BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Do You Care…….

Michael Reaves | KY Kernel

Michael Reaves | KY Kernel

Michael Reaves | KY Kernel

Let’s face a fact: most of our negative comments and arguments as UK fans occurs with other fanbases, normally Louisville.  But we also fight internally many times.  What being a fan means to some is not what it means to others.  I often get frustrated with our own fanbase and those who are too obsessed.  I have never and can’t imagine I ever will cry after a loss.  It just isn’t that important to me.  Does it sting after each loss?  Of course.  But it doesn’t change my life is any drastic way.  For some, it literally ruins their week.  Just listen to the radio show some days during the season.  You will hear people with such anger and disdain for one thing or another.  I don’t understand that.  So as much as I dislike many fans from other fanbases, I am not totally good with ours all the time either.

I generally think the disagreements amongst ourselves revolves around CARING.  What do we choose to care about and not care about.  Do we care about the way our coaches/players act?  Do we care about this event or that event or this rival or that rival.  These are things that divide us many times.  So I have put a series of questions below that I often think are dividing lines between UK fans.  Choose to answer all of them or choose to answer one that particulary interests you.  But what are some of things you care about a lot or think other fans care about too much?

-Do You Care if the players GRADUATE (not just going to class in general)?

-Do You Care about any sport more than basketball and/or football?

-Do You Care if the teams have players from the state of Kentucky?

-Do You Care if our program is hated by everybody else?

-Do You Care if our coaches walk a tightrope with the NCAA rules?

-Do You Care if star players are not good with the media?

-Do You Care if players never come back to Lexington after leaving?

-Do You Care if the tailgaiting at the football game is great?

-Do You Care more about beating Louisville in football than any other SEC team?

-Do You Care if UK wins the SEC Tournament?

-Do You Care where the students sit at Rupp Arena?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

9 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Do You Care…….

1. AuthorDude
    8:37 am August 22, 2016 Permalink

Do You Care if the players GRADUATE (not just going to class in general)? Yes

-Do You Care if star players are given preferential treatment in terms of punishment? Yes (sets the example for the whole team)

-Do You Care about any sport more than basketball and/or football? No, though baseball is close.

-Do You Care if the teams have players from the state of Kentucky? No, though it’s nice when it happens.

-Do You Care if our program is hated by everybody else? NO

-Do You Care about the watching experience at Rupp/Commonwealth as much as the product on the field? No. I can forgive a lot at Rupp/Commonwealth when we are beating the &^%$ out of people.

-Do You Care if our coaches walk a tightrope with the NCAA rules? YES. No tightrope walking.

-Do You Care if star players are not good with the media? No

-Do You Care if players never come back to Lexington after leaving? No, but again, it’s nice when they do.

-Do You Care if the tailgaiting at the football game is great? No

-Do You Care more about beating Louisville in football than any other SEC team? No. I’d take a win every year over Florida.

-Do You Care if UK wins the SEC Tournament? Yes

-Do You Care where the students sit at Rupp Arena? Yes. I think more need to be down low.

2. nybrasky
    9:05 am August 22, 2016 Permalink

1 – Yes, unless they are getting paid millions to play their sport. Even then should be in good standing.
    2 – No, that’s life.
    3 – No
    4 – No, get the best players possible. All other equal, take the KY kid.
    5 – Yes? I don’t really care, but if hated that likely means you’re winning.
    6 – No, I care more about the TV schedule
    7 – No, as long as they stay on the rope.
    8 – No, I care about their play. Don’t disrespect the fans/general public. Media makes itself too important.
    9 – No, but prefer they do and give back.
    10 – Yes, better outside atmosphere leads to better inside atmosphere
    11 – No, the better SEC teams are way more important than Little Brother’s band of criminals
    12 – Not really, though I’d prefer it. Can lose it all they want if it ends up like ’12 & ’96
    13 – Not really

3. Blue Boy
    9:39 am August 22, 2016 Permalink

What we call “passion” others fans bases look at us as “delusional.” Unfortunately it took me moving out of state to realize just how “passionate” we can look sometime.

4. Bleedblueky
    9:45 am August 22, 2016 Permalink

Sorry BTI but apparently Matt doesn’t want us to write on his UK Scandal article so I have to vent here!
    I totally agree with Matt’s points of view and I do know this is not the only time UK is trying to get away with something like this per my own experience. TIME WOULD TELL!

5. BluKudzu
    10:30 am August 22, 2016 Permalink

I care about UK Football. Too much. I care that a solid commitment is made by the UK AD to our kids, to give them the best chance for success, both on and off the field. When that happens, that is all that matters.
    That is what I care about.

6. BiggestCatsFanInOhio
    12:25 pm August 22, 2016 Permalink

-Do You Care if the players GRADUATE (not just going to class in general)? They need to be acedemically in good standing and need to be ON TRACK to graduation when they leave. To be Honest, I’ve never understood the notion that a player has to graduate before leaving to pursue their professional career. Any of us would have done the same thing in our own lives. That being said, while they are here, they should be going to class, getting good grades, and be in a position to come back later and finish their degree.

-Do You Care if star players are given preferential treatment in terms of punishment? Yes, standards should be the same for starters down through walk-ons

-Do You Care about any sport more than basketball and/or football? Always basketball #1

-Do You Care if the teams have players from the state of Kentucky? No, but I’m not from KY

-Do You Care if our program is hated by everybody else? I used to but not anymore

-Do You Care about the watching experience at Rupp/Commonwealth as much as the product on the field? No, I’d travel to the middle of Siberia and watch the game naked if it meant seeing the Cats play championship-caliber football.

-Do You Care if our coaches walk a tightrope with the NCAA rules? No, as long as they are not intentionally breaking a rule and they intend to remain on the fair side.

-Do You Care if star players are not good with the media? No, I don;t expect them to be

-Do You Care if players never come back to Lexington after leaving? No, if they are not from KY

-Do You Care if the tailgaiting at the football game is great? Yes, it’s a part of the culture

-Do You Care more about beating Louisville in football than any other SEC team? No, I’d take 1 Florida win over 20 UofL wins

-Do You Care if UK wins the SEC Tournament? In basketball, yes, we should be in the champ game every year. In football, I’ll believe it when I see it

-Do You Care where the students sit at Rupp Arena? Yes, they should be much closer to the court than just the Erupption zone then everyone else tucked away in the corner

7. UKBlueGreen
    12:44 pm August 22, 2016 Permalink

-Do You Care if the players GRADUATE (not just going to class in general)?

Yes, treat the same.

-Do You Care about any sport more than basketball and/or football?
    Not really.

-Do You Care if the teams have players from the state of Kentucky?
    Mr. Kentucky Football and Mr. Kentucky Basketball should always be offered.

-Do You Care if our program is hated by everybody else?
    Not if we are playing clean.

Both can get really exiting.

-Do You Care if our coaches walk a tightrope with the NCAA rules?

-Do You Care if star players are not good with the media?
    They shouldn’t use bad grammar.

-Do You Care if players never come back to Lexington after leaving?

-Do You Care if the tailgaiting at the football game is great?
    I’ve never had a bad time.

-Do You Care more about beating Louisville in football than any other SEC team?
    Not really.

-Do You Care if UK wins the SEC Tournament?
    I’d take the loss if we won the championship.

-Do You Care where the students sit at Rupp Arena?
    If they can afford lower level seats, let them sit there.

8. BlueGrass
    2:13 pm August 22, 2016 Permalink

Just WIN baby!

I don’t care what they do to get there, I’d just make one rule… Don’t embarrass the University. To me, this basically means stay out of the newspaper for criminal activities.

I would even say this, star players SHOULD get better treatment. They are bringing in the cash, they have value. People who treat everyone the same regardless of the value they create have a name…communist.

First, you HAVE to end the streak to UF. Then beat UL a majority of the time.

9. Go Deep