BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: What If We Have Players Kneel During Anthem?

The expansion of players kneeling during the national anthem in protest during the NFL preseason has been a story worth following.  There is certainly a wave of athlete activism since Colin Kaepernick began his silent protest last season and while he has basically been blackballed from the NFL, the league will have to start recognizing that they can’t remove all of the players who now are protesting various social issues while wearing NFL uniforms.  Point being, this is going to be a consistent “issue” during the NFL season and maybe moving forward.

That brings us back to a local spin.  No matter what you actually think of the issues of police relations with African-Americans, Donald Trump, or any other social issue the players have been protesting, we are now in a sports culture where public protesting is a thing.  And college athletes, no matter how much you want to call them “kids” are actually adults and largely African-American.  Point being, if you think the protests are going to be limited to professional athletics, you are being quite naive.  As far as I know, I haven’t heard of any publicly known protests from UK athletes but you have to know there are a bunch of players on the football team (or other teams) who disagree with Trump and his policies, have negative opinions towards police, and are opinionated.

So what will you, as fans, do if any UK players choose to protest before games this year by kneeling/praying during the anthem?  Would it make you angry?  Would you consider not coming to games, dropping support for the program if this allowed?  And should Mark Stoops mandate that it can’t happen?  Does he even have that power?

My thoughts would be two fold.  First, this is America.  You as fans can absolutely hate protests during the national anthem.  And you can respond by not renewing season tickets, not attending games, calling for Stoops to be fired, whatever.  But the players, as Americans, have every right to protest as well.  These protests are the absolute definition of peaceful.  A word is never said, a punch is never thrown.  Just a very simple message.  Personally I agree with the protests and the attention it has brought to some concerning issues in this country, but even if I didn’t I think EVERYBODY should support the players rights to do it, even at the college level.  What would disappoint me the most is if Mark Stoops attempted to bar or ban the players from protesting if they so choose.  Once the anthem is over, it’s game time and the players should get back in gear.

Again, this is not a question of whether you agree with the opinion of the players protesting or not.  The argument is what will your reaction be if a player or players choose to do it.  Would it have any impact on your fanhood for the program, whether football or another sports team?  I haven’t heard of any player say they were going to protest in any way but you have to know it is in the minds of some and I wonder if Stoops has addressed it with his team or not.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

120 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: What If We Have Players Kneel During Anthem?

1. Rise
    9:59 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

I no longer watch professional sports anymore. The excitement level and competitiveness just isn’t what it used to be and they are turning into a political circus. Fact is, most players are only doing it for attention. They could care less about unifying America. That same concept will go for college players as well. It would probably turn me away from watching. I have lost a few friends who have served in the military. I take it to heart when a player refuses to respect our nations colors. Why don’t they just keep the players in the locker room for the anthem? That is how it used to be.

2. east-ky-boy
    10:00 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

There is a time and place for everything. If someone wants to protests for racial problems then that’s understandable. Not only black lives matter, ALL lives matter. Including our law enforcements. That being said, how does disrespecting our nation and flag by not honoring it during our anthem accomplish anything? It’s a slap in the face to our troops that’s fighting for our freedom. Even though we have our issues (who don’t?) we STILL are the greatest country the on the planet and God bless (has and still is) our nation! So I would be very upset! And yes I’m a season ticket holder so if that was to become a normal thing in collegiate sports then I’m staying home

• Peas and Carrots
      1:30 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Say you break your arm and go to the doctor. The doctor tells you he is not going to fix it because it’s not anymore important than the rest of your bones because ALL bones matter. I understand what you’re saying that everyone matters but when we as a country are divided and struggling with racial issues and inequality we need to focus on and fix the broken “bones” first to heal the entire body. That’s at least the way i see it with BLM. Not claiming they are more important just that its still broken and trying to call attention to it to be fixed.

I think taking a knee is some athletes way of calling attention to issues that need to be fixed. In that sense i see it is freedom of expression and in the very essence of what makes us all Americans. I agree that while we certainly have issues we are the greatest nation in the world. That however, doesn’t excuse us from ignoring our broken bones or chastising those who call attention to them in an attempt to make our country even greater and stronger. I don’t have a preference if our athletes stand or kneel during the anthem, but i would like them to do either as a team.

3. secrick
    10:02 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

I will keep what i think to myself because it’s none of your business just like what the players decided to do is none of mine. I will say i love this country.

4. ukjaybrat
    10:09 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

“I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It”

• ukjaybrat
      10:10 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

* in this case, it’s HOW you say what you’re saying

5. LegggoooCats
    10:15 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

ESPN is a sinking ship… why? Because they’ve gotten away from just being a fun sports outlet to dipping their toes into politics, etc… and a majority of the viewing public hate it. The same thing is now happening in professional sports. Kap being blackballed is justified to me because the disrespect to kneel/protest/turn your back on our flag is a spit in the face of each military family out there. Some give the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom, and these athletes involving themselves in such a disgusting “protest” does nothing but further the racial divide in our country, instead of mending fences. If UK players began to take part… I personally would stop watching all games, unless the coach and/or university was to take action against the player/players involved. There is no place for it.

6. binarysolo
    10:31 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Haha BTI trolling BBN again.

That said, not sure how it’s okay to scream “Free Speech!” and argue in favor of allowing white supremacists march with tiki torches because “everyone should be allowed to voice their opinion” but if an athlete quietly kneels during the national anthem it’s not okay.

• LegggoooCats
      10:37 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

No one here is saying white supremacists are okay, so don’t try to get things started for the sake of an argument. That said, as bad as white supremacists are, Black Lives Matter is just as bad. Regardless of how they try to spin what they’re striving for… both are hate groups.

• CatstopWontstop
      10:46 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

“… so don’t try to get things started for the sake of an argument.” followed by an unsolicited “That said, as bad as white supremacists are, Black Lives Matter is just as bad.”

First, you’re wrong. Second, if that’s not soliciting an argument I don’t know what is.

• LegggoooCats
      11:20 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

What am I wrong about?

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:24 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Being anti-free speech is being bigoted against all of humanity.

• CatstopWontstop
      12:27 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

LegggoooCats:

BLM is a mostly peaceful attempt to bring long sought justice to the black community. Many BLM protesters do so while recognizing that not all law enforcement are bad, that not all white people are bad, etc. they simply want equality. A few people in the name of BLM have committed ugly acts (calling for the death of cops, looting, burning businesses) but people like you focus on that small group and not the message as a whole. You cannot help what someone does in the name of an organization created in an attempt for peaceful change.

White supremacists are people who believe that those who do not descend from Angelo-Saxon, European heritage (aka whites) are inferior. There are various levels of disgusting to this (from just saying it, to actively harming those they do not think are white (like Jews, Blacks, Hispanics, etc.). Biggest difference…there is no level of white supremacy that is tolerable…it is all cancer on our society.

• LegggoooCats
      3:15 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

BLM is not and will never be a “mostly peaceful group.” They burn down communities, loot, call for a war on police, etc. If they wanted to be inclusive, then call it All Lives Matter.

1:28 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

“I seen these Christians from some church in Topeka, Kansas protesting at soldiers funerals who were killed in combat. All Christians must be violent and disrespectful, based on the perception I got from them few people.”

• JusSayin
      5:00 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

LegggoooCats causes by their very definition are specific and exclusive. That is the way you funnel resources and attention to what you are trying to change.

“Save the whales” doesn’t mean “The hell with Dolphins” it means save the whales.

And you don’t have to call your group “All Sea Mammals Matter” if you are trying to bring awareness to whale hunting the arctic.

7. BlueFrank
    10:33 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Kneeling accomplishes absolutely nothing except for alienating well over half of sports fans. If you want to speak out, do it! I am all for athletes saying what they believe but kneeling is not the right way to do it. I haven’t watched an NFL game in a couple of years and have no desire to turn it on. I only turn on ESPN to watch UK games and maybe a few other games but NEVER watch any of the commentary shows or Sportscenter. Everyone is living in an echo chamber these days and we don’t need additional political commentary from ESPN.

8. kyrupp8
    10:34 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

I guess the mature thing to do if you didn’t like the protests would be to keep your hand on your heart and eyes on the flag.

• bdmnky81
      11:11 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Naw, its better to tweet and post to facebook how offended you are during the same anthem.

9. blugreg
    10:48 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

I 100% agree that they should every right to voice their opinions, including kneeling for the flag if they so wish! I do think such an act is very disrespectful to our country, its servicemen and accomplishes nothing but attention to the protester. However, that should be done on their own time and in no way should represent the organization/team of which they are a part! Unless that organization/team approves of such action! I believe a team has every right to discipline a player for such a protest done in uniform and while representing a team during a game. A UK player kneeling before a game would be representing the University of Kentucky, the Commonwealth of Kentucky and, therefore, ME! I think Stoops should inform them they are more certainly welcome to express themselves while NOT representing the university but once on the field, in uniform, such an expression will be not be accessible! You have a right to free speech but that doesn’t protect you from the consequences of your actions!!

10. CatstopWontstop
    10:55 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

I honestly hope some of the players participate.

I keep hearing/reading how disrespectful to the military, and their families it is for athletes to protest in this manner, but I feel like there are many who have served in agreement with the protests and how they are conducted. Literally no one is hurt (except maybe butt-hurt) by the protests, and the athletes are not attempting to bring disrespect to those who died for our freedom, they just want that freedom to finally, equally apply to all citizens.

America is one of the greatest nations in the world, but if you think we don’t have plenty to improve upon you’re crazy, race relations is still one of the biggest festering wounds to heal.

• Sentient Third Eye
      1:59 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

The thing that most hurts race relations is the sinister hand of government touching every aspect of our lives and poisoning us. It’s trained people of every race to stop acting like human beings and behave like dogs competing over a bone our government masters might toss to us. Having our lives so controlled robs us of our dignity and turns us all into property. That’s the source water from which all hate in this nation flows. Dam it up and it will stop the flow.

• shepkat
      2:32 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Agreed. As a 10 year Vet, it doesn’t bother me one bit. Does not mean that I will ever participate, but I reserve the right too.

11. gokycats33
    10:58 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Kneeling during the National Anthem to protest, should not be allowed. I think it shows disrespect to the men and women who are serving in the military, or those who have served in the military, and doesn’t really accomplish anything. If a coach has doubts or questions about whether a member of the team is going to kneel or protest, then I think they should keep the team in the locker room or in the concourse till after.

• Sentient Third Eye
      1:38 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Perhaps the NFL should bypass the issue entirely by having players only come to the field after the anthem is over?

• shepkat
      2:35 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

I don’t feel disrespected…

12. Reese Davis
    11:00 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

There are much better ways to help those struggling in the black community than kneeling during the anthem. But regardless of this, we live in Kentucky. If our players start kneeling our conservative fan base will quickly stop buying tickets and maybe even stop watching in general.

• CatstopWontstop
      12:20 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Doesn’t that just prove the point being made by the protest in the first place?

13. bailey000
    11:07 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

What does setting for our national anthem actually protest? It’s says u aren’t happy with America. Is there is an NFL player that can’t afford to leave? I wonder if my employer would allow me to come to work in order to make a political statement? Probably not. In fact, I’m pretty sure I would be disciplined for it. If the NFLs revenue was effected enough by this ignorance they would put an end to it. If they were losing money it wouldn’t matter how many players were let go. I really wish college kids would grow up and have an understanding for the world. KSR definitely doesn’t need them bringing this stuff up. No more intern liberalism

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:10 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Sound arguments for this not to happen, but it will probably happen, though, because college kids are idiots. It’s not their fault; it’s simply their age. We were all idiots at that age, and only life experience gained by another decade of living can cure that particular ailment.

1:20 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

#itsalltheliberalsfault

• blackmilk23
      4:56 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

The “If you don’t like something about America you can leave…” rebuttal is exactly what indicates how different people are viewed.

Conservatives complained about America for 8 years under Obama and never once turned to each other and said “Well if we don’t like it we should leave.”

You know why? Because they view themselves as “Real Americans” and everyone else as intruders.

I don’t remember anybody telling the tea party protesters to go to a different country when they were trying to make the change they wanted to see. (nor should they have)

14. bdmnky81
    11:08 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

The same thing will happen here that has happened everywhere else this has taken place. Some people will nod approvingly, some people will ignore it, and some will act like it is the end of the world while not even acknowledging their own hypocracy. Demanding that people stand and salute the flag of this country in whatever pointless display that you personally approve of, violates the very essence this country was founded on. But gawh dog it, you wanna watch some football and not have to think for a few hours right?

• Bobbum Man
      12:38 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

And all the while didn’t even care enough for his “cause” to go vote. In his case, I think he just wanted some attention as he was no longer relevant after his one good season

1:19 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Vote? What does that matter? Hillary had almost 3 million more votes than Trump, cast by the American public, and lost.

Our system is f**ked, and Kap didn’t participate in it.

• LegggoooCats
      3:17 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

There is an Electoral College in place for a reason. Most kids learn about it in elementary school… maybe you should go back to school Billy Madison.

8:44 am August 24, 2017 Permalink

I know what the electoral college is, redneck. Its a stupid system.

15. Sentient Third Eye
    11:08 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Kaepernick’s self-serving grandstanding dropped the NFL 20% in the ratings. NCAA football is Southern-driven anyway thanks to the SEC, ACC and Texas, so the hit would be even bigger.

• macattack
      12:54 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Self serving? If I’m not mistaken, the man lost his job and is still out of a job. That doesn’t seem self serving to me.

And you know just as well as I do that the ratings drop the NFL has suffered has been part of a trend of lowering ratings, and it is literally not possible to attribute that to one player’s actions in the first place.

Cmon man, if you’re going to argue, at least make a halfway attempt at it, not that lazy crap.

• Sentient Third Eye
      1:13 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

It’s pretty well established that Kaepernick’s sudden political change last year occurred after he got a new girlfriend who is one of those SJW ditzes. So his actions mainly show he prefers rewards that are carnal over those that are monetary.

1:43 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

“A SJW ditz”…. well there ya go. Thats the problem behind all of this. ::facepalm::

16. macattack
    11:10 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

I think that it is just fine. My personal thoughts on the kneeling aside, they have every right to do it and if they feel it is furthering a cause they believe in, then go ahead. I do take issue with everyone who says it is disrespectful to those in our military or act as if they hate our country. If I’m not mistaken, when Colin Kaepernick initially started this and sat through the anthem, a member of the military talked to him and said that if he wanted to protest, and still be respectful, that he should kneel. That’s not to mention that the players doing this think that what they are doing will help make this country a better place. They don’t harbor ill will towards America or the military. That is just political rhetoric that people have gotten swept up in. It’s flag worship is what it really is. People get so caught up in being a true, red, white & blue patriot, that they only see the flag and not what it is representing… or that it only represents their particular world view. Reading through some of the comments posted here, some people have really elevated their view on the world.

• Mc12
      11:50 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

If he was kneeling and could articulate with statistical data in a conversation setting with others of differing opinions where both sides can learn something, then great. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like open conversation from all viewpoints is happening. I am not surprised, for example, that the Dolphins did not sign him due to his Pro-Fidel Castro comments. I’m sure that angered a lot of the Miami fans in the Cuban community. I am also against him rocking the cops are pigs socks based on my opinion that using generalizations such as this is dangerous and paints everyone with a broad brush. I was also in the Army, and I feel like him kneeling during the anthem could easily be seen as disrespectful to the flag regardless of what he says especially to those that have seen caskets return home covered in the American Flag. The flag means a lot to a lot of people.

• macattack
      1:04 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Well, firstly, thanks for your service.

I think you made some fair points, especially about Miami. But what about the Ravens? He knew what he was doing, and knew the risk that was involved. I think he believes this to be an important thing and that he is trying to further it by his actions. Agree with him or not, he puts his money where his mouth is. He has donated a bunch to various organizations that will help further his cause.

As far as the flag, again I’ll say that the flag is just a symbol. A piece of cloth. And just because you (the proverbial “you”, not you specifically) are offended by something someone is doing in regards to the flag, doesn’t make the argument any less valid. I really dont like how the military and our soldiers have been made pawns in this. By rolling out the disrespectful to our servicemen argument, it makes it seem like our soldiers are just a bunch of people playing for a team, rather than serving our country. It cheapens the real sacrifices they are making.

• Mc12
      1:16 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Thank you. I don’t necessarily agree with you, but that’s not a bad thing. I would say for Baltimore, and this is just my opinion, but they have a system designed around Joe Flacco that Kaepernick doesn’t really fit in with that style of play. That’s not to say that they couldn’t adapt somewhat to him, but it’s difficult to adapt blocking schemes, route trees, etc. to a scrambling quarterback that has accuracy issues and who had stats that became inflated in late game situations against a prevent defense since his team was down most of the time.

Whether that is the reason or not is beyond me. I suspect most decisions are tied to business choices, $, and whether the distraction is worth it for a back-up.

If I’m not mistaken, didn’t Kap opt out of his contract with SF?

• Mc12
      1:24 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

And additionally, I think he could fit in as a back-up with Seattle especially in that city and based on their system, but reports are that this could cause a divide in the locker room with some personalities that take issue with Wilson and would rather have Kap even though it is blatantly obvious that Wilson is better.

I think if he was better, and fit in better with more teams, he’d have a job. That is just my opinion. Although again, he opted out of his contract. If a team thought that he could be the answer to them winning more games he would be on a team, like Mike Vick. Again, there are a few teams that want to deliberately be bad in my opinion like the Jets that could see this differently.

I think his options are a lot more limited than a lot of people portray.

17. RackEmWillie
    11:10 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

The team isn’t even out for the anthem, anyway.

18. Ben27
    11:13 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

The school and the coaches should set policy for the players actions in advance of the season! I would suspend one game for first offence and kicked off the team for second offense. Then when and if the players choose to do so, they know the price they will pay for their actions. It is up to the university to set policy. If the fans do not like the policy, then the have the right to boycott the games and or the season. There is no excuse for this policy not to be set and made public before the season begins.

• RackEmWillie
      11:34 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Are they legally capable of any action to prevent it? Can you stop a students exercise of free speech regardless of the setting and action?

• KTR2786
      10:59 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

RIP Willie I hope there is a ton of vodka and fried chicken in heaven for you

19. UKfansNKY
    11:14 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

DISRESPECTING the UNITED STATES FLAG and NATIONAL ANTHEM is NO place for a protest, PERIOD!!! If you want to protest do it but leave the US FLAG and ANTHEM out of it!!

I really don’t watch professional sports I’m a College Sports fan and “if” the schools are going to support this kind of protest against the FLAG then I’m out! I’ll burn my season tickets!

Take your frickin protest elsewhere, AND DON’T DISRESPECT THE FLAG and what it stands for!!!

GO CATS!!!

• LegggoooCats
      11:24 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

I agree 1,000%

• RackEmWillie
      11:35 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Protest, but not at the expense of music and cloth. I like it. Those are both sacred to me as well.

• LegggoooCats
      3:19 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

If you don’t understand what our flag truly represents, and think of as just cloth, then YOU are part of the problem.

• Peas and Carrots
      4:03 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

A flag is just cloth. What our flag reprsents is what is important, not the cloth. Our flag represents freedom. If I or you or any other American chose to burn the flag we are still supporting what our flag stands for: freedom of expression and a country that embraces our freedoms. Kneeling during the anthem is in no way disrespectful to our flag or our country.

20. Mc12
    11:28 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

My opinion is that you should never make political statements while representing the organization that employs you to represent their brand.

I would enjoy watching an unbiased open forum between some of these players, conducted with intelligent individuals that have differing views. This conversation should not be one-sided as every one that has been shown is. There should be statistics used to argue each view. There should be members of law enforcement that work in these high crime areas. There should be specific concepts such as, if you pull out high crime inner city areas from the statistics do the numbers have any substance at a macro-level. Why does the media only highlight and escalate cases if a white officer kills a black person, but the coverage is much less or non-existent if the “victim” is white when FBI statistics show that twice as many whites are killed by law enforcement than blacks. I understand the difference in population, but when factoring in high level crime percentages its not lopsided.
    It is clear that with identity politics and the connection between politicians and many media outlets, they control the narrative of what is spoon-fed to us. Why are blacks incarcerated at higher levels and what are solutions to correct these issues? How do we change implicit biases? Why didn’t Obama speak out on the shooting in Milwaukee when the officer was black and rioting followed? Why would he speak out on Ferguson before the facts and before the investigation occurred? What is the agenda?
    I feel like the oversaturation of non-stop complaining and bias has essentially overshadowed legitimate cases of police overreach regardless of the victims skin-color. You can’t martyr every “victim” of a shooting, because there are instances, whether people like it or not, thaare justified. Additionally, it’s disingenuous of BLM to cherry-pick.
    In my opinion, the core issues are based more out of poverty or families without the father present. If people are not happy with their current situations, education and hard-work is the way out. We all have that at our disposal. JOBS! If this isn’t working, join the military and gain some core values and a sense of purpose that will be invaluable to not just yourself, but to your family, and your children. Become a role model to your children by raising them to have character and an understanding that there are no handouts or easy roads to success.

21. crazycatfan65
    11:36 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

According to the Washington post.com article in 2016, there were 783 people killed by police officers. 47% of those were Caucasian, 24% were black and 16% were Latino Police officers killed a total of 43 unarmed people in 2016 with 20 bring Caucasians, 16 black and 6 Latino. Where is all the uproar for all the white injustice? Its also a known fact that in the 1800’s blacks owned almost as many slaves at whites did. Anthony Johnson was a black tobacco farmer who owned 4 white slaves and 1 black slave. He also became the first person to be awarded a slave, John Casor, legally for life in 1865. In1830 there were 3775 free black people who OWNED 12,740 black slaves.A wealthy black plantation owner named William Ellison owned 63 black slaves making him the largest of the 171 black slaveholders in South Carolina in 1860.Hell even American Indians owned slaves, and as many as 3500 up to the start of the 19th century. Where is all the protesting against their own race for slavery?

11:48 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

This might be the dumbest argument I’ve ever read.

Ever.

In the history of the internet.

• KTR2786
      12:04 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

I think the last question is tongue in cheek, but the point he makes is undeniably cogent. Namely, no one protesting this alleged oppression can express any detail or evidence to support their extraordinary claims all the while actual statistics and history refute their own cause. Pointing this out just leads to more claims of “systematic racism” or a “whitewashing” of history. We are in the new age of McCarthyism.

• bailey000
      1:07 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

We live in a place that says the reason that I don’t sympathize with a million dollar football player who shits on the only country that would make him a millionaire for being a football player is because of my white privilege

1:06 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

#whataboutisms

22. Cat House
    11:36 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

I will really miss watching my teams.

23. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    11:49 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

I don’t see the correlation between the anthem and sporting events. It’s not played before work, school or other functions, but it’s mandatory for sporting events?

• Mc12
      12:00 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

I think its a good way to bring pride to our country on a large stage. It’s important for people to feel pride in their country and to have unity. It seems that there is so much polarization within the media that division is likely to occur on an even larger level to the point of tribalism or “no go” zones. Everyone feels like a victim. Some didn’t realize they were victims until a couple of years ago.

I now believe that it should still be played, but prior to the players taking the field, or court depending on the sport.

• the ghost of Bill Hicks
      12:36 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

I don’t know that I consider sporting events a large stage when you take into account the amount of US citizens who don’t watch sports.

24. AirRaid98
    11:52 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

They’d do it once, then their ass would be finding a new school.

25. sardiscat
    11:54 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

If one UK player kneels during the anthem, they better all do it. Having one or a handful of players grandstanding to draw attention to themselves would be a major turnoff.

26. Steady
    11:55 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

27. bailey000
    11:58 am August 23, 2017 Permalink

Macattack it seems as if u are elevating the view of one former service member. Everyone has the right to all freedoms protected by our constitution.But, be aware that when u are in the public eye and your actions affect the bank account of those paying u that there are consequences.

28. KTR2786
    12:00 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

If one of these guys could actually articulate in detail exactly what they are protesting, I don’t think this would be as big of a deal at any level.

1:15 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Explain.

• KTR2786
      4:28 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

That’s precisely what I am asking for, an explanation because all I seem to hear is “MuhSystematicRacism.” And don’t misunderstand my point, I am not complaining about the act of kneeling during the anthem; my problem is with the bullshit reasons, or lack thereof, given for the actual “protest.” Do you have anything to add outside of cheap hashtags?

29. bailey000
    12:01 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

It’s at sporting events because to groups are competing and the anthem is meant to show unity between everyone.

30. luke_emberton
    12:02 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

I’ll never come to another Kentucky game again if they want to protest they can do it some other way they have that right but you don’t get to disrespect my family who has fought overseas and risked their lives so these kids could play football stand up and show some respect

• Peas and Carrots
      2:38 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

My family also has a military history. My dad was in the Vietnam war and my grandpa in WWII. They fought and served their country so that all Americans are free and have the right freely express themselves, whether you agree with them or not. It’s not disrespecting those who served it is honoring what they served for.

31. tubby b smith
    12:50 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

go join them…amerikkka don’t care about blacks they give more attention to a dog then a cop killing a un arm men

• Mc12
      1:06 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

If you can explain why there is 0 coverage if an unarmed white person is killed by a cop vs. the outrage of when it is a black person killed by a cop then I’ll change my views. Or if you can explain why there is less coverage and outrage if a black cop kills an unarmed black person that could help explain things for me. Or if you can explain why there are protests when an ARMED black person is killed by a cop, but not if an unarmed black person is killed by a black cop, that would clear things up for me.

I agree that cops should be held accountable more often, but many times it’s difficult to prove intent and a prosecutor swings for the fences and misses. In some of the cases I was sickened, but not all cases are the same.

I want us to get to a point where everyone is treated equally, and implicit bias is a thing of the past. I believe this comes from accountability from all parties involved.

32. chrisg18
    12:54 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Serious question, not meant to be critical, just very curious – what do these protests actually accomplish?

1:14 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Basically just pisses off old white conservative men…

• AirRaid98
      2:03 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

So you’re saying only old white conservative men care about respecting the Flag/Country? Last years NFL ratings say otherwise.

• AirRaid98
      2:04 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Last years NFL ratings say otherwise.

• AirRaid98
      2:04 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Last years NFL ratings say otherwise

• AirRaid98
      2:05 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Damn internet lol

• Peas and Carrots
      2:31 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

When you have a question in class you raise your hand. The anthem is your class and kneeling is raising your hand. It’s not meant to accomplish anything other than to provide awareness that you and others are questioning some of the things going on politically and socially, specifically regarding racial relations.

33. bailey000
    1:02 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

They makes second string quarterbacks relavent.

34. tubby b smith
    1:03 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

everyone thats mad i bet they dont even stand for the flag at home or turn the tv but get mad at them haha

• bailey000
      1:30 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

The country is racist because no one loves u and u did nothing about it?

35. normalwildcatfan
    1:32 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

The media is ruffling everyone’s feathers up. Colin Kaepernick and the rest of the NFL players are quietly and respectfully kneeling and causing no disruptions. Most of you people are missing the whole point of kneeling. It’s not a protest against troops. It is a protest to encourage equality. The BLM is a movement that encourages equality.

• Sentient Third Eye
      1:35 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

How does chanting “Pigs in a blanket, fry ’em like bacon” promote equality? That’s just hate.

1:45 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

“God hates f*gs” must represent all Christians when the Westboro people say it.

• bailey000
      1:58 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

BLM, white nationalist, and antifa are all equally terrorist organizations

2:37 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

#whataboutisms

• KTR2786
      4:38 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

The BLM lists Assata Shakur as the inspiration for their organization. Just a black supremacist who executed a cop in cold blood, but hey “Muhwhiteprivilege.”

36. BlueGrass
    1:32 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

They don’t accomplish anything except:

1. Gives the news (ESPN and Others) something to whip everyone up about so you’ll tune in and they can sell advertising
    2. Further divides a population of peoples
    3. Stresses out people who can’t see their outrage is being used against them to profit a few corporations and the non-profits who use it for fund raising.
    4. Gives BTI a topic to waste our time with.

37. fairplay
    1:42 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

There is concern about the difficulty in selling season tickets? Let’um kneel and check back.

38. TonyMontana
    2:32 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

I am surprised at how many people are supporting the players who decide to kneel. All of a sudden, I got a little bit more hope and optimism than I had before. It might be hard for you to understand what its like to get pulled over on a regular basis because your black, or remember how your dad couldnt even eat inside certain restaurants or vote or how your great grandaddy was lynched or how his grandparents were slaves and their children were sold just because. And then an unarmed black dude gets shot by a police offer. Its all on video, the cop had no reason to… but he gets off. And this is nothing new and somebody is like, you know black lives matter too, dont they? And then you have idiots saying white lives matter and its like well no duh, that goes without saying, but will we ever have true equality? If I can bring some attention to this just by kneeling for a minute or two, why wouldn’t I? And if you have a problem with it, you probably dont feel their pain.

• KTR2786
      4:35 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

None of the oppression you allude to happened to Colin Kapernick or hardly any other black person alive today and one unarmed black guy getting shot and your claim that they get pulled over is enough to justify the protest? And don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with people protesting; it’s just a retarded protest over a non-issue. But hey, *Bill Clinton voice* “I feel your paaaaiiiinnn.”

39. shepkat
    2:42 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

As a 10 year Army veteran, I’m not offended nor do I feel disrespected at all. I find it odd that we find a need to point athletes out, when every time the NA is played fans are still trying to get beer or find a seat or talking or not removing a hat….

40. JoeMoney333
    2:51 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

I just came here to read the comments honestly. I’m always fascinated by how upset people get over this. It’s literally the perfect kind of protest. It’s quiet, nonviolent, nonintrusive and effective. However, all of a sudden the National Anthem has become the holy grail. Did all these people get mad before when people would wait in line at concession stands, store shops, and restrooms during the anthem? Spoilers: they didn’t.

41. JusSayin
    4:42 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

I just really don’t care. I do happen to think kneeling during the anthem is disrespectful however you got people doing all kinds of things I don’t approve of all the time. It don’t lose sleep over athletes doing things I don’t like otherwise I’d never get any sleep.

42. Rabbi Li
    5:36 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

These kids have a lot of choices to make in life. If they are distracted enough from their future there are many ways to fall off the path.

Respect is a two way street. You give… you might get. You don’t give… you will eventually be blackballed.

Anyone who takes a knee during the National Anthem is symbolically ‘quitting’… the same as football practice. Real men who understand that respect is a two way street learn this lesson very young.

If life is too tough for you in the land where there’s a safety net and a black man can become President then… you take your knee. Also, take the consequences from your community (teammates) who call you out for being a quitter.

• Saint Gabriel's Rims
      7:37 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

“Anyone who takes a knee during the National Anthem is symbolically ‘quitting’…” Pure absurdity. Labeling someone a “quitter” if they dare speak out (non-verbal speech, no less) against problems they see with American society. You (stupidly) confuse strength with weakness. It’s not about “life being too tough.” It’s about the individual athlete being tough enough to take an (unpopular) stand–or in this case, a knee)–to shine a light on what he/she perceives as a societal ill. That takes guts and moral conviction. Muhammad Ali did the same sort of thing, but I suppose you probably think he was weak and a quitter too.

• Rabbi Li
      8:05 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

The absurdity is in you calling taking a knee during an anthem ‘speech.’ It is an action. You don’t want it to be an action and you mislabel it as ‘speech’ because that doesn’t slide under the 1st Amendment.

Let’s entertain your argument. Let’s say the anthem began and someone started verbally interrupting it… with speech. Is that ok? It’s not. And that’s using your argument.

Since it’s not speech… it’s not protected under the Constitution. Just wanted to make sure that is clear.

Now what? If someone is ignorant enough to do this everyone recognizes what it represents. They are thumbing their nose at society. There’s no crime in that. But your boss, coach, family, peers, people around you who might care will see that you decided to thumb your nose. That is to take action to thumb your nose or complain… instead of taking action to be an agent of change to be the change that you want to see in the world.

• Rabbi Li
      8:18 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Saint Gabriel’s Rims said, “You (stupidly) confuse strength with weakness. It’s not about “life being too tough.” It’s about the individual athlete being tough enough to take an (unpopular) stand—or in this case, a knee)—to shine a light on what he/she perceives as a societal ill.”

You take the knee you quit. I’ll explain the ways…

1. If you do this in D1 NCAA Football:
      All the work you did from 8 – 18 to finally get that scholarship and then the work you did on your college team to get that 1st string slot… is in the trash. Coaches have to have rules. Every down is vital. Any mis-step in procedure is handing the opponent another chance at beating you.

Everyone who plays football knows the next play could be your last. They all know. You work that hard to finally get your position on the ladder and you let some jobless fools talk you into forfeiting it… for what? For who?

2. If you do this in D1 NCAA Football:No NFL team will ever look at you. In essence you used your talent to get a free education (depriving someone else from that athletic opportunity).

3. If you want to solve a problem: face it. So if I feel strongly about water pollution I’m not going to disrespect my employer and/or boss and client base and disrespect all of them to get attention to my cause. I’ll research where pollution is happening.. I’ll be strategic in raising awareness that garners goodwill. I certainly won’t play someone else’s chord when it was already proven to be a failed move.

• Rabbi Li
      9:55 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Saint Gabriel’s Rims said, “Muhammad Ali did the same sort of thing, but I suppose you probably think he was weak and a quitter too.”

So Muhammad Ali takes a stand against a war and dodges a draft.

Does anyone remember the 2nd guy? Or 3rd guy?

Floats like a butterfly & stings like a bee… Colin Kapernick is no Muhammad Ali.

• Peas and Carrots
      11:28 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Lol at this guy ^

43. trumpet player
    8:49 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

We are all puppets.
    I’m OK with that.
    The illusion of real freedom is good enough.
    What are we having for dinner?

44. Rabbi Li
    8:52 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Saint Gabriel’s Rims said, “Like others who have posted here, I proudly served in the US Armed Forces (Army and Air Force) and I have no problem with players taking a knee during the anthem. You don’t seem to get it: that is an Exercise of Freedom! You know, that “freedom” that you’re so eager to applaud men and women in uniform for fighting to protect?! I think some self-reflection might do you some good, but I won’t hold my breath.”

I appreciate your service. That was a choice that you made. Yet we all have equal voice. People who were never slave owners, people who were never slaves, and people who see them differently.

If I had no reason to kneel or draw attention away from others in their shared moment of the public honored past-time of mutual respect during the national anthem to (do the long list of things many respectful people do) such as:

1) Remember lost loved ones from recent years
    2) Remember lost loved ones from years long passed
    3) Project love toward the founding fathers and the sacrifices they made to ensure our freedom
    4) Appreciate the hard work & resiliency of your lineage. Stand proud for them as their ambassador. They paid the price for you to be where you are. Show observational awareness & spanning discipline in your discernment here.
    5) Have a moment of share peace with your macro & micro community
    6) Reflect on the ways you’ve serviced the community… or could better service it
    7) Appreciate the parents around you keeping their children focused
    8) Find gratitude in the concessions guy pausing his job to pay his own respects

and many others.

… then to be equitable you’d have to defend my right to do so

I won’t call you stupid but I will ask you… do you feel stupid yet?

• Rabbi Li
      10:40 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

I’d like to see others add what they do or have done mentally during the anthem.

I’d also like to add more to the list:
      9) Be gracious for the invisible goodness in mankind. AKA: You never know who will be there to help you when you might need it and if you’re mentally open it comes from everyone.
      10) Revel in respect in the people who did things for me that will never be revealed. The efforts of people of the past and present that I don’t know, yet they help me and my family. This can go back centuries if you can imagine it. Every person that worked hard at their job that earned their keep… if I am touched by it in some way.

What UK athletes do for me touches me. I hope our program does everything it can to offer them the best chance for success. I’ve been around it for 4 decades and can tell you (as can anyone else watching)… you have it better than anyone else before you.

You can do what you want with it. Enjoy it. Appreciate it. Make the best of it. Or toss it in our face. Guess who we remember? Yea… the Randall Cobb, Danny Trevathan, Stevie Johnson, Tim Couch, Craig Yeast, Jeff Snedegar, & Moe Williams.

We remember football players… for what they do on the field.
      We forget football players for what they do off the field.

Make a patient and wise decision.

• Peas and Carrots
      11:31 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

Rabbi Li smokes mids

• Rabbi Li
      2:38 am August 24, 2017 Permalink

I smoke Peas and Carrots.

8:46 am August 24, 2017 Permalink

Rabbi Li smokes the flesh pipe.

8:48 am August 24, 2017 Permalink

I hope Randall Cobb kneels during a game this season…

45. kjd
    10:17 pm August 23, 2017 Permalink

It is not the proper time for these protests. Do it on your own time.
    If they’re grown up enough to protest, then they should be able to handle being booed.