BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Do You Respect 1-Sport Fans?

North Carolina v Kentucky

Upfront, I am a huge golf fan.  I would watch every second of every major if they would show it on television.  Which they don’t and that annoys me to no end.  Do they not show every second of every NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL playoff game on television.  But on the 4 biggest events of the year in golf, you only get a few hours a day.  Dumb.  But I digress.  I get it, a bunch of people don’t like golf.  It can be a little boring on TV if you don’t know the ins and outs of the game.  But I also came to recognize a trend amongst some people as well.  They only care about sports during 1 season.

In Kentucky world, this often will be basketball season of course.  But there are a few football-only fans in this state as well.  I am just surprised at the amount of fans who only care about 1 sport or the other.  I can understand ENJOYING one sport more than the other, but to completely ignore the other major sport at the schools seems a little disingenuous to me.  Not to try and pit one fan against another, but I can see a legitimate argument being made that one fan is a “better” fan for supporting all sports at Kentucky, or at least the major ones.

Secondarily, what do you say to people who are extremely passionate about one sport and don’t care about the other against a person who simply supports both teams but is not passionate about either?  Does supporting UK year-round matter in terms of who is the better fan?  Can you respect a fan who just doesn’t like/enjoy/support either the football or basketball team?  Just some food for thought and hopefully a good discussion on this Monday morning.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

15 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Do You Respect 1-Sport Fans?

1. Wickett66
    9:13 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

Not if they support another school’s team instead…

• asdf
      9:22 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

Yes, those are the ones who drive me nuts. People who are UK basketball fans, but they root for another, more successful school as their surrogate team in football. I have a lot of family who are UK basketball fans and Ohio State football fans. I’m thinking of disowning them. That’s WAY worse than not being a football fan at all…

2. ClutchCargo
    9:15 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

To each his own, I guess. I won’t judge anyone’s fanhood based on how many UK sports they follow. To follow only basketball may be kind of lame, but where do you draw the line? There is a whole lot of sports at most universities, and the average fan doesn’t follow all of them. What I do have a problem with is those “fans” who follow basketball at one school and football at another.

3. Al B. Frank
    9:23 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

I have no respect for these”frontrunner” fans who say things like, “My favorite college basketball team is UK, but my favorite college football team is Alabama.”

Unless you somehow have ties to both schools, you’re just jumping on the bandwagon of a winning program. That’s not being a true fan. Most of these people are also St. Louis Cardinals MLB fans and New England Patriot NFL fans, or something similar.

• Adam from Awesome Trot
      9:45 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

You do realize that in the far Western part of the state, St. Louis is close and the St. Louis Cardinals have always been universally popular there, right?

• ukjaybrat
      9:49 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

kinda like reds fans just about anywhere else. but the reds suck, so no one calls them bandwagon fans …

• Mathlete
      9:58 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

@Adam – I think his point was more that the Cardinals have been very successful over the last few years and some people have hopped onto their bandwagon as a result. If someone’s a fan because the team is close by and that’s who they’ve followed it’s different from switching around teams based on who’s hot at the moment.

• Don Cheadle
      5:37 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

@Adam – Like Mathlete said. Al B. is (i’m pretty sure) not referring to just fans in Kentucky, but baseball fans in general with that comment.

4. Blue
    9:32 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

I used to know a guy who was a huge Florida football fan (during the Tebow years), HUGE Duke Basketball fan, and HUGE Patriots fan.

Now…He’s a UK basketball fan. Gross.

5. ukjaybrat
    9:33 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

I think most people would share the same feelings. If you only enjoy/support one team, most times, it’s one of two reasons

1) you enjoy one sport more than the other and just don’t really care about the other sport (and most people wouldn’t mind this kind of fan)
    -or-
    2) you like uk basketball and bama/osu/mich/notre dame football (this seems like you are just a UK fan because of their success)

But when it comes down to it, there are fans attracted simply by the greatness or relevance of a team. Unlesss you grew up in a UK family, or the state, or went to the school, you really have no reason to be a UK fan other than they are “winners.”

Even then, I really don’t have a problem with that. It’s great you like the team i like and we can share experiences from across the years. Where I would draw the line is someone who claims to be a die hard fan, and can’t tell you any of the players’ names. or the last time we won a championship. or their favorite player/coach. etc…

6. Mike13w
    9:42 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

One sport fans unnerve me. Hate it. No respect for the fans who openly root for the Basketball or Football teams and against the other. Drives me nuts.

7. Mathlete
    10:24 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

To me it’s different if you’re a fan of a team just because they’re fun to watch. For example, I’m a UK alum and fan first and will root for them over anyone, but I also like Oregon football’s style so I’ll follow along and enjoy the games themselves when I can catch them (meaning they’re on at a decent hour and not conflicting with a UK game). I don’t have any particular connection to Oregon other than finding them entertaining, and would never claim to be anything other than a casual fan, but I don’t see anything wrong with having fun watching them because that’s kind of the whole point of sports.

I can’t judge anyone liking UK based on the fact that our teams are usually a lot of fun to watch (particularly last year’s group). It only bugs me if they pretend to be die-hard fans of a team they started watching last year just to try to impress people. The posers are the only ones I have any real problems with, just be who you are.

• CtownCat
      10:57 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

I can relate to that a little Mathlete, I’m a diehard UK Fan, not only in basketball. I’m a baseball guy and a Football guy at heart, but those are the sports I played. I enjoy watching a lot of different schools play football. I think if our product improves for football; I think we capture a lot of those fans that root for other teams. People like to be associated with winning programs in whatever sport. If UK can win a few games moving forward and be more entertaining this will only help. The problem we are facing at UK is until Barnhart came on to the seen the athletic department only cared about one sport. You can thank our little brother down the road for forcing UK to improve in all sports and our facilities, in my opinion that is a good thing.

8. lexslamman
    11:29 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

I’ve never much cared for American Football, and now that I live outside of Lexington, sports other than Men’s Basketball aren’t really accessible for me.

9. somerset bill
    1:25 pm June 22, 2015 Permalink

tomorrow question: “can you respect a fan who cares a whit about whether or not another fan respects their fandom?”