BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: KSR Friday Summer Storytime

Image result for kevin grevey

Every Friday from now until the beginning of football season, I open the Friday Rants and Ramblings post up to the reader.  Part of what makes this fanbase great is the memories and stories that people cherish so much.  So I am asking you to send me your favorite UK story.  Whether it be a joyful moment or one that brings tears to your eyes because of the heartbreak, something that sticks with you as a fan of UK.  You can send these stories to [email protected].  You can even send me a picture if you want.  Either way, I like hearing from you.  Today, one desk worker’s interaction with a basketball player with a great moral to the story:

I grew up poor in rural Grant County. Teenager in mid 70s working on farms to help my disabled mother. We had no inside bathroom and I remember buying us a washtub so we didn’t have to sponge bath. My treat of treats was getting into bed and turning on Cawood Ledford to hear the Cats basketball games. I drew on a paper when he said which goal we were moving toward (right or left of radio dial).

I kept individual scoring on paper with pencil and tried to envision my favorite player, Kevin Grevey shooting that jumper. This took me away from some tough times and got me through high school. This story isn’t mean to be a pity party, yet the simplicity of life in rural Kentucky that made me appreciate the things we now take for granted. Most of all, it cemented my love for UK basketball and football as a means that gave me joy and Kentucky loyalty.  Many older folks like me have similar stories with perhaps no glamour or exciting topics, but not sure we would have survived without Cawood and the AM radio.

-Ridge Runner

Article written by Bryan the Intern

14 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: KSR Friday Summer Storytime

1. Ridge Runner
    10:08 am May 10, 2019 Permalink

Wow, thx for posting BTI. No bells or whistles (meeting players, never attended College, etc..). Didn’t think something so trivial would be posted as my wife pushed me to write it.

Just a small simple story -but so big in my heart.

• runningunnin.454
      10:12 am May 10, 2019 Permalink

Very touching. Yep, Grevey had a sweet lefty release, much like Goose Givens and Tom Parker.
      When I was at UK, when Parker and Grevey would come off the double screens at the top of the circle, the student section would chant…radar, radar, radar.

• Very cool Ridge Runner!

Also, you switched Gravatars on us a little while ago. Can I assume your old one was actually a pic of you? I don’t think your current one is. 😉

• Ridge Runner
      10:47 am May 10, 2019 Permalink

RG, Oh yessir I can see him coming off those screens now. I can imagine the students chanting for sure.

CG.. your right as my old pic was me but it had gotten some age. Now, I’m completely bald. Heh.. So, I went with a pic symbolizing my true hillbilly heritage. Instead of turning away from it… just went with it.
      Haaaa

• ClutchCargo
      10:42 am May 10, 2019 Permalink

Thanks for writing that Ridge Runner.

• Realme
      11:16 am May 10, 2019 Permalink

Stories like that are what make our fan base so great.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:29 am May 10, 2019 Permalink

Nice story Ridge.

• glenracing
      4:21 pm May 10, 2019 Permalink

Ridge
      I’m older than you but share your love for Cawood. My favorite call relates to my favorite player – Mike Casey. When things werren’t going well, Mike would begin to take over the game and Cawood would call “Casey’s going to war!”. My oldest daughter, then a toddler, would jump up and down in front of the tv, screaming “go Casey go”! Great memories. (tears in my eyes now, thanks for writing this).

• glenracing
      4:28 pm May 10, 2019 Permalink

radio not tv

2. UK1983
    10:41 am May 10, 2019 Permalink

POWERFUL – the experience with Cawood was universal – we fans of a certain age can all relate.

3. 4everUKblue
    10:55 am May 10, 2019 Permalink

Thank you Ridge Runner.

• 4everUKblue
      11:10 am May 10, 2019 Permalink

I have a very similar story to yours, so I can relate to almost every detail. Thanks for taking me back to that simpler time when we didn’t have to lock our windows and doors.

• Ridge Runner
      11:30 am May 10, 2019 Permalink

Understood 4ever.. yes sir.

4. J. Did
    5:47 pm May 10, 2019 Permalink

Ridge Runner. We have many things in common. I think most Kentuckians do as well.

It became readily apparent, you being a good human, through your posts and writing.

Cheers!