BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: How Do Some of You Do It?

IMG_8181

I’ll be honest, what I am about to write totally means I am not as good a fan as some of you.  But there comes a point after 30 years of life, pretty much all of it a supporter of UK and UK football, where you have to admit something to yourself.  And frankly, after attending the Florida game and watching the Auburn game, it’s time to just tell it like it is.  I think I am losing patience with this program.  Not in Mark Stoops or any player in particular, but just in UK football as a whole.  To see so many bad football teams take the field for UK it just makes all of these tough losses over the years with good football teams that much harder.

What is hard for me to not become frustrated with is we have seen Hal Mumme, Rich Brooks, Guy Morris, and Mark Stoops take players of vastly different skill levels and build the program up in their own ways.  And then they win 6 or 7 games.  There is some kind of ceiling with this program that we can’t break through.  Can UK do it on a 1-game basis?  Of course.  Beating LSU in 2007 or various upsets over the last 25 years shows that.  But then there is always a disappointing loss that follows.  If UK can’t convert opportunities against Florida and Auburn AT HOME, how can I feel confident they can it at Mississippi State or at Georgia.  Will Tennessee be just another heart-breaking experience?  And what about Louisville?  We should totally beat Louisville in Commonwealth this season.  We are better.  But I truly think we were better than Auburn and Florida and look how that turned out.

Do we just overrate our talent and chances?  Or are we just a completely snake-bitten program?

Look, Mark Stoops has CLEARLY increased the talent level at Kentucky in his 3 years.  It is obvious.  But it doesn’t seem matter what advantages you have or how good your players are, there seems to be something stuck in this program that prevents us from breaking through in the SEC.  How many absolutely silly drops and key missed tackles did we see last night that we haven’t seen all season?  Dorian Baker makes the HUGE catch against EKU but they blows game-changing TD catches against Florida and Auburn.  Don’t know about you, but I’ll trade an EKU loss for Baker catching both of those passes.  But instead when it mattered most, the Cats blow it again.

It doesn’t mean I won’t support the program or cheer them on from now until forever.  I love the way Stoops is running this program.  But it just seems a lot easier to just accept 6 wins and be surprised by 8 than believe in 8 and finish disappointed every season.  In a year by year situation, that’s a bad attitude to have.  But I have done this for 30 years and many of you have done this for 40, 50, 60, or more years.  How do some of you remain patient and passionate knowing that this program continues to rip your heart out?

We are going to look back on this season and truly regret the chances we let slip through.  The SEC East was completely there for the taking this year.  And I say with a straight face this UK team was good enough to win that division.  Could we have beaten Florida and Auburn?  Of course.  If they had done that, they could have lost to BOTH Mississippi State and Georgia and still won the division.  Instead, their chances are all but toast barring a great run to end the season.  And frankly, for those of us who have watched this program for 30+ years, it’s hard to remain patient enough to believe that can happen.

So what can Mark Stoops and company do now?  Simple.  Prove me wrong.  Make me look foolish.  Win 8 games this year.  I want them to win their final 6 games.  I will cheer for them in all 6 as hard as I did in the first 6.  But as it stands now my patience is completely fried with the UK football program.  Those of you who remain passionate and confident this can become a 9-10 win program, how do you do it after this happens time after time?  I am looking for advice.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

120 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: How Do Some of You Do It?

1. BUCats
    8:04 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Snake-bitten is the right word.

• cats paw
      9:24 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

you people are so clueless!! you put the blame on everything except the one responsible! u hire a man that has never coached in his life for 3.5 million!! if that $$ had went to a proven winner (like Petrino) this fan base would be as high on him as they are Cal. just look at the Michigan or Ohio State program to know how a real coach can turn a program around in a year!

• pithuahua
      9:45 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Last nights game hurt worse than the Florida game. I hope it didn’t hurt our chances of getting Jedrick Willis. Stoops is a much better recruiter than a coach at this point. The quality of players he is bringing in will eventually supersede the lack of coaching abilities of this staff. Look for a staff shake up in the next couple of years. This is still Kentucky football at its finest.

• J-Dub421
      9:48 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Piss off cats paw and go slobber all over your boy Petrino some more. U of L is going to lose again this Saturday and continue to have a losing season. Your team sucks.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:07 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I would pay 5 million to guarantee Petrino never donned a UK hat.

• theWilkman
      10:09 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Wondering where you were, cats paw. Gotta wait for a UK loss before you show your head. And with the same old tiresome salary argument that means a whole lot of nothing.

And how’s Petrino working out for you? What’s your record again?

2. Rainmakr20
    8:08 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

This could be why you are an intern!!

• CATandMONKEY
      8:17 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Dude, he hasn’t been an intern for many years. He is pretty much right.
      Ky football : Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 24 seasons, shame on Ryan….that seems like a Ryanism.

3. Doug
    8:08 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

We are not a football school. Plain and simple.

4. Hamburgers
    8:11 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I think step one is be a man. Step two is probably learn what being a fan is. You don’t get to pick and choose what you do and don’t support. You’re a UK fan? Good, you can enjoy basketball and baseball and football and women’s basketball and academics and research and everything that comes with UK. You get all the ups and all the downs. If you only care about watching a winning team, then you can go ahead and look for another school to support.

I get re-energized every year because I love the cats and I’ll never turn my back on the state and the team I love. Good enough?

• CATandMONKEY
      8:24 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Problem is we haven’t had anything but a mediocre program in almost the ENTIRE history of UK football. I will never be cheering for any other team. Every Saturday of mine during football season is completely dedicated to the game. The issue isn’t any single coach or team. This problem transcends throughout the ages. It is a program issue.
      Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is a maneuver that we have down better than almost any program. This team could win 8 this year but just what have they done to support that assertion?

5. Paul B
    8:12 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I get it. But it takes time to build a winning program, especially at Kentucky. Auburn and Florida are both more talented than us and better teams as a whole. A 3 point loss is a loss, but it’s an improvement. We are becoming more competitive each year. If Stoops can keep this momentum going, we will get to 8 win seasons, and hopefully more.

• Towles' Man Bun
      9:03 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

My question is: Where is the “improvement” you speak of? I see receivers who can’t make a catch, a QB who follows up 1 great throw with 2-3 that are high/behind the receiver, a defensive line that can’t create pressure with the supposedly great #69 on the field, a special teams unit that shanks punts, and a coaching staff that can’t manage the clock in SIMPLE situations or get the right personnel on/off the field. Yes, Auburn has better talent. But guess what? They are NOT THAT GOOD. Who CARES they were ranked #6 preseason?! They obviously are not a Top 25 team, and neither are we. Mizzou? Not a Top 25 team. Florida? Barely a Top 25 team. We hang our hats on results from mediocre teams that were once great in the SEC, and we still haven’t played a legit contender such as Bama, LSU, Ole Miss, A&M. God help us when that happens.

We HAVE to start winning these games when the opportunities arise. There is no excuse for not beating Auburn. Too many easy, missed opportunities and oversights.

• Paul B
      9:30 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

How is Florida not legit when they are undefeated and destroyed Ole Miss!?!?
      The improvement is that we are only losing by 3 or 4 points instead of getting Boat-raced all the time!
      Auburn and Florida still have better players than Kentucky.

We just aren’t going to win all of these games, until we get better and take advantage of opportunities.

• theWilkman
      10:33 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I watched every single snap and can tell you did not. Towles has had poor games, but last night was not one of them. He was on the money for almost the entire night, outside the horrendous pick in the endzone. The pass to Juice down the side line in the first half was as good of a throw as you will see. He hit Baker in the endzone late in the second half, perfectly thrown ball that he dropped.

What I think you don’t understand is that when you are covered by legit DB play, you have to often put the ball into an area only the WR can get and let him make a play, like off the back shoulder. He did that all night, and besides Juice, guys weren’t making the plays.

6. Rodger
    8:13 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I clearly forgot to turn on my Brianese filter before attempting to read that mess.

• Emmittt
      8:46 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Agreed!! Shameful post that should be taken down immediately. I’m disappointed too – but we are competing and winning with a lot of YOUNG talent!!

• Everyone Knows
      9:50 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

That football sucks. It’s basketball season now

7. Stitch Jones
    8:21 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I understand what you say in this article.

HOWEVER, Mark Stoops has done a hell of a job turning that feeling of the program into one that feels like they can and should win! In the past, getting down late in the game to a team like EKU would mean a loss. Letting Auburn score on the opening possession would have meant a 42-7 beatdown. But NO, Mark Stoops has changed the mindset of the program to one where that outcome is not acceptable and will not be tolerated. The team did not give up as so many have in the past. Rome was not built in a day people! Stoops is heading in the right direction! You can give up on the program but I am NOT!

• John
      9:17 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

The last time we played Auburn, we lost by 3(2010). We also beat them on the road, in I think 2009.

8. Reality
    8:24 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

The proverbial corner should have been turned this season. In 3 yrs Stoops has the recruits, a new CWS and as easy of a SEC schedule you will ever get. The excuses are void. We currently have 1 win against a top 60 FBS team ( Missouri 54th). The environment for both Auburn and Florida are the pinnacle of KY football; yet we fail to capitalize. At what point do we refute meritocracy? Matt Jones on last nights post game, ” Who thought we would be 4-2′? We should accept that we are better than we thought.” That mindset is the foundation of our fandom. What is truly scary is next year will be a gauntlet.
    @UF
    @UT
    @Missouri
    @Lou
    @West oppt.

Our 50/50 games are all on the road. Thats okay though, 6-6 and we are almost there!!!!

• za
      8:52 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

What you said is right, but I still think we can turn the corner later on. Our season isn’t over! Why can’t we got out and win 4 or 5 the rest of the way out.

• Dwayne
      9:15 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

What you said is exactly right. We can’t evaluate the present on what we thought would happen at the beginning. Teams change throughout the year. If you’re ok with Ky football being average at best then you’re happy with the season so far, but if you’re wanting and expecting us to take the next step you have to win games like last night against an under achieving Auburn. I don’t want to hear anything about youth because everyone has youth. Florida’s RS Freshman QB took our RS Junior QB to the woodshed!

9. Recruit
    8:24 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Thanks for the info. Think I’ll look elsewhere

10. Bevo
    8:27 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

So tired of the mediocre mentality…Majority of the fan base are satisfied with moral victories to make themselves feel better. Games are closer now than years past because Stoops/Marrow are recruiting so well…but they’ve absolutely 💩 the bed in the 2 biggest opportunities of the year. Coming out of a timeout with 8 players on the field in that situation is unacceptable. Period.

• Dwayne
      9:16 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Exactly!

11. OldTimer
    8:27 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

You think you’re frustrated after 30 years, try being a fan for 50 years. Like the dude said above, we are simply not a football school. Basketball is the only thing that matters here. The fact that Stoops has made improvement is relative to the Joker Phillips era…the low point of Kentucky football. We will never be competitive in the SEC on a consistent basis.

12. Cutler's moustache
    8:31 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

It’s coming, Bro…buck up. The next two years should be very interesting. It still boggles the mind how we come out of the locker room flat against FL and again, last night.

13. John Too Short
    8:34 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

We’re a QB away from being a legit SEC program…and a O-line…

And a defense…

…and a couple receivers

• BallEater
      11:09 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

You forgot a couple of coaches, a play caller, a time clock watcher, someone from the stands that can kick the ball into the end zone, a QB that understands that when its 4th and 6 that you can not fall into a fetal position after 3 yards, a QB that can’t see quite possibly the best receiver in the history of our program running wide open through the endzone and then throw it to the opposing team,

• John Too Short
      2:05 pm October 16, 2015 Permalink

That too.

14. symphonist41169
    8:36 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Bear Bryant’s curse when he was given a cigarette lighter as a reward for a great season & Adolph Rupp got a Cadillac.

• Myth
      10:47 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Except that didn’t happen.

15. GatorCat
    8:37 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Know why last night was a sellout? Lots of Auburn fans throughout CWS having bought UK season tix seats offered on line. Will be worse for UT. BTI is not wrong (for once) – fans are cashing out.

16. pam
    8:38 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I whole-heartedly agree. I’m 60 years old and have been a Wildcat fan ALL my life. We have been “rebuilding” the ENTIRE time! There’s no excuse for losing to a bad Auburn team on a home, nationally televised game. The defense couldn’t tackle my 1 year old grand daughter. And Barker must be awful because Towles clearly can’t get the job done. But someone from KY will call Stoops this week and tell him what good job he’s doing and he’s got the program headed in the right direction. I’ll continue to pull for the Cats, always, but I’m finished getting excited thinking this is going to “be the year” That year doesn’t exist!

17. BenHur
    8:40 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I can’t tell. Are all these comments from UL fans pretending to be disgruntled UK fans, or is it just grown men pouting like little girls on their first period?

• Dwayne
      9:18 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

We should be like Lville fans and media and ignore the obvious???

18. Jerb
    8:43 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Chill BTI! It’s a building process. Stoops has grown this program in 3 years. Just a couple more pieces and we beat Florida. We beat auburn. I’m so proud of our guys and coaches! Keep getting better. Keep recruiting great players and its only a matter of time. We will break out! Go Cats!

• Irwin R. Fletcher
      9:05 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

The pieces are already there. The plays were there. Dorian Baker makes two catches (on uncontested balls, that hit him in the hands), we are 6-0. But he didn’t & we’re not. We are Kentucky.

I firmly believe that you could transplant Saban & his entire roster to Lexington & they would lose 4-5 games a year.

• BallEater
      11:14 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

jerb…check back when you have witnessed 60 years of Ky FB and let us know exactly when they broke out. Hint: don’t hold your breath.

• DerbyDemon
      12:06 pm October 16, 2015 Permalink

I am so sick of hearing “it’s a building process.” No shit. Trouble is, that “building process” has been going on so long that building should be 200 stories tall. I have followed UK football for 52 years. Aside from a FEW decent years, I have had nothing to cheer about. Every year I read–and buy into–the hype that’s spread by the locals, and what do I see last night? Receivers who cannot catch, a defensive line that’s, well, offensive, a quarterback who can only single in on one receiver, a 8-man punt return team, poor (and do mean POOR) clock management for oh, about the fifth game of the season, and finally, a RUNNING PLAY up the middle called when UK has no more time outs. UK TALKS a real good game, but they NEVER deliver. I (and I’m sure I was not alone) felt again like I’d just been kicked in the gut after this loss. You all can put any kind of spin on the game you want. Auburn is AWFUL this year and our team handed the game to them in the first quarter.

19. G. Sea
    8:44 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I agree with everything written here. I am 71 yrs. and this the way it’s been since I started listen to the cats on the radio. You get your hopes up and the same outcome each year.

20. UK Doubter
    8:45 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Should have left the SEC years ago when the ACC wanted UK. Could have built something. This program is hard to support. Stoops doing a great job but has probably reached the pinnacle for UK football. I figure he will get tired of it too and move on to a program where he stands a chance to win something bigger than a Music City Bowl.

21. jay
    8:45 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Our football program has sucked for a number of years, but when somebody really is actually rebuilding it, you have to realize that it takes time to turn back the momentum of 50 years of a bad program. I mean, unless you believe it can never ever be good. I think it can, and I think Stoops can get us there. I look at last night, and I see us playing a team to the wire that was preseason ranked 6th in the country. And the reason we lost really was stupidity and amateur mistakes. That tells me we’re getting closer. The amateurism is going to improve with older players and higher ranked recruits (which we’re pulling in with 4 and 5 stars over the next couple of years). I don’t know what to tell you man: it’s just like a fat guy trying to get in shape. You have a lot going against you, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Far from it. And yeah you got to take the losses to improve.

22. Dick Rawdon
    8:46 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Get another job!

23. Andrew
    8:48 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

If our fan base collectively knew before the season we’d be 4-2 at this point… I don’t think many people would be griping. I know I wouldn’t be. Auburn was ranked #6 in the country at one point… Obviously they proved to be pretty overrated, but this is a team that has been a national championship contender, and pulled in top 10 recruiting classes in the recent years. As for Florida, they went and put dropped the hammer on a GOOD Ole Miss team, ranked #3 at the time. Our 2 losses, and close losses at that, are to good SEC teams. I understand Auburn isn’t great this year, but they still aren’t bottom tier. Point is that, 4-2 without being blown out by any team is a good step in the right direction… We will go to a bowl game this year, we will keep recruiting at a high level, and we’ll see what Stoops can do with it. Have faith and don’t jump ship.

• SEC West
      9:01 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

“I understand Auburn isn’t great this year, but they still aren’t bottom tier” Actually, Auburn ranks dead last in the SEC West, so yeah, they are bottom tier. Not to mention, Auburn went to OT to beat an awful Jacksonville St team and barely beat San Jose St.

• Andrew
      9:34 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I meant talent wise more or less. Auburn does not have bottom tier talent at all… They just haven’t played up to their potential this season for whatever reason.

24. Manning #1
    8:49 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I read some of the above and what the INTERN has written and it makes my stomach ache. Was your expectations coming into this year a 8-4 record or better. I bet not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and if so you have no clue what is going on. I would take the 6 wins and a bowl game this year and look forward to the 8 to 9 win season next year. I agree on a little bit about all that has been written but STOOPS/STAFF is doing a great job. I have always agreed that it takes 4 years to let a coach make a team and then judge from that point on. CATS Fan all the way wether it be Football, Basketball, Baseball or Chess. At least I bet you watched the game until the end where a few years back you turned it by the end of the first quarter to watch REALITY TV. I think all would agree that if somehow they get 7 wins we would all celebrate. No one is acknowliging that AUBURN played pretty well also.

• Dwayne
      9:24 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

You have to evaluate how we’re doing based on how good teams are now not what we thought going into the season! Auburn & Florida are missed opportunities that you have to take advantage of if you’re going to take the next step. We very easily could be and probably will be 5-4 in 3 weeks….

25. bluegrass799
    8:49 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

3 star and low-end 4 star players are NOT supposed to beat 5 star recruits in football. Auburn had 5 star recruits, florida had 5 star recruits…..we lost. Where is the problem? You get what ya get from 3 star players and a sprinkle of 4 star.

Just let it be known that Gus Malzahn or whatever fyuk his name is could NOT win games with 3 star and low 4 star players……neither can Saban or Ohio States coach.They win because they put 5 star players on the field…FACT.

• Towles' Man Bun
      8:54 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Ok, point taken. If that is a FACT, then is it also a FACT that unless Saban or some other coaching prodigy decides to make their home in the Bluegrass, that we’ll never be able to win with consistency? Because it’s also a FACT that we can’t get a stable of 4-5 star players that those programs get…right?

• bluegrass799
      9:05 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

No, I think Stoops is good enough a coach to recruit 5 star players. He just needs some luck to win a couple of these games like Auburn, Georgia, Alabama, florida etc………Winning against the big dogs opens the door to elite recruiting.

• Towles' Man Bun
      9:28 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Recruiting a small handful of 5 star players is not going to solve the problem, IMO. And to get those 5 star players – as someone previously noted – you HAVE to win games against better programs even if they are having down years like Florida, Auburn, South Carolina, etc. Otherwise, the rich get richer. You make your own luck, and luck is not a plan.

26. CPACAT
    8:50 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I have been an ardent UK Football fan since the 1976 Peach Bowl Team, so this is my 40th year of fandom. I have seen the worst (0-10-1) and the best (9-3 in 1984…unless you include the 10-1 1977 probation team) of UK Football. For every great win (LSU in ’07) there are 25 bad losses and 15 “one play here, one play there losses” like AU and UF this year. While we aren’t getting blown out now (aka UK-VU in 2012), we still can’t win our share of the close games. I am starting to wonder if someone defiled a man and his goat at Stoll Field back in the day, and we are under a Billy Goat Curse like the Cubs. 6-6 is doable, but they have to bring it against VU and Charlotte!

• OboroCatFan
      9:13 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

We are realizing what “Cubs” fans go thru. The UL game will be a $3 million game. The difference between a 6-6 bowl team and a 7-5 bowl team.
      GBB

• BlueRedneck
      9:26 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Cubs have the Curse of the Goat, we have the Curse of the Bear. Should have never let Bear Bryant get away.

27. Towles' Man Bun
    8:51 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Yes, we overrate our chances and talent. We buy in. All in. Why not? Everything that gushes from the program, we devour and our Big Blue hearts choose to see the best and ignore the obviously glaring holes in our team and our program. Is Stoops doing a great job bringing in unprecedented talent? Absolutely! But, this is a team that – to this point – has not learned to play an entire football game. One day it’s the QB throwing high/low/short/behind. The next it’s terrible play calling by Dawson. The next it’s a defense that leaks like cheese cloth. Then it’s bad clock management and special teams play, which should be an anomaly but have become our M.O. Nevertheless, we fans keep on believing, and we get burned. I’m like you where I feel a sense of apathy now. Too many games in my life I’ve thought: “Well, we almost/coulda/shoulda beat them…”. It’s just who we are.

28. fatbrat
    8:52 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

BTI this is probably your best writing. When you try to cram a bunch of stats on a page and call it an article just pisses folks off. Keep you focus and speak your mind leave the stats to Maggard.

• Make Bryan Full-Time
      9:01 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

agreed.

• Cape G Cat Fan
      1:16 pm October 16, 2015 Permalink

I agree BTI this peice is probably your best I think it captured the feelings and thoughts of a large part of the fan base. It just seems like UK football can’t get out of its own way, and as a fan I feel like I’m Charlie Brown and the football program is Lucy and each time I convince myself that this season will be different and better the ball gets pulled away just before I kick it and I end up flat on my back looking like a fool. But I love UK too much to give up on it so all I am left with is to expect mediocrity and that way I will be pleasantly surprised when we over achieve but I won’t be disappointed when we fail to live up to the latest expectations.

29. bluegrass799
    8:53 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

BASICALLY Kentucky plays football with Tubby Smith caliber players and the rest of the league minus Vanderbilt have atleast a few Calipari caliber players to counter. You will lose almost everytime in crunch time…

30. chris kersey
    8:55 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

whiner (are you not supposed to post your real name to these comments?)

31. Ken Grizzle
    8:58 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I’ve been a UK fan for 50+ yrs. Just once before I kick the bucket I’d like to see an officials bad call or even a no call be in our favor. just sayin…..

32. Make Bryan Full-Time
    9:00 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Keep up the good work Bryan… truly good journalism in my opinion. My advice: Lower your expectations when it comes to UK football. Experts have said that the SEC is not as strong as it was a few years ago but I believe it is as strong as ever right now. FSU was an NFL draft machine and OSU will be the same. Regardless, they are the only teams in their conferences those years that could compete in the SEC. If you look at it along those lines, you would see that UK football was at least 5-6 years away when Stoops took over. For that reason, I never felt at any point in the last three years that UK was anywhere near ready to compete annually in the SEC. Cats fan or not, this is about football common sense. While most programs give coaches a four year window to win, I believe schools like UK, Vandy, Arkansas, etc should give their new coaches a much bigger window to succeed. With that being said, I think the criticism to Stoops at this point is unfair if you look at the bigger picture. Also, I believe Joker was fired prematurely if you look at these factors.

33. bluegrass799
    9:00 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

for Kentucky to win they need 5 STAR offensve linemen and 5 star defensive linemen. Uk will have to win a few of these big games while having a good record to bust through to 5 star linemen. The big football schools have these players on lockdown. You must beat them head to head with lower talent to crack the foundation of 5 star recruiting. Its a tough road to go down.

34. BGF
    9:01 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

There are going to be some years where UK can compete with the Florida’s and Auburn’s of the SEC, but UK football needs to be able to beat the Mizzou’s, Miss. St’s, and USC’s of the SEC and occasionally pull off the upset like LSU in ’07. There is nothing wrong with believing UK could/should have beaten Florida earlier this year and Auburn last night, but someone has to win and someone has to lose. It was a competitive game and I’m sure at the end of the day as a UK football fan that’s huge. As a football fan, would you rather stay for the entire game that comes down to the last play or stay for the first half because the game is already over and go back and tailgate and complain about how UK football is terrible?

The difference in this game was the line play. UK’s linemen lost their battle, which ultimately was the difference. Stoops and Co. will recruit and develop their linemen. It’s a process.

35. HowCanYouNotBeExcited
    9:01 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Get a grip people. I think fans like BTI and posts like this are the reasons it takes so long to build a winning program here. Grow up and learn the process it takes to build a program. What kind of quality coach is going to want to stay with Kentucky when they lose two CLOSE games against QUALITY teams and the fans start bitching and talking so much about how this is a basketball school. If that is the way you think, then I’d prefer you sell your tickets to real fans.
    Reality – We have lost to two teams. A Florida program that has had our number and is also UNDEFEATED and beat the #3 team in the country, and Auburn which obviously has some talent since they were the #6 preseason team but has had some trouble in the earlier games but obviously figured something out against us. You act like these are the teams of old, like Joker’s teams that were blown out even before the game started. Stoops is bringing in the players that we need to succeed and coaching them up. Now it is the time they need to learn how to handle being a good team that is expected to win every game.
    We have grown from the team that totally sucks, to the team that sucks but can upset some teams, to the team that has talent but not depth to make it through the whole season, to now being a team that has some depth and a lot of talent but needs to get that mindset of making things happen and learning to win games. And they are doing that for the most part.
    Seriously. A 5 point loss and a 3 point loss to teams that we probably didn’t think we were going to even be competitive with at the beginning of the season and now you act like this team sucks? Get a freakin grip and be a fan and encourage the team, not a homer and start raggin on the team and telling them they suck.

• Dwayne
      9:30 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Takes time??? Have you paid attn to what happened this year with Michigan? I believe our roster is as good or better than Michigan’s. Auburn and Florida are as down as they’re going to be. Have to take advantage of that if you’re going to take next step.

• 8 god
      10:57 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Right. Because Kentucky football is comparable to Michigan. Just like Michigan basketball is comparable to Kentucky.

36. carvingitup
    9:01 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I get so tired of the coaches talking about how the messed up but will get better These guys are paid big money to take care of business. When are they going to get better?

37. Corey
    9:02 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Had we won this game…you would’ve written the opposite. STOP ledging on the program when they are on the precibus of something great. It’s tiresome, but our support for this direction of this program should be unwavering right now. The staff and players deserve it.

38. Sp
    9:02 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Dawson shouldn’t be calling plays. He didn’t do it at WV and obviously is inept at the two minute drill. Running on 2nd down with 40 seconds to go and no timeouts? Then set up a Hail Mary type play on 3rd down with 3 yards to go. It’s completely backwards. We have lost two games by three points with the ball at the end driving for the win and bad play calling has screwed it up. Period. Barnhart tried everything he could to buy a bowl this year getting 8 home games, I guess it’s worked out but as was mentioned, next year we will live on the road when expectations and pressure will be even higher. We might already need to be tempering that down as we could seriously be out of bowl contention again next year.

• Nuclearcontamination
      9:11 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Dawson is an inexperienced play caller and Stoops could have gone in a different direction. Eliot is also a inexperienced DC and Stoops has three years as a head coach. What does anyone expect when it comes to bad decisions being made. Randy Sanders is looking pretty good to me right now!

• AJH
      9:12 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Comment of the tread right here. Couldn’t agree more. Those 2 play calls are what ultimately lose the game. The Baker drop was huge, but that crap will happen in any game. The 2nd and 3rd down call blow my mind. Auburn’s corners were on their heels that entire drive. Should have kept going underneath. It was working…

• pithuahua
      9:23 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I bet Sanders is laughing all the way to the bank while wearing his two national championship rings. Probably should have keep him on as OC.

• naynay
      9:26 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Randy Sanders is considered to be on of the best QB coaches in the country. I don’t get that vive from Dawson. What could have Sanders done with Towles?

39. trueblue
    9:03 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Terrible article. I question your loyalty as a fan and your columnist skills…do you check your grammar? Check yourself. #BBN #ALLIN

40. DHo
    9:03 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Hahahahahah
    BTI, my laugh is directed at you. I’ve been going to UK games every year since I was a freshman at UK in 1975. You think you’re frustrated. You’ve seen nothing. NOTHING. This is a good team and the SEC is tough. We are much better than just a handful of UK teams in the last 40 years. It’s actually very encouraging to me. We are getting there.

41. BLUGOTTI
    9:04 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

BTI I agree with you. We are never going to get over the hump if we can’t win a few games that we are not suppose to win. We had the same path ahead of us that Mizzou had the last 2 years. We are 9 points away from being unbeaten and bowl eligible 6 games into the season. Yes I see the difference in talent and I think Stoops and bunch are doing a great job. We just seem to have players that can’t get it done when it counts. Dropped passes and dropped interceptions are not on the coach. Bad reads by the QB is not on the coach. Clock Management and play calling is on the coaching staff. We sucked in all those areas last night and lost by 3. Just think if we could eliminate one mistake we win. Seems like I say the same thing every year. Mistakes and Penalties are our downfall each year. I have no clue what grey cloud hovers over this program but I long for an 8 win season and I don’t accept that we are mediocre at best. I’ll continue to ride with my CATS but I am not accepting the mediocrity and I am demanding more. It works in basketball why not football too?

• Towles' Man Bun
      9:10 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

You realize that 8 wins is still high-mediocre, right?

• BLUGOTTI
      10:36 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

8 wins may be on the high end of Mediocre but I concluded that 10 wins isn’t possible. So its the ceiling for this program.

42. BKE
    9:04 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Your grammar fell right in line with point you were trying to make. Like one person wrote above about how long you have been a fan try 50 yrs of this. I LOVE what Stopps & Company are doing & I believe they will get it done. You could see an inexperienced coach in the last 3-4 min of the game with little to know plan when rushed on offense.

• Jonesing4azee
      9:15 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

There are very few people that care about the grammar and punctuation on a sports blog.

43. Slippery Pete
    9:04 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I gave up on the notion of us being more than mediocre years ago. It’s funny to watch everyone get so excited talking bout winning 8-9 games, get their hopes all up, then crash. I won’t fall for it anymore. We’re a 6 win program at best, that’s probably the ceiling, especially with our way below average QB. It’s nice though, gives us something to past the time waiting for basketball to start. Hopefully they will stop wasting so much time talking about football on the show now.

44. KSR Spy
    9:06 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

The thing that frustrates fans and makes everyone go into basketball mode right about now is this…

We should be 6-0. Everyone realizes that we are rebuilding and we are behind the program. The problem is, our losses should have been wins.

I am perfectly fine with losing. We play good teams. If we get beaten by teams that are just far superior to us and we get outclassed, that’s fine. If we lose by 40 because of that, then I am fine with that. It’s completely understandable. The think that ANGERS me is that we lose because of simple plays that should be automatic if you’ve been playing football your whole life.

Patrick Towles – Love the guy, but he is so frustratingly inconsistent it drives me insane. Make the easy throws and throw the damn ball out of bounds when you’re getting hurried and have no options. Those two things alone drive me insane about him. If he make the easy wide open short/mid range throws and threw the ball away instead of taking huge sacks every time…I would be perfectly fine with him. Short completions and avoiding big losses extend drives. I can’t count how many times this year his terrible accuracy on short gimme throws and refusing to throw the ball away have cost us drive and points…lots of points.

Receiving Core – Catch the freakin ball. I mean, that’s pretty much it. Both of our losses this year have involved dropped passes that hit people in the numbers. If they just make a simple catch, then we are 6-0. Just catch the freakin ball if you’re open and it hits you. I would trade all of these highlight catches for just catching the simple ones. Catch…the…ball. If you can’t catch the tough stuff thats fine, great, I understand. Just catch the easy stuff.

Oline/RB’s – I am fine here. Both are consistently better. They make mistakes, but a lot of times its because they’re outmuscled or outtalented. I am fine with that. Both are building and getting better.

Defense – I am fine here too. They screw up some times, but they’re still way better than we have been in a long time. Red Zone defense for the year has been great. I am happy with our defense. Sure they aren’t all stars, but we have more talent coming in and this will only get better. I feel like our defense overachieves more times than not.

Special Teams – Go to England, find a soccer star with a strong leg, bring him here and let him kick off. Please…FG’s and PAT’s have been fine. Most importantly. Can we not find anyone in the country who can run it back more than .005 yards? Serious question.

Playcalling – Great most of the time. Most of the time plays fails is because plays make a crappy throw on an easy pass or the ball is dropped. Not a whole lot of times does the play just blow up. However, yesterday as an example, they just make calls on drives that make you think..”What the hell are you thinking? Why? Why?” We get on rolls running certain things that the other team can’t stop…then we just stop doing it for an entire half? Why? At least when we were crappy and had to run the WildKemp at least we realized it was working and just kept on doing it.

End of rant. Summation. I’ve moved into supportive, but not really caring mode because I am tired of getting my hopes up and then Kentucky football happening. It has nothing to do with anything aside from us not making the simple plays and causing us to lose games. Fundamentals.

If Auburns offense can go from not being able to run plays, to putting some really well oiled plays together in a week off, then we should be able to fix short throw accuracy and being able to catch the ball in a week. That’s all those guys should be doing all week. Throw and catch until their fingers bleed and their chests hurt.

• Dwayne
      9:32 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

That’s exactly right!

45. BourbonNBasketball
    9:09 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

When you look at the four SEC games we have played, against teams with similar or better quality players, we are 2-2. If you assume that South Carolina, Missouri, Florida, and Auburn have similar expectations year in and year out, and we are splitting wins, I think you can at least start to throw our name in to the mix of those caliber programs. In fact, I don’t think it is a stretch to say UK has surpassed SC and MIZ in the SEC hierarchy and played the other two to a combined two points. That is a huge jump from the Joker era, and as good or better than the Brooks and Morriss era. I don’t think Kentucky has a “culture” problem and I certainly don’t think this is a Coach Stoops (or Towles) issue. When Kentucky basketball loses an SEC game to a squad with 3 and 4 star recruits we gripe because we are far more talented and have a greater tradition — why would you expect our 3 and 4 star recruits to go out and beat teams with 4 and 5 star players and a history of winning, week in and week out? If you can’t see the progress, I have a hard time believing you have been a long time fan…

• BourbonNBasketball
      9:11 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

*Combined 8 points

46. Terry Saunders
    9:11 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Heres what I see, and I swear reporters are a bunch of nanny-wah-wahs because no one asks tough questions, why has this not been asked. What is the deal with all the confusion with the coaching staff on this team during critical moments in the game. Stoops looks confused on the sidelines all the time when the heat is on. Has shown with numerous issues of too many men on field, last night 8 on a punt, I have never, ever seen this. We need a coach who can think fast on his feet and Mark Stoops isn’t it. Im sorry but this guy is totally confused in key situations, does not manage clock well ever, in any game when things are getting crucial. We pay this guy millions, poor two minute drills are not bang for the buck.

• Towles' Man Bun
      9:30 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I agree. I saw at least 2 of his assistants yelling at Stoops during the confusion. That can’t happen, and it tells me all I need to know about the competence of this staff in pressure situations.

47. AlinIndy
    9:14 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

In his 3rd year and we’ve been more competitive in these 3 than what we were over the entire Joker experiment….My only complaint is that we can’t seem to get two good halves together…..

48. bill blaydes
    9:17 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

The Last time we only lost one game was 1977 and Stoops has something in common with Curci he is bringing a lot of players with him he has broke into his past connections to bring in a lot of players from outside the State while his ast. are setting up recruiting in new places. Curci when he left Florida brought a lot of players with him and had quality depth that Ky hasn’t had since. Brooks and his 2 main CO’S ALL three former head Coaches and you can count the number of players those 3 brought in all there time at UK on one hand so there was not enough quality depth to take the program any farther hopefully Stoops is bringing in enough quality player from outside the state and is bringing in enough transfers, Juco to replace the players who leave to take this team to a level of Curci’s time. Curci could not keep his hold on Florida It appears our Ohio connection is only getting better. Florida was a better team then we thought and I think the extra week off has given Auburn a chance to right their ship. I hoped that Brooks had turned the tables but I don’t think any Coach at UK can win or deserves to win who refuses to recruit and dosen’t require his ast. to recruit their past time will tell but I believe Stoops is on the right track a lot like the 1976 team remember this is his first Head Coaching job so he is learning also.

• fatbrat
      9:31 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I agree that the 1977 team was great and one of my favorites, but lets not forget there were a lot of underhanded activities going on with Curci and his staff to get those players.

49. Slippery Pete
    9:22 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Good thing we scheduled a cupcake later in the season, or this year would be an exact repeat of last year, win 5 games early then go winless the rest of the season. They’ll have to give away tickets in about 2-3 weeks. I don’t see us having a chance in any game besides Charlotte, even Loserville will probably beat us at this point. Maybe we can get Vandy, but with Towles, who knows. It’s time for Barker to get in there and take his hits, so he’s ready to lead this team next year. Gonna be hard to keep people here playing with a QB that can’t get a pass close to you.

• 8 god
      11:04 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

“It’s time for Barker to get in there and take his hits, so he’s ready to lead this team next year.”

Do you follow UK football?

50. MED in Malaysia
    9:25 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

As I couldn’t watch the game being 12 time zones away, I am sure my perspective isn’t the same as everyone else. But this whole situation is truly a matter of perspective.

The only two recent coaches that were truly on the verge of doing something significant left before the job was done. We weren’t willing to pay Guy Morris enough to keep him from leaving for the state of Texas where he had connections. Papaw Brooks was ready to retire to the links & the lakes after he had groomed Joker who turned out to be an absolute joke. I for one thought he could carry on the good work. How he managed to reduce the program to such a sad state in such a short period of time is still impossible for me to understand.

Now we have Mark Stoops who is being coveted by fans from historically successful football programs. I personally prefer that we show a bit more patience and give him a fair chance to completely recover from the Joker “deconstruction” project.

If we start acting like a university that wants to have a successful football program, we will do everything possible to keep him here until he gets the job done.

51. omegastu
    9:25 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

This post pisses me off so much because its true.

52. Theoph
    9:26 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

The reason Kentucky lost last night is that we’re still don’t have all the pieces to win over good SEC competition who don’t make any turnovers. To do that we have to be faster, bigger, and better coached. We’re not there yet and we still have too many inconsistencies.

• KSR Spy
      9:41 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

The loss last night, just like Florida had nothing to do with talent. UK should have won, but our team, especially on offense, doesn’t do the basics well. Auburn has a ton of talent and the defense made stands where they needed to. That was the best game offensively Auburn has played all year. Had almost nothing to do with our defense.

If Patrick makes the easy throws/makes smart choices with the football and our receivers make the simple catches…we probably win by 2 touchdowns. It’s our fundamentals, not our talent, athleticism, or skill level.

53. Poppschmidty
    9:34 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Because we don’t ride in on bandwagons. We stay til the game is over (if our BAC allows it) and we stay with this team no matter what. Go Cats!

54. Jason M.
    9:43 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Because we are better, that’s how I remain patient. Before we can win 8 games, we got to learn how to win, we’re doing that this season. Before we can win 8 games, we got to learn how to win 6. Hopefully we do that this season. I’ll take growth before I take irrational demands of a program that has been in the gutter for the last four years. We’re getting better, in the last four years we’d say, “All we want is a team that will compete, and not get blown out.” Now we got that team and all you say is, “All I want is the best team in the East.” I really don’t get it, we’re on schedule. Don’t get ahead of yourself, the talent is coming, I really believe we’ve only had 2 years of Stoops recruits, because he got like what? 2 good recruits his first year because he came on so late in the recruiting season. Then I know one of those is already gone and playing in Baltimore. Drops happen on every team. So do bumps in the road. Be greateful we’re not kentucky of 4 years ago. Be proud that we’ve made progress and hopefully get 2 more wins and make a bowl. Which is what our goal was to begin the season. Don’t move the goal post just because you came out strong.

• Mr. Mojo
      10:44 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Yes! So many people seem to think that because we as fans have suffered for all these years, somehow it ought to be fixed overnight. Good grief, look at what’s in front of you and recognize the obvious progress. It’s not perfect, but no reasonable fan should expect it to be with young talent. Better days are coming, if you don’t drive the coach away with your fantasy expectations.

55. BlueRedneck
    9:45 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

BTI, first, I will answer the question that you ask – We do it with the assistance of lots of alcohol.

Second, I will say this. I am about as frustrated as anyone with the errors being made on the field and the questionable coaching decisions. However, we have both a young team and a young coaching staff. Both are lacking in experience, and both are learning. Stoops has done a great job recruiting, and I think he has some good connections to help him learn, but let’s face it, he is untested as a head coach, and our offensive and defensive coordinators are inexperienced as well. I think these guys are going to learn and improve their decisions, and I think the players are going to get better. The coaches are not stupid. They are learning. The future is still bright for UK football, even though it is maddeningly frustrating right now.

BTW, the writers at KSR would do well to pay an English major to do a quick proof-read of their articles before they are posted. I realize you guys are under a deadline, and are probably up late with little sleep posting your stuff, but letting another set of eyes read through it to catch all the silly errors will go a long way towards making things look more professional.

56. Dwayne
    9:46 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

After the Florida game a caller suggest sure if Barker was the QB he probably would’ve thrown a couple more TD’s but a few INT’s. UHHH that’s exactly what Towles did except he didn’t throw the TD’s and Matt agreed. Neither realized that we would’ve won the game under the callers scenario. That pretty much sums up the intellect and expectations of typical football fans.

If we’re going to take the next step we have to take advantage of years when Auburn & Florida are down. Stop the well if I told you we’d be 4-2……. JUST STOP IT! As the season progresses we have to evaluate how good our opponents are and what our expectations should be, not off preseason polls! We should’ve beat Auburn and Florida, we should’ve lost to EKU! What does that say about our program? I’m really not sure…. The talent is way better than previous years yet we haven’t seen a signature win yet. Sure we’ve South Carolina 2 yrs in a row, but looking back is that all that impressive? I LOVE STOOPS, let me be clear about that. But I can’t help but notice how Michigan has come off atrocious seasons and seem to instantly turn it around with probably less talent than we have.

Bottom line is coaches and players have to do a better job!

• Poppschmidty
      9:59 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I promise you…Michigan has better talent than us. They’re a blue blood program and will always get recruits for that reason. Comparing Harbaugh to Stoops (numerous posts on here have) is one of the most moronic comparisons I’ve ever had. It’d be like putting Shaka Smart on the same level as Cal. Stoops is the right guy; so I agree with you there, but lets not put the cart before the horse. If this was Joker ball we’d be o-for right now. Go Cats! Music City or bust!

• Dwayne
      10:34 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

My point is 3 yrs in we have to win these games against Florida and Auburn when they’re down or you never will. Stoops doesn’t have a signature win 2 1/2 yrs in and that’s concerning!

57. Jimbob Bautista
    9:54 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

BTI sucks.

58. ok
    10:06 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

KSR’s relentless positive hype of the program doesn’t help the sad souls who believe it because they are reading it on the internet so it has to be true. I’m not saying KSR has to be negative but if they were objective and unbiased for a change it might help the ridiculous expectations that they fuel. I’m 30 years in and I’ve seen Tim COuch.

59. Brad Hannah
    10:08 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Some of these posts are utter non-sense. No one anywhere expected this team this year to be 8-4. Most thought 6-6, 7-5 if we got lucky. To say this is the same old Kentucky Football is stupid and spoken by someone who has no clue what they are talking about. Years past this game wouldn’t have even been on TV much less a tightly contested game on prime time. This team is getting better and I believe we have the best coach for the job. We can second guess decisions made but guess what its easy as hell to do when you are at home watching it on tv. They are the coaches, we are not. Support your team don’t trash it. This is why when we do get a good coach or start having success, they get the hell out of dodge, dumb ass people who have no patience. And as for the dumb ass who thinks we have better talent than Michigan, ah never mind. Not worth my time.

60. Heath
    10:16 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

Poll any visiting fan into Rupp Arena these same questions… how does the SEC in basketball ever want to keep pushing that rock up the hill only to watch it come steamrolling them down when they think of approaching UK.

Football matters. The SEC is rough. The talent is vastly improved. For anyone reading who doesn’t want their UT or UofL tickets, contact me. Thanks.

61. Chad
    10:34 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

BTI, since you asked, I’ll give you the answer that works for me. But it requires a little context.

In each of the last 20 or so years of UK football, we’ve had a few games every year where the team has simply been whipped. I’m talking about the dispiriting ones where we’ve lost by 30, 40 or 50 points. In those cases, the team was flatly outclassed.

While I’m not confident that this year’s team will see a marked improvement in terms of the record, I do think are better in one significant way: they will compete in every game. I don’t think they will get crushed by any of the teams remaining on the schedule, except maybe Georgia. We’ll win some of those close games, like we have against South Carolina and Missouri, but we’ll lose some of those close games as well, like Florida and Auburn. I believe the rest of the season will play out this same way. I’ll take this year’s scenario over any of the past 20 some odd years because of that.

Why continue to root for UK football, even though they continue to struggle? I grew up in Kentucky and graduated from UK in 94. I’ll be loyal to my alma mater. But there’s more to it than that. I grew up in southeastern Kentucky, the part that every other part of the country calls stupid, poor and backwards. I’ve always had a sense of pride of being successful in spite of those supposed flaws, pulling myself up by my own bootstraps. And that’s why I closely identify with the UK football program, far more than the UK basketball program. For the UK football program to be successful, it will be a long hard slog. It will take years. They will have to earn it. Frankly, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

One last piece of advice: change your expectations. Don’t define a minimum number of wins. Like Stoops, expect for this team to compete in every game. If you think of it that way, everything will line up appropriately.

62. Still Angry
    10:35 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

I have said all along this team is a year away because of recruiting. Mack Brown said early into the game we need patience because talented players are on their way which told me he had little faith we could win the game. I agreed with him because I knew Auburn’s team from QB, O-Line and Defense were going to look like a Sugar Bowl bound team because of UK’s ineptness of containment. It turned out to be true, again!

Yes, help is on the way. The O-Line will get better and the Defense will get better, but I have no faith Towles will get better. He continues to have so many missed passes, both long and short. Receivers continually have to show superb catches to catch any of them. The long passes are never on target where the receiver can just catch them and go. So, we are two years away for QB because for some reason coach refuses to even see or let us see why he won’t change.

Yes, I am frustrated with the play calling during the last series, but I want to mention the rest of the game first. I was really encouraged early on with the play calling especially the very first drive of the game starting with a passing play and then a run. It is generally the opposite and we struggle, but not last night. The rest of the game showed we could do the short passes, but they didn’t stay with it enough. Why in the world is CJ Conrad a forgotten guy in the offense until late into the game, WHY, the guy is a hoss, put the harness on him he can pull team downfield, WHY???? Now back to the last series: First play with little time after already squandering about 12 seconds before a time out they run the ball, they make a pass play to the outside, but pass inside the receiver so he can’t get to the sideline. Then that really stupid run play that he knew Dawson knew he would get crucified for, WHY??? When you are managing seconds, especially with happy foot, lock on your receiver Towles you never ever try to run the ball, WHY???

Finally, it should come as no surprise to any of us coach messed up by not bringing in a special teams coach because we basically have no special team(s) and we have no punt returner.

63. Ross
    11:11 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

BTI you could always start cheering for your alma mater WKU in football

64. Tony
    11:48 am October 16, 2015 Permalink

BTI, GERAT READ…. Been watching the exact article you just wrote on the field for 40 YEARS ! This program is a 6 win at best for LIFE!

65. Rick
    12:26 pm October 16, 2015 Permalink

Once again a fan who only wants the wins to show their support surfaces and makes comments that show how short sighted they can be. Yes, I have been a fan for over 50 years and for a UK fan to have the knowledge we are in every game shows where this program is going. Quit following the program if you have such little faith and support. Tell me when we have ever had the quality of recruits coming to our program and showing they are winning, do you want to go back to 2 or 3 wins per year. The fan base for UK really needs to show this group of coaches, players and boosters we are all in!!

66. woohop1
    12:44 pm October 16, 2015 Permalink

Bryan…….you are an IDIOT….and so are any others that agree with you. If you cannot see the difference with Stoop’s mission/process then you need to leave BBN and gom support some other team. Come to think of it…….IDIOT is too soft of a description for your view.

67. U of L Fan
    1:41 pm October 16, 2015 Permalink

Not a flame…….

I think you can see real progress in the talent level. While UK is not at the Bama/LSU talent level, they should be able to compete with the teams just below that level. UF is one of the top teams in the SEC and UK should have beat them. Auburn has a lot of talent and UK could have easily won.

College football comes down to coaching.

UK has just never had the great, charismatic coach who could turn a program around. If UK would have hired Schnelly when they had the chance, they could be a national power now. There have been many other missed opportunities along the way to hire a great coach.

Stoops appears to be great recruiter but not an elite coach-too many mistakes repeated week after week and playing up or down to the level of competition-that falls on the coaching staff.

While I don’t consider U of L a national power by any means, they have done much more with much less over the past 30 years.

There is no reason UK shouldn’t be a consistent threat to win the SEC East other than they have never had the right man in the driver’s seat.

68. Me
    2:40 pm October 16, 2015 Permalink

bryan the intern (closet loserville fan) = the new jerry tipton

69. aaron
    4:37 pm October 16, 2015 Permalink

Tired of having tired having moral vicotries. Uk had a chance to prove they had changed and this wasnt your same uk team however they blew that with wide recievers dropping passes, kicking game struggling, coaching decisions,. If uk is lucky they might win six games. They will beat charlotte and vandy and maybe ul not sure they will beat anyone else in sec. Uk has a lot of talent and that is the frustrating part. We see so much talent but yet they are struggling and maybe uk is just cursed.