Assuming Shai announces he is leaving Kentucky tonight Monday, he will become the 21st player of the Calipari era to play one year at the school and then leave for the NBA draft.  Kevin Knox will likely make it 22 in the coming days and we’ll see who else might fall into that category after that.  Those 20 players who preceded Shai have made some of the most significant contributions to a program over just one season that any group could.  But where does Shai fit into that group?  I personally think there have been 5 guys who were “legendary” players at Kentucky:

LEGENDARY
1. Anthony Davis
2. John Wall
3. Karl-Anthony Towns
4. Demarcus Cousins
5. Julius Randle

Does Shai fit into that group?  Absolutely not.  His stats don’t compare, his team results don’t compare, his connection to the fans doesn’t compare.  The next level I go into is “elite” players:

ELITE
6. Malik Monk
7. Brandon Knight
8. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
9. Jamal Murray
10. De’Aaron Fox
11. Nerlens Noel
12. Eric Bledsoe
13. Archie Goodwin
14. James Young
15. Bam Adebayo
16. Devin Booker
17. Trey Lyles

I think in this group is where Shai definitely fits.  He was an elite player for much of the season and by the end of the year was playing at an All-American type level.  Personally, I would slide him in between James Young and Bam on this list.  It is so hard to compare a bruising center like Bam with a guard like Shai but I think for overall impact on the game, Shai had more of one than Bam.  But I don’t think he was as good of an overall player as James Young, although it is very close.  To me, there is a noticeable drop-off between Bledsoe and Goodwin, and I just don’t think Shai can compare to a Fox, Noel, or Bledsoe.

And then we have the three outliers:

OTHERS
18. Marquis Teague
19. Daniel Orton
20. Skal Labissiere

I struggled on whether to put Teague here because by the end of the season he became a very good point guard.  But to me, there is a significant drop between Lyles and Teague and for most of that season, Teague struggled.  Obviously, Shai does not belong in this group.

So I would put Shai as the 15th best “one and done” player of the Calipari era.  Agree or disagree?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

35 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: If Shai Leaves, Where Would he be on Hierarchy of UK One and Dones?

1. DT in DC
    10:02 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

I personally wouldn’t consider Archie Goodwin elite. But that’s just me.

2. Matty Arbuckle
    10:06 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

Nerlens was not elite really, either.

• UK Big Board Update
      10:08 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

wut

• quietude38
      10:12 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

He only played 2/3 of a season!

3. ClutchCargo
    10:06 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

Archie Goodwin is way too high on that list. SGA should be at the bottom of the elite group and Goodwin with the Others.

4. quietude38
    10:08 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

Archie Goodwin, a player who I legitimately forget about 75 percent of the time, is way too high on this list. Booker and Lyles should be higher up.

5. Reese Davis
    10:17 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

You completely forgot the Harrison Twins

• quietude38
      10:20 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

Harrison Twins played two seasons.

• BBNDan7
      10:37 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

“Here’s your sign”

6. Smyrna_Cat
    10:17 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

Seems the only reason to do a list like this is because (a) there isn’t anything else to talk about, and (b) you just want people to post and disagree.

7. Smyrna_Cat
    10:18 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

And isn’t this premature???

8. luke_emberton
    10:21 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

Archie Goodwin? Are you nuts?

9. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    10:25 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

I put him at 11 after Fox…..but Archie, Nerlens and maybe Young are too high.

10. Duuuuuude
    10:34 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

In my mind, you could remove #13 and 14 from that list

11. Matty Arbuckle
    10:39 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

Reece – the Harrison twins were not one and dones. They stayed two years.

12. Buffalo Cat
    10:41 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

Archie Goodwin was never considered elite. When he left, it was just idiotic.
    James Young was borderline elite when he left, but has been a huge bust. He clearly should have stayed. If last year’s Kentucky team had beaten Carolina, then an argument that Fox jumps to the higher category.

13. Blue Jesus
    10:52 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

I wouldn’t put Marquis Teague in the elite category, but I would rank him higher than some of the others who are classified as elite. Teague was the point guard on a national championship team. He wasn’t a star, he wasn’t John Wall or Fox, but he was an important piece of the most successful team in the Cal era. Goodwin and Lyles should both be below him, and I would drop Noel a bit, though still higher than Teague, and still “elite.”

14. JTA
    11:15 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

Archie Goodwin, lol

15. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    11:21 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

I can understand having ads between the article and comment section….gotta pay the bills. But why have links to older articles that we’ve already read there too? It lessens the user experience and probably doesn’t make KSR any more money.

Also, BTI sucks.

16. t_f_licker
    11:27 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

You lost me at Archie Goodwin.

17. Cmart0907
    11:29 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

Y’all are forgetting. That team with Archie. Archie was the only offense we had. He was the only one that could create his own shot. That’s why he was always out of control. Trying to make something out of nothing. If Calipari draw up easy plays to get Archie to the rim with his athleticism he wouldn’t look so bad.

18. Shredder
    11:35 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

Archie Goodwin and James Young are overrated on your list in my opinion. Devin Booker is underrated. The team Bam played with really struggled to get the ball to him or I think he would have been higher.

19. Willis Wolf Tattoo
    11:42 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

I would include Brandon Knight in the Legendary group and put him in front of Randle. Randle had better stats- was a DD machine, but Knight got us to Cal’s first Final Four on two game winners.

• the ghost of Bill Hicks
      2:00 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Brandon Knight does not get enough love here!

20. FlatTopsAndBlockedShots
    11:48 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

MKG replaces Randle on the list. Archie has a bad stigma because that team was awful and would’ve looked totally different if Teague stayed since they biggest problem ended up that the lack of PG impacted the rest of the team. If James Young stays for the 2014-15 team then it would’ve been even crazier, he wouldn’t have to take as many bad shots, and UK easily beats Wisconsin and embarrasses dook which forces K into early retirement.

21. BrandonLee
    11:58 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

In years to come I believe fox moves up to Legendary

22. UKfromJersey
    12:35 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I guess Eric Bledsoe doesn’t count. Lmao. How could you forget him……..

• ClutchCargo
      1:18 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

#12…

23. FroggyFrog
    1:33 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I think there is a good argument for swapping Malik and Julius. I understand that Randle helped get us to a national championship game and that does separate him from a lot of people on this list. However, Malik was more clutch. Twice against North Carolina, who I despise, Malik 1) hit the go ahead three to seal the game and 2) tie the game up to force OT in the NCAA tourney. Secondly, Malik had a legendary 47 point outing, accumulated a total of 754 points, and was overall the most lethal scorer I have seen put on a UK jersey.

24. ukkatzfan
    1:51 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

WCS ?

25. ukkatzfan
    1:53 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Nvm. I see now. One and dones. Like monk, fox and Bam alot more than Julius R

26. Wynn
    3:24 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Shai was the best player on our team… and for all the struggles, it was not a bad team. How you can put him below Young, Goodwin, and even Bledsoe is beyond me

27. UKfanman01
    4:51 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Tyler Ulis, Harrison twins, or Briscoe wasn’t on this list. Fox is lower on the list than Monk? Last time I checked Fox and Briscoe are ONLY 2 of 3 in program history that have had triple doubles. This list was poorly put together. Hopefully you were drunk, or at least hungover, when this was put together

• RBT
      11:22 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I disagree with the list, but it’s composition is fine. What is not ok is your reading comprehension.

“Where Would he be on Hierarchy of UK One and Dones?”

So maybe before you attack BTI, you make sure your post is relevant. #KeyboardWarrior

28. The Professor
    5:20 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Obviously Wall is an elite pro but if the criteria is what they did their one year at UK then Knight goes above Wall. He led his team to a national runner-up without the talent that Wall had around him. Wall didn’t make a Final four with the best talent maybe ever at UK.