BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Opening Games Under Mark Stoops

Opening games have been a mixed bag for Mark Stoops, as you can see below.

2013: An absolute trainwreck against Western Kentucky.  The Cats came out flat and despite the game being close until the 4th quarter, UK was outclassed by WKU for the entire game.  They were not ready to play and the first impression of the Mark Stoops era was not good.  Of course, his talent level is probably as low as any UK team in the modern era.

2014: Weak opponent but the Cats were sharp.  Patrick Towles showed some skill and the defense played well.  It also clearly showed an increase in the talent pool.  Overall, impressive performance.

2015: After flashes of brilliance early, the Cats puckered hard and nearly blew the game.  But at the end, UK finally stepped up and pulled out the victory late.

So, what do you think is the most likely performance next Saturday against Southern Miss:

1. Trainwreck Loss
  2. Impressive Win
  3. Nervous Victory

Article written by Bryan the Intern

24 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Opening Games Under Mark Stoops

1. CATandMONKEY
    8:18 am August 24, 2016 Permalink

Nervous victory.

2. Sentient Third Eye
    8:26 am August 24, 2016 Permalink

I think we will hang 42 on USM, but we will also give up enough points to make it not feel like a total victory. Prediction: UK 42-31

3. Mathlete
    8:42 am August 24, 2016 Permalink

I’m not sweating Shannon Dawson’s offense, our secondary takes away the only thing that “makes him a good coach.” If our offense can produce, we run away with this one. 49-21 Cayts.

4. A_Blue_Wildcat
    9:20 am August 24, 2016 Permalink

I predict that we lose to USM. Barker will look bad, the play calling will continue to be horrendous on both sides, the offensive line will get pushed around, and the team will fall apart after that. 4-8 season, Stoops gets fired at the end of the year.

• david8577
      9:24 am August 24, 2016 Permalink

I predict you’re a card fan.

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      10:00 am August 24, 2016 Permalink

Nope, just a pessimistic uk football fan

• inside info2
      10:23 am August 24, 2016 Permalink

I think we finish 4-8 too, but Stoops will not get fired. He’s been all but guaranteed one more season by Barnhart.

david8577, I guess by your logic that Jared Lorenzen is a card fan too since he predicts we only win 4 or 5 games this year.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:09 am August 24, 2016 Permalink

inside info2 July 5, 2016 at 11:24 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Like It (0)
      i have heard that Robic only signs one year contracts instead of the standard two years.
      Each year he says is his last. I was told that he and Cal don’t really get along, they
      only have a professional relationship, but they both know what they have is a good thing.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:11 am August 24, 2016 Permalink

Whats your 4 wins?

• @GoCayts
      12:29 pm August 24, 2016 Permalink

there is no way our offensive line gets pushed around, did you see Freddie’s take on Southern Miss last week? here’s copy/paste of the DL and LB:

KEY DEFENSIVE PERSONNEL

Defensive Line
      â—¾Dylan Bradley: 6’1, 265
      â—¾Ja’Boree Poole: 6’2, 250
      â—¾Rod Crayton: 6’1, 287
      â—¾Darian Yancey: 6’1, 250

Linebacker
      â—¾Sherrod Ruff: 5’10, 215
      â—¾Elijah Parker: 6’2, 220
      â—¾D’Nerius Antoine: 6’0, 215
      â—¾Jeremy Sangster: 6’0, 233

compare that to the height/weight of our offensive lineman, true FR Drake Jackson who probably won’t play if Toth stays healthy is the lightest guy on the line and still over 300 lbs … even our TEs Conrad and Hart are right at 250

• inside info2
      1:23 pm August 24, 2016 Permalink

UKBB,

Southern Miss, New Mexico State, Austin Peay, and South Carolina.

The coaches think we are going to beat Vandy and Missouri too. They think we have a great chance at beating Florida and Georgia.

• UK Big Board Update
      2:00 pm August 24, 2016 Permalink

You think we can’t win against Vandy and Mizzou?

• inside info2
      2:43 pm August 24, 2016 Permalink

I think we might win against one, but not both. More likely Missouri since we play Vandy right after Alabama. But Missouri is on the road, so even though they are off, it is not going to be easy.

• UK Big Board Update
      3:10 pm August 24, 2016 Permalink

They’re both ranked below us.

• inside info2
      3:32 pm August 24, 2016 Permalink

I haven’t read as much this offseason as I normally do about other teams, but I think Vandy is going to be better than people think due to their coaching. Add to that that we are playing them after Alabama and we always seem to have trouble with Vandy anyway, and I think it is going to be a tough game.

Missouri isn’t going to be great, but we are playing them at Missouri.

Again, the staff is pretty confident we are going to get to a bowl game this year. They are counting on those two games plus think we have a real chance to beat Florida and to a lesser extent, Georgia. But last year one of the coaches told me were were going to go to a bowl. I don’t think it’s happening.

• Billy Hill
      4:07 pm August 24, 2016 Permalink

LMAO. What coach? Please, tell us. Or is it some big secret? LOLOLOL

Just because you go to autograph signings doesn’t warrant the name “inside info”.

Dumbass.

• inside info2
      9:52 pm August 24, 2016 Permalink

I’m around one of the football coaches at least once a month. I’m around several of the AD’s staff a couple of times a month. I used to be around the women’s basketball staff a lot until this spring. I’m 30 years old. I don’t have to make stuff up. I pass on what I hear. I don’t really care whether or not you believe it.

5. kycats13
    9:35 am August 24, 2016 Permalink

Nervous victory

6. kjd
    10:09 am August 24, 2016 Permalink

Impressive victory! 42-21.
    Offense looks good, and defense settles down and comes together in second half.

7. CatFanDu
    10:35 am August 24, 2016 Permalink

Impressive Victory! Shannon D won’t score much- CATS WIN 35-13.

8. Sergeant
    1:20 pm August 24, 2016 Permalink

You guys are nuts. Kentucky rolls in game 1 against a vastly inferior opponent.

9. BluKudzu
    3:35 pm August 24, 2016 Permalink

We should always have the confidence of an impressive victory when you open the season against a C-USA team, of any caliber. We should be able to know we will hang 50 on the scoreboard, and know 4th quarter will be used to give more playing time to the back ups. Especially after 4 years of support unseen by the UK football team in the history of the program.
    However, we are not there.
    Cats win. Confident.

10. BluKudzu
    5:16 pm August 24, 2016 Permalink

Ms Billy Hill
    You are such a little girl, I see that you have been confused in life, and that is so typical of a middle sister that is fat, stupid and ugly. It takes you a bit longer to grow up emotionally, and I get it. The way you act is of no fault of yours. You just had no attention, growing up, and this is your only outlet. Shame on your mommy and daddy, loser girl.
    I will be your friend. Likely your only friend.
    Just a couple words of advice; Grow up and quit being such a coward.
    Your BFF,