in 2 of those 4 positions. Not saying he deserves to be the starter but Terry has been stale since the 2nd half of South Carolina week 5, had two weeks to prepare for Vandy and we are heading into week 9 against Mizzou. If he can’t get out of his slump after 4 weeks maybe someone else deserves a shot and honestly Gunnar hasn’t done anything to receive this much doubt from the fan base.

8. kjd
    12:22 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Mr. Intern, fanbases are dissatisfied with the starting QB when he is under performing. Who wanted Couch or Lorenzen benched? No one.
    Our fanbase is concerned about the remainder of our SEC schedule with the poor play of simple Terry Turnover. So, yeah, the backups are being talked about.
    If Stoops and Co. could recruit a really good QB we wouldn’t be having this discussion. Stoops vision of football is run oriented so is not appealing to top notch QBs.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      12:45 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Maybe you’re new here and haven’t noticed old man but a lot of bandwagon fans are screaming, just not the die hard fans.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      12:47 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Sorry that was meant for Old man below.

10:58 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Oh I guess defining your self and others is a new “mindset” for you or the norm…last time I checked I have been a diehard fan since I was born…

7:17 am October 25, 2018 Permalink

Have you been a dumba$$ since you were born? Or did you learn that over time?

9. Old man
    12:25 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Bottom line – Wilson is a running back who can thrown . Note I said throw not pass… there’s a difference.
    He has not cut the mustard after 7 games. If the defense gives up more than 14 pts we are beat. If one of the basketball players performed like Wilson everyone would be screaming.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      12:48 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

11:28 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

You’re interrupting a grown, old man conversation young man…have manners for your elders

12:52 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

They did scream last basketball season. Remember Hami? Yea he’s playing pretty good in the NBA right now. Wilson has the talent.

10. Old man
    12:32 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Also why would a good high school passing QB commit to UK when the coach Wants a running qb. Same true for a good receiver. What receiver wants to plays for a team who wouldchose to start a player like Wilson. How many passes were thrown sat night and don’t blame wind. Didn’t hurt vandys QB. Look for all the backup QB to leave if this continues.?

• damage_control
      3:22 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Didn’t hurt Vandy’s QB? We’re talking about the same one who scored 7 pts the whole game, right?? Man, you’re so old your brain has evidently quit working properly.

11. Old man
    12:40 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Does anyone know if Wilson leads the nation in turnovers?

12. Old man
    12:42 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

If you are a running qb you’d better not have fumbleitis.

12:53 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

I’m pretty sure “old man” is Combatmedic.

• bigbluebanana
      5:10 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

They’re all the same, poor, self-loathing basement dweller.

• 4everUKblue
      4:47 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

I think you’re right 646, Old man, combat medic, maybe even michaelb all slater.

11:02 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

I am all of them just for YOU 4! Call me what you want, come Saturday DONT Abe jumping on the NEW Starting QB Gunner “the ice-man” Hoak…watch what these lil Band of Turds do trying to jump on the Hoak Wagon

• henderblue
      7:35 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

I think BigolBluedumbass, whoops, I mean BigolBlue might be Slater/Combat as well

11:29 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Yep all of those “moronic” names! I like henderblue2 too so add that one

7:20 am October 25, 2018 Permalink

Says the one who praised Terry after the Florida game when saying one week prior that if we played him you wouldn’t be a fan of UK anymore. I wish you kept your promise.

7:22 am October 25, 2018 Permalink

Also, I’ve said the whole time if Hoak gets in I want him to kick a$$. It’s called being a fan of the team and wanting them all to play good. So gtfoh with the wagon shit. I’m a UK fan. Not a one player fan.

13. KYjellyRoll
    12:50 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Wilson needs this experience, he’s learning but he needs to pull the trigger more than tuck and run. Just needs confidence and a little experience. Could be a huge breakout game for him

14. Blue_Cat75
    12:54 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

8-14, 127 YDS, 2 TD, 0 INT, 0 SACK while getting a fraction of practice time with the starting offense. Imagine what could be done with more practice and chemistry with the starting WRs.

Here’s Wilson’s stats for comparison.
    78-122, 721 YDS, 4 TD, 5 INT, 10 SACK

Danny Clark hasn’t attempted a pass.

• damage_control
      3:10 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Those are only Wilson’s PASSING stats- You need to also include almost 400 yds rushing (averaging 5.1 yds per carry), and 3 rushing TDs. Wilson is still completing 64% of his passes. It’s not time to give up on him yet. Not even close IMO.

11:32 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Stay on point here: we have a passing QB PROBLEM goofball…that’s the issues. The only thing productive from TW is he’s handing off very GOOD and has a few great runs, and we need BIG splays downfield

• 4everUKblue
      4:47 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Agreed, damage.

6:01 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

LOL…WOW that’s alarming. He has more INTs than TD’s!

15. Wildc8ts
    1:07 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Wanna know how badly Wilson’s is as a QB? Check out his last game stats.
    4/6 passing for 15 yards, 24 rushes for 124 yards.

Sound a little off? It should. Those are actually the stats of Matt Roark versus Tennessee in 2011. A career wide receiver who had never taken a snap at QB in his collegiate career.

Wilson passed for three more yards, and rushed for only 91 yards.

The discussion is over.

16. clarks
    1:08 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

i say play em both to mix it up.plus takes the pressure off not having the whole game on his shoulders but when we have the lead in the fourth quarter and we def running wilson needs to be in.

• CATandMONKEY
      3:25 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Play them simultaneously.

17. makeitstop
    8:19 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Someone way smarter – the guys who wrote the algorithm for QB ratings – has already cracked this code. Wilson’s QB rating is 116, next to last in the SEC. Hoak is 180. Not enough snaps to qualify in the ratings but a reasonable way to measure who should start. Of course Benny’s QB rating after one “pass” for a long TD is about 700… but hey, he might be able to keep that pace up! If ur picking starters, stats should matter not potential.

11:36 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

An INTELLIGENT fan finally: STATS reflect consistency and consistency reflects potential as the season moves forward stats increase, not DECREASE