We are slowly creeping towards another football season and it’s a weird situation.  The team has been to two straight bowls, won 7 games each of those seasons, and return tons of talent.  And yet there is almost a fatalism to the upcoming season as I don’t get the sense that fans are truly EXCITED about the upcoming year as the schedule stiffens up and the many, many blown opportunities over the last 35 years of UK football have just taken it out of a fanbase starving for something special in this sport.  Which brings me to this statement and I wonder how many people would agree:

I don’t know if this is blasphemous or not in the UK fanbase, but I feel like many would agree that the reason this basketball fanbase is so passionate and dedicated to the team is because the football program has basically stunk for 80% of the seasons.  Besides a very good stretch in the late 1970’s and the last few years of Rich Brooks, UK has basically only had a year here and there of decent teams but no real consistent program.  And of course Mark Stoops has a consistent stretch here that he might expand on this year.  Obviously the basketball program has been consistently good for 70 years.  They are basically exact opposites of one another.

But when I think of college football, it holds so many advantages over college basketball that I wish UK could ever get a consistently competitive program.  And by consistently competitive, I mean for decades, not 3-5 years stretches.  For instance:

1.  Better Gameday Experience:  Let’s start with tailgating.  Basketball doesn’t have that at all.  I guess you can have a few beers before a basketball game, but not in an organized manner like football.  Hell, even during crappy UK years, the tailgating is still a huge positive.

2. More Fans Can Go: Simple science: 70,000 people can make more noise than 22,000.  Rupp Arena is a great atmosphere for big games, but over the course of 15-20 home games, there are some clunkers in there.  When you only have 6 or 7 home games a year, and 70,000 people can go, it COULD be a better sports atmosphere.

3. It’s Once a Week: What makes college and pro football really great is its played just once a week.  All week is spent anticipating that weekend’s game.  But when you are a UK fan and that often means anticipating the heartbreaking loss you are going to take, it takes away from that experience.  If the program was great, you would look forward to Saturdays so much more.

4. Joining the SEC Fun: We are the only basketball-first school in the conference.  While that means we should continue to dominate the basketball league forever, it also means we are often the whipping boy in football.  Look at Auburn-Georgia, Florida-Tennessee, or Alabama-Anybody.  Sorry, but there will not be a basketball atmosphere anything like that.  I want Kentucky to have a piece of that.

College football is just something special in the south.  I know that if Kentucky had a program to be proud of, not just one or two years but consistently, that I would love supporting and watching that team more than basketball (except for March Madness).

But I wonder if there are others out there like me.  Do you think you would be a bigger football fan than basketball fan if the football team was elite?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

41 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: If We Had 2 Elite Programs, Which Would You Enjoy More?

1. nickwheatley23
    10:03 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

I would be a bigger football fan 100%

2. dbcline1
    10:28 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

Completely agree!!! So much more fun too outside! Not to mention the 1 and done with basketball. I think it’s gonna be a great season!!!

• Wilfred Smith
      10:51 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, kids being free to leave and pursue their dreams really sucks.

3. specks
    10:31 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

Football is more of an event and way more fun. Love basketball, but as a fan it is such a more fun experience.

4. Jay17282
    10:45 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

Football……I’m already a bigger football fan

5. somerset bill
    10:46 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

We do have two elite programs. But, I prefer basketball… over track and field.

• FakeNewsCATS
      11:03 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

Basketball – obviously

Football – back to back bowl appearances and upward progression

NCAA Champions galore with Track & Field

Golf advanced to the NCAA Championship round

Softball with Back-to-back Super Regional appearances

Rifle wins the National Championship

SEC Champ & Elite 8 Volleyball

Baseball gets screwed this year but one year removed from Super Regional

Swim/Dive making moves in NCAA Championship

Gymnastics making the NCAA Championship round

You’re right BTI, we only have 1 elite program to enjoy… LAWD, where’ve you been?

6. cats646
    10:49 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

I’m already a bigger football fan. If I could trade our basketball success with football I would in a heartbeat. Go cats!!

7. Sasquatch
    10:49 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

Basketball has many more home or neutral games and a better end to the season. The games are shorter and has a better experience rain or snow. It’s a grass is greener scenario.

8. dylangeorge7988
    10:51 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

I’m already a bigger football fan anyway- so yeah. Football is a more popular sport and lucrative sport. We shoulda’ kept The Bear back in the day.

• cats646
      12:30 pm June 8, 2018 Permalink

YES!! He could’ve made us what Alabama is today!

9. John Henry
    10:59 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

100% Football. This really is not a contest. Football is much more popular cross the U.S. Basketball was invented to pass the time and is a minor sport in many areas of the country. .

10. Matty Arbuckle
    11:31 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

We do have two elite programs: Basketball and Cheerleading.

11. Catuary
    11:46 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

A case could be made that the football program has generally been lousy as a result of the basketball program’s success. It has long been alleged that Bear Bryant left Kentucky because Rupp had the university’s full support and had greater resources than the Bear, and at the time Lexington wasn’t big enough for both egos. After the Bear left, it was downhill for UK football.

12. 4everUKblue
    11:46 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

I personally have really enjoyed the track and field team this season.

13. A_Blue_Wildcat
    11:48 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

Basketball is just a much more entertaining sport to me, if Kentucky didn’t have a football team I probably wouldn’t watch any football at all.

• Kernel Sanders
      12:36 pm June 8, 2018 Permalink

I agree with your statement….except switch the words basketball and football. I can watch NCAA football no matter who plays. Unless UK is playing bball it bores me except for March Madness.

• Tony9h
      10:22 pm June 8, 2018 Permalink

Totally agree with this…can’t remember the last time I watched a college basketball game that wasn’t UK

14. bhb71
    11:49 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

Still basketball, no question. I personally like the dynamics of the sport better and it doesn’t have a history of causing brain trauma amongst its players.

• cats646
      12:33 pm June 8, 2018 Permalink

Neither does badminton. Do you like it better than football?

15. Lip Man 1
    11:55 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

To answer the original question, yes, I’d be a bigger fan…but still not as big as UK basketball.

16. Cmstew502
    11:58 am June 8, 2018 Permalink

I would trade every basketball championship for half its number in football championships.

17. Elwood BLU
    12:03 pm June 8, 2018 Permalink

I completely agree with this article. #Footballfirst for years. There are too many fans of basketball team that don’t know a basketball from a pumpkin.

18. rem392
    12:22 pm June 8, 2018 Permalink

Last year I had tickets to the UK-UL basketball game. I gave them away and went to Nashville for the bowl game. For the past several years I have season tickets in basketball and football. I gave up my basketball tickets for the upcoming year. I will never give up my football tickets. I tell people all the time that I am a bigger UK football fan that basketball. That will always be the case.

19. c21judicole
    12:47 pm June 8, 2018 Permalink

There’s no denying that the atmosphere around football is exciting, but I find the game generally boring and way too long. Basketball will always be number one in my book because of the speed at which it’s played, the intricacies of the plays and the athletic prowess of the players.

20. dcarlinf1
    12:50 pm June 8, 2018 Permalink

Basketball first for me, but it would be awesome to have an elite football program as well.

21. JTHinton
    12:51 pm June 8, 2018 Permalink

Definalrwy would be a bigger soccer fan than b-ball

22. deputy305
    12:58 pm June 8, 2018 Permalink

it doesnt matter UK will never have 2 elite programs as far as Basketball and football, we can hope baseball and Basketball

23. FBtimeintheBG
    2:07 pm June 8, 2018 Permalink

I had to stop reading after this:

“I WISH KENTUCKY FOOTBALL WAS ELITE BECAUSE I WOULD BE A BIGGER FOOTBALL FAN THAN BASKETBALL FAN”

24. runningunnin.454
    2:40 pm June 8, 2018 Permalink

If is a big, big, big word.

25. UKFootballYall
    3:53 pm June 8, 2018 Permalink

We CAN rock it in both football and basketball. For starters, spend whatever it takes to get the RIGHT coach, not an average one, and we could start winning more games right away with the talent that is here right now.

Did anyone see what Texas A&M did to secure the coach they wanted? It’s simply about priorities people! Our AD and administration need to finally make it a priority. If they can blow $160 million on a half ass renovation of Commonwealth Stadium they can find the money for the right coach. Hey, they could use the money from selling our dignity to Kroger for the naming rights to OUR stadium!

26. KyZoneBlitz
    7:08 pm June 8, 2018 Permalink

Already am a bigger football fan, it seems the past 2-3 years, we’ve been just a couple plays short of a special year, in the past we may of had 1 year like that, but 2 or 3 in a row? I think that consistency is coming, slowly but surely. Just my opinion, but I think it’s very possible, with the core staff in place.

27. Dowser
    9:40 pm June 8, 2018 Permalink

No doubt… football

28. highway119
    6:37 pm June 9, 2018 Permalink

Football 100% not even close

29. krautdog
    8:29 am June 10, 2018 Permalink

UK football sucks-always has, always will! I still watch because it’s entertaining-sometimes downright comical, like last season’s Florida game!