BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Can You Be A Good Fan Now?

sadfootballfan

In some ways, I feel lucky.  After attending last year’s Florida game, the writing was on the wall for me.  The Mark Stoops era was going to progress and end llike every UK football era before it.  Potential moments to shift the direction of the program and inevitable collapse.  Yes, that includes the Rich Brooks era.  Beating LSU and Louisville in 2007 was rare for UK.  But let’s not forget that team still went 7-5 and lost HOME games to unranked Mississippi State and blew a 3OT game to Tennessee.  And I felt bad (and still do) for basically giving up strong hope for the program just 2 years and 2 games into Stoops tenure.  But I think after the Southern Miss game Saturday, pretty much everybody is on board with what I felt last year.  W

ith that said, I’m not going to stop watching the games and I’m not going to cheer against the Cats.  I just simply have no hope they can win many games.  It won’t actually BOTHER me if things go like they did Saturday.  Or better put, it won’t bother me once the game ends.  During the game, it is still not hard to get quite frustrated with how things are going.  So here is my question to those diehard UK football fans, of which I know there are many:

WHEN YOU KNOW THE INEVITABLE WITH UK FOOTBALL AND THAT IS NOT A GOOD END, HOW DO YOU KEEP BEING A GOOD FAN?

I generally want to know after 31 years (for me) of watching this team, how do I remain a good fan?  Because I have frankly given up hope and I think I am well within my rights to do so.  What I don’t think anybody can reasonably say is:

1. Keep going to the games.  While going to a UK football game is not ultra expensive, it still is an entire day spent at Commonwealth with a depressing end that isn’t dirt cheap.  Yeah, you might have fun at the front end but the ending is going to be awful.  Kinda like my prom night.  At some point, the product on the field has to be QUALITY WINS.  Fans were basically tricked into thinking we had a better team because of the new facility and improved Commonwealth Stadium.  Turns out those were just smoke and mirrors.
  2. Keep buying the mottos.  Stop telling me “why not us” and “we’re just getting started” because 3+ years in and we’re on the train to another 5 win season.  Why not us?  Because we choke all the time.  I genuinely feel bad for Mark Stoops because I think he did everything right and better than any UK coach in my lifetime, except properly coach the team it seems.  From a PR and recruiting standpoint, he’s been the best.  But I’m tired of coach speak.  I don’t know what Mark Stoops should say but it ain’t “this is unacceptable” because how many years of unacceptable are we supposed to swallow.  We know, the players should know, and you certainly know.  So really no need to tell us.

I can’t decide what my major emotion with UK football as a whole is.  I know that my negative feelings are not limited to Mark Stoops.  I know they include Hal Mumme, Bill Curry, Andre Woodson, Mike Hartline, Joker Phillips, and so many more.  Not because those guys were not good representatives of this university but because as fans we are asked to stick it out with this program but for what gain?  Even are best players have blown big game after big game.  Doesn’t mean I don’t love those guys.  Just means they blew opportunities.  And after 31 years, being a GOOD FAN is tough.

How do most of us who have seen enough of this continue to properly support this team?  Or is it just a futile effort to put any passion into the team?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

27 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Can You Be A Good Fan Now?

1. Sentient Third Eye
    8:13 am September 7, 2016 Permalink

Think of it like an investment. Fans with good teams only have to make short-term investments, and they get relatively small returns. Honestly, we’re that way in basketball. Just about anything the team does just feels “okay” because anything less than a Final Four is failure. There is almost no chance for the exaltation of unexpected success.

But football is different. After decades of suffering, the excitement of Brooks’ 8-5 season was like a drug. We don’t get “hits” of that drug too often, but when they come, there’s nothing else like it.

• runningunnin.454
      9:02 am September 7, 2016 Permalink

Good analogy; and, I found the whole article fairly depressing. I’ll still support the football team, and every Saturday brings new excitement for me.
      But, I still “feel better” during the basketball season.

2. Kindergarten Cop
    8:40 am September 7, 2016 Permalink

I think we have stuck with it longer than any fan base I can think of. No one can complain about drop off in ticket sales or support. That includes former players. I love UK Football. Always have and always will and I will continue to come to games because I enjoy it. That being said, I don’t blame anyone who doesn’t.

• Mathlete
      12:04 pm September 7, 2016 Permalink

Cubs fans disagree with you about who has stuck it out the longest…

As far as NCAAF fans, you might be right. Although Kansas football fans have been through even worse than we have and some of them still show up (and rush the field after beating a bad FCS team in week 1)

3. kycats13
    8:50 am September 7, 2016 Permalink

After 32 years of marriage, I can’t justify to my wife the wasting of 4 to 5 prime time hours each fall weekend to watch this product. I’ll record the game and watch it in the middle of the night when no one is looking. As for the prime time hours, looks like I’m off to the apple orchard, craft shows, Hobby Lobby, and forth cousin family reunions. I blame Kentucky Football for this.

• runningunnin.454
      9:05 am September 7, 2016 Permalink

Ha Ha; your Saturdays sound really depressing; for me, Saturdays are still for FOOTBALL.

4. Kernel Sanders
    9:08 am September 7, 2016 Permalink

To each his own. I completely admire those that continue to support UK football with passion. However, my breaking point was the Bill Curry years. I decided then that it’s futile and heartbreaking to emotionally invest in UK football. Lol, I decided then that season tickets, parking and the game day experience was too costly for the awful return on investment and that was before prices got way too jacked up.

So yeah, I watch games, I want them to win, but even the Southern Miss game did not shock me at all. If you kind of build that awful crap into your expectations, then it’s easier to let go of it when (yet another awful) game and/or season ends.

• ClutchCargo
      10:07 am September 7, 2016 Permalink

For some strange reason, I am still always shocked when the inevitable heartbreaking play/loss happens, even though I should know it will happen. Otherwise, I’m right there with you. Well said.

5. BluKudzu
    9:13 am September 7, 2016 Permalink

As mentioned previously, I will record the games. I also have season tickets. I also make the required donations. We travel a couple of hours to the game, tailgate, go inside and stay until it is absolutely impossible for us to win, then travel home listening to the rest of the game and the broadcast. I will get home, watch the game after everyone is in bed. Then vent on here. I apologize to all of you in advance for my offensive posts. It is therapeutic. Then I take my blood pressure meds, with a shot of bourbon. Such is the life of this crazed and depraved UK football fan. My Saturday routine in the fall. I have no life.

• runningunnin.454
      9:26 am September 7, 2016 Permalink

There is a new medicine on the market for depression….it’s called “Damnitol”.
      …..might help.

• BluKudzu
      11:51 am September 7, 2016 Permalink

I have tried them all, and drinking until comatose seems to be highly effective for me, at this time. However, the smae problem exists, typically called “Next Saturday Syndrome” which causes people like me to continue the bourbon backed blood pressure medication routine.
      Until the battle is won.

6. Patches
    9:38 am September 7, 2016 Permalink

I will watch and record all the mistakes the coaching staff makes to ensure we lose. Stoops has nothing on the Joker the worst coach ever at UK.

• kycats13
      10:28 am September 7, 2016 Permalink

I think Stoops is a much better recruiter (was), but as far as coaching there is not much difference if any.

• BluKudzu
      11:58 am September 7, 2016 Permalink

Joker smokes this dude in coaching. Defensive guru my asz. Sitting at 113 of 120. Joker’s worst year, was better defensively than Stoops best year. Barn hart fired Joker after three years, to replace him with a defensive minded coach. He may be defensive minded, but his DC has no clue.

7. inside info2
    9:47 am September 7, 2016 Permalink

Finally, a BTI article I agree with (except the next to the last paragraph including Woodson and Harline with the coaches).

Where else are you expected to keep supporting something or someone that has consistently disappointed you? I appreciate most of the players — the ones that keep giving 100% each game — but I don’t support the coaches and I definitely don’t support the AD that keeps hiring the coaches. And the only way for me to incite change is not paying for the product. That is the only thing that the AD will understand.

8. Jiminy Crickets
    11:28 am September 7, 2016 Permalink

I dont get the support the players comments. I did not recruit these guys, and although I root for them and support them with my purchasing a ticket, THESE TICKETS ARE EXPENSIVE. We are the only fan base in the country that sells out (or close) every game just to lose to Vandy, get blown out by Tennessee, Florida and every other real SEC team. Were the only fan base in the country that gets excited by beating a terrible South carolina team that forces their coach to retire MID SEASON after losing to us.

This fan base has supported UK football for decades and flood to Nashville for toilet bowls. This coaching staff has blown smoke up our butt since day 1. Every year, talking about “great practices”, and “were going to be better”. We are not any better today than the first day Stoops came in.

Recruits are over the “talk”. Other than the KY kids, this last recruiting class was on Joker’s level, and KY doesnt produce enough to keep that up. Our vaunted 2014 class isnt even here anymore, and none of them transferred to a decent school, they all transferred to Jacksonville state, Alcorn, Toledo.

The gig is up. Stoops is in over his head, and the entire fan base knows it

• Patches
      11:35 am September 7, 2016 Permalink

The North Dakota State coach is waiting on your call Mitch.

• Jiminy Crickets
      1:03 pm September 7, 2016 Permalink

Nope, but the WKU coach is

• Patches
      1:27 pm September 7, 2016 Permalink

That would be a downgrade move for him…lol

9. Howdy Doody
    11:40 am September 7, 2016 Permalink

63 YEARS Old. 1976 UK Grad. Season Ticket and Donator for 40 years.
    NO WAY UK gets one more thin dime of my money for the slop KSR passes off as “growing pains”
    Money Talks. It is the LIFE BLOOD of NCAA Athletics.
    Let Mitch KNOW this is NOT what we all pay thru the nose for year, after year after year. Matt Jones gets in FREE. He has NO skin in the game.
    Let Matt pump the sunshine and smoke all he wants.
    I walked away this season and took my wallet with me.
    We will both return when the wuda, cuda, shuda bunch gets canned.
    And it can not happen a minute too soon.

10. sincitycat
    11:58 am September 7, 2016 Permalink

I was born a Kentucky fan almost seventy years ago. No matter how much it hurts, I will always be a Kentucky Wildcat. Go Big Blue!!!

11. Callinstraight
    12:05 pm September 7, 2016 Permalink

It’s easy for me to continue to watch and cheer for my Cats: my life does not revolve around whether they win or lose. I have a good time tailgating and a good time watching them play. If they win, great. If they lose, not so great but I likely still had a fun experience. I’m good with that.

• Howdy Doody
      12:52 pm September 7, 2016 Permalink

Would you be so supportive IF UK Basketball were as bad as UK Football ?
      I doubt it…

• Callinstraight
      1:01 pm September 7, 2016 Permalink

Not much of a basketball fan. Like it when the BB Cats win but don’t get upset when they lose. I’m a football guy. Played the game through college. It’s a game. Nothing more; nothing less.

12. kycats13
    12:43 pm September 7, 2016 Permalink

I think we should bring Joker back as a Coaching Analyst.

13. ncaa is in on it
    3:23 pm September 7, 2016 Permalink

I used to live in coach Claibornes neighborhood and i knew a kid that used to egg the coaches house every time they lost. if they lost 14 to 10 he would throw 14 eggs at 10p,m he told me it made him feel better and had nothing to do with not paying to have his grass mowed by the same kid that did everyone on his street except for him.