BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: In Advance of Matthew Mitchell on KSR

matthew-mitchell

A few weeks back I made my pitch for why Matthew Mitchell should not only keep his job as Kentucky women’s basketball coach but in many ways be applauded for reason his program seems to have fallen apart.  Criticizing a guy for focusing on his family while also making the Sweet 16 seems absurd to me.  And certainly the program could be awful next year with all of the departures.  And that is when Mitchell should be criticized.  But how about we let the bread bake before throwing it out?  I think if Mitchell can save the program with limited resources and get them back into national prominence he actually will come out ahead with the fans.

But here’s another reason to keep Mitchell: HE’S OUR BEST COACH BY A MILE.  Before his appearance on KSR this morning, an appearance that might be uncomfortable at times, keep these things in mind:

-UK Hoops has seven 25-win seasons in its history.  Mitchell has six of them.

-UK Hoops has been to the Sweet 16 six times.  Mitchell has five of them.

-UK Hoops has been the Elite 8 three times.  Mitchell has two of them.

-UK Hoops has won at least 1 NCAA Tournament game in 7 straight years.  Before Mitchell, it had never won NCAA games in 2 consecutive years.

-UK Hoops has 1 conference regular season crown.  Guess who was the coach?

-UK Hoops has won 91 SEC games in Mitchell’s 9 years.  They won 91 SEC games in the 24 years before Mitchell.

Here’s my point: he’s earned our patience.  He’s the best coach in program history by a factor of 100.  And the reason his program is struggling is not scandalous or embarrassing or something we should be ashamed about (like a sex scandal in the dorm room).  I hope this morning is a positive experience for Coach Mitchell.  I hope that because he’s earned that.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

9 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: In Advance of Matthew Mitchell on KSR

1. runningunnin.454
    8:07 am June 14, 2016 Permalink

Agree, 100%.

2. Sentient Third Eye
    8:11 am June 14, 2016 Permalink

Mitchell also made UK women’s basketball fun for the first time.

3. ClutchCargo
    8:22 am June 14, 2016 Permalink

Preach on, BTI. Mitchell has proven he is the guy for the job, no matter how bleak things look right now

4. 3Goggles
    8:25 am June 14, 2016 Permalink

I agree. I think we would like a little transparency to know what is going on. Responses have been dodgy at best. Hopefully he will shed some light today! Good luck to him!

• Sentient Third Eye
      8:31 am June 14, 2016 Permalink

I second that thought. MM has made us care about this program, so it’s natural that he should give us more information than in the past. But at the same time, he’s earned the right to fix his mess.

5. onsides
    8:58 am June 14, 2016 Permalink

I don’t think there’s anything scandalous. But there has to be some extreme personality conflicts with MM, his assistants and the players. Something has to explain the mass exodus……

6. PatGLex
    9:35 am June 14, 2016 Permalink

I think, perhaps, when past (not recent past) assistants left for job-growth positions, Mitchell didn’t quite vet the hires — maybe took the “best person available” rather than someone who would mesh with him and with the team. (Maybe, also, recruits?) Possibly, too, he was expecting the assistants to handle more while he spent increased time with his young family. It says volumes that the “new” assistants are actually old assistants who are coming back; they obviously get along well with him and I anticipate that the future will be bright.

7. leetome
    10:40 am June 14, 2016 Permalink

He has been afforded many more resources than any other WBB coach at UK don’t forget that. I bet they are spending more on their assistant coaching staff than any other WBB coach in the country. Heck, he had a hall of fame coach consulting behind the scenes last year….jeez. In the 1970’s UK tried to hire a young Pat Summit from TN but UK was only willing to pay her $100 more per year than she was currently making at UT:/

8. Basteballer
    11:49 am June 14, 2016 Permalink

No question he’s the man for the job. I believe in Matthew Mitchell. He’s the first coach to make me even care that we have a women’s basketball team.