BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Screw “Competitive”, UK Needs UL or Georgia Wins

Screen Shot 2015-10-31 at 11.29.10 PM

The heat is officially on for Mark Stoops and his UK football program.  Not the kind of heat that gets you to lose your job, but the kind of heat whether the fanbase is going to continue to stick it out with your team and its progress.  Fans have been totally behind Stoops for 2 1/2 years because the talent has improved and the momentum seemed to be going in the right direction.  That’s even with just a 11-21 record.  But 2 wins over South Carolina, beating Missouri, nearly beating Louisville last year, it seemed that things were going the right way.

The problem is that can’t be where it stays.  Great, you beat some teams that you were supposed to.  Now what’s next?  The time has passed where performances like the last 2 weeks are acceptable.  Year 1 or 2 the fans were willing to look past those, not anymore.  The time is now for UK to breakthrough against “better” teams.  They will get only 1 more chance this year, against Georgia.  Louisville is not a better team this year but has controlled the rivalry, so that will be another key moment.

Up to this point, many will have called the 2 USC wins and Missouri are the marquee moments in his tenure.  The problem is, when you look deeper into the progress of the program, you recognize that things we thought were significant wins have been tarnished a bit once the season comes to a close.  Take a look at the final (or current) records of the 11 teams that Stoops and UK have beaten the last 3 years:

2013
Miami (OH): 0-12
Alabama State: 8-4

2014
UT-Martin: 6-6
Ohio: 6-6
Vanderbilt: 3-9
South Carolina: 7-6 (won bowl)
UL-Monroe: 4-8

2015
UL-Lafayette: 3-4
South Carolina: 3-5
Missouri: 4-4
Eastern Kentucky: 5-3

COMBINED RECORD: 49-67

Only 1-AA Alabama State finished with a winning record in the regular season.  It’s possible none of the 4 wins so far this year will finish with a winning record, and certainly possible when you take out EKU.  South Carolina is the only team that even MADE a bowl game, much less won one.  And when you take out the 3 wins over 1-AA opponents, that combined record drops to 30-54.

The point is Mark Stoops still doesn’t really have that win to hang his hat on.  He has wins that have advanced the program, like winning an SEC game in 2014 and winning on the road in 2015.  But the time for beating crap teams is over for the fans.  Now you have to beat the good teams.  Georgia is slumping but still considered a “good” team.  Louisville is down but still considered a “good” team.  Those 2 games will be crucial for if this fanbase stands by Stoops and Co. into 2016.  Many fans will call for competitive performances from the Cats in those games.  I call bull on that.  The time is NOW to beat one of those 2 teams.  From this fan, get beat in both of those games, especially the way the last 2 weeks have gone, and 2016 becomes a tough sell for me.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

34 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Screw “Competitive”, UK Needs UL or Georgia Wins

1. Caleb Epley
    8:12 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

As a Vanderbilt student and KSR contributor, I am perplexed about my rooting interest. I have decided to forgo game coverage in favor of restaurant recommendations previously handled by Mrs. Tyler

• fatbrat
      8:33 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

Unless there is a 180 against Georgia this week, I think that the chances of us beating Vandy in Nash Vegas is slim to none!

• DidYouSeeWhatHoustonDid?
      9:16 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

Granted we’re not Houston and the Commodores will have the advantage of the well over 1,400 fans in the stands but I still think we’ll beat ’em.

2. Hardin County Cat
    8:14 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

Another dumb post that don’t make no sense

3. CatsBy80
    8:15 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

Adding fuel to the fire, I see… I tend to agree with you; but, I would argue that the heat from the fans is already on the coaching staff. I have said before that I am not advocating a change, but you’re exactly right that we need to win 1 of those 2 games (UL or UGA) plus Charlotte & Vandy. My expectations for this team before the year began were 6-6, but it sure would be nice to be 7-5 or even better… I will still support the Cats, along with Stoops & Co. next year, because I am a fan, but my patience are wearing thin, too. Go cats.

• Wut?
      8:19 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

You agree with him and your patience is wearing thin with a team set to win exactly the number of games you predicted? You may have actually outdone BTI’s lunacy with this post.

• KYCATS13
      8:20 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

I think that Stoops has to absolutely change both the Offensive and Defensive Coordinators after the season. I think Stoops is the guy for this program, but he needs to make some major changes in his staff.

• CatsBy80
      8:25 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

wut? ….

I agree with the post because we have seen competitive games up to 2 weeks ago this season. Every game we had a chance to win, which gave me hope for the season. My expectations before the season were to go 6-6… Those changed after we began 4-1 (just like 90% of the fan base). My patience are beginning to wear thin because we have been absolutely dominated on both sides of the football the last 2 weeks and we have not seen any adjustments by the coaching staff… I believe that entitles me to say that “my patience are wearing thin”… it’s looking more and more like the end of last season all over again… if you cannot see that, then i cannot help you…

• KYCATS13
      8:32 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

wut?

wut? must be a really smart and patient guy. I’m all in on my expectations changing. I could have lived with competitive games the last two weeks, but that didn’t happen.

• Win with grammar
      8:53 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

You may also be antitled to say your patience IS wearing thin. If your patience ARE wearing thin, then you are a successful obesity clinic doctor.

• CatsBy80
      9:02 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

I apologize for my grammatical error, but did you seriously just call me out on my grammar when you cannot even spell “entitled” correctly? pot meet kettle. this is a blog, not an essay. get over yourself.

4. Elmer Skaggs
    8:25 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

Team seems very tired. Stoops needs to replace strength and conditioning coach who is more concered about massive bowel movements than preparing his players for a long season

5. Ashley Judd Is Not My Spirit Animal
    8:35 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see a win against Georgia or Louisville. We are beat up, coaching is suspect, the O Line stinks, and when we play Louisville, we’ll probably be more beat up.

• ukjaybrat
      10:05 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

Louisville game comes off a bye week.. i mean charlotte. that should give us plenty of time to rest up from nagging injuries.

• UKBlue1!
      11:32 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

We rested against EKU and nearly got beat. They better come ready to play against Charlotte and Vandy. Both are the only chances at wins. If we win both of these, ill give us a 35-65 chance at home against Petrino. Petrino has never lost to UK. He is our new Spurrier.

• J-Dub421
      12:48 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Petrino lost to UK when he was at Arkansas.

6. Courtney Hessler
    8:46 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

Forget football, devour pulled pork cheese fries

7. Oline_Schlarman
    9:11 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

Glad no one has brought up the fact in three years my lines still lead the lead in sacks….against us. The 2009 line my Troy team had though was great! We protected the quarterback and running back.

8. RICK
    9:25 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

BTI, Finally you are getting it, give them hell and lets see some results. I agree with you.

9. Howdy Doody
    9:39 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

I see BTI is not drinking the kool aid. Wonder when his boss will stop ? It is BASKETBALL season.
    Nothing else matters. U Football is still UK Football…sigh…

• carvingitup
      9:46 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

Maybe he is drinking some Snoop Dogg Kool Aid?……….

• Ha!
      12:40 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Funny, Doody, I haven’t seen you comment on a basketball post yet….

10. The Rest of the story
    10:18 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

Stoops needs a radical change in this team and I have the answer. Play all four downs and no punts. What can you lose? Punting for 30 yds with a return really means little for this team anyway. The worst that could happen is give up 52 like we did against UT. Like Spock of Star Trek it is only logical.

11. SinceStollField
    10:26 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

I’m still hoping Stoops can get the job done, but we just don’t look like a well-coached team right now. We don’t seem to be improving as the season progresses or from one season to the next. I expected to see an improved team this year, not a repeat of last year. I still see way too many players on the field who don’t have the physical tools to succeed and who look unsure about where to line up. I also see way too many plays where the opposing coaches seem to know what the Cats are getting ready to do.

A huge part of being a head coach is hiring a good coaching staff, especially the two coordinators. The inability to put a good staff together is the main reason some outstanding coordinators don’t pan out as head coaches. I hope Stoops is not one of those coordinators.

12. BluKudzu
    10:34 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

If one does wish to investigate further, they could initiate an argument about the legitimacy of ant of the four wins accumulated this year. Further, a comparative analysis of this years team versus last years team, in each phase and strength of schedule would show this years team is not doing as well, actually regressing, with all aspects considered.
    There have been some serious, questionable coaching issues in each game.
    I think it fair to expect, well into the third year, the humiliating blowouts should not be had. Yet, they continue, and they are from middle of the pack SEC competition. I had mentioned, on numerous occasions, following the EKU game, the remaining games are significantly more difficult than the previous competition up to that point. I questioned whether or not we had seen our last win of the season.
    I realize Charlotte is struggling right now, but so are we.
    It will be interesting to see if the “players only” meeting will have an impact. I am not optimistic.
    Maybe the the coaches should be required to have a “coaches only” meeting as well.
    From what I have seen, we have a shot against Charlotte, anything else will be a miracle.
    I am just hoping for no more humiliation games at this point.

• Ha!
      12:41 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

You said it, UK should be 0-8. That would make you happy, huh?

• BluKudzu
      1:29 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Nah, just the bourbon in me. I am pissed we are not 8-0. Generally I am a pretty good natured person. Kind of smart a$$, but a pretty cool dude once you get to know me.

• Ha!
      2:53 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Bourbon at 10 am? Nice.

Your comments speak otherwise. You come off as a completely unbearable human being.

Lighten up, Frances.

13. LOGIC PREVAILS
    11:18 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

Once again, you are off the mark. I think sometimes we get confused about the state of our football program. We are in no position to start demanding wins vs this team or the other. We are just barely removed from back-to-back 2-10 seasons and believe it or not it takes more time to build a successful program from scratch. Of course you can go from 3-9 to 10-2 at places like Michigan or Ohio State. We are Kentucky and do not have a tradition that can pull the type of players in that can make that happen nor did we have that caliber player when Stoops started.

Every major program out there took time (more than 3 seasons) to build. Bobby Bowden built Florida State into what it is today over the course of 10-15 years. Spurrier did it at Florida in 6 years. Clemson has been on the brink for several years now. We should all just calm down and appreciate the fact that going to a bowl is still possible this year and move the bar up next year for maybe 8-9 wins.

Just everybody calm down already. We are definitely better than we have been since Rich Brooks stepped down and it took him about 5 years to get us to the point where he got us. Please keep perspective.

• CatsBy80
      12:11 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

would you believe that just 5 years ago, Baylor only won 4 games? Now they are undefeated and have back-to-back 11-2 seasons… I understand that this is only Stoops’ 3rd year and I’m not expecting an 11-2 season next year, but progress needs to be seen on the field. If we somehow do not make it to a bowl this year, then you better believe that seat is going to get mighty hot.

• Patience
      12:41 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

I agree completely with logic prevails. Most irritating thing with college sports is how quickly fans demand wins under a new coach. Stoops has only really had two full years to recruit the players that are playing right now. His first year he had maybe 6 months. In those two years some of the players have had to adjust to a new Offensive Coordinator. Another point that I would like to back Logic Prevails up on is Rich Brooks took us to four Bowl Games. In 2006 lost to Louisville 28-59, lost to LSU 0-49. In 2008 lost to Florida 5-63. In 2009 lost to Florida 7-41. UK has had humiliating losses in three of the four bowl seasons under Rich Brooks. Rich Brooks was a Head Coach for 18 years with Oregon before coming to Kentucky. This goes for all fans not just UK fans; give a coach time for his recruits to become upperclassman before you question the coaching ability and start demanding wins.

• Mr. Mojo
      1:41 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of post we need more of. If you want to build a program from essentially nothing, it takes time. If you insist on reaching perfection in three years, you’ll just keep recycling the same expectations and disappointments with each new coach. Give him time (i.e., more than three years, and I’d argue more than four unless next year is an absolute catastrophe).

I still think six wins is likely, and I can’t figure out why any fan base that hasn’t been to a bowl game in five years would complain about that regardless of how bad the losses look. Everybody just take a deep breath and let it develop.