BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Female Journalist Treatment Needs to be Examined

I hope you’ve already seen the video above but if you haven’t, and you’re a man, you need to.  Be careful, the language in it is very NSFW although it is beeped out.  But 2 female sportswriters sat down with your everyday sports male fan and had them read some of the tweets that they have received during their time in the sports industry.  It’s not secret that women have always had a hard time breaking into the business of sports journalism and once they are there trying to receive praise from the male sports fan.  It’s insane that we accept the Skip Bayless’ and Stephen A. Smith’s of the world but quality journalists like the women in the video above and many others are consistently facing sexist, violent, and unbelievable criticism.  Think about some of the AWFUL journalists that write for newspapers and on television.  Nobody says to them “I hope you are raped”.  I have listened to Sarah Spain on ESPN Radio for many weekends and she is awesome!  And then you hear the tweets that people have sent her and it’s just sad for the human race, especially the male gender.

Bringing it back home I think it’s a good time to say that it’s not just national journalists who have to face this.  Female newscasters and sports journalists at all levels have to deal with constant criticism of things that have very little to do with their job, such as their clothes or looks or voice.  But squeaky voiced me was on the radio in different formats for 7 years and never heard one thing about my voice.  Go check out Tyler Thompson’s mentions sometimes on Twitter.  And while many/most of the vile things said to her are from rival fans, some of them are from the UK fanbase!  I’d love to do a study sometimes and have Drew Franklin and Tyler write the exact same piece and post it and watch the comments for his article and her article.  It won’t be the same.

No offense to any writer on this site, but Tyler is the most talented writer on the site in my opinion.  It’s not because she’s a female.  She’s not “good for a girl”.  It’s because she’s damn good.  She far exceeds her male counterparts on other sites day in and day out.  And we could do that exact video with her above and be stunned with some of things said to her.

It is 2016.  There is no sport that is meant for men only.  There is no sport that should be covered by men only.  And there is no sport where women can’t cover the sport as good and better than men.  So when you disagree with me and tell me I suck, that’s cool.  I mean it’s not really and shows you are a loser, but I can take it.  But the equivalent for a writer like Tyler or any other female writer on this site is not that they’re a b**** or a c*** or deserve any kind of violence against them.

The video above is getting a lot of publicity this week and it’s much overdue.  We have some of the best female talent on this site that you will find.  Scratch that, we have some of the best talent period.  Time to start treating them that way.

Rant over.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

48 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Female Journalist Treatment Needs to be Examined

1. kentuckyrld
    8:19 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

I will do my best not to be rude to any woman. I have great respect for women and I work with many women and I treat them as my equal and, in some cases, my better in the workplace. However, when it comes to sporting events I do not enjoy listening to women announcers. When I attend a sporting event I do not have the TV or radio announcers so sitting at home watching a game with the sound turned down because I don’t like the announcers is just fine with me. So for me, women will not be part of the media support to which I will listen.

• symphonist41169
      8:59 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Agreed. Listening to a female play-by-play or color announcer in basketball and golf is something I don’t enjoy NOT because she’s a woman but because most of them try too hard to sound like a man and MY PREFERENCE is to not listen to them. On the flip side of the coin, I’d rather listen to a female commentator talk about gymnastics any day of the week over a male commentator. Are my preferences showing gender bias? No, just MY PREFERENCES. The same can be said about people who can’t stand to listen to Dick Vitale. Are those people “anti-Italian” or “male-bashing”? No, it’s just their preference. Why is it that we all have to justify our preferences or we’re labelled “gay-basher”, “female-basher”, male-basher” etc? Can’t we just be allowed to have our own opinions and not have to be politically correct and worry about what everyone else thinks about them? As long as I don’t try to force my opinion on others what difference does it make what my opinion is? It’s MINE, and I don’t apologize for it.

• chimichanga
      9:11 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

“The same can be said about people who can’t stand to listen to Dick Vitale. Are those people “anti-Italian” or “male-bashing”?”

The difference is that they’re saying they don’t like one specific commentator because he’s annoying, whereas you are saying you don’t like an entire gender because of their gender.

• rabblerabblerabble
      9:22 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Chimichanga gets it. Unfortunately it’s going to go right over some of these folks’ heads.

• symphonist41169
      11:06 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Chimichanga doesn’t “get” my position. I’m not anti-female, I love my wife very much and she’s as strong a person as any male. What I don’t like are the female commentators I’ve heard. Not because they’re female but because I just don’t like listening to them. Big difference.

• rabblerabblerabble
      11:13 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

*** Bangs head against wall ***

I’m not implying you don’t love the ladies. I’m only talking about your Vitale analogy. People don’t trash him on Twitter because he’s a dude…they trash him because he has become an annoyingly terrible caricature. Ms. Spain and Ms. DiCaro get 98% of the awful stuff on Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, etc. because they’re women.

• symphonist41169
      11:17 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Then I guess I’m in the 2%, but don’t generalize my not liking certain broadcasters BECAUSE they’re female. I don’t like listening to Dan Dakitch either but that doesn’t mean I don’t like him because he’s a male.

• smokindave
      11:21 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more. I listened to Jess Mendoza-former college softball star-do color on ESPN’s college world series last year, and I laughed. She was so desperate to show how much she “knew” about the game, and started breaking down the swings of individual players. I played ’til I was 25-and I had NO idea what she was talking about. And, obviously, she didn’t either. Look, I’m sure she would be fine as a play by play-it’s not rocket science-but just as I wouldn’t attempt to break down figure skating (never done it), she shouldn’t be trying to explain something she’s never done either. Fascinating.

• chimichanga
      12:23 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

Kara Lawson is a great announcer who has done many UK games.

• Catsby80
      2:00 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

But see, the problem with your statement, Chimichanga, is that what you said is YOUR opinion.

2. Bluebloodtoo
    8:25 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

No mic drop?
    Totally agree. Time for some guys to crawl out of the stone age.

3. ukjaybrat
    8:29 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

I am in no way supporting women bashing… but let’s be fair, this is no different than any other public figure. African, Hispanic, and Jewish people get racists tweets hundreds of times a day. LGBT folk get gay-bashed hundreds of times a day.

It’s not the same, I know. It’s different, My point is, we don’t have a problem with “women sports casters” being abused on twitter. The problem is the much bigger and already discussed issue that when some jerk logs on anonymously to the internet, he can say whatever he wants with zero repercussions because no one cares enough to “police the internet” and make these scumbags pay for their words.

4. Dr. Funke
    8:31 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Social media, or even the comments on any website are not good barometers for sexism. Men receive death threats and violent comments such as “I hope you are murdered” and “I wish you would die”. BTI, you have fallen for the feminist trap my friend. I’m sure if you pulled up all of the tweets about skip Bayless you would find countless ones that are much worse.

• chimichanga
      8:59 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

I’d say it’s a pretty good barometer, actually. People are truly saying what they want under the cover of anonymity, no self-censoring. Creeps stalking and raping women is a much realer concern than internet commenters tracking down other men and murdering them. It’s not a “feminist trap”, dipsh*t.

• Sentient Third Eye
      9:01 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Behaving gentlemanly toward women, even online, is a “feminist trap”? I’d say that is simply the good manners my momma taught me forty years ago.

5. Sentient Third Eye
    8:33 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Just one correction that I feel I have to make as a longtime reader of KSR.

In my judgement, the quality of Mrs. T’s writing is not just the equal of the males Instead, she is the best writer you have, and it’s not even close. She has a real gift for objective prose and has consistently produced the best, most professional pieces on this site.

Now, to be clear, you have some other good writers. Freddie Maggard is probably the most insightful, but he relies on his good ol’ boy “aw shucks” persona rather than his strength as a writer (that’s not a criticism). And Drew has his moments, but his conversational, social media gonzo-style of prose is not really very professional from a journalistic standard, though it does fit the site well. Matt, when he writes, is technically very good, but he is also very dry. For some reason, it reads as if a lawyer wrote it.

But the best pieces KSR has ever had are Tyler’s investigative articles over the last year or so that shed light on various things around UK. I know she doesn’t always write those kinds of things, but when she does, it’s great. I hope she continues to do that sort of thing.

• Duuuuuude
      9:15 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

^^^What this guy says^^^

I am not sure I can explain what makes Tyler a great writer, but there is a context to her work that I connect to as a fan. I enjoy most of the writers, but her work is just superb.

I enjoy Drew like a good fiction novel, but he is so gonzo. I like how Freddie dissects football. Nick keeps getting better, but Tyler….

• scorpiocard
      11:22 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

I would agree that she is the best one here. And the most sensible.

Freddie does know football (as he should).

• bluetide
      2:00 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

Heard. Mrs TT is the best KSR’s website has to offer, and it’s not even close.

6. cinder96
    8:37 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

I began this morning with KSR as I often do, looking for the ever elusive word on what is happening with UK women’s basketball. Thankfully I found and did not pass on Bryan’s post and video.
    I am 64 years old and I cannot tell you how deeply I was touched by the cruelty of the words as they were read by these young men and even more deeply by their reactions as they were asked to read them. Everyone at KSR should take a moment to congratulate each other for tackling an issue that goes so deep and is so often ignored. Well done once again and thank you for every day and every voice you allow to be heard.

7. chimichanga
    9:03 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Right now some sheltered conservative idiot (or several of them) is looking at this article and mumbling “damn SJW’s”

• Urolex
      9:34 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Not really. No one is condoning the mistreatment or verbal abuse of women. We’re just tired of everything being “microaggressions” or oppression just because we hold a different view than you.

The PC police have gotten a little overzealous in their persecution of . If you want to target ACTUAL racists or sexists, go for it. But when you chastise everyday people for simply saying they prefer a male announcer or don’t like the idea of their 5 year daughter in a restroom with an unknown male, you sound like the REAL idiot who needs a time out in your “safe space”.

• rickwhitetx
      9:50 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Umm … I may be one of those sheltered conservative idiots to whom you are referring. At least, I am a conservative. I’m not sure if you’re using the modifiers around “conservative” to identify a small group or if you feel all conservatives are sheltered idiots. If it is the latter then you are not much better than anyone that lumps everyone in a certain group as being the same.

I am a conservative and I believe in equal rights and opportunity for everyone, no matter their race, sex, religious beliefs, or anything else. As it related to women specifically, I see nothing that makes them inferior when it comes to any type of journalism. Are some better than others? Of course. Then there are male journalists of differing skill levels too.

Two points; don’t generalize all of any group as idiots, geniuses, better, or worse and Tyler’s a hell of a good journalist. I’ll read her stuff anytime and every time.

• chicago_cat
      9:58 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Reads article about bullying through social media, proceeds to call people names on a message board.

• Catsby80
      10:07 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Oh the hypocrisy.

• chimichanga
      10:24 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

“Umm … I may be one of those sheltered conservative idiots to whom you are referring.”

Were you grumbling about “SJW’s” as my post said? No? Then obviously I’m not talking about you.

The behavior I described is real. The fact that there are people that stupidly try to score points over social issues does not negate the fact that these are real issues that affect people.

8. jman3715
    9:14 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

I really appreciate seeing Kaylee Hartung cover UK sports. I have no issue with it at all.

9. leon singleton
    9:24 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

You have to be gay to talk down to women sports writers.

• Bluebloodtoo
      9:47 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

I’m not sure I understand what you mean here, but IF you are attempting to use the word “gay” as sarcasm with a negative connotation then you might have the same problem that this article was intended to address.

10. runningunnin.454
    9:24 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

There is one lady that does color commentary for basketball; and, her voice gets a little shrill at times, but I’d rather listen to her than Bilas or Dakich. Bilas is biased and Dakich is an idiot. And, yep, I’ve told that to both of them.

11. TomC.A.T.S.9
    9:38 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

I agree with the fact that Tyler Thompson is the best writer on this site as well as any other sites. I would say that Drew is a close second then Matt. Most of the time BTI does suck. Then there are times like this that you hit it out of the park. I can tell by reading most of the articles who wrote them most of the time.

12. Mc12
    9:43 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

I’ve essentially given up on most social media sites and now only reply occasionally to this site. Social media provides an easy platform for people to show their stupidity and attempt to push their beliefs on to others. There is way too much whining and complaining. It’s almost depressing, and is a waste of time. That’s just my opinion.

13. profmike
    10:03 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

I’m not sure what’s happened in the world that, when calling attention to a problem, we must always redirect and say there are other problems. Sure, there are other problems with hate speech and hate text with people of differing ethnicities, etc., but redirecting to that when the current subject is the awful treatment of professional women is irresponsible and a method to ignore a real problem.

It’s not just sports media. It’s in most vocations, and it’s systemic with the language we use, the actions we take, and the text we post. For example, my wife and I both teach at the college level. I can’t count how many times a student response to failing grade differs between the two of us. If she issues a failing grade it’s “she’s a _____ _____.” If I do it, it’s “okay, sorry I didn’t do better professor.” It’s happened enough that we script what we are going to say and the environment in which we say it. We are at the same institution and teach similar level courses. Literally the ONLY variable that results in name calling, threats of rape, death, and other forms of violence is that my wife is female.

And no, I’m not some liberal freak, though that’s probably the blanket assumption some here will make just because it takes courage and common sense to acknowledge a real problem.

14. @GoCayts
    10:13 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

there are a lot of writers out there that have never done anything to warrant the messages they receive from these anonymous cowards … Tyler, for example, is usually just bringing us UK sports news to KSR so people don’t have to search or can discuss in one place … sure, she goes to some events and asks some questions, but most of KSR is linking stories and that’s fine

but, some of these reporters you know ask hard questions at hard times … like an 18 year old kicker just missed a field goal or a guard just missed a free throw and some reporter is asking “how does that feel?” … I can understand somebody calling that person a name

15. theWilkman
    10:49 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Twitter is the bathroom wall of the internet. There are countless examples of misogyny, homophobia, and other hate-filled tweets directed at all types of people. While the tweets read in the video are disgusting, you have to realize what they are reading – messages written by cowards. Rather than ask for some sort of “policing of the internet” or censoring speech (which twitter already does), users need to understand that if you put yourself out there, these cowards will respond. If it bothers you, either stop reading them, get off Twitter, or (better yet) expose the senders. RT the messages for all of your followers to react to.

Women in sports may get it worse than others, but go look at the mentions for Donald Trump or Pope Francis or Barack Obama and you’ll see much the same.

• symphonist41169
      11:24 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

“Twitter is the bathroom wall of the internet.”

EXCELLENT analogy and sums up in one succinct sentence why I don’t have a Twitter account or rely on anything that comes from it.

16. Destroyou
    11:28 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

Everyone in the public eye gets bashed.
    Jamal Murray?
    Skal?
    Cal?
    Bayless?
    Dakich?
    Bob Knight?
    Political candidates?
    and many more, I mainly focused on sports!
    The problem with liberals is that they always think they are special in their victimology. It is equal levels of berating for both sides. So much for equality, but what people really want is to be put above others. Anybody with a dissenting opinion will be called out by loons on both sides. Only liberals complain about it.

• chimichanga
      12:18 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

This affects all women, not just liberal women. Your trying to obfuscate the issue by making it political, when it isn’t.

And calling a girl a **** or threatening to rape a woman is not a “dissenting opinion”.

• Destroyou
      1:14 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

You are intentionally misleading to perpetuate this mindset.

I said EVERYONE gets bashed, but only liberals take some massive offense and hurdle to their natural life progression.

The last statement makes literally 0 sense. I said, “Anyone with a dissenting opinion will be called out by loons.” In other words, if people don’t agree with you, they will go crazy with words, usually that have no substance. See basketball recruits for Example 1A.

You misconstrue this statement to be some statement consenting rape apparently? I know males are threatened to get raped and killed just as much, if not more, than females.

In summation, you don’t have a single crutch, leg, or any other propping device to stand on. Males and females receive the same treatment. This isn’t a story, and if it was, don’t present it as a female only phenomenon. In the same way BLM tries to present all cops as psychopaths who only shoot innocent black teens, not criminals of all races in the process of resisting arrest with unknown threat levels.

• J-Dub421
      4:31 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

@Destroyou, “I know males are threatened to get raped and killed just as much, if not more, than females.” That is blatantly false. This is not a liberal issue, or even a political issue. And no, men do not receive the same treatment as women. Everyone may get bashed in some way, but women receive extremely violent threats often of a sexual nature. I have seen a lot of people call Dan Dakich and Pat Forde idiots and insult them, but I don’t see people telling them that they “should be Bill Cosby’s next victim,” or, “I hope your boyfriend beats you.” Those are two of the more tame things that were said in the video. I can’t post the worst of the tweets because I can guarantee they will get blocked. Commenters on this site may leave comments for Drew or Nick calling them “douche” or “moron” but Mrs. Tyler has people saying things like “leave sports talk to the men,” as if she’s too stupid to understand sports simply because she’s a woman. Women receive these types of comments on a daily basis. Stop trying to pretend like this isn’t a problem.

17. scorpiocard
    11:30 am April 27, 2016 Permalink

When is bbn going to start making some effort to police its own ranks of these neanderthal rednecks who explode all over twitter every time a blue chip basketball recruit picks another school? Or some national media type writes or says something that is not glowing about uk, and is perceived as a slight to bbn. Or heaven forbid, says something positive about U of L.

Your fan base has a national reputation for being one of the worst, if not THE worst on twitter. You know you do. Every national basketball media person out there makes comments about it, and makes fun of you for it.

18. nousername
    2:21 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

I didn’t know BTI Sucks was a woman

19. rainman
    4:13 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

This is beyond disturbing, I can only hope I’ve never come close to being this insensitive, or disrespectful!

20. satcheluk
    5:53 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

Trying to link the condemnation of these types of hateful speech to some PC overreach is absurd. PC can be overblown, but when something like this is being discussed, it is best to leave the PC card in your pocket. There is no defending these actions and saying a blanket, “I can’t stand to listen to all women announcers,” is bigoted-without question. If you can’t recognize that then that says a lot about your problem.

21. AdamN
    6:13 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

If women go into a traditionally male role (which sports coverage absolutely is)… they should expect to receive some criticism, insults, confusion, sexism, and some push back. If you “ruffle feathers” and “go against the grain”… resistance should be expected. In the same way that if a man goes into a traditionally female role, he should expect the same results. Now… because women (for the most part) aren’t as sexually obsessed (I don’t know how else to say it) as men are… the verbiage of the insults are going to be different. But if a man wants to go into ballet, synchronized swimming, nursing, etc. (you see where I’m going with this)… he should expect that other people might not appreciate it. He should go into it expecting this kind of reaction, and already be prepared for it. So my point is… if (as a female) you cannot handle people’s aggravation/confusion with why you would go into a traditionally male role… then don’t go into a traditionally male role.

Keep in mind, I am not saying the aggravation is justified. All I’m saying is, you should have already seen this coming and already know how to get past/over it. The real world sucks and is cruel/mean to everyone. Not just you. You put yourself out there to thousands, if not millions of people… then act surprised that some of them don’t like you?! Really?! People say horrible/nasty/rude things to me every now and then… and they have never even seen me before. No matter how perfect you are… someone somewhere really doesn’t like you.