BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Have You Ever Cheered Against the Cats?

Image result for kentucky robert morris

I had an interesting conversation with a friend this weekend who is, like many fans right now, a little concerned about the current state of the basketball program.  His main issue is simply if John Calipari truly has the best interests of the University of Kentucky in mind day in and day out.  Or is winning secondary to him and simply pushing as many guys professionally his top priority.  I think it’s a legitimate question but not one that I am diving in today.  The post for today concerns a comment he made during our conversation:

“At the end of the day it really doesn’t matter because I’ll keep cheering for UK no matter what”

That comment struck me because I began to wonder if I felt the same way.  Are there circumstances where I would ever cheer against the Cats?

Being upfront, I think there is one obvious situation where you can cheer against UK and that is if they are playing your alma mater.  I don’t think it makes you any less of a fan to also support the school you attended against the Cats.  It’s a tough situation to be in for many and I know as a WKU alum that when the Tops beat UK in football 2 years running that I was torn but not totally upset.

Taking that situation out of the question, are there other circumstances where you would cheer against the Cats?

I can think of only one time where I thought to myself during a game “I really would be happy if we just lost this game”.  That circumstance occurred in 2013 during the NIT against Robert Morris.  We obviously know that team and season well as it was unquestionably Cal’s worst team.  Even before the Noel injury, that team was really struggling and was looking at a very mediocre seed in the NCAA Tournament.  Once Noel went down, it was basically one bad performance after another, none of which was more embarrassing than the SEC Tournament performance against Vanderbilt.

But even after all of that, I was still on board with supporting the team all the way through the NIT.  I even thought it was kinda cool we had to go to Robert Morris and play on their home floor.  I truly believed we would go in and smash the little underdog that the group of less talented players they were.  And then UK fell behind in that game 10-0.

I remember that moment vividly because I turned to my girlfriend (now wife) and said to her “I honestly don’t care if they win this game”.  Now, I wasn’t actively cheering for Robert Morris during that game but I remember being miserable watching that team struggle to score against a bunch of scrubs.  I remember that outside of Archie Goodwin, nobody was giving a lick of effort.  And I remember as the Cats came back to tie the game late thinking to myself “I hope they don’t pull this out because I don’t want to watch them again”.  In the end, they didn’t pull it out and the season was over.

I’ve often thought about was a wrong to wish losing on that team in that moment.  I am sure they were trying harder than I give them credit for.  And I am sure Robert Morris is better than I wanted to believe.  But it sure didn’t appear that way on TV and frankly they didn’t seem to care if they won so why should I?

I’ve never cheered against the Cats since or come close to feeling like I did that night.  I never felt that way in the Tubby and Billy years either.  Something about that team bothered me so much I was cheering against their success.  Is there a REALISTIC circumstance where you would cheer against UK?  For instance, if the UL scandals happened here, would you still cheer for Cats?  What about the Michigan State scandal?  How bad does it have to get for you to turn on your lifelong fanhood?  Maybe it’s nothing but I found the conversation interesting and I wondered if the feelings of my friend were shared by most.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

46 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Have You Ever Cheered Against the Cats?

1. Smyrna_Cat
    10:02 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

• jahanc2uky
      1:41 pm April 23, 2018 Permalink

How about our coach has relations with a woman at a restaurant and embrasses the school in a trial that sends that woman to jail. Then a few years later, he embrasses the school with a pay for play scandal and recruiting violations that involve strippers? Then, the AD will not fire the coach, because he is winning. Yes, I would root against my team, in the hopes it would mean our embrassment of a coach was fired. A scenario like this could NEVER happen.

2. Kat4Life
    10:12 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

Lord no…….never…….

3. CoachCat
    10:13 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

Blasphemy. GO BIG BLUE TILL I DIE

4. Duuuuuude
    10:14 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

No, but I think we show we care by showing up and buying tickets. When I care I buy tickets and when I don’t care I don’t.

5. No. However, I can’t say I was sorry after the Bobby Mo game, but that was more like putting the season out of it’s misery than any thought of cheering against my beloved Cats.

6. bosch8184
    10:16 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

First round every SEC Tournament. If we make it to the finals, sure might as well win it at that point. But I’d like us to just put in our mandatory appearance and get out of there healthy for the tournament, don’t care about yet another stupid SEC tourney title. We’ve won about 57,000 of them in my life time.

Look at this year practice for it cost us JV for the NCAA.

7. 3Goggles
    10:23 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

Yes….if a loss guaranteed BTI wouldn’t write any more stupid articles

• crazycatfan65
      11:17 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

You can just as easily NOT read the “stupid article” as you can to read it. Don’t blame anyone for doing their job when you have the choice to read it or not. It is YOUR FAULT for reading it. Do us all a favor and go read Card Chronicle or the dUKe boards.

• 3Goggles
      9:27 am April 24, 2018 Permalink

^^^BTI’s burner account

8. ClutchCargo
    10:25 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

BTI has proven to me that there is, in fact, such a thing as a stupid question. And yes, you are less of a UK fan if you ever cheer for another team against UK under any circumstances.

• crazycatfan65
      11:22 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

If BTI is a stupid person for writing this article, since this is his job, what does that say about you when you not only took the time to read this “stupid article” but commented on it? Do you ever have anything nice to say about any of the writers here? It must really suck being you dude.

• ClutchCargo
      11:34 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

Butthurt much? Feel free to not read my comments, and enjoy the rest of your day.

9. Jay17282
    10:26 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

I can’t undo his UK tattoo and I did it knowing I would never not love big blue

10. rickwhitetx
    10:28 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

Hold it a minute! Your first statement is blatantly false. The program is in the best shape it’s been in for my entire memory, and I go back to the Dan Issel era. After that opening comment by you, the rest of the article is meaningless.

11. jsh2001
    10:31 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

I was at the Robert Morris game. I wanted us to win but it was also one of the coolest, most fun environments I have ever been in for a basketball game.

12. Catuary
    10:38 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

Clickbait headline to garbage article. There really mustn’t be much to write about right now.

13. unbridled
    10:39 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

I would not root against the basketball team unless they somehow morphed into recruiting complete losers and irrelevancy. The football team just needs a new coaching staff as soon as a viable hire is available.

14. kdsmith10000
    10:57 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

Nope, graduated from EKU and everytime the Cats and Colonels play, I’m hoping UK smashes them like any other team. I went to EKU, I was born and raised a UK fan.

15. Mathlete
    11:05 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

Even at the end of the Billy G era, I cheered for the team even though I hoped Barnhart would replace him. Same with the end of the Joker era. I feel like I can cheer for the team while hoping for a coaching change.

Even if the shoe were on the other foot and we had been the school involved in all of the Louisville scandals, I would still cheer for UK and want a change at the same time

• Kernel Sanders
      11:37 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

Agree with this. I admit that in the last year of Gillispie’s tenure, I didn’t care so much when we lost, because I was convinced by then that he didn’t belong here and losing was the quickest way to be rid of him. However, the embarrassing losses to low level teams were just a no win situation.

If a Michigan State or UofL type scandal hit UK, I would hope I could be a bit objective and not blindly defend Pitino or Jurich like actions. I’d want a change, encourage a house-cleaning, admit we screwed up ….but why would I not still support UK (my alma mater)?

16. UKLugo
    11:08 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

Umm. No. Never.

17. Longtimefanandalmum
    11:13 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

The only time I wanted us to lose was Billy G’s last year in the NIT. I thought an early NIT exit would solidify his firing and lead to a better coaching hire which would lead us to more success–which it did.

18. lexcatfan2367
    11:14 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

Not now. Not ever. This article is garbagewater and I should be ashamed of myself for reading such swill.

19. RackEmWillie
    11:15 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

Actively cheer against? I can’t see that happening, unless I had a family connection who was a featured player on a team playing UK. Then I’d probably be split.

Have I been happy they have lost? Sometimes. At the end of the Billy G era (error?) I was fine when they were losing games, because I knew what it meant in the long run.

If there was a scandal like the UofL and FBI one, I’d probably still be around. Something like Michigan State or Penn State, that’d be a tough call. That’s a bad situation to think about.

20. 4everUKblue
    11:17 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

With articles like this one you might want to choose another line of work.

• crazycatfan65
      11:25 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

Or maybe you need to find another board to read.

• Megan
      2:26 pm April 23, 2018 Permalink

Crazy, we heard you the first time. No need to step in every time someone expresses the same criticism. As everyone knows, BTI sucks. Since when did you start carrying his jock strap?

21. lexcatfan2367
    11:18 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

And another thing: what is the current state of Kentucky basketball? Like I said the other day, this is unnecessary anxiety posts like these cause. Go Cats!

22. Sentient Third Eye
    11:23 am April 23, 2018 Permalink

There have been several times over the years when I turned off the game and said, “If the players don’t care who wins, why should I?”, but that’s as far as I have gotten.

• Alleykat16
      12:24 pm April 23, 2018 Permalink

Never have and never will. I could not ever imagine a circumstance that would make me say I hope we lose. For ever and ever GO BIG BLUE!

• Megan
      2:49 pm April 23, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, I stopped watching a couple of times. Sometimes the writing’s on the wall. When the team makes no apparent effort to change the complexion of the game, when obviously what they’re doing isn’t working, it’s hard to watch to the end..

There was one game this year, no doubt around the doldrums, when I gave up any hope of a comeback and wished they’d lose by 30+ simply because the embarrassment might shock them into their senses. I thought that might be the only good that could come of it.

23. az1006
    12:01 pm April 23, 2018 Permalink

I’ve never cheered against Kentucky, and really couldn’t do it. But I remember watching that Robert Morris game, and my mentality was similar. I expected us to roll them, but once the game got going, it really became glaring how bad that team was, and how many holes it had. I didn’t cheer against them, and I wouldn’t even say I hoped to lose, but when the final buzzer sounded…It was almost a relief that it was finally over. I was just happy to be able to put that season behind us and move forward. The normal emotions of sadness, shock, or anger that comes with a loss weren’t there. It was pure apathy. Quite frankly, that’s way worse.

24. John Henry
    12:29 pm April 23, 2018 Permalink

No. BTI you are not being serious are you? I didn’t think so.

25. CatstopWontstop
    12:29 pm April 23, 2018 Permalink

First, the answer to you initial question is putting guys in the league. Cal has blatantly said so in various ways since he’s been here. I think Cal wants to win, and wants his teams to win, but his #1 priority is the success of the players during and after their time at UK. “Players First!”

I’ve never wanted Kentucky to lose a game in any sport ever. The only time I ever considered it was when there was a buzz in the air that Bobby Pitrino might be hired as the replacement for Joker. Even then, I wouldn’t have rooted against UK, I simply was prepared to pretend the football team didn’t exist until ‘ole Bobby was out and a new coaching staff brought in.

26. runningunnin.454
    12:57 pm April 23, 2018 Permalink

HELL…NO! Absurd question.

27. BBNDan7
    1:08 pm April 23, 2018 Permalink

Y’all actually pay this man?

28. King_tucky
    1:40 pm April 23, 2018 Permalink

This is Blasphemy

29. ukcamel
    4:08 pm April 23, 2018 Permalink

Actually rooting for EKU or anyone else against UK does make you less of a fan. That’s fine, and I’m not telling anyone who to root for, but your statement is just plain wrong.

If I had a son (maybe a nephew, but probably not) playing against UK, I’d root against UK for those games, because being a father is more important than being a UK alum/fan. Other than that, I’ll root for UK every time they play.

30. njCat
    4:15 pm April 23, 2018 Permalink

If the coach is obviously failing and there is little hope of turning things around (e.g. Joker), then to hope for more losses is logical. Sometimes you need a total collapse before you can rebuild. To accept mediocrity and support a failing program shows you don’t really care about the long term success of the program.

I would never cheer for the other team, but i would welcome trouncings to force the inevitable. Ever read Atlas Shrugged?

31. catsarerunnin
    4:39 pm April 23, 2018 Permalink

Slater roots against them all the time and he’s a great fan…..

32. chris43
    5:08 pm April 23, 2018 Permalink

No, never have nor will I…GO BIG BLUE!

33. Dave Ball
    7:04 pm April 23, 2018 Permalink

…in the late 80s, early 90s living in Oregon so my dad could get his “forest ranger” fix, he bought one of those monster satellite dishes (like NORAD size) specifically so we could pull UK games (during those dark years of national TV ban)…he had me call the local Kentucky stations to get their feed info and we would tap into their raw broadcasts (no commercials–either black screen or dead air with camera roving)…probably bordering on committing some form of piracy, but hey, at least I was asking permission–maybe they just felt our pain and turned a blind eye since we were so far away from Kentucky and STILL wanting to cheer on our CATS (ban be damned)…the last time I didn’t watch a full season (every game) here in Oregon was because I was in a “serious relationship”–the Cats lost to Robert Morris in the NIT and I became celibate. Would rather live the life of a stoic monk than root against UK (let alone miss another damn game)…plus, I think she was a Gator fan…shudder