BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Do we Have Friends?

Louisville, Duke, Indiana, Tennessee, North Carolina.  We know who Kentucky’s biggest rivals are.  These are teams who not only we play the most heated contests against, but also have the biggest beef with their fanbase.  These are people that strive to be like us in basketball or we strive to be like them in football.  They are who we judge ourselves against, and our hate shows no bounds.

But, I was talking to a buddy the other day about the team’s we love to love.  The teams that Kentucky fans have a soft spot in our hearts for, and can bring ourselves to cheer for, assuming they are not playing the Cats.  So below I list a group of team, some in basketball and some in football, as teams that we cheer for.  Tell me if I am wrong or am missing someone:

1) Western Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky, Murray State, Morehead State

-The other 3 major sports schools in the state (sorry Morehead but no) take a special place in our hearts.  And that’s even considering WKU has a recent win against Kentucky in basketball and 2 in football.  EKU played the Cats pretty tough in the NCAA Tournament in 2005.  But I can tell you that I saw serious support behind Murray State in the NCAA tournament a couple years, and when WKU made the Sweet 16 in 2008, the UK fanbase got behind them.  When Morehead State beat UL in the NCAA’s, we were all Eagles fans for a day. I think it’s for one simple reason: those schools understand where they are on the hierarchy and don’t attempt to act too big for their britches, as my grandmother would say.

For me, part of the reason we hate UL so much is they think their program compares to ours, despite EVERY FACT pointing to something different.  If Louisville just settled for the 2nd best program in the state, gave it their best shot against UK every year, maybe just maybe UK fans would soften up on them.  But that will never happen, so the hate just grows.  Thus, we cheer for our in-state brothers, and hate on the Little Brother.

2) Michigan State (Basketball)

-I don’t know if you will find a better liked and respected coach from other fanbases than Tom Izzo.  Michigan State knocked UK out of the tournament in 1999 and 2005, and yet I found myself cheering for them in the Final Four.  You get the sense, whether accurate or not, that Izzo runs a clean program.  His guys always seem to overachieve, and he always seems to have a group of  players who talk very little and play very hard.   Hell, many still argue Izzo was destined to be UK’s next coach if his team hadn’t made the Final Four in 2009.  Izzo is passionate about his team without being arrogant and he is maybe the best gameplanner in the game today.  And I think fans can respect that.

3) Vanderbilt (Football)

-Their basketball team is annoying.  Always has been, always will be.  But the football team is kinda endearing, like watching the kid in right field struggle to catch a fly ball in Little League, even if he is on the other team.  I think Kentucky football fans can relate so much to the Vanderbilt football program.  There are just so many obstacles to overcome for both programs, andthat common bondmakes them easy to cheer for.  Their fans couldn’t care two craps about the team, but I always find the players to be easy to root for.  If they have success, that should tell us that we can have success.  And in the same way, there suckiness has always propped up Kentucky and masked the fact that we suck so many times in football.

So, am I wrong in saying their are teams that we cheer for as a fanbase outside of our own school?  Should we just hate everybody?  And is there somebody I am missing?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

62 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Do we Have Friends?

1. HB
    9:05 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

Maryland basketball, for being in awe of a Duke hate greater than ours and upsetting them often.

• JackB
      9:54 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

Maryland fans are the worst though. They are really bad fans – like the Philadelphia [Fill in the blank]fans of college basketball. They throw stuff and assault parents of opposing players, etc. Any anyone that went to Barclay Center for that Maryland game a few years ago know I speak truth.

• PAK
      10:32 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

I can attest to this personally. They we’re complete aholes when we played them in Brooklyn. Booed when a check for 1 million dollars was presented to charity by UK. They are the worst – before that I actually did like them – going back to Len Bias days – but no more.

• DT in DC
      1:21 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Heck no. Maryland fans are the worst. I live in the area, and unfortunately, around lots of Maryland fans. Win or lose against Duke, they try to burn their campus down. Complete jerks.

2. bramstin milsapp
    9:06 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

BTI, tell Leyland: Mr. Milsapp says hellloooo!

3. Dubbya
    9:09 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

I completely agree with you, BTI. For maybe the first time ever. Not sure how I feel about that.

4. Mxyzptlk
    9:15 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

I hate Vandy because their student body is made up of rich frat-boys whose parents are BUYING them degrees. It doesn’t matter how smart you are. It only matters how much money your daddy has.

• SMH
      9:40 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

Welcome to the real world. Maybe you should start writing about a redistribution of wealth now.

• GoBlue!
      9:42 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

Sounds like someone didn’t get in to Vandy.

• Haha
      10:00 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

Everyone has the ability to be rich, few have the drive.

• Luther
      1:06 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Greed and envy are unbecoming of you. Please go back to your “occupy wall st” closet…

• Mxyzptlk
      1:13 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

I’m just saying that your GRADE should not be determined by the size by how much your father gives to the school. That’s how Vandy rolls. A six-figure annual donation will get your kid a degree even if they don’t go to class. I don’t know any other schools like that.

• ummm
      1:20 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

You are a moron. What a ridiculous statement. Do you really think a top 15 school could get away with selling grades?

5. NotSatire
    9:16 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

I’ve found myself cheering for FloridaGulfCoast, Morehead, Western, Butler….almost always in the Tourney. Vanderbilt football? No. Maryland? No. Michigan State? Eh, no.

6. Vandy Football?!
    9:21 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

Are you serious?!

7. ha
    9:26 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

Kentucks has a rivalry with WKU in football. Lol how sad

• Ha-Ha
      11:04 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

And Louisville has a rivalry with Morehead State in the NCAA tourney. Oh wait, no they don’t. The Cards have to win one first.

8. manlySmell
    9:28 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

FYI, MSU fans hate Kentucky. Hate, Kentuky…HATE, Kentucky!!!!!!!, Actually, they hate Calipari but Kentucky is attached to him. It is funny to me how people from the state of Kentucky do not realize how MSU fans feel about them.

They are no doubt jealous. Almost like they are old men afraid of the new way of thinking. Izzo is like a very good Tubby, albeit, it is old man(old school) ball. I grew up in Mich so I am an expert on this.

• dm10
      12:14 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Agree completely. I was at that Baseketbowl event against MSU in Detroit about 10 years ago and thought we wer going to have to fight our way out of the stadium. And that was in the midst of the Tubby Years … They had very hostile fans.

9. Bluieville
    9:28 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

I’ve always pulled for WKU, but it has gotten harder lately. Their fans are starting to act like little brother fans.

• DT in DC
      1:24 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

110% agree. Being from Western Kentucky, I have many friends and family who are WKU grads and many of them became ridiculously annoying after they beat us in football, as if that’s a huge feat.

10. Come On
    9:29 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

there*

• eddie vedder
      1:24 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

You need to go back to 3rd grade.

11. Hater
    9:31 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

Basketball: Anyone playing duke unc Kansas louisville uc and ohio state.
    Football: cheer for anyone you like(outside the sec and not OSU) till stoops has us contending for the SEC crown.
    Hard

• Wait what
      9:43 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

“till stoops has us contending for the SEC crown.” Hahahahaha.

12. claiborne_field
    9:31 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

I have a soft spot for the SEC (when their not playing UK)

13. The Water Boy
    9:36 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

When I think nothing more retarded can come out of his mouth, BTI best his worst effort with this used toilet paper of a blog post. Thanks for never letting me down. Today is your most useless post to date.

• cracka
      9:45 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

is your avatar a bacon dragon?

• Tom
      10:06 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

Whete can we find your articlrs posted?

• The Water Boy
      12:47 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

cracka – Yes, the most delicious of all dragon varieties.

14. cracka
    9:42 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

wondering what you all think about uconn basketball … because i just don’t hate them … i hate duke basketball … i hate osu football … and i hate the steelers

but, i just don’t hate uconn … they’ve beaten us twice in 2 very important games recently, but it is what it is … they seemed a little dirty, being put on probation, but i just don’t hate them (especially with ollie as the coach)

i’m not saying i cheer for them, though, that DOES NOT happen

something else i was thinking about the other day … i know some of you all have forgiven or started to forgive or let go of laettner hate … i have not … i still hate him … so, i’m wondering after last year, how many people “hate” aaron harrison?

• AaronsBalls
      9:49 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

I probably wasn’t even an idea when the Laettner shot happened, but after watching the game and shot numerous times I think that all the hate for Laettner is focused on the antics leading up to the shot. The fact that he played for Duke also doesn’t help, and seeing as we aren’t rivals with Wisconsin and Michigan I can’t really see any of their fans holding too much hatred for Aaron

• LMU
      10:22 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

clearly you have never had an encounter with a uconn fan. if you had, you would understand how it is easy to hate them. in NYC during Wall’s year, they were terrible and they were the biggest jerks at the Final Four this year. meet one of them and then you’ll know why.

• cracka
      10:52 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

i do know a uconn fan, but it’s a girl so not sure that counts … it was kind of just nice that she actually was a sports fan, and that’s where she was from

15. Tom
    9:57 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

I certainly understand disliking Louisville.
    Them flaunting going to a Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, back to back college world series, a NCAA runnerup in soccer a few years ago. The gall to wn a basketball championship a couple years ago.
    The don’t even have a rifle team!
    Western loss last year showing we had the third best division one team in the state. (We probably threw that game, didn’t want to show the SEC teams our Air Raid. We hide it all last season didn’t we?)
    Is there schools we should enjoy? I’d say every one who who continue to embarass us in football evey year. Heck, if we treat them really nice they may hold off recruiting for a while and fore go spring practice couple of years so we can catch up.
    Since we all know we have the best athletic progam in the country, just taking a decade or so off to let the others give us a challenge.

• Sawyer
      11:11 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

I assume BTI you were referring to Louisville’s basketball program otherwise this ^douchebag^ is right. Even if, again, he is a douchebag.

16. yesterdays
    10:07 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

I hate Tennessee http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt2BAfhUHX0

Went there twice in college to watch us get drubbed- this was Lorenzen years. While we were gettting thrashed by about 50, their fans were yelling and throwing things at us in various parts of the garbage truck convention center even though we had been quiet the entire game- We had little to cheer about.

The whole experience in Knoxville was awful- almost like going to Bloomington for an IU-UK game. Fans going out of their way to insult you and generally make things unpleasant. Always like going to SEC stadiums to see the sites and all the history, but Tenn fans just suck in general. Say what you want about UK fans, but for the most part, I think we are fairly civil and do not go out of our way to make things unpleasant for visiting fans.

• Mxyzptlk
      1:14 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Other than some friendly teasing, I’ve found UT fans to be rather nice overall. Even had one loan me a blanket on a cold gameday.

17. willie t
    10:30 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

Speaking of Duke hate, I ran into some guys from Duke on spring break just a year after the Laettner shot. Oddly they said most Duke fans had nothing but respect for UK and the tenacity we had to push them to the brink. I said we hated their guts….

• They Won
      11:08 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

It’s to their advantage for us to be respectable and it’s easy to be gracious when you get the W.

• somerset bill
      1:26 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

good man, willie t.

18. jmfatz47
    11:26 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

so tired of the Izzo suckfest. His teams seem to underachieve more than not. And it always seems like they skeeze an easier path in the tourney due to upsets, etc.

19. Louisville
    11:34 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

I cheer for Louisville…

20. STOOPS TROOPS
    11:39 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

This is kentucky your with us or aginst us. No I dont like the dirty green sportan yankies from up north that always get all the calls when they play us and beat us. We ever whoop them? No more suckin up to other teams you GO CATS OR GTFO BTI

21. Cawood
    11:45 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

I don’t know about the other state schools, but many Western Kentucky fans HATE UK. As a WKU alum, I experienced it first hand. Eff Western, I will never root for them.

22. bookend
    11:57 am July 24, 2014 Permalink

Actually, the past 30 years of time, uofl, bama, auburn and florida fans were always the most obnoxious in football. More recently, WKU fans have been spouting their mouths about beating the cats. Other than some short periods ot time when ut and usc were relative in football or basketball, and a few other teams like msu or vandy for short periods of time, they know their place. Kentucky has been good in football during short periods of time during the last 60 years, and may get back to that status. If so, they will quickly be hated.

23. highoctanehurricane
    12:02 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

I cheer for a lot of schools other than UK. Whoever Duh Ville is playing is who I’m cheering for.

24. Catlover
    12:22 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

I will watch Lville games only when they are Losing!

25. charlie warrior
    12:30 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

I can’t imagine cheering for Vandy…. or Michigan State either. Why?

There are some rivals that I like seeing get an occasional ‘L,” but I rarely waste my time watching their games. It’s more fun to have a team to cheer “for” rather than against. If there is a “big game” on, I can usually pick one of the teams to cheer for…

I cheer for UK, Morehead, and EKU all the time. In recent years I have found that I enjoy watching and cheering for Boise State football (love and admire their offense) and Gonzaga basketball (big, slow players who win… lol). These last two teams must appeal to many other fans since ESPN keeps putting their games on national tv!

26. Lincoln
    12:43 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Try visiting a Vandy message board the week before we play them in football. They do not like us at all.

• Mxyzptlk
      1:15 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Yes. They are total pricks.

27. Original MarkyMark
    12:46 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

I’ve always cheered for Notre Dame in football and I like watching Gonzaga basketball (love the outside shooting)

28. ukcatsfan2
    1:00 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

I don’t get the IZZO fasination. Yeah, he may be a good coach, but he’s not outstanding as that team he had this year had as much Size, Athleticism and Bench as any team he’s every had, maybe even more than his championship team. Yet he bowed out.

I for one am glad he is a Spartan for life!

29. Luther
    1:08 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Fla should be on your list of Ky basketball rivals…

30. somerset bill
    1:23 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

the darrin horn era at wku probably made the team a lesser evil in many central kentucky cat fans’ eyes. and on the other side, jim calhoun being such a jerk probably helped fuel the hate for uconn.

i think vandy basketball is in the positive category. simply because of the number of top kentucky high school players who, after being passed over by the cats, have ended up playing there.

31. Waylon Jennings
    1:55 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

Alabama football fans seem to be the only fans that understand our passion and our desire to dominate our respective sports. We share a lot of similarities. I get along with most Bama fans

• Big Blue Earl
      6:45 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

I don’t really cheer for any other team than UK, but after going to many away games in football, there are certain fan bases that I respect. One is our newest conference member, Missouri. We went to the UK-Missouri football game on the road in Jokers final season and were treated really nice by all the Missouri fans we came in contact with. They really have no strong feelings about UK either way, but they HATE everything Kansas. Its a shame they don’t play each other anymore. All the fans were really kind and seemed to just be happy to be in the SEC with us.

On the other hand, we also went to the Alabama game on the road 5 or 6 years ago and were treated very poorly by the fans around us. Vulgar language and gestures throughout the game. I regarded Alabama fans as being like us until that trip. The ones we were around at the game were the worst of any I have ever seen. Alabama trips are out of the picture for my family from now on.

Tennessee fans are kind of in the middle of the road. I’ve been to 4 UK-UT games in Knoxville and for the most part the fans have been great. There were a few heckles here and there, but nothing out of line other than that hideous orange they all wear. Always a great experience in that stadium though.

Louisville fans rank near the bottom. Most Louisville fans are decent, but the few that are jerks and the drunk fans are the ones that ruin it for them. Still they haven’t come close to Alabama level status in awfulness to visiting fans.

32. WildTurkey101
    4:05 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

I like the SEC too.

33. Hill
    4:14 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

There are some good writers on KSR(sorry Brian the intern but no)

34. Howard
    4:43 pm July 24, 2014 Permalink

When I say that I’m gonna use the restroom, I refer to say I’m taking a duke. Also, ALL KENTUCKY ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!

35. ukjaybrat
    7:43 am July 25, 2014 Permalink

teams I root for (keep in mind i’m also a michigan fan) —–
    Basketball: Michigan, Florida, rest of SEC, any team connected via former UK player (i.e. [email protected] St)
    Football: Michigan, rest of SEC, anyone playing against Notre Dame