BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: KSR Summer Storytime

Image result for holmes hall kentucky

Every Friday from now until the beginning of football season, I open the Friday Rants and Ramblings post up to the reader.  Part of what makes this fanbase great is the memories and stories that people cherish so much.  So I am asking you to send me your favorite UK story.  Whether it be a joyful moment or one that brings tears to your eyes because of the heartbreak, something that sticks with you as a fan of UK.  You can send these stories to [email protected]  You can even send me a picture if you want.  Either way, I like hearing from you.  Today, one guy’s memories attending UK and even living with some of the players:

I was a freshman in 1977-78.  Great year to be a freshman as we went 10-1 in football and won the national basketball championship.  My best memories revolve around Holmes Hall and Memorial Coliseum

This was in the era when the basketball team lived in Holmes with us poor freshmen.  So daily interactions with the team were common. I can never forget the many games of ping pong with the players or hanging out in the TV room. Priceless.

Just down the street was Memorial Coliseum and across the street was Alumni gym.  We played intramural ball in Alumni which was a thrill. The football team won the league that year.  Really exceptional athletes.

All of the guys on my dorm floor played basketball, almost daily.  A couple of months into the fall semester we discovered that there was an unlocked back door at Memorial.  Of course we went in and the place was deserted. The lights were on and nobody was at home. The door we went in went directly to the locker room and the tunnel leading onto the floor.  As you went to the tunnel you walked right past Mr. Rupp’s office. Clearly defined as his name was on the door.

It’s hard to describe going down the tunnel and onto the floor.  Remember that Rupp had just opened and the best Cat’s memories were made on this floor.  So. We played pickup ball there for the rest of our year. Never saw a soul. I vividly remember the games, my room mates and just the experience.

Follow all that with a Tolly Ho burger and hashbrowns at the original location.  Pretty sure it doesn’t get any better.

Memories are funny things.  Some days I can’t remember where I parked my car or that one important thing I was supposed to do.  However, I never forget my Big Blue memories from that awesome time.

C-A-T-S.  Cats, Cats, Cats.

-Terry

Article written by Bryan the Intern

10 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: KSR Summer Storytime

1. taylorsvillecat
    10:05 am April 26, 2019 Permalink

Same entering class, Haggin Hall. After the basketball championship we went to the airport to greet the team, vaguely remember standing on top of rental car booth waiting, lost my ride but was easy to hitch one back to campus.

2. WestWorld
    10:29 am April 26, 2019 Permalink

Lived on the first floor of Holmes Hall 1975-1976 – which is where the players lived. Jack Givens was next door to me, Dwane Casey 2 doors down, Rick Robey, Mike Phillips, James Lee, etc.

The players had a room to themselves while the handful of us”regular students” on the 1st floor, had a roommate. Reggie Warford was basically unbeatable in Ping Pong. (RIP) Dwayne and Jack were two of the nicest guys you’d ever meet. I remember playing on the outdoor courts and guarding Merion Haskins. I let Truman Claytor borrow my bike once, and it took me 2 months to get it back and when I finally did get it back; the front rim was bent so badly I couldn’t ride it.. Thanks Truman,

We would line up on Sundays at Memorial Coliseum to get our tickets for the week. Those were the days my friend….

• runningunnin.454
      1:20 pm April 26, 2019 Permalink

Lived in Holmes ’71-’72 with Grevey, Conner, Flynn, Guyette, G.J. Smith, and Jerry Hale. I would put Kevin Grevey up against anyone in ping pong. Didn’t win the championship game; but, we was robbed.
      Did Rupp really still have an office in ’77-’78?

• Ridge Runner
      2:38 pm April 26, 2019 Permalink

Yes, RG.. Kevin was the man. My fav growing up.

3. CATandMONKEY
    10:36 am April 26, 2019 Permalink

Thanks! How cool to be on campus during such a great time!
    Hit the’Ho about 2AM after the ’98 Championship.
    Agree- those memories will never fade.

• runningunnin.454
      1:05 pm April 26, 2019 Permalink

Hah, I know what the Ho was; but, unfortunate choice of words, ha ha.

• Ridge Runner
      2:41 pm April 26, 2019 Permalink

HAaa! I really wanna tag on the Hitting the Ho @2am thing but my inner voice (the good one) says no ridge, no.

4. Ridge Runner
    12:03 pm April 26, 2019 Permalink

Thanks for the great story! Memories shared is a great read.

5. coyote hunter
    4:14 pm April 26, 2019 Permalink

Wow! I could have written that article! Freshman at Holmes Hall 1977-78-always got beat down in ping pong by Goose Givens. I was an Agriculture major and Rick Robey would give us rides back to Holmes Hall since the Ag School was by Commonwealth Stadium-opposite side of campus. The Ho late night-lets just say location, location, location! We played ball at Alumni gym-wavy floor and all-great memories.

6. Luether
    7:28 pm April 26, 2019 Permalink

Lived in HH in 69 with the basketball team and Tom Payne. One night Payne discovered the screwdriver and was caught after removing most of the numbers from about half the rooms in the dorm. He later discovered his d!ck and had to be moved to an off campus apt after knocking up some ch!ck…