It seems lately (meaning over the last 10 years), ethics have become a key word in college athletics. With scum guys running around AAU basketball so much, those questions will never stop. So, I wanted to get a fans perspective of where you draw the ethical line. So, what follows are some situations and I want to know how you think our coach should handle these instances (keep in mind that I am using some hypothetical situations, none of these are actually happening):
- Should a coach punish every player the same when the player has academic troubles? For instance, if Dominique Hawkins got a 1.0 GPA in a semester, and in that same semester, Isaiah Briscoe gets a 1.0, should the same punishment be dealt out?
- Should a coach punish every player the same when the player has legal troubles? For instance, Jules Camara was suspended for one season for a DUI, but would you have punished Anthony Davis the same way?
- Are you OK with your head coach hiring somebody to join his assistant coaching staff for the purpose of getting the commitment from a single player?
- Once a player has finished his eligibility at a school, is it the coaches responsibility to make sure that player graduates?
- Should a coach continue to contact a player after he has verbally committed to another school but not signed a letter of intent?
- If a coach has used all of his open scholarships for one season, but another more highly touted player wants to commit, are you OK with a coach pulling a scholarship from another commitment?
- Should a coach be allowed to speak about other coaches during the recruiting process? For instance, are you OK with other coaches talking about Cal to the NBA rumors or Gillispie’s drinking when talking to high school kids?
- Are you OK with coaches ever speaking negatively about their players after a game? If yes, what is the scenario where a coach can talk in a negative fashion about his players?
- Should coaches be allowed to take endorsements from companies outside of the school parameters, i.e. Coach K with American Express if their players can not take similar endorsements?
You can answer just 1 of these questions or attempt to answer them all. Up to you……