BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Hall of Fame Inductee #8, John Short

johnshort-ryan-drew
John with yesterday’s Hall of Fame Inductee, Ryan Lemond……and another guy

by Tyler Thompson

“You’re a great American.”

Outside of the Big Blue Nation, those words hold a simple, patriotic meaning, a compliment of the highest regard. For longtime UK sports talk show listeners, it’s the signature greeting of John Short. For more than two decades, Short has been a fixture on the UK talk show circuit, going back to the days of Cawood Ledford. Short is the BBN’s eternal optimist, never missing the chance to call in to talk about his Cats or give his “bigguns” prediction. How much do fans love John Short? These days, a pregame show isn’t complete without his greeting and score prediction, to the point that it’s a frequent question on the KSR live blog. What’s the spread? Who cares. How many bigguns did John Short say we’d win by?

John Short is legally blind, but he’s still able to see some things close-up, so when he goes to Rupp Arena to see Kentucky play, he takes a binoculars to get whatever glimpse he can of the Cats. He also wears his headphones to make sure he doesn’t miss a second of Tom Leach and Mike Pratt’s call, along with Matt’s pregame and postgame shows, of course. Short’s limited vision doesn’t define him; when he’s not listening to UK sports talk, he’s bagging groceries at the Romany Road Kroger. Want to meet him in person? Tune into the radio show, he shares his schedule each time he calls.

Over the years, Short has become a KSR celebrity, and we’ve been able to share some pretty cool experiences with him. Short was able to meet Goose Givens, his all-time favorite UK player, at a pregame show last season, cover a UK Hoops game back in 2012, get his picture with Mark Stoops at the Lexington tour stop, and even throw out the first pitch at the Lexington Legends game last month. True story: meeting Goose Givens was the first time Short has been rendered speechless.For keeping the fan base positive, making us smile, and being one of the most passionate Kentucky fans on the planet, John Short, you, sir, are a great American.

Please put your thoughts and messages for John into the comments section so he can see how much he is appreciated by the UK fanbase and this website.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

49 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Hall of Fame Inductee #8, John Short

1. Liberty
    9:07 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

John, I always enjoy your calls and your positive attitude. Thank you, and keep calling. I also agree with your politics!

• Champ
      9:20 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

^^ and YOU should call into the show more!! you sound like you’d be such a delight to chat with

2. "KJ"
    9:10 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

John Short is A Great American!!! He is what Kentucky fans are all about. Supporting the team in both good times and bad. Keep it up John. You are the Man!!!

3. jon
    9:10 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

I always smile when I here his positivity. Many people would have better lives if they would drop the sarcasm and smile every now and then.

• J-Dub421
      9:38 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Amen Jon. I couldn’t have said it any better. John Short is a great American!

4. Kristen
    9:13 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

There is nothing more I want in life to be called a great American by John Short while wearing my American flag shorts.

• Sarah
      9:54 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

While wearing a cats jersey and an American flag cape
      Love,
      your other favorite American and CATS fan

5. Shane
    9:15 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Always a pleasure to hear John call in. Keep the calls coming John the BBN loves you brother!

6. DREWBLUE
    9:17 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

John Short is the reason the BBN is the best fan base in the world. No John Short, YOU are a great American.

7. Drew Greenlee
    9:17 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

I make a point to only go to the Romany Road Kroger for the one and only reason that they employ John Short. If it means waiting in line an extra 10 minutes, I’ll do it as long as John is the one bagging my groceries so I can say to him “It’s not a good day until I hear you call in to Matt, Ryan and Drew…and how many bigguns are we winning by tonight?”, and he always, ALWAYS says “Well I told em how many bigguns.”.

This man defies logic, challenges prejudice, and is the unimpeded voice of the Kentucky sports fan. I love him as we all do. Those who know him know what a “biggun” is, and will never answer John Short’s question of “Plastic or Paper”. If you don’t already know the answer, get in another line.

• Mike
      9:19 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

You get in the other line because you actually want to get your stuff bagged correctly.

8. Hump Ditty-Ditty
    9:21 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

What a perfect example of a great Kentucky fan, and a great American. I love his calls after a big win, and his positivity after a humbling loss. A salute to you John Short.

9. Carlton Banks
    9:21 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

The article puts it best as I’m no writer. He is always optimistic and I hope one day the Vegas odds makers stop calling it “spread” and start calling it “bigguns”. YOU ARE A GREAT AMERICAN.

10. eric
    9:27 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

The best caller on KSR! Absolutely love when he calls in, simply the best. Thanks John!

11. truebluethroughandthrough
    9:31 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

John is what KSR is all about. It makes my ears perk up when I hear that John Short is on the line. He’s always positive and Always there to make us smile on KSR. Keep it up John!

12. CATandMONKEY
    9:31 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Congratulations Johhny Short! You received my vote. If I miss a KSR show prior to a game I text one of my buds to find out how many bigguns were predicted. Must admit though, I appreciate John’ more “optimistic” predictions over the 5-10 point spreads he was predicting often this season. Why Not fifty bigguns?

13. Ray
    9:33 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Mr. Short is a great American, a great Kentuckian, and a great Democrat.

14. CATandMONKEY
    9:34 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Not to mention the John Short call a couple years ago when KSR had its usual technical difficulties that left John live on the air sans Matt and Ryan. Trus KSR radio gold.

• CATandMONKEY
      9:35 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

“True”

15. the anti cat
    9:42 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Life long card fan but you cannot deny that john short and chester, for their undying alliegance to UK, are both great americans.

16. ThatCrackerBZ
    9:50 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

John Short always has a great attitude. His support for Kentucky Athletics never waivers. Furthest thing from a fair-weather fan. Unlike many, he is a REAL Kentucky fan.

17. Blue Elvis
    9:56 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

One word….. Passion! Thanks John!

18. The Real JD
    9:57 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Johnny Short is the greatest liberal of all time! Just kidding John, always look forward to your calls and your political point of view!

I think KSR should set you up with your own time once a day, every day, to call in and talk some. I think all the great Americans would love that! Right people?

19. Cheercat9
    10:03 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

I can only hope we (BBN) can give back just a portion of the positive outlook that Mr. John Short and his daily calls bring to us all. A Great American you are Mr. Short!

20. John Short, I haven’t lived in Lexington in ages, nor been back in ages, but if and when I do get back, I want to do at least 3 things I haven’t done before: 1) see a UK football game in Commonwealth, 2) se the Kentucky Horse Park, and 3) to come meet you at Kroger! Keep that attitude and keep calling fella! It does us all some good. Blessings.

21. Well, the Reply feature doesn’t seem to be working…

22. brad
    10:10 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

John Short = Great American =”yes indeedy” John Short is the best!

23. CatsFaninLex
    10:28 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Dammit – my employer has blocked iHeart with Websense. Anyone know another way to listen online?

24. Ben
    10:41 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

John Short is awesome. Chester, on the other hand, makes our fan base look like the dumbest in the country, thanks to his stupid conspiracy theories and small brain.

25. Tim
    10:43 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

The two best callers in the country are Robert from Iowa and John Short

26. Kadizkat
    11:21 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Congtrats to you John Short, you sir, are, in deed, a great American. I always love your picks!!!

27. jarrodprickettssecretstash
    11:28 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Don’t let the haters or anyone else get your joy, John Short! You, are indeed, a damn fine American!

28. JPL
    11:36 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

John Short, A conservative voice of reason in a far left world. Thank you John Short for setting the standard.

29. Lisa
    11:47 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

Love your calls and you are always so positive!! You, John, are a Great American!

30. Bn1959
    11:49 am August 13, 2014 Permalink

John I enjoy all your calls. You sir are A Great American. Go Cats

31. Adam
    12:29 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

John is hands down the biggest fan UK has and one of the best and most entertaining parts of the show. I love his predictions and optimism. Keep it up John, the Cats need you.

32. JPT
    1:08 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

I love anytime John Short calls into the radio shows.

33. Bobby Petrino
    1:43 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Yes Indeedy! KSR is not the same without John Short, his passion and dedication to the BBN is first class, and unmatched. Mitt Romney would be proud to call you a great American

34. LudlowBluefan
    1:47 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

John, i’m a liberal UK fan. But i respect your views and hope you respect mine.. Were all great Americans if we bleed Blue. lol . Think were going to win by a bunch of biggens this year in football and basketball. Best of Luck to you ..

35. Joseph Schroer
    2:54 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Johnny Short, you are a great guy and great American. Keep calling KSR. Thank you, Kentucky Joe.

36. Sir Brandon
    3:20 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

John Short, you art a great American and the Baron of the Bigguns!!

37. ajhjack
    4:07 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

John Short, we love ya! Great ambassador for BBN!

38. Paul
    6:12 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Never have such universal accolades been so well deserved. Mr Short is a kind, considerate gentleman,courteous to all, never speaking ill of anyone. His unconditional enthusiasm for UK is so refreshing. He sets a great example for me to cut back on complaints and criticism. Good Bless you John.