BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: The Word to Define This Season……

Let me put on my Miss Cleo hat for a second and predict something.  Next year’s UK team is going to have unrealistic fan reaction to its performances because we are going to become so spoiled watching this team dominate this season.  What we are seeing right now might be as unique a season as there has been in UK history.  Wrap your mind around that for a second.  Something we may have never seen in terms of domination.  Now obviously without a title in April it won’t matter in the least.  But I bring up the fans being spoiled because after watching the EKU game on Sunday, a friend of mine made a very interesting comment:

I AM BORED

Now this is a diehard UK fan.  Bleeds blue all the way.  Saw them go into a catatonic state after losing the national championship last year.  So, it was kinda surprising to see that comment from a fan on the heels of a 9-0 start.  But just think about it for a minute.  How do actually feel watching the games?  Does watching 30 and 40 point blowouts all year actually lead to an exciting season, or do the Cats need a close game or two to spice up the fan experience.  Certainly nobody is calling for a loss, but beyond the Texas game, the 2nd half of games this year has been nap time.  The result is never in doubt.  We don’t get to see clutch plays or big shots.  We basically see a 75% effort by both teams to get to finish line.

So is that boring if you are a UK fan?  Or do the blowouts excite you as much as the close games do, assuming the Cats win those close games of course?

Here is where I stand.  The overall experience of watching this team will probably be as enjoyable as any team since 1993 (for me).  But with that said, I don’t think my friend is wrong in saying that there is a boredom factor to this team as well.  They are so methodical in the way they dominate teams that you almost feel bad for the other side.  The games are out of reach after 10 minutes.  Which means you have to sit through another 30 minutes of game action with the result in hand.  As an overall sports fan, not exactly my ideal way to watch a game.  Now certainly you always want your team to win, but sports is entertainment.  It’s not life or death or deciding somebody’s life.  It’s simply a game that we follow closely.  If we are bored by that game, does our entertainment value drop?

What do you think?  Blowout or close game, does simply watching the team play equal excitement for you?  Or does this team actually take a very small amount of enjoyment out of the game by dominating it so much?  Help my friend out.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

33 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: The Word to Define This Season……

1. chris47601
    9:15 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

Blowout every time

• syrin23
      10:20 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

Same here. If we could win every game by 60, I would love every minute of it.

2. catfan74
    9:20 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

Lets pump the brakes just a touch. With the exception of Texas (who gave us a good game) and Kansas (total blow-out), the best team we have played is RPI#86 Providence (playing without 2 of their best players).

Weve played a pretty cupcake schedule so far, and other than about 5 games the rest of the year, our level of competition doesnt get much higher. I hope teams challenge these guys, they need to stay hungry. Blowing out Grand Canyon is boring, not because we win big, but because its Grand Canyon

• bouzoukiman
      10:17 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

But all top teams play their fair share of cupcakes. We can’t play the entire top 10 before the SEC starts.

• dragonlord741
      10:42 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

We did play almost HALF (will play*) of the top 10 this year though…

• catfan74
      2:08 pm December 10, 2014 Permalink

and hopefully the games will be better, not so boring, which was the point of the response. Blowing out Kansas wasnt boring, it was great and exciting. But blowing out the Grand Canyons is boring, thats all Im trying to say.

3. jimlowe7
    9:24 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

Bryan, your friend must be a YOUNG fan (and by that I mean less than 30 yrs old) who is USED TO seeing a lot of single digit wins (AND double digit losses). Pitino’s ’96 team averaged beating teams by 22 pts and Joe Hall’s and Rupp’s teams often won by 30-40 points with only a handful of “close” wins (or losses). As pitiful as everyone thinks the SEC teams are today, their basketball teams used to feature football players as their starters until the mid 1960’s and sometimes their coaches were football assistants who earned an extra couple thousand dollars coaching basketball. I grew up in a home where the complaining from my dad in the other room during a game on the radio made me think UK was losing, when in fact my dad was mad they “only” won by 20 but “should have” won by 40! I’m 63 yrs old and I wish EVERY game was a 20 point win!

4. Bledsoe's Biceps
    9:28 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

This is par for the course (usually) during much of the non-conference schedule. Yeah, this year the beat downs are on a whole other level, but the blow outs are basically the same. Give me this any day vs a repeat of the past two regular seasons. Losing sucks.

5. Mc12
    9:28 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

I get excited watching all of their games. However, I do think the silence in Rupp during these games makes it boring from a crowd energy standpoint. It’s strange hearing shoes squeak on a court, or hearing the ball bounce while watching. I only go to big games there, or weekend games so that I can stand and cheer. For the most part, I go to the neutral site games though.

6. Gap Tooth Danny
    9:31 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

After the other team scores their first point, it’s all downhill… THERE GOES THE SHUTOUT!

7. huck
    9:33 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

When you get bored, just go walk the dog – check your facebook, send 15 messages telling all about how the dog just shit and how it smelled, don’t forget the plastic bag.

I enjoy watching basketball plays, good ones, and if you are doing lots of good plays, and yes it can lead to a blowout – but it only counts with good teams. We got Kansas and who knows about the TX game, the zebras put their mouth on it and never let it go.

The cats are playing basketball on the defensive side but, for the most part, offense sucks – not many bb plays there. I like to watch the plays and keep up with the score. I guess some can be thrilled by just watching the scoreboard count up.

8. CatsfaninFL
    9:42 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

I’ve enjoyed the games because I love great defense and it seems like this team thoroughly enjoys it. So waiting for the next block, steal, etc. keeps me interested.

Plus I like seeing how long we can hold them to single digits in a half…

9. cracka
    9:45 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

i get mad every time we miss a shot or turn the ball over or miss an open guy … every time the other team scores … i get excited every time we do anything well, even hit a free throw … i guess i’m nuts

i drive everybody at work crazy talking about the last game and counting down to the next game

i want us to destroy teams, i wanna win by 100 … say 125 – 25 ish … nothing wrong with blowouts

definitely not bored, ever, by uk basketball

• K-fed-up
      10:01 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

Im like this guy. Not just this season but every season I want Kentucky to complety dominate every team. Hold them to no points while scoring at will. I want a psycologial effect not on the team they are playing but the NEXT team. Like how them Koreans will just walk down the line and shoot 20 people in the head and let the other 20 go. They didnt need to shoot them they made the point. I want everyone in the country to know it is useless playing Kentucky that Kentucky is different than any other team. In years past this was a bit far from the truth, this year pretty accurate.

10. secrick
    9:46 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

BLOWOUT, I enjoy watching close games and buzzer beaters as long as its any one but UK.

11. Dr. Leo Spaceman
    9:50 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

I have never been “bored” watching a UK game. I don’t care if they are winning by 100, I’m still analyzing every possession. And I’m tired of people trying to find stuff to complain about with this team.

• BiggestCatsFanInOhio
      12:19 pm December 10, 2014 Permalink

Love the Username, I wonder how many people will get that it’s not pronounced “space-man”…. certainly not Tracy Jordan

12. deltasig41
    9:51 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

I don’t get bored by the games, even blowouts. But I will say this…The EKU game Sunday was a big different. We were off the heels of one of the most highly-anticipated regular season games we’ll see all year, and even I, as a fan, didn’t have the usually gusto I have prior to games. I knew we’d win. I knew it’d be ugly. And I basically just settled in and watched like I was watching reruns of M.A.S.H.

That particular game was so methodical, it was almost unreal. I texted a friend of mine mid-way through the second half and said, “This is the quietest 26-point lead I’ve ever seen.”

That being said…We still have UNC, UCLA, and UofL before the calendar turns to 2015. And conference play, no matter how bad the league is, is always a battle. The fun hasn’t really kicked up yet, but it’s about to.

13. Jageewar
    9:58 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

Boring wins (which these are not) are always better than exciting losses.

• bouzoukiman
      10:18 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

^^^THIS^^^

The only reason I’m typing more is the message that just told me to say something useful. What is that all about?

14. SoCalCat
    10:00 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

Tell them to hang in there. This team is far from perfect and they’ll get several chances to complain how Cal’s coaching cost the team some wins.

15. TJY
    10:08 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

I don’t even know what to say. I absolutely LOVE watching us destroy teams. Our defense is something to behold and college basketball may not see anything like it again for several years or until the 2 year minimum stay in college is reached. Holding a team to 12, 11, 17 points in a half is beautiful. Seeing the other team drive in and get blocked time and time again is fantastic. Seeing them drive in and throw the ball wildly out is even more amazing to behold. They come in with a “you can’t do that to us attitude” and leave with a “Hands everywhere, I can’t see around all of the hands and giants, please make it stop” mentality.

I would like to see our offense perform better but I think our poor shooting is actually due to platooning. The guys are sharing and they know they are going to take fewer shots, so the need to actually make those shots makes them nervous, in my opinion. I think after a couple of more weeks they will understand/buy in completely and those shots will fall.

Your friend needs to realize that we are truly living in the “Good Old Days” of Kentucky basketball. I graduated from UK in Dec of 95 and I have been attending UK games all over the East Coast since then and I remember what it is like to be an afterthought in the basketball world. Cal has put us in a place to not only be number one on the floor in college basketball but to be talked about in all realms of sports with his revolutionary ideas. Everything out of Cal’s mouth is to get the next great recruit THAT FITS INTO THE SYSTEM.

If you want to support the program that has the most wins and if you want to get to be the program with the most titles, this is the type of team we need. I want the titles, I want the blowouts, I want to set the defensive records, I want the highest scoring bench of all time and I desperately want to have 12 titles but you can’t get to 12 by skipping 9, 10 and 11.

Appreciate what you are watching and don’t pity the other teams because they will never pity us. (I mean how bad did IU look last night?) GO BIG BLUE!

16. bouzoukiman
    10:15 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

Being bored is better than getting rolled by a sorry South Carolina team like we did last year.

17. taylorsvillecat
    10:20 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

I LIKE it. I want to see us play the best we can – if the other team hangs with us, fine, if not, fine, just keep on rockin!

18. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    10:29 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

Have your friend go back and watch the Drunk Billy Clyde teams….plenty of “close games’ there.

19. IAM4UK9
    10:48 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

I enjoy seeing the Kentucky Wildcats basketball team perform with excellence on the court. When that results in annihilation of the opponents, that simply indicates that these Wildcats are good. Not boring.

20. dragonlord741
    10:50 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

What I tend to do when the margin gets too large is to concentrate on all of the off the ball action, to see how we’re doing there (you miss a LOT of that when the score is closer, because you’re typically watching the guy with the ball). There’s some really interesting basketball you can miss when you don’t look everywhere on the court.

21. EdC
    10:51 am December 10, 2014 Permalink

I love blowouts with this team because even in the blowouts they are working and learning and having fun. Calipari pretty clearly uses the blowouts for teaching and trying things. One of the hardest things for any team to do is keep pouring it on when the game is out of reach.

It is easy to get bored if all you are paying attention to is the score. If you watch the subtleties of how they are changing up the offense and defense and trying different things you will see that there is nothing boring about it.

I LOVE seeing these guys not worry about who is in front of them or what the score is. They just work and work and I can’t imagine I won’t enjoy every single second of it. Saying this is boring is kind of like saying Tubbyball was exciting. It wasn’t.

22. ChanceyPantz
    12:26 pm December 10, 2014 Permalink

I love when the Cats destroy teams, but I do have to admit that when they do I become really tempted to change the channel (and I often do). Mostly because my love of basketball has dwindled lately, for a reason I can’t explain. I bleed blue as much as the next guy but I just get bored watching the game when there is a lack of excitement. Last year was probably the least interested I have ever been in basketball, again for no specific reason, but UK’s Tourney run was one of the most exciting things I’ve ever watched because I was always on my toes! So while I think a good blowout every few games is a great thing for the team, close games are definitely better to watch.

23. JVice
    1:38 pm December 10, 2014 Permalink

I think BTI knows that trolling is a art

24. sonnyg333
    1:39 pm December 10, 2014 Permalink

It depends on how big of a mouth the other teams fans have on them. Some teams need a blowout to humble their fans.. Get ready UNC

25. Time Expired
    2:20 pm December 10, 2014 Permalink

Win and win big. Humble anyone who dares to present themselves on the same court as the Cats. Make them remember the humiliation for years and cry. Be like Sherman’s march to the sea just burn and pillage all in our way. Make them hate us because they can never beat us and the jealousy just burns into their souls. Treat other teams as tho they are North Koreans, or Isis, or Al Qeda. Have I made myself clear on this yet? GO BIG BLUE!

26. yargamel
    4:08 pm December 10, 2014 Permalink

Not bored at all. If nothing else, you’ve got a bunch of freshmen to watch grow into dominant players, or you could stress about three point shooting and how much better they’ll be by March.

It does remind me of that John Wooden story where a fan got on his case after UCLA didn’t win the championship game after winning 7 in a row. Fans will always find something to complain about.