People always reminisce about some of the great games of the past 25 years for Kentucky.  Games like Duke in 1992 and 1998, the Final Four game in 1996 against UMASS, and even losses in classic NCAA games like Michigan State in 2005 or Arizona in 1997.  But there are a couple games that I don’t think get enough mention sometimes for their quality, clutch moments, and key figures becoming legends.  I like to post some of those highlights, or in this case a full game, over the summer just to keep you interested.

One of those games was the 1998 Final Four game against Stanford.  Everybody remembers the Elite 8 against Duke and the national championship against Utah, but the game that was sandwiched in between those could have easily been the game that ended that season.  Stanford played quite well and had the Cats down double figures early before another late UK comeback pushed the Cats into a 3rd straight title game.  Enjoy the entire broadcast of that 1998 classic while on your lunch break or after work:

Article written by Bryan the Intern

7 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Summer Forgotten UK Classic Flashback (1998- Stanford)

1. UKBlue1982
    8:06 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Good call, BTI. Remember it being a close, tense game. Jeff Shepard to the rescue as I recall.

2. symphonist41169
    8:29 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

A great example of UK snatching a victory from the jaws of defeat. Really should’ve lost this game but showed incredible grit and determination.

3. jpbky2
    9:19 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

I had a planes, tranes and automobiles trip to San Antonio arriving minutes before tipoff. Sat down in our seats and bam, UK was down 10-0.

4. runningunnin.454
    9:54 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

I remember it was a 1 point OT win; that team had a knack of raising everybody’s blood pressure.

5. RJH
    11:10 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

I have never seen it until your post. I was living in Santiago, Chile, teaching English to business executives. This was the end of summer and I had spent my meager savings backpacking around the south of the country. With little work as summer was ending, I was broke and had to walk about an hour to a sports bar that was supposed to be showing the game. When it was game time, the bar switched to a soccer game, which everyone else in the place had come to see. So I made the long hike home. But for the Utah game, I made the hike again with enough money for one beer per half. Had some German expat sitting next to me the whole time bragging about how much money he made and how his Gramps was not a bad guy because he had fought in the Wehrmacht instead of the SS during the war. Despite that, the hike home was much happier than the last.

6. Le Docteur
    12:01 pm April 12, 2017 Permalink

Thanks for reminding me how much I hated Billy Packer.

7. silverado
    12:06 pm April 12, 2017 Permalink

For those whose knee-jerk reaction continues to be that Tubby won the ’98 championship with “Pitino’s players,” and only had to roll out the ball to win, take another look at the starting 5 in this game. Obviously we had good players, but these are not the UK immortals who have won championships in the past. Tubby did a great job on the bench all year and deserves the full credit that any championship coach has earned!