BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: A UK Fan Turns Into a Duke Fan……How That Happens

BigBlueHistory

(I’m sorry, did I just post Cameron Mills ending the Blue Devils in 1998?  I think I did)

I am wrapping up my honeymoon this week but have been giving this post over to the people closest to me in life.  Some of them are UK fans and some of them are not but they all know about this site and I am excited to give them their chance to write a post.  Everybody has that topic that they just love to talk (or write) about, even if it comes from our rivals.  Today, I gave my one and only Duke friend, Andrew, the chance to explain himself.  I think you’ll enjoy this piece and maybe, just maybe, have the slightest respect for a Duke fan:

I can remember vividly sitting in my parents living room watching the (in)famous Duke-UK 1992 East Regional Final.  I was 6 years old and was a loud and proud UK fan.  I can remember Christian Laettner hitting the miraculous shot…  I can remember feeling my heart tore out…  And I can remember pledging a life-long hatred for Duke.  All of this hatred changed the following fall when my brother started his freshman semester at Duke University.  At first, it was weird to have your brother attend the institution that ripped your heart out just a few months earlier.  Throughout his college career, my hatred toward Duke morphed into fandom and I have been a Duke fan ever since.

All that being said, it was a lonely experience cheering for Pantone 287 (the blue associated with Duke) instead of Pantone 286 (the blue associated with UK).  While many of my friends wore Tony Delk and Jamal Mashburn jerseys, I wore Grant Hill and Bobby Hurley jerseys (I even had Hurley’s short-lived ITZ [In The Zone] shoes…  what I wouldn’t give to have those shoes now!).

Throughout my years, I’ve decided that UK fans have long memories of hatred for Duke, both for Laettner’s stomp and for the coach with a mousy look and an obvious dye-job.  However, if there’s anything that I’ve learned throughout my 32 years in this great Commonwealth, it’s that there are undertones of respect for a program that has pretty much done it the right way.  Most anyone I speak with will admit that they respect Coach K and most anyone I speak with feels that Duke players are players that, had they gone to UK, they would have gladly cheered for.  This mirrors my feelings towards UK; a coach that has (while at UK) built a brand that is only equaled by that of Duke and players that are only equaled by that of Duke.  I even give Coach Cal credit for helping change Coach K’s stance on recruiting one-and-dones.

The duality of rivalries is built both on hatred for the other program and undertones of respect for that very program.  I both dislike UK and appreciate the very fact that the rare Duke-UK matchup is what makes college basketball great… something that is only replicated by the likes of the Red Sox/Yankees in baseball, and Michigan/Ohio State and Auburn/Alabama in college football.

I look forward to the next Duke/UK matchup.  Until that time, GO BLUE DEVILS!

Article written by Bryan the Intern

27 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: A UK Fan Turns Into a Duke Fan……How That Happens

1. Booby Petrino
    10:06 am September 6, 2017 Permalink

Scanned down the page and saw the last sentence. That should never be spoken on this site. Just when you think BTI can’t suck anymore than he already does, he gets his buddy to write this crap. Go away.

• Wildcat85
      10:20 am September 6, 2017 Permalink

Ditto. BTI contributes nothing to this site.

• Bryan the Intern
      4:24 pm September 6, 2017 Permalink

Agreed.

2. secrick
    10:19 am September 6, 2017 Permalink

If we all liked every team would sports even be any fun? Hate Duke but love the games when we play them.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:19 am September 6, 2017 Permalink

I would have a LOT more respect for Duke and less animosity for them if the NCAA double standard did not apply to them. And don’t tell me that it does not exist. Corey Magette. Lance Thomas. If either of those scandals happened at UK, they would be facing multi-year post season bans and loss of banners if not an outright death penalty. When it’s Duke, it gets conveniently swept under the NCAA rug. Move along folks, nothing to see here. I feel the same way about UNC and UCLA. Sorry – just how it is. UK served their penance and gets dragged through the dirt to this day, but these programs get a pass and are talked about as “doing it the right way”. Puuuuleeeeze.

4. saltrockkid
    10:35 am September 6, 2017 Permalink

This could be the dumbest post in the history of this site. Your friend Andrew must be an idiot to write that UK fans have “an undertone of respect for a program that has pretty much done it the right way”.

Comments like this is the main reason we hate this pathetic school more than any other. I personally wouldn’t have a friend like Andrew or an employee like BTI.

I personally recommend all UK fans read the book “Duke Sucks”…..it is a scientific look at all the hypocrisy and “doucheism” that is Duke University. After reading this you will see they don’t do things “the right way”.

5. ClutchCargo
    10:38 am September 6, 2017 Permalink

I actually allowed myself to be suckered into reading this steaming pile of dog crap. That’s 60 seconds I will never get back. With this post BTI takes sucking to a level I didn’t think possible.

And no, I have no respect whatsoever for a Duke fan who was previously a UK fan. So gtfo with that crap.

6. John Henry
    10:51 am September 6, 2017 Permalink

It took me four sentences to conclude this was fiction or words from an insane person. Respect Duke? What is there to respect about Duke and their basketball program? Is BTI a closet Duke fan? Maybe but if he is or is not he has a well earned reputation of sucking. A review of this articles reveals he contributes nothing to KSR but controversy and in your face put downs of all of our athletic teams.

7. Dee
    10:56 am September 6, 2017 Permalink

BTI…I love you, man….BUT JEEBUS. Have you lost your mind?!? The post was tolerable until “Andrew” uttered the words “….a program that has pretty much done it the right way.” THAT demonstrates the pompous attitude that makes us HATE. And “Andrew”, you are not and never were a “UK fan” if you are a duke fan. I literally would punch a family member in the throat if they tried that crap with me.

Duke is a fine academic institution…. but a “TRUE UK Fan” would NEVER under any circumstances root for Duke. literally makes my skin crawl.

I am disgusted with you BTI. What has married life done to you……..

8. Brad Bader
    10:58 am September 6, 2017 Permalink

Well, I guess when content is in short supply, you’ve got to do something generate hits.

9. Yoda
    11:10 am September 6, 2017 Permalink

This is objectively terrible writing. The bottom line is: “I became a Duke fan because I have no spine and decided to cheer for a school my brother went to even though they are evil”. There’s no reasoning given or supporting evidence, such as admiration for style of play, history, personality of particular players or coaches, Cameron Indoor, campouts…nothing. He tries to put the two programs on equal footing by using allegorical evidence that “if a Duke player came to UK we’d cheer for them” and “at least Coach K recruits one-and-done players now” or something. If I were grading this in school, the writer would get a C- at best. Can’t believe KSR let BTI publish this drivel.

• ClutchCargo
      11:26 am September 6, 2017 Permalink

Agreed. And pretty good breakdown of how much BTI sucks.

10. runningunnin.454
    11:31 am September 6, 2017 Permalink

Duke’s coach tolerates poor sportsmanship, and allows his guys to stomp and trip opponents intentionally….and he does nothing.
    He also feels it appropriate to scold a player on another team…he is beyond shameful.
    Got any extra jewelry, K?

• AirRaid98
      12:20 pm September 6, 2017 Permalink

Don’t forget the back surgery during an abysmal year that could’ve been postponed.

11. Thundercats
    12:14 pm September 6, 2017 Permalink

KSR hired a Duke fan. My how times have changed. BTI, your posts mean nothing to me!

12. Danny44324
    12:35 pm September 6, 2017 Permalink

The love affair with Duke neve surprises me. I do not, under any circumstances, have any respect for Coach K or Duke. They bashed Calipari for the one and done system. Then turn around and praise Coach K for adapting to the changes in college basketball.
    Their fans bash U.K. for being an “NBA Factory”, then turn around and praise Coach K for being a top notch recruiter. Duke can pound salt. In Cal I trust.

13. ukcamel
    12:58 pm September 6, 2017 Permalink

Nah. Duke sucks. Now let’s move on.

14. silverado
    1:30 pm September 6, 2017 Permalink

I would never root for Duke when they play us, but I do respect the program and especially the school. Three members of my immediate family are Duke graduates, they are not affiliated with the NCAA (whose rulings seem to be blamed for Duke’s avoidance of “scandal”) and they don’t talk smack about UK. Hatred for any team is out of the question (why waste the emotion?), while there isn’t an analyst in the country who would not count Coach K among the top 5 coaches in CBB. The best thing we can do is kick the crap out of Duke every time we play them. I’m all in for revenge, not hate.

• runningunnin.454
      2:32 pm September 6, 2017 Permalink

Nice try; but, when I try to respect K for giving his time to USA basketball, he demonstrates that he is totally bereft of character.
      If I were a coach, and my player intentionally stomps an opponent laying on the floor, he’s out the rest of that game, and suspended for the next.
      Building character is not his strong suit.

15. EdC
    1:53 pm September 6, 2017 Permalink

This pile of crap writing is akin to the Herald-Leader constantly trying to bring UK down. Why is this tool still writing on this site?

16. Cletis75
    3:15 pm September 6, 2017 Permalink

I have put up with this crap way too long! Just when I think Bti couldn’t possibly be a complete moron, he proves that he is 2x more ignorant than he was the day before. I will check in from time to time and see if he is still here, but I am done with KSR for a while, at least until Bumblef*** The Idiot is gone! Sorry to the other writers, you guys bring much more to the site than BTI. Get him out before he brings the rest of you down. No one should have to be associated with an a$$ clown of that magnitude!

17. Sentient Third Eye
    3:23 pm September 6, 2017 Permalink

Sort of like being a fan of Trump, but you like Hillary too. It violates the Law of Mutual Exclusivity.

18. JCBlue22
    3:30 pm September 6, 2017 Permalink

Doesn’t matter if you’ve got family at the institution, you’re still a bandwagon fan. Unless you’re from/live in the state or city of the university, or attended the university, you’re a bandwagon fan. I bet your friend is also a Cowboys fan.

19. KYcats11
    3:45 pm September 6, 2017 Permalink

Duke sucks, get this crap off the site.

20. johnfranke
    4:13 pm September 6, 2017 Permalink

BTI, I suppose by now you realize you made a BIG mistake!! Duke fans are not welcomed, period!!

21. dwlunchbox
    12:08 am September 7, 2017 Permalink

OMG. No flipping way! When Duke plays Louisville I want the floor to open up and suck them both to the 10th level of hell!